• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Ok - I'm about 40 hours into Valhalla so far. After the recent patches, PS5 performance is quite good (good enough to not really be a problem anymore). I find myself thinking the game is underrated and I'm really, really impressed by the scope and detail of it all. It's not perfect, and it's probably too long, but man it's gorgeous. I could live without "horses crawl uphill" (I get it's more realistic).

So I look at this country-side, the castles, the foliage, the characters, the horses etc etc. And I think - imagine if you had this world, and this caliber of characters, but you added monsters and magic to it?

I mean, wouldn't it be one hell of an RPG? I'd buy that in a second (assuming it wasn't buggy and broken).

EDIT

Of course I know about Immortals. That's not what I mean (I thought I made it clear but...). I mean the fidelity and graphics and maturity of Valhalla, but fantasy. Like Skyrim, but not.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I think the problem is that Valhalla scale games are very, very expensive to produce. Making it an original IP is a huge risk. Using the AC name guarantees your 10 million sales right away.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Immortals is literally that haha. Also, Valhalla has a whole
Asgard arc.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Immortals. I think Immortals sequel will be more of what you want though.

Oct 25, 2017
We can quibble all day about execution of the idea, but "Why doesn't Ubisoft just do Assassin's Creed but with magic and monsters" is answered: they did, like a month ago.

If I may be so bold, while Immortals is a quality game that kind of breaks the Ubisoft mold, Greek mythology IS kind of a proven setting for video games. It isn't like they used one that is unfamiliar for games or built something from the ground up.

OP
OP
Orangecoke

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Jeeeeezuz guys, I'm talking about the engine, look, feel, level of detail of Valhalla. Come on :D

(For the record I do plan to buy Immortals on sale, but that's not what I'm looking for in this case).

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
If I may be so bold, while Immortals is a quality game that kind of breaks the Ubisoft mold, Greek mythology IS kind of a proven setting for video games. It isn't like they used one that is unfamiliar for games or built something from the ground up.

So how is a fantasy setting less bold than a Greek mythology setting? A medieval fantasy setting is one of the most common things in gaming.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Could be a demographic thing, where they know who their product appeals to, and what they can generally expect in terms of success because of those returning consumers. Fresh new ideas or new directions for projects are a risk and don't always pan out for a number of reasons. Bad execution, branding, marketing, bad design, taste and preferences, market saturation because of popularity, etc. I would love a new Child of Light game, but I'm sure that's not gonna happen. When people think of swords and sorcery types games, they I don't think Ubisoft takes the top three in their thoughts nine times out of ten. I could be wrong about that though.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until a few years ago, it was very hard to pitch basic sci-fi and high fantasy AAA stuff at Ubisoft. Editorial, as it was until recently, was not into it.

Part of me sees the advantage to this conservative approach because as soon as you wade into that territory you're competing with studios who have spent decades perfecting their craft.

OP
OP
Orangecoke

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
If the weirdly specific question is "Why haven't they made a fantasy game like Assassin's Creed with maturity and shit," then the answer is Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Is it though? I'm talking about fireballs and magic missiles here. It's not weirdly specific. I'm asking why not use the currently stunning (esp in the medieval setting of Valhalla) engine of AC and make a fantasy RPG.

That's a pretty straightforward question if people don't trip all over themselves trying to give the smart-alec answers.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
wasn't there an article about how the misogynist fuckface shut down some fantasy pitch because he personally disliked fantasy stuff of something?

Maybe you'll get more fantasy stuff now that Serge Hascoett has fucked off into the ether.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
In general they need more interesting settings for their games, a lot of their titles are relatively grounded, and this is one of the main reasons I am looking forward to BGAE2.

Also am not sure why people are tripping over themselves, op is askin for a full-on Ubisoft AAAA high fantasy game.

I tbh will take the most generic Toklien-esque fantasy game over another AC/WD/FC/Tom Clancy game.

OP
OP
Orangecoke

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
wasn't there an article about how the misogynist fuckface shut down some fantasy pitch because he personally disliked fantasy stuff of something?

Maybe you'll get more fantasy stuff now that Serge Hascoett has fucked off into the ether.
Could be. I think they could honestly launch an entirely new franchise with it personally. Having said that, I know it can be hard to launch a new IP, for sure.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Because it would be an unnecessary risk. They are already using the AC brand to experiment with those kinds of games. By doing so they at least guarantee sales regardless of the actual quality of the product.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Why don't they make an open world game with guns and squads and all that, kinda like Tom Clancy you know?
Clearly they haven't made one of these games already!

OP
OP
Orangecoke

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
Because it would be an unnecessary risk. They are already using the AC brand to experiment with those kinds of games. By doing so they at least guarantee sales regardless of the actual quality of the product.
I do agree it would carry risk. Doesn't mean they couldn't try it though - even with a separate team. Publishers do prefer the safer route of existing IP but they also from time to time (with mixed success) try to launch new lines.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Is it though? I'm talking about fireballs and magic missiles here. It's not weirdly specific. I'm asking why not use the currently stunning (esp in the medieval setting of Valhalla) engine of AC and make a fantasy RPG.

That's a pretty straightforward question if people don't trip all over themselves trying to give the smart-alec answers.
Nah sorry OP you can't use the words magic missle's and mature in the same argument. That's absurd. Just say you want semi realistic graphics.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I agree, your OP was clear enough, and I think everyone trying to gotcha you is being obtuse at best.

And yeah, I think the answer might lie in Serge Hascoët, I recall him hating classic fantasy settings or some such.

Nah sorry OP you can't use the words magic missle's and mature in the same argument. That's absurd. Just say you want semi realistic graphics.
Case in point. Are you pretending that you don't know exactly what the OP meant, and just want to smugly score points?

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I mean when I say their new franchise is stuck with the Assassin's Creed name. Because that franchise should be this, but it ain't.

And people saying Immortals, please be joking. It's not even pretending to be an RPG.

Edit: Though the chip on my shoulder is more on the RPG part than the fantasy part. I can take or leave the fireballs, I just wish AC committed to being an RPG.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Orangecoke

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I agree, your OP was clear enough, and I think everyone trying to gotcha you is being obtuse at best.

And yeah, I think the answer might lie in Serge Hascoët, I recall him hating classic fantasy settings or some such.

Case in point. Are you pretending that you don't know exactly what the OP meant, and just want to smugly score points?
Thanks - yeah tbh I was hoping for an interesting discussion (and I still think the AC tech and formula could make an incredible fantasy RPG...) but I'm gonna unfollow this thread. I'd just delete it, but can't.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Exactly this, and it's why Mike Laidlaw left. He was trying to get a fantasy project going and it got shut down.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017

Not my fault OP can't describe what he wants and you have to guess. I've never heard of skyrim being called mature in my life before this thread.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of Immortals style but it in no way looks like a mobile game.

We definitely don't need yet another "mature" Western fantasy RPG, though. Why not some more lighthearted stuff that appeals to all ages?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks - yeah tbh I was hoping for an interesting discussion (and I still think the AC tech and formula could make an incredible fantasy RPG...) but I'm gonna unfollow this thread. I'd just delete it, but can't.

OP I actually made a thread exactly like this a long time ago, so I agree with you and see exactly what you mean. I don't think Immortals is that game either, and I don't know why anyone thinks it is? I'm sorry you feel like you have to close the thread.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I think Ubisoft is just too scared to invest that level of resources on a franchise that isn't AC.

But I agree with you OP. I think it would be amazing if we had a fantasy RPG on the level of AC Valhalla. They could use so many assets and mechanics from that game. I wish Ubisoft would take the plunge.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not my fault OP can't describe what he wants and you have to guess. I've never heard of skyrim being called mature in my life before this thread.
No, OP was very clear. You're being willufly obtuse now. Mature is used very often to describe games like Skyrim as opposed to games like Immortals.

Your post was perfectly understandable and clear, don't worry. Also I agree,a game with the tone and style and visuals of AC with full on fantasy could be amazing.

OP
OP
Orangecoke

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
If you have to guess, you failed reading comprehension. You are just being Comic Store guy to be smug.

You knock people's heads off their shoulders in AC: V. People burn alive. "Mature" can be many things but if you have to squint to understand my meaning, that's on you.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Because after 17 years they still have no idea what to do with the Might & Magic IP after they bought it. Aand fans have repeatedly turned up their noses at the Ashan setting Ubi created.