• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
If you have to guess, you failed reading comprehension. You are just being Comic Store guy to be smug.

You knock people's heads off their shoulders in AC: V. People burn alive. "Mature" can be many things but if you have to squint to understand my meaning, that's on you.
Clearly not since as you said yourself most of the intial reply's were about a new ubisoft game.

OP
OP
Orangecoke

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Because after 17 years they still have no idea what to do with the Might & Magic IP after they bought it (and fans have repeatedly turned up their noses at the Ashan setting Ubi created)
Ohhhh, that could really be something! Resurrect the IP. Ok I said I would stop following this lol (I'm still interested in the topic).

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
I'm not a huge fan of Immortals style but it in no way looks like a mobile game.

We definitely don't need yet another "mature" Western fantasy RPG, though. Why not some more lighthearted stuff that appeals to all ages?

It doesn't look like mobile, but it has that cheap Nintendo cartoony look, and i don't like it either.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I do agree it would carry risk. Doesn't mean they couldn't try it though - even with a separate team. Publishers do prefer the safer route of existing IP but they also from time to time (with mixed success) try to launch new lines.
In a way, that is also the same reason we haven't seen a new Prince of Persia in over a decade. The AC brand has become so massive that they're using it to experiment with various different formulas rather than developing separate IP's around said formulas. And since people will buy those games anyway because the box says Assassin's Creed, it's a much safer route for them than the alternative.

Assassin's Creed stopped being Assassin's Creed over half a decade ago, and this is essentially why; it's now being used as a low-risk testbed for other ideas rather than sticking to its own roots.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not my fault OP can't describe what he wants and you have to guess. I've never heard of skyrim being called mature in my life before this thread.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - ESRB

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Mature 17+ - This is a fantasy role-playing game in which players assume the role of Dovakin, a prophesied figure with the power to combat dragons in the fictional world of Skyrim.

Just stop, please.

OP
OP
Orangecoke

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
In a way, that is also the same reason we haven't seen a new Prince of Persia in over a decade. The AC brand has become so massive that they're using it to experiment with various different formulas rather than developing separate IP's around said formulas. And since people will buy those games anyway because the box says Assassin's Creed, it's a much safer route for them than the alternative.

Assassin's Creed stopped being Assassin's Creed over half a decade ago, and this is essentially why; it's now being used as a low-risk testbed for other ideas rather than sticking to its own roots.
Yeah, that makes sense (I'm not being sarcastic).

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Because after 17 years they still have no idea what to do with the Might & Magic IP after they bought it. Aand fans have repeatedly turned up their noses at the Ashan setting Ubi created.

This is the real problem. Hell, they could simply remake/remaster any of Might and Magic 1-8 and it would be an incredible game, with very little risk.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - ESRB

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Mature 17+ - This is a fantasy role-playing game in which players assume the role of Dovakin, a prophesied figure with the power to combat dragons in the fictional world of Skyrim.

Just stop, please.
Ah here you can't expect everyone to know american age ratings off the top of their head. I only read this thread becuase I'm generally interested in why people think art styles make games 'don't count'. I find ubisoft games don't hold my interest in general.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I've never heard of skyrim being called mature in my life before this thread.

Well, it's literally in the box.

images

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of Immortals style but it in no way looks like a mobile game.

We definitely don't need yet another "mature" Western fantasy RPG, though. Why not some more lighthearted stuff that appeals to all ages?

We can do both, please and thank you. My only request of another Western fantasy RPG is that it does something unique in terms of what it draws on. Like if they made a fantasy RPG but used Chinese mythology, for instance.

Ah here you can't expect everyone to know american age ratings off the top of their head. I only read this thread becuase I'm generally interested in why people think art styles make games 'don't count'. I find ubisoft games don't hold my interest in general.

So you just wanted to drag the OP into a discussion he had no interest in participating in.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking morr
Lord of the rings / Valhalla not immortals. Riding over the countryside and a high dragon just flying would be amazing

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
Because the person who had the final word on what a game could be at Ubisoft didn't allow it. Good news is that this man, Serge Hascoët, had to resign earlier this year because it was made public he was a raging misogynist that should be in prison (like many other people at Ubisoft). Bad news is that it would take 3 or 4 years to see any big games from Ubisoft that wasn't greenlighted by him.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
But they won't. They've realized that the quantity over quality approach sells. Same with Elder Scrolls and handholding. It sells. I don't see either going back to the way they used to be.
I unfortunately agree. I haven't played Valhalla yet, but Odyssey amplified all the bloat issues that Origins had, and that sucked, because I felt Origins was already too bloated and could have used a lot of trimming. And now I expect Valhalla to be even more bloated than Odyssey....

It's unfortunate. Perhaps with Hascoët out, things will change (not just for the employees but for game design philosophy as well, the dude sucked there too, unsurprisingly), though I don't know how much of an impact he had on this specifically.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing about the Might and Magic IP is how versatile it is with its roots in fantasy and sci-fi. You can make a high fantasy game, strategy RPG, you could even do a starfighter game.

Ubisoft has utterly squandered an enormous amount of potential with that IP.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The hand holding of skyrim mixed with the bloat of Ubisoft games sounds like the exact opposite of what I want.

Every game's not meant for you, though.

Because the person who had the final say on what a game can be at Ubisoft didn't allow it. Good news is that this man, Serge Hascoët, had to resign earlier this year because it was made public he was a raging misogynist that should be in prison (like many other people at Ubisoft). Bad news is that it would take 3 or 4 years to see any big games from Ubisoft that wasn't greenlighted by him.

Yeah this is ultimately the main reason. I always thought it was strange Ubisoft didn't even TRY to make a fantasy game.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
We can do both, please and thank you. My only request of another Western fantasy RPG is that it does something unique in terms of what it draws on. Like if they made a fantasy RPG but used Chinese mythology, for instance.

So you just wanted to drag the OP into a discussion he had no interest in participating in.
OP started that discussion when people gave an example of an ubisoft fantasy game and he said it didn't count.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Not my fault OP can't describe what he wants and you have to guess. I've never heard of skyrim being called mature in my life before this thread.

Is it so hard to understand what the OP wants? He wants a fantasy game with direct control over the character(not turn based) with the look and feel of Valhalla. think Dragons Age Origins with direct combat or something like Dragons Dogma coupled with Valhalla graphics/scope and "mature" themes/writing.

he doesn´t want a BOTW lookalike with cartoon colours, childish looking protagonists and "supposed to be funny but isn´t" dialogues aimed at a younger demography.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
To torment my soul. I am still waiting for them to give it a try. I expect they would be good at it.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Is it so hard to understand what the OP wants? He wants a fantasy game with direct control over the character(not turn based) with the look and feel of Valhalla. think Dragons Age Origins with direct combat or something like Dragons Dogma coupled with Valhalla graphics/scope and "mature" themes/writing.

he doesn´t want a BOTW lookalike with cartoon colours and childish looking protagonists aimed at a younger demography.
I mean thats the problem yeah? Most mass media fantasy is aimed at younger demographics regardless of art style.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Immortals is one of my favorite games of the year and even I knew that wasn't what the OP was talking about just by reading the thread title. Come on, folks, you know what they meant.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know exactly what you mean OP. Not really sure why people are bending over backwards to have some kind of gotcha moment.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
When people talk about fantasy RPGs, they're generally talking medieval fantasy. Greek gods is a whole other thing. Might as well be suggesting urban fantasy like the upcoming World of Darkness games.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Allegedly they were working on a King Arthur Monster Hunter-style game where the Knights of the Round hunted monsters, and it was killed internally by that horrible creative guy that just got ousted for his abuse and harassment. It was in a Schreier Bloomberg article recently, if I remember correctly.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking the other day that I'd like to see Ubisoft try their hand at a Bioware style RPG. At some point, they should asset flip their Assassins Creed investment into trying their hand at one. Squad controls and all.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
General speaking, when people refer to fantasy they are not referring to Greek mythology. The OP is most likely asking why Ubi doesn't make a game in the vein Tolkien/DnD style of fantasy. If I recall, during the whole sexual harassment implosion it came out that basically one guy was in charge of greenlighting games and their settings, and now that he's gone maybe we'll see more diverse settings from Ubisoft.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Odyssey would've fit this bill decently if the mythical bosses were more frequent... and actually fun to fight.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed more or less covers that exact market for Ubisoft, and The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age and Middle Earth Shadow series (and soon Unavowed, Dragon's Dogma 2, Elden Ring and Final Fantasy XVI) already exist as competition.