• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 1, 2019
Bluepoint-Games.jpg
LoL, no. Bluepoint would destroy Game Freak's entire career. GF'll never let that happen.

Oct 27, 2017
i did play SwSh, it's delightful and easily my GOTY.
Well that's great, good for you, but it's getting really annoying on this board when legitimate criticisms are hand waved away by what is essentially "I had fun so you're wrong!". And then you're going to ask "Which ones?" and I'll list a few, you'll dismiss them because you personally don't care about them, and then this will go nowhere like usual

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well that's great, good for you, but it's getting really annoying on this board when legitimate criticisms are hand waved away by what is essentially "I had fun so you're wrong!"

nah but they made a good game, got good scores and many people will buy and love it. saying they can't handle it is just objectively wrong.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Up until now I'd say they've made a compelling argument for why they're in charge of their own remakes. People are contentious about ORAS but for the most of the part they've all been quality and done exactly what they set out to do. They also treat them as mainline games in their own right, despite not heralding new generations they feature a whole bunch of new stuff that becomes entrenched into the Pokémon marketing cycle, so it's no wonder they want to keep the remakes close.

Oct 27, 2017
Remakes often have the innovations of mainline games
Except for ORAS where Gamefreak pulled "Fashion is unique to Kalos' culture!" before backtracking for rightfully getting shat on by everyone

nah but they made a good game, got good scores and many people will buy and love it. saying they can't handle it is just objectively wrong.
Again, none of that is relevant to them not being able to handle developing multiple games. You're only proving my point with everything you post. You throwing around "objectively wrong" doesn't mean anything at all

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The games are disappointing in quite a few regards. Let's be honest here though, the games still have a huge fan following and sell millions even in unpolished state. They are well aware of that, so the incentive to put more effort, time and money in them, or to even hire another game developer, is rather small.

Last edited:

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Again, none of that is relevant to them not being able to handle developing multiple games. You're only proving my point with everything you post. You throwing around "objectively wrong" doesn't mean anything at all

so they can't handle it because you don't like them and not because of any objective measurements. good to know.

Oct 27, 2017
so they can't handle it because you don't like them and not because of any objective measurements. good to know.
Sales success aren't objective measures no matter how much you want to push, because that's the only argument you have. I'm talking, objectively, about features that were in previous games, hell even in the last mainline title, that severely gimped or outright missing

Nov 15, 2018
If they are going to have another break year and skip 2020, then yeah there should be another developer to develop the remakes so that a new game could release every year.
It actually makes financial sense too since Gamefreak, Nintendo, and TPC won't get that extra money from the break years due to no title being released.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would rather have the original dev work on the Remakes.

The games sell and review well - people here need to leave there bubble for a second and take a deep breath, Ganefreak is the reason why Pokemon is still relevant 20years in.

i'd say is the pokemon company tbh. How many game franchises have an anime always in production, the same level of merchandising, TCG, etc?

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Besides the legal reasons that probably enable GF to be the sole developer that touch the franchise regarding "main" games, as others have said, GF will look like a joke when an actual competent developer touches the pokemon IP

Nov 15, 2018
I would settle for a battle simulator like the stadium, Colosseum, and battle revolution games. Short campaign is also fine. Focus on online competitive battling too.

Gamefreak survived when these games were made and they still look better than the swsh.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
GameFreak releases a game every year? Sure doesn't feel like it.
They typically take a year off every once in a while, but they release games every year more often than not. To be honest, I'd rather Game Freak space it out to at least every other year so they don't spread themselves too thin.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A complete, ambitious Pokemon game would make them look bad, or force them to try going forward. They don't want to get Obsidian'd when they spit out a "Fallout 4" as a follow-up to a "New Vegas".

Nov 15, 2018
Looking at the wiki there have been 6 break years since Pokemon crystal. Seeing how games sell generally around 10m-15m+ that's basically 60m-90m+ potential sales lost because they didn't have a second developer to make the games during those years.
So financially it makes sense, and stress wise it makes sense as gamefreak wont be overworked.

And if I'm not mistaken, wouldn't Gamefreak also get some share of the profits of a pokemon game since they own 1/3rd, even if they themselves don't make it?

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I actually wouldn't mind if they just did one Pokemon game a year and not just "One mainline Pokemon game a year"

Fir example next year they could do like Pokemon Colosseum 3 (or a remake) or something of that sort and it would be a Pokemon RPG without Gamefreak involved and still be a Gen 8 game.