• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Starseeker

Banned
Dec 30, 2020
Any value their critical insight had basically died the moment they described the villains of Get Out as "not being typical obvious racists, but instead being so not racist that they came around to being evil again."

Like... what a monumentally stupid fucking take that was.
LMAO, the fuck? The hell does that even mean?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
There was a thread made that highlighted their bigotry:
www.resetera.com

A Critique of Red Letter Media’s Bigoted Content (See Staff Post)

For years now, RLM has been given a pass because people find their content entertaining. Despite multiple instances of blatant sexist, racist and anti-progressive rhetoric, they remain widely referenced and enjoyed by ERA. When folks bring up their problematic commentary, it's often ignored or...
Interesting that other people aren't hosted here who are bigots but RLM is allowed a 200+ page OT, for unknown reasons

Half of the shit they say would earn them a perm if they had an accounts here. I don't like linking to their channel but, one example, so people are aware:

Doing an actual ching chong bit while everyone laughs hysterically

Having a good take every once in a while is not evidence of change when they have an history spanning over a decade of being racist, transphobic, sexist, ableist, etc.

I mean, meanwhile Harry Potter is created by a TERF and the Mandalorian has a Sandy Hook truther on it and Bill Burr being fine with racist comedy because "free speech and cancel culture is bad". Or like all of Cyberpunk.

I have my own problems with them, but people who compare them with people like Midnight's Edge or Nerdrotic, who are actually toxic, I feel are being totally disingenuous or alternatively literally don't want any content whatsoever because EVERYTHING is problematic.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm glad there are enough BAME and non-SWM media critics and pundits on YouTube now than there were 5 years ago, found no need for them. They don't seem relevant to me anymore.

MelinaPendulum
For Harriet
Breakfast All Day
Curio
Accented Cinema
Double Toasted
Yhara Zayd
Maggie Mae Fish
Film Companion
Xiran Jay Zhao, and more

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
The things that are allowed or not allowed on Era will never "make sense" honestly. For example, Chapo Trap House doesn't have an OT any more. I'm a listener of the show -I accept this (there's other places to discuss it anyway)... but RLM has an OT despite what has come up in this thread. Dunkey has a tenuous relationship with the site but threads on him are still allowed IIRC. I'm not sure what the solution is, seems kind arbitrary but that's how it goes.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Same points said... And no progress.

Lol. Double Toasted, as much as I love them, CONTINUALLY bitch over "cancel culture" and have Brad fucking Jones on their show. Not a peep from people here.

I love Jesse Gender, an amazing trans woman who does videos. She had been called out for some iffy stuff on race and particularly names she seemingly mocked (had to make an apology and such. Most have died down since then)

No one's perfect... Yet Joe Biden is loved here. Nonsense and triple standards. And I guarantee you my Native ass well be disciplined for this, and not the white liberal "Allys" here

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Cause I'd assume most of the time their content is fine but they have those misteps where you go, "we wait, did you just do a fake Asian language as a joke?" type things. Whereas you watch one of those channels where the hate, racism, misogyny, etc is just always there on display and no illusions about it.

I always figured as well that they just aren't smart enough to actually tackle the whole fake corporate wokeness thing since they are edgelords and any statement they make about it is gonna come through that perspective and it won't sound well.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
The things that are allowed or not allowed on Era will never "make sense" honestly. For example, Chapo Trap House doesn't have an OT any more. I'm a listener of the show -I accept this (there's other places to discuss it anyway)... but RLM has an OT despite what has come up in this thread. Dunkey has a tenuous relationship with the site but threads on him are still allowed IIRC. I'm not sure what the solution is, seems kind arbitrary but that's how it goes.

Fuck I have no idea why Dunkey is allowed.
RLM is one thing, but Dunkey is straight toxic douchebag that is never going to change.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Youtube movie reviewers are trash in general, so I don't really pay attention. Give me more channels like Every Frame a Painting (RIP) and The Cinema Cartography and the like that do some deep dives and actually analyze film.
While I loved those channels, I think Red Letter Media deserves a spot on YouTube for genuine insightful movie reviews.

Sure their sense of humor is quite dated since they are a bunch of 30 to 40 year old's doing the same skit they did 10 years ago, and their older videos obviously haven't aged well since they where made 10 fucking years ago when things where a little bit different, but they have matured in recent years.

Also their reviews are actually good unlike most other YouTube reviewers who either go way too far into pretentiousness, or are so obnoxious in their personality presenting their case for or against a film that I cant stand it.

RLM is pretty much a bunch if cynical old bastards reviewing movies and highlighting the shit wrong with modern cinema and I enjoy them for that since I can relate, as I to am a cynical old bastard tired with modern cinema.

May 26, 2018

Lol. Double Toasted, as much as I love them, CONTINUALLY bitch over "cancel culture" and have Brad fucking Jones on their show. Not a peep from people here.

I love Jesse Gender, an amazing trans woman who does videos. She had been called out for some iffy stuff on race and particularly names she seemingly mocked (had to make an apology and such. Most have died down since then)

No one's perfect... Yet Joe Biden is loved here. Nonsense and triple standards. And I guarantee you my Native ass well be disciplined for this, and not the white liberal "Allys" here

I mean, it's worth acknowledging people's flaws, regardless of how much we like them, right? That's not an out there idea, or at least it shouldn't be. It's very reasonable.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm glad there are enough BAME and non-SWM media critics and pundits on YouTube now than there were 5 years ago, found no need for them. They don't seem relevant to me anymore.

MelinaPendulum
For Harriet
Breakfast All Day
Curio
Accented Cinema
Double Toasted
Yhara Zayd
Maggie Mae Fish
Film Companion
Xiran Jay Zhao, and more
I listen to Double Toasted almost every day and I'm also subscribed to Maggie Mae Fish (who I learned about from Pushing Up Roses). I'm also into Cinemassacre, RLM, and Angry Joe, ALL which have been deemed Toxic at some point for whatever reason.

A lot of this DOES seem arbitrary.

The variety is out there and one can appreciate it all in different ways. Like I conveyed before, we as viewers can remain cognizant of the potentially problematic content while also enjoying the non-political enthusiast stuff that these creators put out.

Writing off every creator that has ever been involved in a controversy is foolhardy.

Last edited:

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they're not a very good channel. Not to mention racist. They court some pretty stupid fans too, just look at the OT on this website, and how fervently they'll defend them if you say anything remotely bad.
I started the RLM |OT| and have personally called out the shit I don't like in their videos and how I was done with giving them any sort of leeway. So this is bullshit.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I took a long break from them after the embarrassing Captain Marvel review. they always had an edgelord "we'll mock all sides" attitude that is reminiscent of Matt Stone and Trey Parker's (not to imply their body of work are on the same level), in the sense that their overall cynicism pushed me away over time.

anyway I would echo the person in this thread who said they seem to have "cleaned up their act" to a certain degree recently. it definitely feels like there are jokes they made ten years ago that they wouldn't today, for whatever the hell that's worth. so yeah, I did start watching their stuff again during the pandemic.

the thing for me is I've long had a like/love/hate relationship with that channel but I've sort of made peace with the fact I seemingly won't ever find a single other movie related channel I enjoy, and Jay and Mike seem to have met me halfway in the slight evolution of their political sensibilities? we'll see.

and I used to find Jay insufferable but ironically his film sensibilities line up with mine to a disturbing degree when it comes to intensely obsessing over, and being highly appreciative of, yet laidback in the attempt at understanding weird, arty, genre adjacent fare.
They aren't all Youtube videos, but you should check out We Hate Movies.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I listen to Double Toasted almost every day and I'm also subscribed to Maggie Mae Fish (who I learned about from Pushing Up Roses). I'm also into Cinemassacre, RLM, and Angry Joe, ALL which have been deemed Toxic at some point for whatever reason.

(DT) Korey is of the belief that "anything goes in comedy, and that they make fun of everyone so its ok" which can be problematic. I did talk to him about something that was said about schizophrenia which he seemed receptive to as well as just responding to fans more often, so that's already a big step up from most online personalities (including most you listed there).
Definitely sometimes see people in chat who try to mimic what they watch by being as offensive as possible like one guy posting non stop sexist shit in chat like "girl just needs some good dick". If you have an audience you're responsible for cultivating their viewpoints and owning up to when you're called out on shit, in which case people like Angry Joe would likely rather take to their grave.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about here. They complain about minority roles being stuck in the background and wanting those characters at the forefront of the stories all the goddamn time. I've never once heard them complain that any role by a minority should or could be played better by a white actor. This post is disingenuous as hell.

Dude come on. They spend an entire section in their TFA review mocking the inclusion of minority extras and calling diverse casting a "waste of time" because kids allegedly don't care what color movie characters are. They very much skirt the line between mocking phony corporate wokeness and mocking the concept of inclusivity in film. If I'm being cynical (which I think is fair given this is RLM we're talking about), they're fence sitting to maximize their potential audience.

If your bar is "well they never said no minorities should ever be cast" then sure, they don't do that. Personally I think their stance is more of a passive "I don't see color" indifference, punctuated by occasional embarrassing defensiveness (see their response to Captain Marvel) and a whole lot of tired jokes. Like it's not racist to have a jokey aside in a review about how, say, there shouldn't be any Malaysian people in Star Wars, but it's not funny either.

The Malaysian joke is something they decided to put in their TFA review, to be clear.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mean, meanwhile Harry Potter is created by a TERF and the Mandalorian has a Sandy Hook truther on it and Bill Burr being fine with racist comedy because "free speech and cancel culture is bad". Or like all of Cyberpunk.

I have my own problems with them, but people who compare them with people like Midnight's Edge or Nerdrotic, who are actually toxic, I feel are being totally disingenuous or alternatively literally don't want any content whatsoever because EVERYTHING is problematic.
They're toxic though, even if they're not as bad as others. It should still be called out and it sucks that so many people brush over it

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I liked their Star Wars Episodes 1-3 review and the dark story intertwitned with it.

Everything else after that, no.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

A lot of this DOES seem arbitrary.

The variety is out there and one can appreciate it all in different ways. Like I conveyed before, we as viewers can remain cognizant of the potentially problematic content while also enjoying the non-political enthusiast stuff that these creators put out.

Writing off every creator that has ever been involved in a controversy is foolhardy.
RLM have had more than a handful of problematic incidents and haven't apologised or learned from the most part, while Double Toasted have when it's happened. I'm just pointing out that there's no need for me to watch 2-4 white dudes blather on about movies anymore when they usually have nothing insightful or new to say, compared to several other non-SWM media critics.

Jun 13, 2020

What's wrong with Brad Jones? Is it just his connection to the Walkers or what?

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite white nerd pandering thing they've ever done was when they praised The Assistant as a masterpiece and made fun of its rotten user score on RT.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
/s? I am sorry, I can no longer tell.
Yes it is sarcasm, this movie is the polar opposite of a white nerd fantasy and they praised it and made fun of its detractors. Not to excuse all the problematic stuff they had over the years but this is a recent example of the opposite that I haven't seen anyone bring up (probably because it's from an HitB episode and I suspect everyone that says that show is bottom of the barrel criticism only watch the superhero episodes).

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why they get the time of the day here tbh, and the way this has been communicated on in the past was pretty opaque tbh. At least it's mostly contained to its OT.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
They love the filmmaking on display in The Assistant that much is clear but the subtle digs about it not being preachy about the subject matter and the main character not making a big speech about how morally fucked up the whole situation is shows you where they stand.

That would have been out of place in The Assistant but it doesn't mean that we can't have other more dramatic takes on the whole Weinstein situation without two white guys complaining about it being preachy, talking down to them, being overly dramatic or Oscar bait.

They have to make their agenda clear even when they like the movie for being well made. They have to send out dog whistles about all the perceived crimes against chudhood it doesn't commit because they just couldn't resist.