• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only played 0, 1, and 2 but it just seems like the games are telling me he doesn't kill anyone?

I mean

Or like this whole scene?

Or another time he did this.... again

Ignoring all the sword stabbings, shootings, and any other weapon that clearly kills in gameplay.

What's the reasoning??

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I like the one where Saejima holds a guy over his head and runs at full speed into a wall, smashing the guy's skull head first.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
In that first video he doesn't kill the guy, the guy with the assault rifle shooting him does.

In the chase scenes he's using rubber bullets, and those are rubber explosions.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Umm, he hasn't killed anyone

That gangster whose head I caved in with a sledgehammer got up right afterward, apologized for his life of crime and turned his life around

You can make the same case for Arkham Batman.

It ruins narrative, OP.

Batman never killed anyone either though

The criminals whose car I shot with a missile and before ramming it off of an overpass were merely unconscious inside the burning wreckage, not dead

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know but it fucks the narrative up when you're slamming heads in cardoors and crubstomping people.

Duder has clearly killed many people

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know but it fucks the narrative up when you're slamming heads in cardoors and crubstomping people.

Duder has clearly killed many people

Kiryu is an expert and knows exactly how much force to exert on the car door to induce slumber but not cause any permanent damage.

And that's rad.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
There's no proof that anyone has ever been killed in a Yakuza game. Show me the death certificates, OP. You can't.

I can see their parachutes.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
That waiter is totally fine, you can totally see him standing after that rain of bullets, also that was just a work-related accident and he will probably be compensated for by the end of his shift.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Because

J8AbXKh.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously though, part of the charm of Yakuza is that all the physical violence is a core part of the universe. Nations crumble when a burly guy rips his shirt and overcoat off with one gesture, revealing his super fucking sick back tattoo.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Action scenes are decidedly arcadey and irrelevant to the actual story. It is a pretty clear distinction considering people shoot you with guns all of the time but when one is taken out in a cutscene everyone panics.

The waiter scene does stand out, but Yakuza 1 had a lot of oddities to it's storytelling that were never threaded on again.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf it's actually canon LMAO
Aha, wait until you get to the in-universe explanation for random encounters :P

There are a few posters calling this bad writing (not the rubber bullets scene, just the general carnage not being explained)... It's kind of the opposite. Leaving it unacknowledged is by far the most efficient way to tackle the problem.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Sega wanted to include a montage of Yakuza underlings crawling out of burning wrecks completely unharmed, but the development team ran out of money.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Also cars shouldn't explode when you shoot them with rubber bullets. Somebody ought to sue the auto-makers for such shoddy engineering.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Those videos don't seem to show him killing anyone though? Like irl I really doubt that'd straight up kill you, of course you'll end up in ER but not in a morgue

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Having just finished Yakuzo 0, I can attest to the fact that Kiryu murdered hundreds. That beast mode 'head slam' would have powered spines. He straight up smashes dudes with mopeds and stomps on them.