• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
made a delicious white pizza with sauteed potatoes, leeks and garlic with a little aleppo pepper

just thought i'd throw that out there

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I think it has to do with salt and sugar. These 2 thing are loaded in fast food. Your body enjoys it and it makes you crave for more.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Because humans like any animal are evolved to like food that gives energy, the problem is that our modern society has far too much food energy and the modern healthy food is the kind that's low on energy. Look at beauty ideals, nowadays slim and tanned are in because they show that you can eat low energy foods and spend your time in the sun while in past centuries fat and pale was the trend because only the rich could afford enough food to get fat and avoid working in the sun.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I make chocolate chip cookies at home that I know have pretty much exactly 100 calories per cookie. I know what's in them, I know how they're made, they're basically a complete known. I even get most of the ingredients locally if I can.

If I had to choose between that one small cookie and a heaping plate of steamed greens which has fewer calories and is much bigger, I'd pick the cookie any day and I say that as someone who loves steamed greens. Such is the curse of humanity.

Oct 25, 2017
Because humans like any animal are evolved to like food that gives energy, the problem is that our modern society has far too much food energy and the modern healthy food is the kind that's low on energy. Look at beauty ideals, nowadays slim and tanned are in because they show that you can eat low energy foods and spend your time in the sun while in past centuries fat and pale was the trend because only the rich could afford enough food to get fat and avoid working in the sun.

Are you saying I was born way too late?

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sugar lights up the brain like crack. The most common American addiction. Once you break out of the addiction cycle though you'll find healthy foods are actually quite lovely and you don't feel as shitty all the time after eating.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fun fact as an extra tidbit, especially for parents: not only is processed food bad for you and your children, but so is an over-abundance of cooked and soft food. Our diets, especially during growth and developmental stages, need more resistive and woody crunch. Otherwise, our teeth don't have enough jawbone development to properly straighten them.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
okay the better question is why is good healthy food completely inaccessible to poor people

but we know the answer to that

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Salt, sugar and fat can make things taste amazing.

Healthy food can taste fantastic too though so as and where possible you should venture into trying to cook it. Gives a great sense of satisfaction turning these raw things from the ground into a great meal. It can be creative as well as you get a sense for spices and ingredients. Perfect something for the lockdown blues.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
It is still a burger and those are not healthy, mostly trying to explain that you have a lot more control over what is out in said burger and avoid the traps of additives and sugar that is in cheap and easy to consume food, if you make it yourself.

Understanding the nutritional values of the food you consume and the amounts you consume is the key to eating healthy, eating organic salads all day long doesn't mean anything if it's floating with tons of high calorie dressing with tons of additives.

Not all food is made equally and the definition of "healthy" can also be interpreted in a lot of ways, to me healthy means cutting down on things like added sugar, sodium and other additives that doesn't need to be in the food you eat. You won't lose weight by making home made mashed potatoes from fresh ingredients sourced locally, but you can be pretty sure it's better for your body than going to KFC or using cheap powdered mashed potatoes.

The problem with weight gain is not necessarily the fact that the cheap/easy food we eat is trash from a nutritional perspective, but rather that we tend to overeat. Eating McDonalds a hamburger won't make you fat, eating two of them, some fries with condiments and a soft drink will. You can eat a hamburger at McDonalds every single day and still lose weight if you ensure that the other things you consume on the same day make up for the calories you got from that burger.

Tasty food is also a really subjective thing, to some a McDonalds hamburger tastes really bad compared to just eating raw celery with cottage cheese. Nothing tastes inherently bad and one poor experience with a kind of food doesn't mean it couldn't taste different when prepared in a different way. I really dislike eating raw tomatoes since I dislike the texture of it, but boy can tomatoes add a fantastic flavor to a huge selection of great dishes like stews.
But now you're comically missing the point just for the sake of being condescending. The original point of this topic, as has been mentioned multiple times now, was not "why does processed junk food and fast food taste good", it's "why does 'unhealthy' food taste good."

Yes, proportions and over diet matter, but no one is going to tell me that Baby Back Ribs are healthy enough to eat everyday in reasonable servings.

Also, while "tasty-ness" is subjective -- I know this first hand -- there are certain things which do fall into human norms for concrete reasons. For example, people don't normally eat dirt or feces off the ground. There's a range of human taste normal to people outside of disorders. Within that range 'tasty' can vary, but all because there's some relativity does not mean there aren't general things one can say about what does and doesn't taste good.

Also, a lot of people in this topic are ignoring what you are saying and are insisting that "no, what I like is legitimately good."

EDIT:
made a delicious white pizza with sauteed potatoes, leeks and garlic with a little aleppo pepper

just thought i'd throw that out there
That actually sounds fairly unhealthy. You've got what is basically white-bread with fried potatoes on top.

Nov 26, 2018
Some food is good for the body, and some food is good for the mind/soul. Sometimes they can be both, but neither is necessarily worse than the other. If eating too many salads gets you bummed out nothing wrong with a slice of pizza. Idk what your level or skill is with cooking, but there are plenty of recipes that are easy to start out with, and you might find the process making them quite enjoyable :)

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not only tastes better, but also cheaper.

Ive been "eating better" for over a month now and the best healthy stuff I've had is some fish from Applebee's.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What is and isn't delicious is pretty subjective and your culture and upbringing is going to likely have a strong determination in what you deem "delicious."

Here in America, our cultural palette of what's "delicious" is generally also not very healthy.

That said, there are healthy foods that can be prepared in a way to mimic or even straight-up replicate the taste of "delicious," unhealthy foods. I admit in my area it's not widely available but there's a few local spots that are quite good at doing it (it does sacrifice SOME of the health factors on some of the recipes, but it's still leagues better than the regular alternative)... It's also not terribly accessible to me on price, which means I can't do it 100% of the time. I do have the option of learning to prepare and cook those kinds of recipes myself but as much as I respect and almost even revere the act of cooking, I kind of don't like to actually perform the task myself.

It will vary depending on your income and your location in the states, but in my income level and my area, eating out healthier is usually like a 50% increase in cost. Preparing and cooking it myself is generally around 10-15% price increase. I can easily afford the latter but the former (eating out) is often a luxury cost for me.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Healthy food tastes like shit?

That is news to me.

Unhealthy food tastes good because they drown it in salt, butter and/or sugar.

The real advantage of unhealthy food is generally that it is convenient. Its honestly hard to fuck up cooking something better than a fast food meal. And even if you do fuck it up you will figure out the next time.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Only in threads like these do you see people magically forget entire cultures worth of healthy and delicious foods.

Didn't think it needed to be said but yes, you're missing out on a huge range of flavors and extremey good food when you define pizza and hamburgers as the apex of culinary achievement.

Generally speaking cooking -anything- at home, even unhealthy dishes, is healthier than eating out where restaurants wont hesitate to make the food as salty and oily as possible to get you overstimulated. Home cooking just isnt taught, isnt respected, and thats not touching people in food deserts. Just being able to cook at home if you can is a huge privelege. And yeah, there are good, healthy dishes created before the advent of the cheeseburger you can find online. I reccomnd butter chicken or channa masala for starters. Or go to budgetbytes.com

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Sugar, salt, and fat in everything has lead to ultra palatable foods that we can't resist.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wrongest thread on Era. Congrats lol

Fuck yeah I would.

Honestly, with your whole response taken into account, I've decided you people are from some twilight universe.

No one wants a glass of water and quinoa. No one.

Me, a very smart person: You fool, you enjoy Pizza? You moron. I prepare my pickled radish on cold wholewheat noodles with skill and it tastes better than any pizza.

So, we've now found the culinary equivalent of:

Good job, era. Way to be condescending and unhelpful about a topic that isn't video games. I knew you could do it!

This thread is INCREDIBLY pretentious lmfao

Last edited:

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's taken me years of small, consistent changes but it's possible to develop a preference for healthy food over unhealthy food, taste-wise. YMMV of course.

My partner and I almost completely stopped adding any salt to our food, for example. Now food from elsewhere tastes way too salty and I'd rather cook at home.

I'm fortunate enough to have the space and resources for a small collection of potted herbs, and that helps a lot too. Being able to add fresh basil, sage, thyme, rosemary, etc makes for some very flavorful meals, and over time has changed my perception of what "flavorful" entails.

I think quinoa is a GOAT staple. The breakfast quinoa I make is delicious AF, blows oatmeal and sugary cereals out of the water IMO. I'd absolutely rather have a bowl of quinoa with soy milk, honey, cinnamon, and fruit, than have a bowl of Fruity Pebbles or Lucky Charms or Cookie Crisp.

Also American food culture just sucks and makes the pursuit of well-being so much more of an uphill battle than it needs to be. As others here have mentioned, there are plenty of cultures in the world that boast delicious, varied cuisines that won't clog up your arteries or summon cancers of the colon or pummel your pancreas until it says "fuck it, I'm done, get your shitty insulin elsewhere."

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Healthy food tastes great

Grab a sweet potato and microwave it. Boom its amazing, cheap and delicious

Cut brussel sprouts in half and grill. Season with some salt. Boom delicious

Eat fucking carrot's, cucumbers, bell peppers, nuts

Slice and grill Zuchini/summer squash. Dont even need to season that shit.

Cherry tomatoes. Just eat em

How about broccoli. Slice in flat sections and throw that shit in a pan with a little salt and oilive oil. Boom amazing and crunchy

Dude. Healthy foods are just as universally amazing as unhealthy. And stupid easy and cheap to make.
I really wish I could trick myself into believing this like some people. None of those things taste remotely as good as say a bacon cheeseburger or a deep dish pizza. You are absolutely lying to your self if you say otherwise.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States

I am no one

giphy.gif

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, with your whole response taken into account, I've decided you people are from some twilight universe.

This thread is INCREDIBLY pretentious lmfao
i like healthy food , am quite thin and come from a country with a strong culinary tradition (France, though a good amount of our stuff is not necessarily healthy) and I want to slap half of the people in this thread. The question of the OP obviously has relevance given every country has a tendency towards obesity - it does mean people gravitate more easily around unhealthy food.
and even more lol at the 'if you widened your horizons you'd discover lots of delicious healthy ethnic food'. Tons of delicious ethnic food ain't that healthy, mates.I mean sure teriyaki is better for you than fried chicken but it's hardly a health good either.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You probably underseason stuff, OP. Also, fat is not that bad. It adds flavor.

I love Korean food myself as a go to healthyish cuisine with tons of flavor.

Mr Coopz

Jul 21, 2019
This is why I love having the best of both worlds. Also every time a thread like this gets made Era always jumps down the Op's throat and laments them for not cooking the right way or the presumption that they can't cook at all. It's absolutely hilarious, it plays out the same way every time.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
It's taken me years of small, consistent changes but it's possible to develop a preference for healthy food over unhealthy food, taste-wise. YMMV of course.

My partner and I almost completely stopped adding any salt to our food, for example. Now food from elsewhere tastes way too salty and I'd rather cook at home.

The great thing about home cooking is that you can choose your ingredients and their amounts. I'm sure "no salt" is working well for you and your partner. I've found that a very small amount of salt can transform a dish from mediocre-bad to great, and it's not deleterious in any way.

Oct 30, 2017
it may not be super healthy but one of my favorite meals to make is prepackaged Vindaloo over jasmine rice with a small slice of garlic naan.

nothing about it is overindulgent, but it is a better choice than fast food and it is fucking delicious.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
It can't be stated enough: You have to learn how to cook and you have to cook what you enjoy. There's a time investment and there's trial and error involved and cleaning dishes can fucking suck and whatnot and it means you don't just indiscriminately choke down "vegetables"(no, I'm not going to just eat a bunch of pre-bagged lettuce with shitty dressing). But the limiting factor to eating "healthy" isn't taste. I could become a supermassive fat fuck just fine on fibrous fruits, zucchini, potatoes, carrots, asparagus, beans and lean meats.

The final boss at that point literally just becomes portion control, which ironically becomes harder when your eating options become so much bigger, even if that stretches out to conventionally healthy foods.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
The dose makes the poison. I wouldn't get too caught up in the healthy food craze. Just eat what you want but make sure its varied and contains all needed nutrients.
Look at the italian diet for some ideas on what to eat.

Florian

Apr 4, 2018
This comes down to habit as well.
I would not swap a filled eggplant for a BigMac. Most fast food makes me sick and I dislike greasy stuff.
There is a world full of great food. But you have to revamp your tastebuds after years of salt, sugar and sh*t.
And it`s not black and white, like Sanka said The dose makes the poison .
Lean meats, veggies, herbs & spices can create great meals.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But now you're comically missing the point just for the sake of being condescending. The original point of this topic, as has been mentioned multiple times now, was not "why does processed junk food and fast food taste good", it's "why does 'unhealthy' food taste good."

Yes, proportions and over diet matter, but no one is going to tell me that Baby Back Ribs are healthy enough to eat everyday in reasonable servings.

Also, while "tasty-ness" is subjective -- I know this first hand -- there are certain things which do fall into human norms for concrete reasons. For example, people don't normally eat dirt or feces off the ground. There's a range of human taste normal to people outside of disorders. Within that range 'tasty' can vary, but all because there's some relativity does not mean there aren't general things one can say about what does and doesn't taste good.

Also, a lot of people in this topic are ignoring what you are saying and are insisting that "no, what I like is legitimately good."

I don't intend to be condescending at all and I'm sorry if you read it that way.

I'm just saying that you are not gonna get instantly fat or malnutritioned by eating ribs some times in moderation if you don't eat like that all the time. Fat, salt, sugar and various additives can make food taste great, but they aren't exactly the best things for your body in larger amounts.

Eating dirt or literal shit is in no way healthy even if a select amount of people might find it tasty due to some disorder they might be suffering from, this entire discussion is if taste and health benefits is connected. The availability of new foods and our cultural habits absolutely has a ton to say about our eating habits, many people in the same geographical area will usually enjoy much of the same type of foods because that's what they are used to, healthy or not.

It's not shocking that tons of people in the US and around the world get accustomed to eating fast food when you have literal 1$ menus that makes it easy for busy parents to feed their kids with, these kids will just grow up eating the same food with the impression that it's how food is supposed to taste, unhealthy food options just becomes normalized as food.

Our openness to accepting new tastes is definitely a product of how we grew up and how varied we are used to eating, it's easy to dismiss something new because it's different than what you normally eat and you don't associate it with anything you experienced previously. Tasty foods can be unhealthy and healthy foods can be tasty, nothing is mutually exclusive and it really depends on the individual.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not too late to change

i like healthy food , am quite thin and come from a country with a strong culinary tradition (France, though a good amount of our stuff is not necessarily healthy) and I want to slap half of the people in this thread. The question of the OP obviously has relevance given every country has a tendency towards obesity - it does mean people gravitate more easily around unhealthy food.
and even more lol at the 'if you widened your horizons you'd discover lots of delicious healthy ethnic food'. Tons of delicious ethnic food ain't that healthy, mates.I mean sure teriyaki is better for you than fried chicken but it's hardly a health good either.

Every word of this. It's an attitude that seems to ignore A) tons of cultures & B) how difficult it can be to be exposed to these healthy foods in the first place

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
do abled people even comprehend the amount of time and emotional energy it takes for disabled persons (at least, a plurality thereof) to prepare a meal. sometimes i can't make a pot of noodles. sometimes i can't even stick something frozen in the oven. that's about all i can do because if i try cooking something and it turns out bad then i'll have wasted money on ingredients, i'll still be hungry, and i'll be upset for the rest of the day
I'm disabled by severe mental illness, so I know all too well how hard it is to summon the energy and resolve to perform even simple tasks. Thanks to rampant capitalism, legit healthy choices are relatively hard to come by, and those of us who could really use the aid of a paid cook (as many middle class folks had in the old days) are not even close to being able to afford the luxury. I'm personally extremely, extremely lucky to live with a master chef whom is happy to do all the cooking in the household.

There really needs to be a massive sea change in the social safety so that the disabled are able to receive the help we need.

Jack Bonjour

Jan 15, 2018
I don't intend to be condescending at all and I'm sorry if you read it that way.

I'm just saying that you are not gonna get instantly fat or malnutritioned by eating ribs some times in moderation if you don't eat like that all the time. Fat, salt, sugar and various additives can make food taste great, but they aren't exactly the best things for your body in larger amounts.

Eating dirt or literal shit is in no way healthy even if a select amount of people might find it tasty due to some disorder they might be suffering from, this entire discussion is if taste and health benefits is connected. The availability of new foods and our cultural habits absolutely has a ton to say about our eating habits, many people in the same geographical area will usually enjoy much of the same type of foods because that's what they are used to, healthy or not.

It's not shocking that tons of people in the US and around the world get accustomed to eating fast food when you have literal 1$ menus that makes it easy for busy parents to feed their kids with, these kids will just grow up eating the same food with the impression that it's how food is supposed to taste, unhealthy food options just becomes normalized as food.

Our openness to accepting new tastes is definitely a product of how we grew up and how varied we are used to eating, it's easy to dismiss something new because it's different than what you normally eat and you don't associate it with anything you experienced previously. Tasty foods can be unhealthy and healthy foods can be tasty, nothing is mutually exclusive and it really depends on the individual.
The dose makes the poison. I wouldn't get too caught up in the healthy food craze. Just eat what you want but make sure its varied and contains all needed nutrients.
Look at the italian diet for some ideas on what to eat.

These posts above do a pretty good job of summing everything up. First of all, our palate gets used to the foods we normally eat. For example, I used to be picky with fresh tomatoes, but I started to eat them regularly and now a good local farmer tomato salad (just tomato and spring onion, add white tuna and green olives if you're feeling fancy) is one of my favourite dishes for the summer. Secondly, eating healthy does not mean you can never eat a burger or pizza; it means you should try to eat as varied as possible and portion control. I'm not American, but it seems to me one of your main issues regarding food comes from the ridiculous servings you have (IIRC, a small American McD drink was a medium in Europe) that equate quantity to value and make people end up eating more than they really need to.

Apart from that, I guess there are countries that have a healthier cuisine, mostly because it is more varied and because of the base ingredients they use. I'd say any Mediterranean cooking should do the trick: Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Greek...

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I just want to say that at one point, I ate really healthy for a few months and by the end of that period, good fruit tasted amazing. Sometimes you just gotta reboot your taste buds.

To go along with that, when I lived in Taiwan, I noticed that their cakes & pastries were drastically less sugary than similar American cakes. And they liked them, because they didn't have the same inundation with sugar that Americans have.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Junk food companies put a lot of research into making their food addictive and make you want to crave it. It's really not anyone's fault except the food companies.