• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
So I was looking at the OP in that Texas ERA thread regarding the cold snap they will be experiencing. And saw a screenshot in the opening post regarding it being 28 degrees.... Fahrenheit.

It's still weird to look at temperature in such an outdated way, when everyone else uses Celsius.

And then you notice the measurement systems such as weight, distance, etc.

I looked it up, and basically the US, Liberia and Myanmar are the last 3 countries to fully use the imperial system. The UK, the birthplace of said system, still apparently uses decent portions of it as well.

Why not switch to the metric system?

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because we still use it and no one's mandated for it to be changed

Fahrenheit is better for layperson weather though and no one will ever convince me otherwise

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because it's more money and trouble than it's worth to change over every highway sign, label, product, vehicle, etc. made in/for America to reflect the metric system.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's completely ingrained and would require a massive commitment to make the change that nobody really cares to make.

Decades ago speed limit signs started being posted in MPH/KPH but it didn't really do anything to push the US toward metric and was abandoned.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
We are taught it in school, and use for it somethings, but imperial units are just too engrained. Not enough political effort to really pull the bandaid off.

Oct 25, 2017
They made a good effort to switch in the 1970s but many thought it was a communist plot and I think Reagan put an end to it.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably because it's more money and trouble than it's worth to change over every highway sign, label, product, vehicle, etc. made in/for America to reflect the metric system.

But other countries have adapted to the metric system? Including signs, products, labels, etc.

And it's commonplace.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
lZmHHGM.gif

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
The shit is way too integrated into society to change at this point. But they taught us both systems in school so I never have a problem regardless of what system people use

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was gonna be about distance measurements, which are indeed ludicrous.

Temperature though? Fahrenheit is actually superior imo.

Wyndstryker

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the US, we Canadians get both metric and imperial with people using both or a hybrid combination even though we're officially under metric.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The people who benefit from metric, like the military or scientists, are already on metric. The average Joe just doesn't need it or care.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
The street sign argument will become less compelling over the next decade as cars move closer towards more automation and in-vehicle display of speed limits, distance, and so forth. You may even be able to toggle between kmh and mph display as a system setting. The same applies to temperature which becomes an app/device preference/setting.

The biggest challenge will be weight/length measurement, but length could slowly integrate as a result of technology rather than a forced pivot. The UK is slowly crawling towards metric and the US will get there too.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this was gonna be about distance measurements, which are indeed ludicrous.

Sorry, I usually type out my opening posts in a note document, before pasting over(to catch typos beforehand), but didn't notice I did not capture the full post until now.

It started regarding temperature, and then got me thinking about common units of measurement too.

If everyone else utilizes a universal way of measuring or reading various quantitative parts of society, wouldn't it technically make things more efficient?

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything about the U.S. government is designed to fight change and there's two dozen important things that need to be addressed before we could even entertain a lower-priority change like switching to the metric system. If I remember right, President Carter tried and failed and Reagan stopped the change.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
As the economic powerhouse of the 20th century, we never had enough external pressure to make it happen, industries don't like the idea of switching because it means changing a bunch of stuff, and most people are content sticking with what they're used to.

Temperature is the hardest to get used to, I don't think it's ever going to be natural to think in celsius for me.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Thanks Ronald Reagan.

We do learn it in school though. And we use it for science class.

Also I think a lot of foods and drinks have metric units as well as imperial. My water right here says 1.05 pints (500 mL) lol

Oct 25, 2017

How so? In the OP's example, how would people know "28 degrees" is when it will snow and become icy, and "38 degrees" is when it will rain instead and the snow will start to melt? In celsius -2c vs. +3c it's way more obvious. The Farenheit numbers are random and don't have any intrinsic meaning.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How so? In the OP's example, how would people know "28 degrees" is when it will snow and become icy, and "38 degrees" is when it will rain instead and the snow will start to melt? In celsius -2c vs. +3c it's way more obvious.
More precision. There's a noticeable difference between setting the thermostat to 70 degrees vs 71, but under Celsius both would just be 21.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Change is hard. Also, totally agree that Fahrenheit is better for granularity.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How so? In the OP's example, how would people know "28 degrees" is when it will snow and become icy, and "38 degrees" is when it will rain instead and the snow will start to melt? In celsius -2c vs. +3c it's way more obvious. The Farenheit numbers are random and don't have any intrinsic meaning.
This is true. Freezing being 0 and boiling 100 makes a lot more sense.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Temperature feels more like it relates to what you may experience personally rather than based on other factors. 32 F is when water freezes, but it's not that cold. You can expect to experience temperatures from 0 to 100 throughout the year, like a rating of how hot it is from 0 to 100. Anything outside of that range is too extreme and to be avoided if possible.

Edit: In other words basically the difference between this thinking:
And this thinking:
I agree, 0 is cold as hell, 100 is hot is hell

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In a scientific sense. In a layperson sense, nobody is gonna care about boiling being 100, they're just turning a knob on a stove to high and putting the pot on and remembering 32 degrees is freezing is no harder then remembering 0 Celsius is freezing. The positive number granularity makes Fahrenheit better.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Fahrenheit temperatures are on a scale based on human comfort levels. A scale of 0 to 100 is easier for the human brain to grok. And in fahrenheit, 0 is really freaking cold and 100 is really freaking hot, and most places never encounter temperatures beyond those extremes.

In celsius that scale ranges from -18 to 38. Not hard to learn, obviously, but less intuitive than 0 to 100.

If you told me it was 15 degrees celsius, I have no idea how comfortable that is, even knowing the -18 to 38 range. But on a 0 to 100 scale, you can guess approximately how cool or hot any given temperature would be

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
In a scientific sense. In a layperson sense, nobody is gonna care about boiling being 100, they're just turning a knob on a stove to high and putting the pot on and remembering 32 degrees is freezing is no harder then remembering 0 Celsius is freezing. The positive number granularity makes Fahrenheit better.
You realize there are tons of laypeople who understand and use Celsius, right?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly who cares. As long as scientists use international standards (which they do) then this is all cosmetic at best. You might as well say everyone should speak one language across the world. It would make things marginally easier for me while being incredibly difficult on a huge amount of people.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
We had our chance to change it in the 1970s. They squandered that chance, now we're stuck like this....until we crumble from the inside while we fight amongst ourselves.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The short answer is that it would cost a lot of time and money to switch over. Consider that the entire infrastructure uses the imperial system. You would need decades to retrain people and slowly transition from one set of sizes to another.

Also measurements of temperature are just in relative terms. 0 degrees is the freezing point of pure water and 100 degrees is its boiling point. Do you walk outside and determine how close to boiling or freezing the water in your body is to changing phases? No of course not. You just know from experience that 0 degrees C is cold, lower than that is even colder, 20 degrees is comfortable, etc. Works the same way with standard using in the empirical system. People know that 32 degrees is cold and that 100 degrees is really hot.

And if you want intrinsic meaning, why aren't you using Kelvin? −273.15 K is absolute zero. Why do you use pure water as your base of measurement instead of that?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I usually type out my opening posts in a note document, before pasting over(to catch typos beforehand), but didn't notice I did not capture the full post until now.

It started regarding temperature, and then got me thinking about common units of measurement too.

If everyone else utilizes a universal way of measuring or reading various quantitative parts of society, wouldn't it technically make things more efficient?
We do it to annoy you.

Hoenstly the reasons have already been covered. The US is massive and any mandated change would be expensive end met with opposition.

It's never ever never ever never ever never going to change. So talking about it once a month is pointless. We get that but annoys other countries. But we don't care.