• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, until fairly recently one of those serial sexual harassers at the top of Ubisoft's management was actively blocking anything more fantasy than what ever the fuck Assassin's Creed is nowadays. I've been saying for years that there was great potential for a TES clone in Ubisoft: they have great spacial design and even though Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is super old it serves as a great basis for something more ambitious. Just need to put in the right directors who understand what makes those games so immersive in the first place.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
who knows OP, ever since breakpoint (I think, all the ghost recon games blend in to me) floundered ubisoft realized they needed to diversify their shit

Immortals was delayed to get rid of ubisoftisms like tons of excess loot and leveling stats

and now the guy who hated fantasy is out too so there's hope

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
A Ubisoft Elder Scrolls clone that does not take 15 years to release a sequel would be a dream come true.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea. Seems like a no-brainer, and would make way more sense than these weird shoehorned Assassin's Creed games. Or a sci-fi RPG for that matter, given how heavily they've leaned into the third-person shooter RPG mechanics in The Division and Ghost Recon.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
In an ideal world, Ubisoft would make a lore-based fantasy RPG with lots of characters, sidequests and beautiful landscapes and would make it the foundation stone for a new universe.

In the real world, they will keep reharshing Assassin's Creed, adding fantasy elements and combat that distances it from what make the series famous and making low-effort games that are pretty much well-intentioned, but nowhere near what they should be.

Well, we're almost ten years since Skyrim release and objectively no one made a Skyrim-like and tried to evolve it's formula. Only a bunch of disgusting Souls-like games with the false premise of a challenge in a destroyed world with the same awful storytelling from the Souls games.

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017
I know it isn't what you specifically want, but Immortals is really good!

and wow how has no one made a competent Skyrim alike since it's been out, i would buy that in a second.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I know it isn't what you specifically want, but Immortals is really good!

and wow how has no one made a competent Skyrim alike since it's been out, i would buy that in a second.
Because Skyrim does a lot of small things that contributes to a larger whole which is what (a) makes it so buggy and (b) makes it so special. Nobody wants to do the engine work to make that possible

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil

Damn, I wish I was more subtle xD
But I really dislike the storytelling of Souls games. Lore is amazing, but it's really hard to even figure out stuff. Well, I think the immersion counts in the end.

On topic, I think Ubi is more than competent to make a good RPG franchise, but I don't think they are interested enough. It's a shame, because I think they are probably the last big studio with know-how and resources for that, but they prefer to keep making AssCreed forever and purpousely making the story less interesting in each version. Not even Watch Dogs can avoid that sometimes.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest here for a second, Ubisoft lore and storytelling absolutely sucks haha.

Now that I think about it, I think they would do poorly in a full fat fantasy setting game. At best it would be RPG lite, just looking at Immortals for example.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm actually loving Valhalla, but I too think about if they had a bunch of fantasy elements and how awesome that would be.

Immortals is a RPG now? Lol.

Even the recent AC games are more RPG than Immortals.
"Even?" I would call Valhalla an Western RPG just like I would Witcher 3 or something. They're really no different in terms of level of "RPG-ness." Maybe not the level of choices of an old Bioware RPG or something, but still.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
"Even?" I would call Valhalla an Western RPG just like I would Witcher 3 or something. They're really no different in terms of level of "RPG-ness." Maybe not the level of choices of an old Bioware RPG or something, but still.
Yeah, starting from Origin, AC has been evolving to become more and more closer to real RPG. Equipment, loot, skill tree, surface level choices, and so on. It's as RPG as JRPGs, if you know what I mean. So yeah, they're definitely a RPG, close enough to The Witcher 3 but still as complex as the likes of Obsidian and Larian RPGs.

Nov 8, 2017
As I understand it, the old editorial czars didn't think straight fantasy or scifi settings would sell. You'll note that over the last ten years, their tentpoles have almost always had some kind of either historical, modern or military bent to them. The DLC expansions were bolder, but it took a very long time before they loosened up on mainline stuff - the success of Witcher gives us more "fantasy skewed" Assassin's Creed, the success of BOTW gives us Immortals in it's current for (and Immortals is not quite the same scale of budget as AC anyway).

Now that editorial had an axe taken to it, I would definitely expect more varied stuff.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Could you elaborate on what you mean? I mean, what makes them "cheap" compared to other cartoony looks?

Nothing special, it's just that cartoony will always come off as cheap (in the literal sense of the word) compared to how top AAA games look, and that game looks particularly inspired by BotW.

jrb

Nov 9, 2017
I'd like them to do a fulll RPG in an historical setting. For example, playing as a mercenary in Iberian Peninsula with Christian and Muslim rulers, basically being someone like El Cid.

Or with some setting that they have already used so they have the world already built and work from there to create some nice story for the RPG.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
That would be redundant with the way AC games are going. Animus and first civ people shenanigans enable you to do some really fantastical stuff in those games. Which is why Immortals was so distnict visually, for better or for worse.

Of course they could do it but I don't see them invest time and money into something like that when they have AC.

Dec 15, 2017
Yeah, I wonder that as well. Also when Ubisoft is going to make a 10/10 generation defining game. Their games are 8/10 at best.

Oct 27, 2017
That would be redundant with the way AC games are going. Animus and first civ people shenanigans enable you to do some really fantastical stuff in those games. Which is why Immortals was so distnict visually, for better or for worse.

Of course they could do it but I don't see them invest time and money into something like that when they have AC.

We aren't talking about just having a few fantasy creatures and supernatural elements.

I think it is fair to expect lore, races, political factions, events, weapons, magic, monsters that fit into the trope. You can call fantasy many things, but I think we all know what gamers mean when they say fantasy: a DnD/LotR/Warcraft model, hopefully with a unique spin and decent writing. European or Far-East Medieval-Renaissance period, the tone of the game has to be between LotR and GoT. Plenty if IPs from either past games or books are available for this specific criteria game.

So yes, when people say Ubisoft made AC Fantasy DLC, or Immortals, it is not what the OP, nor I want. And this is probably why Immortals suffers a lot, because it is the fantasy with the visuals, heroes and tone that just does not appeal to the my epic fantasy game wishes.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
We aren't talking about just having a few fantasy creatures and supernatural elements.

I think it is fair to expect lore, races, political factions, events, weapons, magic, monsters that fit into the trope. You can call fantasy many things, but I think we all know what gamers mean when they say fantasy: a DnD/LotR/Warcraft model, hopefully with a unique spin and decent writing. European or Far-East Medieval-Renaissance period, the tone of the game has to be between LotR and GoT. Plenty if IPs from either past games or books are available for this specific criteria game.

So yes, when people say Ubisoft made AC Fantasy DLC, or Immortals, it is not what the OP, nor I want. And this is probably why Immortals suffers a lot, because it is the fantasy with the visuals, heroes and tone that just does not appeal to the my epic fantasy game wishes.
You can want and expect whatever you want, I'm saying that I don't see them doing a realistic fantasy setting ala Witcher 3 as long as AC exists in the way it does. They would appear way too similar. Immortals is the closest they are likely going to get.

I'm personally done with generic european settings so I'm not a fan of the idea.