• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
integer scaling for 1:1 pixel mapping with a border can't be that hard.

homebrew emulators could do that on 3DS. hell, doesn't the SNES Classic do it too?

1080p would get a bigger border but just having the option would be nice annd they could even leave fullscreen as the default for those who don't know much about this.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
Upscaling can't add more detail. DVD's upscaled to 1080p won't look like Blu-Rays.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The best solution is to have good filtering so that non-integer scaling can be used to display the image in its correct aspect ratio, while also filling the height of the display.
NSO does this in fact, NERD implemented high quality interpolation on both the NES and SNES apps that basically eliminates pixel crawl and other scrolling artifacts when set to "4:3" (which is also actually 8:7 iirc despite what it's named). There's not really anything stopping them from doing native 1080p output although it scales quite well from 720p as is.

NERD's interpolation solution (basically softening pixel edges to smooth movement) is also the best we've seen in a commercial emulator so far imo but it's also pretty rare. Even the emu masters at M2 don't implement interpolation (and they should, pixel crawl can get especially crazy on the TG16 mini).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
the Lazy Greedy Nintendo posts in this thread are truly wild
It's especially funny because NSO is bar none one of the best commercial emulation efforts in terms of presentation (4x integer scale, interpolation, little input/sound lag). I'm not a fan of their composite filter but it's effect is pretty faithful too.

Oct 27, 2017
I dont see how that is embarrassing.

It's embarrassing because you're "upvoting" a "lazy dev" rhetoric post, but these "lazy dev" accusations are based on ignorance because neither OP nor anyone else bandwagoning with OP can explain what they mean or demonstrate that they understand what "upscaling" means in the most basic sense.

Edit: Anyone wading in here wondering why people are dog piling on OP (quite deservedly) should check out My Life in Gaming on YouTube.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni

Is this in regards to my post? Bullying isnt fun...

I mean, feel free to explain if you like. I hate to be someone who tells people they're playing games "wrong," but the truth is that most of us don't know what the hell OP is talking about. If either of you can explain, we can have a conversation

My understanding is rendering it out in higher resolution than the original kinda like playing in a emulator but I must have misunderstood OP's intention.

I've emulated games higher than the original resolution and played them in wide screen (or wider than the original) - I guess I am playing it wrong but its w/e lol.

Anyways, it doesnt matter, I retracted my original post cause I dont want to drown myself in the endless drama on this forum.

Edit: Not widescreen but stretched/4:3

Last edited:

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
They just relased stuff with mininal retouching and people are buying it in droves. They are going to continue to do that until people stop buying. Is like gamefreak and bethesda doing the minumum. I hope at least bethesda has learnt from 76 (they probably wont).

Even then, i wouldnt try to scale up old 2d games. Its a total redraw or not touch it.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This will be graphics in 2013

anderson.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Is this in regards to my post? Bullying isnt fun...

My understanding is rendering it out in higher resolution than the original kinda like playing in a emulator but I must have misunderstood OP's intention.

But it doesnt matter, I retracted my original post cause I dont want to drown myself in the endless drama on this forum.

All of the SNES games on Switch are being emulated (by software) that interprets the original ROM and makes it work on completely different hardware. Surely the 3D All-Stars games are being emulated as well, but with some modifications (new UI elements).

As far as scaling goes, unless the original game matches your TVs resolution, it's being scaled. Most SNES games for example were 240p, and most TVs are at least 1080p. If no scaling was happening, you'd see the SNES game in a very very tiny window that only takes up 240p pixels, and the rest of the screen would be black.

So all "old" games you see on a modern TV that aren't super tiny are being scaled. The interesting details are how the scaling is done, as there are many methods. My Life in Gaming has some great videos on the topic you should give a look at. Their video about playing old consoles on modern TVs is the best suited for this convo.

I'm generalizing a bit here since there's a lot of detail.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
All of the SNES games on Switch are being emulated (by software) that interprets the original ROM and makes it work on completely different hardware. Surely the 3D All-Stars games are being emulated as well, but with some modifications (new UI elements).

As far as scaling goes, unless the original game matches your TVs resolution, it's being scaled. Most SNES games for example were 240p, and most TVs are at least 1080p. If no scaling was happening, you'd see the SNES game in a very very tiny window that only takes up 240p pixels, and the rest of the screen would be black.

So all "old" games you see on a modern TV that aren't super tiny are being scaled. The interesting details are how the scaling is done, as there are many methods. My Life in Gaming has some great videos on the topic you should give a look at. Their video about playing old consoles on modern TVs is the best suited for this convo.

I'm generalizing a bit here since there's a lot of detail.

Thanks for the explanation.

I dont have a Switch yet but the NSO NES and SNES games, do they give options/settings to change how the game looks at all? (Like widescreen or not) - I really hate having letterboxes/boxed/windowed views.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017

I dont have a Switch yet but the NSO NES and SNES games, do they give options/settings to change how the game looks at all? (Like widescreen or not) - I really hate having letterboxes/boxed/windowed views.
Widescreen is something an emulator can potentially do with hacks for specific games, but there's no way to make it work in every possible case without anything breaking.

Displaying games in the wrong aspect ratio by stretching them is ugly enough that I can understand Nintendo not giving you the option lol

Oct 27, 2017

😖

I take back what I said earlier about not wanting to tell people how to enjoy their games. Please don't stretch non-widescreen (4:3, etc) content to widescreen (16:9)! You're not seeing anything more, you're just distorting what's there to fill your screen.

I want to be inclusive and let people play games how they want to, but I have to put my foot down here. It's just wrong. Just like your first instinct is to drive a car with two feet (ie, one for brake and one for gas), you just have to force yourself to do it differently.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
😖

I take back what I said earlier about not wanting to tell people how to enjoy their games. Please don't stretch non-widescreen (4:3, etc) content to widescreen (16:9)! You're not seeing anything more, you're just distorting what's there to fill your screen.

I want to be inclusive and let people play games how they want to, but I have to put my foot down here. It's just wrong. Just like your first instinct is to drive a car with two feet (ie, one for brake and one for gas), you just have to force yourself to do it differently.

16:9 wasnt what I meant , sorry for the confusion.

I just want the whole screen to be full (as much possible without breaking anything).

OP
OP
ShadowFox08

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
The direction of this thread turned weird. I didn't suggest Nintendo was lazy in this thread. They do seem to be keen on keeping many of their Nintendo classics untouched...

I didn't really think about aspect ratios, I will admit.. The point I was trying to make was more in line with the quality/amount of pixels

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
User Banned (3 days): platform warring
Because their userbase is not criterious at all with how they spend their money and just buy whatever Nintendo tells them to. I for one think Nintendo is right, if their customers don't know better and let themselves be taken advantage of they might as well do it and profit.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
NSO does this in fact, NERD implemented high quality interpolation on both the NES and SNES apps that basically eliminates pixel crawl and other scrolling artifacts when set to "4:3" (which is also actually 8:7 iirc despite what it's named). There's not really anything stopping them from doing native 1080p output although it scales quite well from 720p as is.

NERD's interpolation solution (basically softening pixel edges to smooth movement) is also the best we've seen in a commercial emulator so far imo but it's also pretty rare. Even the emu masters at M2 don't implement interpolation (and they should, pixel crawl can get especially crazy on the TG16 mini).
Well that's good to know. Typically you have a choice between integer scaling in the wrong aspect ratio, or bilinear filtering in 4:3.

How do you achieve that?
RetroArch includes both bandlimit-pixel (recommended) and pixellate in the default shader packs, under the "interpolation" category.
You just have to enable that shader while the image is being scaled to fit the display, rather than using integer scaling.
I don't know whether it would be possible to use those shaders in other emulators or not.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Well that's good to know. Typically you have a choice between integer scaling in the wrong aspect ratio, or bilinear filtering in 4:3.

RetroArch includes both bandlimit-pixel (recommended) and pixellate in the default shader packs, under the "interpolation" category.
You just have to enable that shader while the image is being scaled to fit the display, rather than using integer scaling.
I don't know whether it would be possible to use those shaders in other emulators or not.

I'm guessing SNES9x or ZSNES are no go eh?

I should try out RetroArch....thanks!

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Because their userbase is not criterious at all with how they spend their money and just buy whatever Nintendo tells them to. I for one think Nintendo is right, if their customers don't know better and let themselves be taken advantage of they might as well do it and profit.
This whole thread has been a comedy.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still quite amused that hobbyists have figured out better methods (line multiplying) than actual companies who go with shoddy upscaling techniques.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Let's compare and contrast say the SNES Classic to the PS Classic to evaluate how much each company really handles and values their legacy content and heritage.

jalkerway

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really think about aspect ratios, I will admit.. The point I was trying to make was more in line with the quality/amount of pixels
I think that's where you're still losing people though. What exactly do you want them to be doing, can you post screenshot or video examples for what you mean? Because the video you posted in the OP *is* how that game looks, right now, on the Switch.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
But the NES/SNES Online don't use shoddy techniques...
They don't and NERD are up there with M2 in the top end for commercial emulation imo (with other excellent devs like Gotch Technology, D4 Enterprise or CodeMystics coming in just below). That said community emulation efforts still blow away anything commercial in terms of accuracy or customizability, hobbyists still definitely lead here, they always have and they probably always will.

Oct 27, 2017
They don't and NERD are up there with M2 in the top end for commercial emulation imo (with other excellent devs like Gotch Technology, D4 Enterprise or CodeMystics coming in just below). That said community emulation efforts still blow away anything commercial in terms of accuracy or customizability, hobbyists still definitely lead here, they always have and they probably always will.

Given infinite time, no budgetary constraints or deadlines, and no need to "finish" a product so it can be sold to consumers, gives you a lot of freedom for software development.

I think Microsoft in particular deserves credit for their amazing work with backwards compatible stuff on Xbox One X.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Given infinite time, no budgetary constraints or deadlines, and no need to "finish" a product so it can be sold to consumers, gives you a lot of freedom for software development.

I think Microsoft in particular deserves credit for their amazing work with backwards compatible stuff on Xbox One X.
Oh yeah, the Xbox BC team also deserves huge kudos and they're doing what no one else really is with abstracted BC and basically future proofing their platform at the same time. I didn't really think about them though as what they're doing is a bit different from traditional emulation.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The direction of this thread turned weird. I didn't suggest Nintendo was lazy in this thread. They do seem to be keen on keeping many of their Nintendo classics untouched...

You're talking about wanting remakes/source ports of the games, then, not just upscaling. You can go back and add more pixels to something that's being emulated, apart from keeping everything the same size and making the viewport bigger.