• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
America used to be the beacon of hope , the one economy/society/cultural reference most used to look up to. Its fall from grace is certainly quick, painful, shocking and almost unbelievable.

Everyday there's some new incredibly terrifying dumb thing being said by your president and/or republican senators/congressmen/supreme court judges . It's comparable to the most absurd dictatorships ever known to civilization and it's not even halfway of this steep decline.

The corona response and all the corrupt things your government is doing is unfuckingbelievable. How people is not rioting in the streets asking for Trump's and his families' head is astounding. 4 years ago this was stuff of nightmares relegated to an impossible scenario there would be incredible if it was happening in North Korea.

So yeah, America is fucked up and there's nothing being done to save it. Of course it's gonna get discussed here with a passion.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If that's true, don't you think his role as the catalyst isn't warranted for this distinction?

If people can't be simply decent to one another in disagreement; if people are given the kind of enablement to devalue each other's basic humanity, all hope for meaningful progression of any kind is lost. And it's all happened under his watch.

I think Trump is an effective answer to what you get after decades of propaganda, racism, disenfranchisement and cultural hegemony, yes.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
EV6G6ihXYAAQWCB.jpg

I enjoy that this woman unironically scrawled her sign in the exact same font one would expect to see in a Batman comic book panel involving something shouted or written by the Joker, and she's completely oblivious to that fact.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Am I tripping or is just kind of the cool thing to generalize and piss on Americans around here?
Basically, yeah. My favorite, though, is when the Brits try to get a laugh in as if they're not the exact same people as us with the only separating factors being a royal monarchy and tea instead of coffee.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If that's true, don't you think his role as the catalyst isn't warranted for this distinction?

If people can't be simply decent to one another in disagreement; if people are given the kind of enablement to devalue each other's basic humanity, all hope for meaningful progression of any kind is lost. And it's all happened under his watch.

You should probably look up how the civil rights movement played out if you think what people are doing under Trump is new for this country. You know lynchings were not only common but something you took the family to watch, maybe have a picnic before cutting off the now dead person's toe for a souvenir.

Oct 26, 2017
Because everything is awful in this country, it has never done anything good, is irredeemable and should just be abandoned so that conservatives can fuck over everyone harder. /s

A lot of people have fallen to nihilistic defeatism, it's unfortunate. It deserves criticism, but then sheer negativity can be a bit much at times.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'd like to visit one day, I have American friends I really appreciate and you guys make my favourite games and maybe movies. But I probably wouldn't live in the US, it might be the only country where I could experience racism specifically for being Mexican ;( I also rather enjoy affordable/free healthcare and public transportation I guess.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
It's the dismissive attitude toward other cultures and global interests that turns a lot of people off.

Also, war mongering and gun worship makes people look absolutely mad.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
This forum is filled with Yankees. And Yankees aren't known for being knowledgeable about things outside America to put it kindly. People aren't going to create posts and talk about topics they know nothing about.

learning

Jan 4, 2019
Most powerful and influential country
Lots of Americans here
Lots of liberals here
Trump is a dumbass and is current president
Trump fucks everything up

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The US is a deeply flawed country and swaths of it are full of dumbasses.

A lot of non-Americans also like to pile on since no one's gonna talk shit about their own countries, at least not willingly unless you get the rare thread.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018

Like Mekanos said, Trump isn't the catalyst but the result of the right wing's onslaught against the public. I don't know what disagreement/enablement you're referring to...but if you're talking politically the folks pushing this ain't here to have a nice conversation over some tea.

Hardly any of this is new, just the heat has been turned up for a myriad of reasons. Without a significant leftist counter the drag rightward will continue.

"China isn't discussed on this forum enough", okay OP.

Yeah dont know what OP is talking about. It mainly seems like whataboutism: the thread.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Is it wrong that whenever I see people talk about how America is still the greatest country on earth, my first cynical thought is, "they must be a white dude?"

As a person of color, I can't help but feel completely disenfranchised with this place. There are amazing people here, but the deep rooted institutional and systemic oppression of marginalized groups permeates this country, and it's going to take a widespread change of mindset and policy to actually make life livable for all of us, not just some of us.
It's not wrong. It's a privilege to even say that. All I look around and see is people being exploited and sold a dream that really depends on where you are born and who you know and rarely about your character. What kind of dream is that.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
expecting americans to be knowledgeable about foreign countries affairs

source.gif

we talk about what we (barely) know and that's american politics, so naturally that's all that gets made fun of.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
I for one can be unfair with my generalisation towards America and Americans and I am sorry for that. '

But man , that country is full of stupid and crazy.

While half of the world is going through some form of lockdown in a pandemic and a disaster not seen since the Second World War, America's president has encouraged the populace to revolt against a public safety measure and guess what, the people actually listened.

The country is full of fucking crazy nut jobs and the President is the head nut job.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Because the western world is very connected. As an Australian I know a hell of a lot more about America than I do China and India.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if you want people to criticise brutal dictatorial regimes instead of America, America and the CIA should stop installing them all around the world.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
Because almost all the forum knows about current events in America regardless of where they're from.

Only a minority of posters are able to hold conversations about other parts of the world.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
USA breaks headlines almost every day with some stupid shit while you don't really hear as much from smaller countries.

There are, however, these discernible USA centric issues that seem insane to the rest of us ie. issues relating to gun violence that make some of us hesitant to even visit the states, not to mention the current political leadership constantly making absurd headlines.

edit: Florida Man/Woman is also making you look bad sometimes

Last edited:

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
America gets excoriated in every possible thread about their stupidity and their civil rights abuses, etc.. And rightfully so! American has a deeply flawed political system and a social culture steeped in racism and cruelty.

But very rarely is that same energy directed at China's countless civil rights abuses, India's insidious prosecution of its Muslim populations or the myriad other examples we could toss out there?

Am I tripping or is just kind of the cool thing to generalize and piss on Americans around here?

My feelings are hurt.
Our president is Donald Trump.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
So US exceptionalism the topic?

Cause whenever a countrie does something stupid, people talk about it. And US has been doing alot of stupid stuffs recently with this pandemic.

Ex. All the Brexit topics as it was leading up to Brexit.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Most members here are American and they have every right to pile on their country. We others just go with the flow and join in. ;)

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Adding to the "most members here are American", a lot of us here live in countries that are impacted by the decisions USA make.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It's the combination of most users likely being American, and the absurdity of American life. America has the capacity to do so many life-improving things that it just won't ever do. We (Americans) can go on and on about the evils of our own country forever, but the second we have an opportunity to do something about it we turn into huge assholes. Everyone loves the idea of being better until we have to do something.

The number of Americans who pat themselves on the back because they show up once every four years to vote for a presidential candidate they really don't even like (because they couldn't be bothered to participate in a primary) is pathetic. Trump is our president. I can sit here just like the every-four-years voters and say "well I didn't vote for him", but the truth is he'd never even be a contender if everyone (who can vote) actually voted in every election at every level of government every time. That no one ever talks about the courts is really telling.

America is just good enough for just enough people to never do anything to make it better for everyone. I see the flip side of what OP sees. I'm less concerned with dunking on America than the "America isn't all bad" takes on the internet. The implication of that is never "America isn't all bad, but we have to change what is". The implication is "America isn't all bad, so shut up".
Adding to the "most members here are American", a lot of us here live in countries that are impacted by the decisions USA make.
Also this.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I don't know but as an American I fuckin' hate this country. Its hard not to talk shit about it when half the country hates me because I'm brown and my life is by default worse because of something I have no control over.. Its fully deserved and I hold no love for my country. I feel like most of the shit talking is by Americans, though. This is a predominately US forum.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Its a combination of the majority of the board being American and making US centric topics, cultural osmosis, and the bizarre trajectory of USA politics.
There is just so much news out of the USA, a lot of which is brought up by Americans right on this board, and US centric topics are the only ones that get serious traction.

We just don't get that kind of granularity out of many other places, I couldn't name 10 Federal Subjects in Russia, and I didn't know the name of Tokyo's Mayor without looking it up let alone what is actually happening with them and what their situations are. But I know who fucking Pete Buttigieg is and he was the Mayor of a nothing town and I know his politics well enough to have a goddamned take.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
We literally had a thread stickied that was dedicated to companies that used China slave labor, and how wrong all that is.

75% of this board is probably north American, so of course we're gonna shit on the things we know, and trump is such a fool it makes it easy.

Why do people even let things like that offend them. Your politicians are not your friends or family, why do so many get offended when you point out how shitty they are. Makes no damn sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.