• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Note: This isn't a "they should port this to the Switch," thread, but more so discussing the system's hardware and features that allow for these titles to work.

Going off of my note, some of my favorite games on the Switch are those developed by Rayark: Cytus, VOEZ, and Deemo. I was thinking about how much more I play these games on my Switch than I did on my phone given the use of a bigger screen. I believe all of these releases have been successful for Rayark as well.

Which has me wondering, why don't more mobile game (mobage) developers follow Rayark's path and bring their games over to the Switch? I know some other games have followed a similar path like Muse Dash and Eat Beat Dead Spike-San. Also given that the Switch has better Wi-Fi options than any previous Nintendo console, combined with its portability, it could be possible for F2P games to have an audience here as well, not just one-off purchases like the ones I mentioned. I know I would play Bandori a lot more if it was on my Switch rather than having to make precise movements on my small phone.

What do you all think of the concept? Would you be interested in games like these?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine a big limit is the fact that they would want people to be able to play the game docked as well.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
First off - there are already alot of mobile games on Switch, its just that most os us dont care about them and they have a hard time competing with console quality games/ports.

Also 99% of Switch owners have a mobile device - so the porting might not be worth it, if the game already didnt take off on mobile. Especially when you factor in extra resources needed to optimize it for portable and TV mode.

Dec 23, 2017
Would be amazing. An untapped market Nintendo really could use. Also pc only game makers they should reach out to them. Switch can use all it can get. Since certain AAA publishers could care less that it is selling well, has a hungry fan base, and is modern enough tech wise.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Would be amazing. An untapped market Nintendo really could use. Also pc only game makers they should reach out to them. Switch can use all it can get. Since certain AAA publishers could care less that it is selling well, has a hungry fan base, and is modern enough tech wise.

Been noticing a lot of these mobile games, including the ones I mentioned, also get ported to PC. Also have been seeing PC games getting ported exclusively to the Switch too. Definitely something I feel like Nintendo should capitalize on.

I'm surprised they haven't at least for mobile games given that they're really good friends with Cygames and DeNA, some of the biggest people in that sector.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I have quite a few mobile ports on Switch too. Both OPUS games, Piczle Lines, VOEZ, Deemo, haven't got Cytus yet because the price is ridiculous, but I'll get it on sale. But yeah, there's a lot of high quality content on mobile that would fit on Switch and may appeal to an audience who would otherwise not give them to time of day simply due to being mobile games.

And NIntendo's own Dragalia Lost would translate so easily to Switch, even with the gacha mechanics.

Dec 23, 2017
Been noticing a lot of these mobile games, including the ones I mentioned, also get ported to PC. Also have been seeing PC games getting ported exclusively to the Switch too. Definitely something I feel like Nintendo should capitalize on.

I'm surprised they haven't at least for mobile games given that they're really good friends with Cygames and DeNA, some of the biggest people in that sector.
Man I'm glad we are on the same page. They really can help some of these mobile/pc publishers and developers expand their reach. I personally could care less about activision, ea, etc. they don't think enough of Nintendo or it's gamers to really give us their top tier games. So if their is a publisher like Bethesda that goes all in on Nintendo hardware I give them my money Day 1. Go all in or stay away.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should. It makes more sense to them than AAA devs even, it's basically just another store.

Give me stuff like Bang Dream and other japanese mobage and I may play them. Another Eden was announced for Switch like last year, I'm not sure if it was released, but more "ports" like this would be fine.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I've noticed a number of mobile ports making their way to Switch.

My guess is some developers rather not have to fiddle with getting controllers to work for their touch-only games. Or maybe Nintendo requires controller compatibility at least.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
They should. It makes more sense to them than AAA devs even, it's basically just another store.

Give me stuff like Bang Dream and other japanese mobage and I may play them. Another Eden was announced for Switch like last year, I'm not sure if it was released, but more "ports" like this would be fine.

Completely forgot about Another Eden, super excited to play that on Switch.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
One thing to consider is that Switch games cost a lot to update, whereas mobile games can be updated weekly without any problems. Anything that isn't a finished and static product is a real hassle to maintain on console.

Even Baba is You is long behind the PC version in terms of updates.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
There has definitely been a lack of them on Switch, digital cardgames like Shadowverse and Hearthstone would also be great on it. Would be a nice way to introduce traditional handheld only people to them and personally wouldn't mind another venue to play them even browser programmed games like the grub (Granblue). Some people would get surprised at the production values that some games have like Im@s SS.

The switch supports cross play, has ARM architecture so there shouldn't be much trouble porting them and i think that there have been undocked only games like VOEZ so i don't think that some specific requirements like control scheme and modes would be the problem.

The only potential drawback that i think that would stop the ports is the approval process being way slower than android/ios since the games update constantly.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing to consider is that Switch games cost a lot to update, whereas mobile games can be updated weekly without any problems. Anything that isn't a finished and static product is a real hassle to maintain on console.

That is an interesting point. This could really hold back many games as mobile is so service oriented.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico

This makes me curious: Are there any notable differences between updating Android/IOS? Can mobile updates get released way faster than consoles/PC?

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There sure isn't any reason why Dragalia Lost isn't on there. It's a Nintendo game and plays well on dual joystick lol

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There sure isn't any reason why Dragalia Lost isn't on there. It's a Nintendo game and plays well on dual joystick lol
Yeah, this annoys me. lol I buy every Nintendo system and still can't play all their games.

Some of them are better than lots of AAA garbage that these days looks more like a marketplace. Even mobile game disclose the rates to get items, lootbox games can't even be half assed to do that.
Yeah and some games are well made and closer in design to previous console classics. Granblue, for example, is way closer to what FF used to be than the latest FF even.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is "mobage" supposed to be short for "mobile game", like how "kusoge" is short for "shit game"?

I'd been thinking everyone was referring to Mobage for the longest time.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
This makes me curious: Are there any notable differences between updating Android/IOS? Can mobile updates get released way faster than consoles/PC?
All of the consoles require updates and releases to go through a fairly rigid certification process, and 'failing cert' is an expensive and slow process, as there are fees for every build submitted.

Still, it's a mystery how some of the Switch games ever got through cert.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'd even start from scratch if it meant I could play Dragalia Lost or Granblue on my Switch.

Dragalia Lost is one of the only gacha games I've stuck with at all and the devs are constantly replying to player feedback and improving. But my phone is crappy because I see no reason to dump money into a device I use so little aside from social media or emails.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like we are getting ports of mobile games every week. I really don't think games that are selling for billions of devices see a lot of advantages in selling for a audience of less than a hundred millions.

I think switch is getting enough mobile games, just not very few specific ones.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Mobage isn't kusoge but it's a term that has stuck for people that call F2P mobile games with constant updates kind of like how paper handkerchiefs are called Kleenex. The term is confused for kusoge as a way to use it in a derogatory sense much like otaku.

Kusoge: Shit game that could be a console or mobile game. Examples are Sonic 06, Fate Extella and the Harry Potter mobile game.
Kamige: Godlike game that could also be console or mobile. Examples are Splatoon 2, Ghost Trick and Im@s SS.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
There's some good mobile games on android, that i would love ported on the Switch. I just don't want to play em on my cell phone. You'd think some of the devs would put it there to make some extra bread, especially when some of these games on android may get ignored or forgotten about on android.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering how a game like Dragalia Lost would perform on the Switch, given its nature as an action RPG...

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mobage isn't kusoge but it's a term that has stuck for people that call F2P mobile games with constant updates kind of like how paper handkerchiefs are called Kleenex. The term is confused for kusoge as a way to use it in a derogatory sense much like otaku.

Kusoge: Shit game that could be a console or mobile game. Examples are Sonic 06, Fate Extella and the Harry Potter mobile game.
Kamige: Godlike game that could also be console or mobile. Examples are Splatoon 2, Ghost Trick and Im@s SS.
Most people I see just using for japanese mobile games, without implying they're good or bad. That's at least how I use it.

examples on point tho

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Would love to play Granblue on the switch as well as other gacha games but I guess it's unrealistic. Outside of gacha games though, it's definitely a different story and a possibility.

Caim

Oct 25, 2017
Another Eden for Switch is apparently still in the works.

Was brought up again during their 2nd anniversary stream awhile back.