• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Because your perception of time changes. Each passing year is the same amount of time objectively, but that measurement of time becomes a smaller portion of your overall life, and so even though the same amount of time passed, your 30th or 40th year seems to come and go much quicker than your 10th or whatever.

Our perception of reality isn't some constant thing. Everything about it is always changing at least a tiny bit. Time is no different.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
There is some science behind it. Wish I could recall the book I bought for someone specifically about this very subject.

Edit* Found it

Making Time: Why Time Seems to Pass at Different Speeds and How to Control it

51zaCAHau9L._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited:

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Maybe your memory becomes less specific because e.g. the first time you see a christmas tree you gotta take in all the details of that new concept, the more of them you see the more you can abstract the thought to "one of those". So you'll end up with less memories of each year the older you get?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
because you actually have responsibilities as an adult and realize how little free time you have because of them

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps a monotonous routine causes multiple days to bleed into one. I didn't really do anything this year, and January feels like last week.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
Because your perception of time changes. Each passing year is the same amount of time objectively, but that measurement of time becomes a smaller portion of your overall life, and so even though the same amount of time passed, your 30th or 40th year seems to come and go much quicker than your 10th or whatever.

Our perception of reality isn't some constant thing. Everything about it is always changing at least a tiny bit. Time is no different.

Yep. When you're 6, a year is 1/6 of your life.

When you're 30, 5 years is 1/6 of your life.

This is compounded by the fact that years aren't marked by long summer breaks from school once you enter the workforce.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Fewer novel experiences is a part of it I think.

If anyone has any real anxiety about it, I'd recommend keeping some kind of journal because there's a lot of stuff happening that you just kinda forget.

OP
OP
yellow wallpaper

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017

Thank you!

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your days are more full with stuff like work, family, etc unlike when you were younger when you would/could be bored more often. The hours go by without you noticing

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
My work makes time fly.

I work on monthly marketing campaigns so as soon as you're done with 1 campaign, you get a little breathing space before its onto the next to ensure you meet deadlines.

It's a never ending cycle and can get exhausting as you try to analyse and improve your campaigns while your actively delivering them.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
You are experiencing less new things as you grow up, so time seems to go faster by doing nothing unusual.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Common spans of time account for less of your total lifespan as you grow older. A year is a long time when you're 2. That's literally half your life. Not so much when you're 71

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
My pet theory is that it has to do with the expansion of the universe, and how spacetime is relative. Haven't fleshed it out, though.

Griever

Oct 27, 2017
Time goes by pretty slow in old age homes, I would think. Unless it's bingo night...

But really, adulting makes time go by faster because it's less free time. Suddenly, you don't have to just worry about school anymore, you have to work, do the shopping, pay the bills etc

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because you stop doing adventures and filling your life with wonder and fascination so it just blurs into a mess, you go through the daily motions and then it ends.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Basically what I came to post.
Fewer novel experiences is a part of it I think.

If anyone has any real anxiety about it, I'd recommend keeping some kind of journal because there's a lot of stuff happening that you just kinda forget.

I started keeping a "journal" this year, and it's been pretty interesting. I literally write one sentence about what I did or where I went, but yeah, scrolling back through it shows just how much stuff from even like early 2019 I've already forgotten about.

OP
OP
yellow wallpaper

yellow wallpaper

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Because you stop doing adventures and filling your life with wonder and fascination so it just blurs into a mess, you go through the daily motions and then it ends.
This is a quote that I can't agree with. I travel at least 2 times a year to places I've never been to before. The adventure thing is bs. It's what rocket scientist above said.

Mar 29, 2018
Heard a great podcast on this a few years back:

Your memory is like a needle making grooves into a vinyl record. To begin with, you press the writing needle very hard as your brain is making new memories - this slows the record down. The more new information your brain writes, the slower time seems to go. Time is more granular.

As you get older, less and less stuff seems new. At 15, Putting your shoes isn't new like it was when you were 5. At 25, seeing a classic movie isn't the same as when you were 10. At 30, getting drunk isn't the same as when you were 15. At 40, going to work isn't exciting and strange and new like it was when you were 20.

And that just keeps happening - every single thing you've experienced before gradually becoming less and less important to your brain, until the needle is writing down not very much. This means the vinyl record - time - is spinning faster and faster, because the needle of memory is barely pressing against it.

This is also why emergencies and accidents cause time to go "slowly" from your perception - your brain goes into "emergency - be careful" mode and begins writing down EVERYTHING It sees (in our analogy here the needle presses REALLY hard into the record and slows it right down) so you remember LOADS more stuff.

TL;DR: Time = memory. Making new memories = slower perception of time.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Heard a great podcast on this a few years back:

Your memory is like a needle making grooves into a vinyl record. To begin with, you press the writing needle very hard as your brain is making new memories - this slows the record down. The more information you record, the slower time seems to go. Time is more granular.

As you get older, less and less stuff seems new. Putting your shoes isn't new like it was when you were 5. Seeing a classic movie isn't the same as when you were 10. Getting drunk isn't the same as when you were 15.

And that just keeps happening, until the needle is writing down not very much, so the record - time - is spinning faster and faster, because the needle of memory is barely pressing against it.

This is also why emergencies and accidents cause time to go "slowly" from your perception - your brain goes into "emergency - be careful" mode and begins writing down EVERYTHING It sees (in our analogy here the needle presses REALLY hard into the record and slows it right down) so you remember LOADS more stuff.

TL;DR: Time = memory. Making new memories = slower perception of time.
so a pro tip is to have an adventurous retirement

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When you start seeing the world in terms of weeks rather than days, time flies past with greater speed. Personal experience.

Saturdays are drugs.

Griever

Oct 27, 2017
Retirement communities are more active than you think.

My father is 87, and he goes out dancing 3 nights a week, and the other 4 days are usually booked, too.
Yeah...that was just a joke. But I doubt his boogie nights make him feel as though time goes faster the older he gets. That was my point.

Zona

Oct 27, 2017
Because as you get older each year is less of your life as a percentage. Going from seven to eight is an eight of your life, from 29 to 30 is a 30th.

Nov 12, 2017
Heuristics. The older you get, the more things become routine. Your brain compartmentalizes everything into shortcuts, so more things become automatic and less things become full conscious experiences.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Time is change of state, you have nothing of importance that needs to be burned into your short and longterm memory? Change of state seems minimal, once you are out of school and trapped in a comfortable job/recreation cycle that drops to such a level that you look back at 20 years and wonder why they flew by like that. If you want to minimize that feeling then start learning new and difficult things. Burn stuff into your memory that fills up spacetime in your mind, once you become a consumption and repetition animal, it's over!

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You stop absorbing as much information, and thus your brain filters out filler you already got used to. I remember watching MK as a kid (yep I know I was a super cool kid) and the Sonya vs Kano fight lasted like an hour, but when I rewatched it again when I was 17 I realized the scene was like barely 5 minutes long. Its wild.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
People are constantly busy and occupied. People work 8-12 hours a day, which leaves them just a few hours a day to themselves. If they have a family or any other type of responsibilities, school for instance, that time is even further restricted. Now you repeat this day in and day out. Days melt into weeks, weeks into months, and months into years. When we are constantly occupied, we pay less attention to time and it seems to move faster. In order to slow it down you need to break routine.

Memories also plays a factor.

In the 1800s, French philosopher Paul Janet argued that we perceive time in proportion to the length of time we've been alive. So, one year in a five-year-old's life seems longer than one year out of an 80-year-old's life. But Dr Irish said current theories suggest our perception of time speeding up as we reflect back on events is all a trick of our memory. "Memory has a huge factor to play in the way that we perceive time," she said. Memories are laid down when we have new experiences — and the stronger the emotion associated with the experience, the longer lasting the memory is. Whether it be a traumatic accident or a pleasurable first kiss, defining memories are part of who we are, Dr Irish said. "These are so central to our identity that we really remember them in vivid detail," she said. Importantly, these memories act like signposts, punctuating periods of time in our life and giving it a sense of duration. When we are young, we tend to have more defining experiences — our first date, getting married, our first child — but as we age, we tend to fall into routines, and have fewer new experiences.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retirement communities are more active than you think.

My father is 87, and he goes out dancing 3 nights a week, and the other 4 days are usually booked, too.

That's super good to hear and I agree. My grandfather does woodworking multiple times a week and my grandmother in the same community has a movie club and talks to neighbours a lot. Breaks my heart to know that some retirement/elderly communities aren't as well connected though.