• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ponzies

Oct 28, 2017
I returned my last 3ds because the TN screen was horrid and I don't want to buy another because I don't want another TN panel. Why don't they just sell an IPS version for more $?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the 3D screen was expensive as it is

the 2DS? cause people were buying it as it is (and they didn't want to spend money on buying two screens for one system)

data

Oct 25, 2017
Its more expensive for ips screens and there probably aren't many people who would buy it to warrant production

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Many reasons, but I'd say first and foremost would be that if anyone is willing to pay more than current 3DS prices, Nintendo would want them to be buying a Switch.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
3DS hardware is well past it's peak sales wise, there is no financial incentive to opt ramp up production on a better quality panel, that's just an absurd loss at that point. If you want an IPS panel 3DS, play the lottery like the rest of us!

OP
OP

ponzies

Oct 28, 2017
3DS hardware is well past it's peak sales wise, there is no financial incentive to opt ramp up production on a better quality panel, that's just an absurd loss at that point. If you want an IPS panel 3DS, play the lottery like the rest of us!
Why didn't they have this option years ago though?

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I returned my last 3ds because the TN screen was horrid and I don't want to buy another because I don't want another TN panel. Why don't they just sell an IPS version for more $?
IIRC, they actually sold some New 3DS XL units with IPS screens. A friend of mine has the Majora's Mask N3DSXL and that one is IPS

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There are known models with dual IPS screen. You can pay a premium for them on ebay.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
The fact they didn't ship with an IPS screen standard is already an abomination.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Advertising the standard 3DS model as having a "worse screen" than a hypothetical premium model would have been detrimental to sales.
Especially when the 3DS screen was kinda all around one of its weakest points. "Pay us more to get the less shit one" wouldn't have landed I think

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
By coming out and saying "Buy this one with a better screen", they'd be admitting that the regular one has a worse screen. Nintendo's usual strategy with any kind of hardware issue is to just keep quiet about it until it goes away.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Most people probably have no idea what those acronyms stand for or think about them at all when making a purchase of a 3DS. Feels like a message board bubble kind of thing.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
-The 3DS is dead
-No one would buy it
-Such a screen is not needed for the 3DS' graphics

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Way too niche. The people who care about this stuff probably can fill a small room.

Most people probably have no idea what those acronyms stand for or think about them at all when making a purchase of a 3DS. Feels like a message board bubble kind of thing.

No feels at all. It absolutely is lol.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Why would somebody in the market for a premium device buy an outdated device? I have to imagine that niche is too small to make it feasible to develop a new display for the dying 3DS

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine a Best Buy employee having to explain to a grandmother shopping for her grandchildren the difference between TN and IPS. The target demo for 3DS was people who don't understand the difference.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
To be fair to the IPS versions of the 3DS (I have one, the Majora's Mask XL), that screen is also pretty gross looking.