• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does Pokémon need autosaving?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Why? Because there are elements of Pokémon that would be greatly screwed by an autosave system?

It's their design choice and I accept it. It's not them being backwards or inept.

It is a design choice, but one could argue that they could work on the aspects of the games that would be messed up by autosaving rather than just clinging to an obsolete way of implementing saving. It's not inept, but maybe a slight bit backwards.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm just saying that it's a thing that is common in the industry, so why the hell is Pokémon getting slammed for it?

It's a rarity among RPG's.

Most of the other games that don't use multiple save files are level based games, meaning that even on that one save you can go back to any point of the game play that part again without starting from Zero again.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I thought this was common in RPG's?
Persona, Xenoblade, Octopath, etc.
None of those have autosave. Although Persona does have multiple slots, there is reasoning for that as you can straight up miss events in the game if you're not careful

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
None of those have autosave. Although Persona does have multiple slots, there is reasoning for that as you can straight up miss events in the game if you're not careful

I was talking about the multiple save slots since that was the point I raised at the beginning of the thread haha

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Most games allow you to turn off autosaving. Even if not having a "load last autosave" and "load last manual save" option would also rectify it.

Edit: So are those No voters going to chime in or just vote and run?
I don't believe it needs it. Manual saves are fine. If you can't take five seconds to open the menu and save the game, that's on you.

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't bother. Arguing with serebii is pointless.
Right? Everytime someone suggests a feature that's pretty much standard in modern games and that would obviously improve the game, he comes out of the woodwork with some lame excuses of why it would never work for Pokémon.

He did the same thing when people suggested getting rid of random encounters but then after Let's Go came out he did a complete 180 and now says how much he loves it.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
If it effects save scumming or shiny hunting in anyway im opposed.
And due to the setup of shiny legendaries and online trades it probably would.

At the end of the day it takes like 5 seconds to manual save so i cant find it in me to care

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I voted no, not because I dislike autosaving, but because I don't trust Gamefreak to not mess up the application of it. That said, multiple game slots should have been a thing for the mainline Pokemon titles ages ago. And no, we shouldn't have to make another account on the Switch just to replay an entry despite it being a step up from buying another cart or completely erasing your game.

Octopath has a autosave slot that activates everytime you enter a different area.

Oct 25, 2017
Because a sub-sect of 30-something vocal manchildren will have adult tantrums if their cartoon game about magic electric mice dares add a single feature that most games have had for the last 20 years.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The poll asks if Pokemon "needs" autosaving. No, it doesn't; the games play just fine without it. It would be nice to have, though.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
voted no, not because I dislike autosaving, but because I don't trust Gamefreak to not mess up the application of it. That said, multiple game slots should have been a thing for the mainline Pokemon titles ages ago. And no, we shouldn't have to make another account on the Switch just to replay an entry despite it being a step up from buying another cart or completely erasing your game
This is how I feel as well. We already saw how GF went about adding simplistic difficulty options. I shudder to think whatd theyd do with autosaves

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The games could autosave after big events like earning a badge, boss encounters, or after traversing a large maze/tunnel, and this could be on by default and have the option to be disabled.

I don't see why not.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would it really, though? I feel like it might add some much needed intensity to the battles, knowing that you can't reload indefinitely.

The story presents legendary Pokémon as these rare, elusive creatures, but in the end it's just a formality of saving and reloading until you get lucky, to the point where saving and reloading is just a normal part of Pokémon gameplay. Sure, I'm used to it, not sure if I really like it.
Well said.

Legendaries would be more legendary with auto save. I'm fine with the current system, but auto save could be cool.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

Nope. And if you need to savescum to do it, neither should anyone. That is an argument for mandatory autosaving, making shinies truly rare while sparing players from playing the game in a dull way never intended by the designers.

Would it really, though? I feel like it might add some much needed intensity to the battles, knowing that you can't reload indefinitely.

The story presents legendary Pokémon as these rare, elusive creatures, but in the end it's just a formality of saving and reloading until you get lucky, to the point where saving and reloading is just a normal part of Pokémon gameplay. Sure, I'm used to it, not sure if I really like it.

Pretty much this.

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I see the issues with autosave regarding the series' current design but...honestly, that's easy to work around, and it's such a big quality-of-life thing that it would be worth changing the game's design slightly to accommodate it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right? Everytime someone suggests a feature that's pretty much standard in modern games and that would obviously improve the game, he comes out of the woodwork with some lame excuses of why it would never work for Pokémon.

He did the same thing when people suggested getting rid of random encounters but then after Let's Go came out he did a complete 180 and now says how much he loves it.
Don't forget about how there was no way Gen 1 and 2 would get VC releases because there was no way they'd implement wireless trading and battles.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
So what happens when you miss out on a once in a lifetime opportunity Pokemon and then it autosaves...?

Unless it's skyrim style where you have autosaves and manual saves concurrently, I think it's a bad idea.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
So what happens when you miss out on a once in a lifetime opportunity Pokemon and then it autosaves...?

Unless it's skyrim style where you have autosaves and manual saves concurrently, I think it's a bad idea.

You start a new game. You just accept you missed out this run. Or they implement some post game way of getting them to respawn.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
Every ERA thread about Pokémon by non-Pokémon players always makes me scratch my head. The rarity of Pokémon is a thing Game Freak believes in. If it really bothers you, stop playing them, I guess? The number of save slots is not a an incompetence thing or technical limitation. It's very very very intentional.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Definitely not necessary. But it would be a welcome option for some I'm sure. Emphasis on option. Having manual saves is vital to my enjoyment of the game.
As for having multiple save slots, it'd be pretty nice, but I think their idea is they want you to connect more with your Pokemon in one. Also shitty when you have one console and have to buy two games for two people when you wouldn't be able to trade anyways

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Nope. And if you need to savescum to do it, neither should anyone. That is an argument for mandatory autosaving, making shinies truly rare while sparing players from playing the game in a dull way never intended by the designers.

Pretty much this.

So now youre telling people how to play their game cool.
Everyone stop hunting now.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
So now youre telling people how to play their game cool.
Everyone stop hunting now.

That's not really my point. I just think it's poor game design if you intentionally create something rare in your game, and then let people get around the scarcity by reloading their save. It pretty much forces the players who are invested in shinies to play the game in a way not intended by the designers, a way that I honestly doubt anyone find entertaining.

I don't want people to play games in a particular way, players can and should play any way possible within the confinements of the game design. What I want is game designers to design their games well, giving players a good experience.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
That's not really my point. I just think it's poor game design if you intentionally create something rare in your game, and then let people get around the scarcity by reloading their save. It pretty much forces the players who are invested in shinies to play the game in a way not intended by the designers, a way that I honestly doubt anyone find entertaining.

I don't want people to play games in a particular way, players can and should play any way possible within the confinements of the game design. What I want is game designers to design their games well, giving players a good experience.

Believe it or not shitloads of people LOVE shiny hunting.
Theire are entire forums and reddits and discords dedicated to shiny catalogs.
And streamers who only play the main game to get to the hunt after.
So yeah im opposed to introducing an autosave if it would take away that fun

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So few RPGs use autosaving function because of how it can often times wall you out of something, so I don't see why Pokemon needs an autosaving function. RPGs have largely moved to a save anywhere anytime function anyway, which is much better and only takes a couple of seconds to open the menu and click save.

Except Dragon Quest 11, where if you get a game crash you'll be setback a good ways if the auto-save function didn't save before a crash (and the auto-save function is very infrequent) so you'll have to start all the way back from the church or a sacred statue and will have to talk to a bunch of people and re-open chests to recollect stuff and get information all over again, losing up to an hour or so of your progress.

OP
OP

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So few RPGs use autosaving function because of how it can often times wall you out of something, so I don't see why Pokemon needs an autosaving function. RPGs have largely moved to a save anywhere anytime function anyway, which is much better and only takes a couple of seconds to open the menu and click save.

Except Dragon Quest 11, where if you get a game crash you'll be setback a good ways if the auto-save function didn't save before a crash (and the auto-save function is very infrequent) so you'll have to start all the way back from the church or a sacred statue and will have to talk to a bunch of people and re-open chests to recollect stuff and get information all over again, losing up to an hour or so of your progress.
Maybe its because Pokemon is the only JRPG I play, but I can't think of a single western RPG that doesn't have both autosaves and manual saves.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I'd be okay either way in regards to auto saving. As long as I have the option to turn it off in lieu of manual Saves in the menus, all is good.

As for multiple save slots...Switch does have multiple profile saves, so it doesnt bug me all too much...but that would be cool. Being able to dupe legendaries isn't a problem for me anyways, if I have a party of Mewtwos, so be it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand how someone could just rely on autosave after 7 hours. Even if I know for sure a game has auto save, I am still manually saving. Not even once in 7 hours?

Indeed, I'm hammering the manual save after and before every enemy encounter in games if possible, autosaves are all nice and all but in no way dependable since it can set you back half an hour. I'm also saving constantly because even though it never happens, I don't want to loose anything if the power gets out outage.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't really find it necessary in a game where you can save anywhere at any time. Plus, for Pokemon in particular there are a lot of reasons why people wouldn't want autosave.