• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Because Nintendo are cheap bastards that pretend their games are better than other games to justify ovepricing their games in an anti consumer fashion and because people will defend that practice

Nintendo depend pretty much exclusively on first party sales for their profits so i'm not dragging them for it, but its the reality of the situation and i hate it.

*I like that Sony lowers the cost of their games significantly now. Buying Horizon GOTY for 20 bucks is just a steal, only reason i jumped on it*
That makes you a cheap bastard?
Nintendo titles don't drop in price. They only print x amount of games and ship them out to each store. There isn't a surplus since it sells out so quick. They control the supply side and they know their games sell, so why drop the price and thus their profit margins?

There might be a sale on certain Nintendo titles every now and then.
God bless digital purchases.

Oct 27, 2017
do you mean original or on trade ins? either way, shops probably wouldn't mess with the price too much from RRP unless they were trying to clear shelf space is my suspicion. why make an easy sale for $5 margin when you can just leave it out on display and make $15 on margin later or whatever

side note, but i can't believe anyone greenlighted wonderful 101 out of anything other than a love of letting kamiya do whatever the fuck he wants. incredible game, sold like a brick. a garbage brick. Made of leaves.
Guessing it was probably Iwata (or whoever was in charge of EAD at the time) that greenlit Wonderful 101. I'll forever be grateful for it though. One of my favorite games. It continues to annoy me we'll never get a sequel.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017

This seems to miss what is probably one of the bigger factors: people don't sell their Nintendo games. If more people flooded the market with used games, sellers would compete with each other by lowering prices and Nintendo would respond by lowering the price of new copies.

Last edited:

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you decrease their price when you are certain they will keep selling no matter what because your fanbase has been conditioned to accept the status quo without question.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Dear God, this thread blew up.

You can see that in markets like mobile, where Nintendo doesn't have sole pricing rights, they have indeed raced to the bottom - Mario Kart Tour appears to be a bog-standard F2P game in the same vein as Sega Heroes, to name a famous competing company.
Exactly, if Nintendo acted as a normal gaming company ala EA or Ubisoft, you would see a lot more similar aspects in their titles. Instead they offer DLC with a lot of value like Mario Kart 8, where you could get extra levels and additional characters for I believe it was $20? 1/3rd of the games price for 6 new characters and 16 new courses. Not bad at all.

Oct 29, 2017
Because they don't devalue their games for short-term profits like every other publisher.

They're not interested in playing Race To The Bottom because they're not stupid.

Jan 10, 2018
You buy a Nintendo console for 1 3D Mario, 1 Smash, 1 Donkey Kong, 1 Mario Kart, 1 Zelda, 1 Pokemon, 1 whatever.

No point in lowering price if there is not good one reason to replace these games with something else.

Tokklyym

Oct 28, 2017
Why would you decrease their price when you are certain they will keep selling no matter what because your fanbase has been conditioned to accept the status quo without question.

What is the status quo here? This thread is literally "Why doesn't Nintento do what the rest of the industry does?"

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but one of the silver linings about Nintendo's first party never going on sale is you can generally buy at release, keep for a month or two and then throw on eBay for a ~$10-15 loss. It's great for getting new games that you are on the fence about.

Either way I agree, really want to double dip on DKCTF but already beat on Wii U. Such a fantastic game.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
What? I don't feel bad for anyone. Gamers should be selective in consuming the content they want to consume. By all means do what works best for you. This thread is full of passive aggressiveness and guilt tripping more than anything from people complaining about the $60 price tag.

If you want to play old games for cheaper go ahead, no one is stopping you. I do the same thing for some titles. If you want to play Nintendo games for cheaper than I have no idea what to tell you. If you can't buy them no one is to blame but you.

If I am interested in a game that I know may be cheaper than $60 some months from release. I will still purchase it at $60 day one. My time is far more valuable than my money and I don't care about waiting to play something to save an extra $20-$40 in the long run as if that amount of money actually means anything in the long run. If I can afford it at that moment I will purchase it-- if not I will wait till I can.

I will pay $60 for something I know I will play instead of paying $20 for 3 games that I am not even sure I will get around to.

Hey, I'm just explaining my stance. I'm not even talking about people like you. Your stance is fine, totally logical.

Im specifically saying that I find people who say something along the lines of "I feel good buying Nintendo games day 1 because I know they will still be the same price next year. I don't buy Sony games day 1 because I know they will go on sale" amusing. I'm not even trying to invalidate that idea, it's just a baffling take that frequently comes up in these threads.

It's Nintendo's prerogative to set their prices as they wish. I'm not going around spouting nonsense about it being anti-consumer, or feeling entitled like they owe me cheaper games. I simply set my own standards of value, and act accordingly. There are plenty of sales of Nintendo first party games anyway.

There is plenty of passive aggressiveness tossed around on both "sides" here. People talking about Nintendo being stingy on one hand. On the other you have people who truly believe Nintendo games are fundamentally more valuable than the competition. It's all good for a laugh watching the same old ideas being thrown around for people trying to justify their particular spending habits.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think the reason is that Nintendo has way less competition than the other ones. I think the number of PS and Xbox big seller games (let's say >2M) is way higher than the one in Nintendo home consoles, so since they are released frequently they need to compete more aggresively, specially when counting multiplatform games.

Which means that first it's more difficult for them to compete for shelves space, and after the sales spike of the first 2 or 3 months is very likely that they reduce their price. Meanwhile in Nintendo since they have less huge games competing in the shelves the same one can stay there for longer.

At least in some main games Nintendo fans keep buying these games for a longer period of time than usual, so they keep for a longer period of times in the shop. In my opinion like Apple fans, Nintendo fans also defend and overrate whatever Nintendo does, even if it's very anticonsumer. Like having more expensive prices, cheap accesories that need to be built by you, even a balance board, etc.

For you it may be a bad idea, but for them is a masterpiece. But well, I believe in religious freedom.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Most other companies treat software releases like items on a schedule with "best by" date. Release them, extract money from them, discount them to move stale stock on store shelves, then move on to other products.

Nintendo likes to imagine that their games will sell for a long time as premium content for their platform. They don't quickly replace a game with another similar game after its initial hype period has worn out. They let their games have the spotlight for years after they release.

When they do discount their games, it's usually straight to $20 as a greatest hits library, or as part of a bigger promo. They don't just price cut their games because they've been out for a while; they don't see game valuation as being tied strictly to release date.
Limit supply more than other companies so there's generally no mass fire sales ( it's normally the other way around - hard to find stock)

Their games don't seem to get traded in as much ( presumably because they won't get cheaper to buy down the line so you may aswell hold onto it and they're also usually high quality)

They tend to make 1 maybe 2 game of each per generation so they don't devalue the game and they'll have a healthy playerbase throughout the generation

As for digitally? Well, Nintendo relies on their first party so there's no incentive to put games on sale unlike ms and Sony who can have massive sales as they have huge third party support

Read the first page of replies and these are mostly it.

As the 'owner' Nintendo decides pricing of its games by first limiting supply to its supply chain, distributors and retailers. Most retailers aren't sitting on a ton of Nintendo stock that they want to get rid of and discount at their own cost. Sony Microsoft probably have 30% margin on its products but I'd imagine Nintendo would be 25% or lower maybe even 20%. Thus you wouldn't get much of a first day discount unless the retailer wanted to lose money on the product.

Nintendo also releases products and assumes long shelf life, thus retailers can be comfortable to buy a product knowing the product won't get discounted wholesale and thus retailers won't get stuck with the product that it can't sell because other retailers are getting it for way cheaper.

Sony/Microsoft want their retailers to sell through as many copies as they can as fast they can while the price is high. Then they lower the price to reach more consumers who didn't value the game as much. That's because many Sony/Microsoft games need their own marketing campaign. Whereas Nintendo needs it less so because Mario/Zelda and other Nintendo franchises are well known already.

In summary, Nintendo don't want to devalue Mario and Sony don't have a Mario type game that can hold its value over a long period of time. If Sony did they probably would do the same.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Hey, I'm just explaining my stance. I'm not even talking about people like you. Your stance is fine, totally logical.

Im specifically saying that I find people who say something along the lines of "I feel good buying Nintendo games day 1 because I know they will still be the same price next year. I don't buy Sony games day 1 because I know they will go on sale" amusing. I'm not even trying to invalidate that idea, it's just a baffling take that frequently comes up in these threads.

It's Nintendo's prerogative to set their prices as they wish. I'm not going around spouting nonsense about it being anti-consumer, or feeling entitled like they owe me cheaper games. I simply set my own standards of value, and act accordingly. There are plenty of sales of Nintendo first party games anyway.

There is plenty of passive aggressiveness tossed around on both "sides" here. People talking about Nintendo being stingy on one hand. On the other you have people who truly believe Nintendo games are fundamentally more valuable than the competition. It's all good for a laugh watching the same old ideas being thrown around for people trying to justify their particular spending habits.

You had me until the last paragraph.

That's something that is up to the buyer to decide. If they see value in being Nintendo games at $60 and will knowingly wait for a Sony game that they are mildly interested in to drop in price then so be it. I am sure most can make the case for it and some buy those Sony games at $60 anyway... Now, Nintendo having more value than other games? Well, that is debatable of course. I do believe Nintendo does have some of the best across the board quality control when it comes to their properties though. And for a lot of fans, they do offer something you can't really get elsewhere, like say Smash, Zelda, Pokemon, or a Mario title. Very rarely are these games riddled with bugs or day 1 grievances... Except maybe Pokemon.

It is not like they are releasing a $60 Zelda or 3D Mario every year either. The same people that would complain in here strike me as the same ones that would complain that Nintendo games only get good reviews because they are Nintendo games and not because they are a well-made product.

Oct 26, 2017
I think the reason is that Nintendo has way less competition than the other ones. I think the number of PS and Xbox big seller games (let's say >2M) is way higher than the one in Nintendo home consoles, so since they are released frequently they need to compete more aggresively, specially when counting multiplatform games.

Which means that first it's more difficult for them to compete for shelves space, and after the sales spike of the first 2 or 3 months is very likely that they reduce their price. Meanwhile in Nintendo since they have less huge games competing in the shelves the same one can stay there for longer.

At least in some main games Nintendo fans keep buying these games for a longer period of time than usual, so they keep for a longer period of times in the shop. In my opinion like Apple fans, Nintendo fans also defend and overrate whatever Nintendo does, even if it's very anticonsumer. Like having more expensive prices, cheap accesories that need to be built by you, even a balance board, etc.
Lol

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago

Do you really think no one realizes they spend $60 when buying a brand new Nintendo game? I have asked myself many times in the past if the games are with the price tag and usually, for me, they are. Stop making it sound like we just mindlessly spend our money with 0 consideration. You just sound abrasive. If the games were garbage and were listed at $60 then maybe this wouldn't be happening. Fortunately, Nintendo makes some pretty damn good games that people like and have no problem paying the premium for.

Oct 30, 2017
And this is why I dont buy their games. I'm sure I'm part of a demographic of consumers who own or owned a switch who aren't as invested in their ecosystem and who dont feel the need to splurge on their games day one.

I dont even play my switch because everything is to much money, and I'm at the point I might trade it in because I'm not sure waiting for zelda will be worth it. Im sure Zelda will be great, but owning a switch to play one or two games is getting old.

My interest in the games dont match the price point. There's a ton of games I'd play, but a cheaper price. So yeah I'm sure it impacts their sales of games.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
You had me until the last paragraph.

That's something that is up to the buyer to decide. If they see value in being Nintendo games at $60 and will knowingly wait for a Sony game that they are mildly interested in to drop in price then so be it. I am sure most can make the case for it and some buy those Sony games at $60 anyway... Now, Nintendo having more value than other games? Well, that is debatable of course. I do believe Nintendo does have some of the best across the board quality control when it comes to their properties though. And for a lot of fans, they do offer something you can't really get elsewhere, like say Smash, Zelda, Pokemon, or a Mario title. Very rarely are these games riddled with bugs or day 1 grievances... Except maybe Pokemon.

It is not like they are releasing a $60 Zelda or 3D Mario every year either.

I don't have a problem with people personally valuing Nintendo games more than other games, but I do have an issue with it being presented as some sort of objective truth.

I think many big games would keep selling if they remained full price on different platforms. Do you think people would stop buying RDR2 if it stayed full price? Forza? Uncharted? The games would still sell. Some sales would be missed, sure, but the notion that only Nintendo games have this kind of sway doesn't ring true to me. We actually don't really know how these games would do staying at a near consta t full price, because for decades no one else has done this. Except Blizzard to an extent... And their games still sell.

Several Nintendo games are in my top of all time, so their charm isn't lost on me. There's a reason why I bought Mario Kart 8 twice when I rarely do such a thing (ironically it was cheaper the first time, day 1 no less). I do agree they have good quality control over their major series, and Iprefer a stable high price over a low base price + stupidly over priced DLC approach that some others take. But with certain games I can't ignore that I can get something comparable (to me) for much cheaper. I'd like to play Tropical Freeze for example... But with a choice between that for full price, or Hollow Knight on sale for 15% of the same cost it's an easy choice for me to make. No point making a song and dance about it though... I just vote with my wallet.

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
You guys should be pissed that Star Wars, a forty year old movie is like eighty bucks on Blu ray. After 40 years it should be free. I was looking at copies of books. Can you believe those motherfuckers charge 20 $ for Harry Potter? It's twenty years old, why isn't it free. It's so anti-consumer. Honda is worse than any of them. They do yearly releases and they still want twenty some thousand for last year's version. I can't believe they don't arbitrarily reduce prices on stuff based on the whims of non-customers. It's as if they're relying on some sort of demand based pricing model.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
You guys should be pissed that Star Wars, a forty year old movie is like eighty bucks on Blu ray. After 40 years it should be free. I was looking at copies of books. Can you believe those motherfuckers charge 20 $ for Harry Potter? It's twenty years old, why isn't it free. It's so anti-consumer. Honda is worse than any of them. They do yearly releases and they still want twenty some thousand for last year's version. I can't believe they don't arbitrarily reduce prices on stuff based on the whims of non-customers. It's as if they're relying on some sort of demand based pricing model.

Cars, books, and films are perfect examples of things that start at a high price and then have semi regular reductions over time...

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
tenor.gif

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Never heard of that. A friend of mine is the manager at a local cinema and they have to pay the same amount of money to the distributor for every ticket sold, be it on day 1 or after a couple months. Lmao, now I wish we had a dollar theater here.
To be fair they are a lot less common in my area these days. Man do I miss the cheap seats.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I don't have a problem with people personally valuing Nintendo games more than other games, but I do have an issue with it being presented as some sort of objective truth.

I think many big games would keep selling if they remained full price on different platforms. Do you think people would stop buying RDR2 if it stayed full price? Forza? Uncharted? The games would still sell. Some sales would be missed, sure, but the notion that only Nintendo games have this kind of sway doesn't ring true to me. We actually don't really know how these games would do staying at a near consta t full price, because for decades no one else has done this. Except Blizzard to an extent... And their games still sell.

Several Nintendo games are in my top of all time, so their charm isn't lost on me. There's a reason why I bought Mario Kart 8 twice when I rarely do such a thing (ironically it was cheaper the first time, day 1 no less). I do agree they have good quality control over their major series, and Iprefer a stable high price over a low base price + stupidly over priced DLC approach that some others take. But with certain games I can't ignore that I can get something comparable (to me) for much cheaper. I'd like to play Tropical Freeze for example... But with a choice between that for full price, or Hollow Knight on sale for 15% of the same cost it's an easy choice for me to make. No point making a song and dance about it though... I just vote with my wallet.

I get it.

I personally do not LIKE the fact that their games rarely get discounted-- if ever.

But they usually do not let me down and release at reasonable intervals. Other companies could probably get away with it-- just like Apple could sell more by going with cheaper products and services. But if your base sees the value in it and you're ok with losing some sales due to not lowering the barrier of entry. Then hey, do as you wish. I would not buy their stuff if it wasn't good. But it is and I guess them as a company are ok with you not willing to spend the extra buck.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest laugh in here is people saying their games are bigger, more time spent on them etc. My experience is that their games are bare bones.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019
I mean some of what he said is true. Like nintendo overpricing some of their games and barely ever discount them because they value their games too much it becomes anti consumer imo. I honestly can't imaging buying a game that is 2 years old for $60 at most $50 if they have discount.
Well at least we all know that you don't know what anti consumer means. A company valuing their product is not anti consumer. That's you not wanting to pay for what they're selling.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

You can buy Star Wars trilogy for $24 on Amazon, Solo is $19 (physical Blu-Ray). No one would buy it at $60 per movie.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I think Pokemon is their only series where that sort of business model would make sense to them. It's the only Nintendo series that ages out within a year or two.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's very frustrating. I can understand keeping the big evergreen titles like 3D Zelda, Smash and Kart at full price, but even the b-tier games with tiny budgets or middling critical reception never get a meaningful sale either.

There's a lot of games on the Switch that I'd be willing to take a chance on if they were half price after a year (or hell even 2-3 years later), but Nintendo in their infinite wisdom has no understanding that not all of their games can or should demand the full price tag for all time.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
It's kept me from buying Nintendo systems for 15 years. Last one I owned was gamecube

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I still remember back in 2013 at my local target store, they were still selling Mario Galaxy 2 for the same price as it was three years prior.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's an interesting thing, since in many other industries, a sale means that they're clearing out seasonal inventory, being a loss leader, stock isn't moving, etc. But games, there's almost this expectation (not sure where it started or came from) that prices have to drop after a while. That if you're patient, you'll be able to get a game for 50% off or more. It can be frustrating, but I don't think there should be some kind of expectation that game prices drop "just because".

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because each game in a series is locked in for a whole console generation. You get one Smash per generation. Or one for every TWO gens this time around like MK8.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the only upside of Nintendo titles maintaining their value is that when it comes time to sell consoles to get the next one I can sell these games for a LOT of value to go towards my next gen purchases.

ExpandedKang

Oct 30, 2017
The pricing means for me Nintendo first party stuff is a one or two game a year kind of thing as opposed to dipping my toes in more series, like I'll buy the new Zeldas and the Marios and I'm super excited about Metroid Prime 4, but for the stuff that I just have a passing interest in they don't do anything with their pricing to tempt me so I just leave it. And even though I prefer using the Switch because of its flexibility, I end up spending far money on the the PS4 store because they offer way better value for money in general, and they have ridiculous sales on relatively new games. And in the end I've got bills to pay and there are things I'd rather spend my money on.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Because they are high quality (sarcasm, other games that drop in price are also high quality).

Nintendo just doesn't see the race to the bottom price point as a race worth having as it encourages and even requires horrible business practices like microtransactions and constant DLC to maintain profit.

You can read more about the idea here:

First reply nails it.

It's also always been funny watching people defend corporations as needing MTX and other things to "pay the devs" while pocketing most of it, not paying taxes, closing studios, and then putting games on deep sale often within the first year they're out.

Like any Ubi game will typically be 50% off by years end, further encouraging people not to buy it at release, so then they created legendary and multiple tier additions with content to encourage people to get the games at launch.

You even hear/see it on this forum every where now that "buying a game at launch is dumb" and many people waiting on the inevitable sales, while simultaneously wondering why the market is having problems keeping things stabilized.

So you have devs putting grind and padding into their games, gating off content, putting in MTX etc to solve a problem they themselves are perpetuating. Creating problems and selling the solutions to them as it were.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they're scary smart about how many copies of games they sell to retailers, and consumers keep their games after they buy them.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
well, since the big AAA 3rd parties don't release their stuff on Nintendo's systems, it makes it easier for them to maintain high prices for their stuff. also, their stuff still sells even if it doesn't chart in the monthly top 10s. they also don't overproduce their games which means there's not much of a reason to discount it (most discounts are due to inventory) and sometimes they do overproduce games and there's sales because of that. you just need to be more proactive and look closely instead of being spoonfed the sale deals (the Pokemon Let's Go games have been as low as $30 new recently and those came out just 6 months ago. their stuff does receive sales sometimes).

you know these Nintendo games also retain a lot of value. you can resell one of their games for like $30 or $40 and get back a lot of what you spent and effectively only pay $10-$20 to play them (not like you wouldn't also resell games on other consoles but there you'd get $5-$10 for used stuff due to crashed prices)

some people here just can't deal with basic economy rules of supply and demand.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
What's hilarious is that they jacked up the price for a re-release of DKC TF. Try doing that on any other platform for a straight port of a 4 year old game. I was actually shocked when I learned that Captain Toad port was not a $50-60 game.

the only upside of Nintendo titles maintaining their value is that when it comes time to sell consoles to get the next one I can sell these games for a LOT of value to go towards my next gen purchases.

Unless you buy digital like me :(

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
every month someone asks the same question and every month get we get both, the logical answers (ever green titles, no race to the bottom) and the downplaying shitposting (anti-consumer, Nintendo fans are brain washed, Nintendo fans have nothing else to play, They are just greed)

seriously, how hard is to accept a that maybe those "trained" are everyone else on accepting the Race to the bottom as the standard?