• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
A very excellent point, and just to be clear, i 100% agree.

Personally speaking, if you want to have a blank slate protagonist, going all the way with it makes the most sense, so its not as if i disagree with the actual argument in question the thread is posing. Just the idea that authorial direction is being challenged.

Although again based on my previous statement, your point is so excellent i can't refute it and it makes my original post seem silly and full of holes. There is literally no reason why, if there is a blank slate protagonist,that the hero has to specificlally be male in Dragon Quest 11 or any other game,outside of childhood friend being designed for a heterosexual relationship, which could easily be changed with a male if that was that big a deal to some people.

I'm not used to earnest acknowledgments of another poster being in the right in a forum discussion, so I dunno if I'm being japed c_c

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Honestly in this modern world, I less and less want inclusion for the sake of it, and more for it to come from proper collaboration and planning.

For a game like Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, which added a female playable character too, that was awesome. But in an RPG like this? I wouldn't just want to see a female, or Black, or Latino, or any change to the protag without some proper people to help flesh out the role. And for THAT, I wish we'd see more global consideration when designing these kind of works.

It's so much easier to communicate and share ideas now, than ever. Businesses shouldn't be making tone-deaf strategies and decisions when products are aimed out at the world anymore. I admit to liking some of the adherence to tradition (I don't want my Japanese made games tackling every western issue!) but I hope the success of things like this DQ can make the next one a bit more open to inspiration.

Personally, I feel like this game is a surprising return of form towards the kind of refined content we had in the lower-power 3D graphic days. So many well fleshed-out battle animations, so many unique actions that could have been otherwise shared between everyone (like everyone's unique dances when confused), sizable towns that feel like up-res'd 16 bit towns, rather than places with WIDE OPEN NOTHING for the sake of saying it's an open world, memorable shopkeeps and towns folk unique to each region, so many special animations for all the monsters... it's a high class effort. That's the kind of attention to detail I'd want to see in having the ability to personalize your MC. If they can't deliver it up to that standard, doing it as best they can with 1 appearance is fine.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
It's just frustrating when people say you can understand how they're feeling from their expressions but the Luminary looks at things in the same way. There is no nuance to how they express over seeing:

Their village having been destroyed

and seeing something mildly bad.

That is the only scene where his non-expressions works though
as he is in shock and frozen starring and Erik telling him that they need to go as he would have been there all day, you could feel his emotion in that one scene. Just a few moments earlier though before that, his dumbass sees himself as a kid who could speak mind you, and he just doofs around with no emotion lol

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not used to earnest acknowledgments of another poster being in the right in a forum discussion, so I dunno if I'm being japed c_c

Japed?

No, i am being genuine. I reviewed my original underlying point and realized that i had not actually thought my position through enough compared to your post, and the OP's point as well.

Authorial direction is one thing, but that on its own isnt a barrier to questioning why things exist in the state that they do, which should always be done to any point.

A male dominated work force, a male dominated team focused on a male dominated audience who wants that self insert fantasy character is a much stronger answer than simply saying its "what the devs wanted", because once you introduce that aspect, questions obviously begin when there is no real story or underlying game specific structural reason for that reality to exist.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
No reason as far as I remember, just the story they wanted to tell

And really that's the extent of it all. Nuff said.

I enjoyed playing the Female hero in Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2, but in those games they were built with 2 very distinct and unique main characters. Those games were pretty great.

But if that's not the tale the creator wants to tell, then, that's it.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Funny enough, they had separate intros for Builders 2

I don't think it'd be that much of a stretch to do it next time. Maybe keep the pre-rendered stuff to a minimum.

"This doesn't work"
"Okay, can you explain why?"
"OMG! I can't deal with such aggression. I'm out!"

That's a lame cop out.

Dude this is intro cutscene for a non conventionnal DQ game. I'm talking about main DQ game and CGI cutscenes from all over the game till the end.

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
User banned (3 days): derogatory language, inflammatory generalizations
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you mean no Feminine Hero as in thats the only choice for the story or you just havent played a good amount of DQ fgames.

Yeah seems like there's a couple, I won't count builders title or 9 though, or mmo. These are the type where you create a character. More conventionnal DQ have cutscenes trought the game, it pretty much fix the mean for a Gender. I personnaly don't care if it's a boy or a gals. I would be like asking why there is not enough black people in Japanese game etc...

I mean let's answer Japanese are misogynist and racist. I would believe it. Girls in Japanese games are,most of the time, some kind of stupid sex toy and black dude always some weird retards with stereotype all over the place.

See, I'm french Canadian and in France, they do still believe we use winter dogs as main transport and clothed using fur. I'm talking about this level of stupidity.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly in this modern world, I less and less want inclusion for the sake of it, and more for it to come from proper collaboration and planning.

For a game like Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, which added a female playable character too, that was awesome. But in an RPG like this? I wouldn't just want to see a female, or Black, or Latino, or any change to the protag without some proper people to help flesh out the role. And for THAT, I wish we'd see more global consideration when designing these kind of works.

It's so much easier to communicate and share ideas now, than ever. Businesses shouldn't be making tone-deaf strategies and decisions when products are aimed out at the world anymore. I admit to liking some of the adherence to tradition (I don't want my Japanese made games tackling every western issue!) but I hope the success of things like this DQ can make the next one a bit more open to inspiration.

Personally, I feel like this game is a surprising return of form towards the kind of refined content we had in the lower-power 3D graphic days. So many well fleshed-out battle animations, so many unique actions that could have been otherwise shared between everyone (like everyone's unique dances when confused), sizable towns that feel like up-res'd 16 bit towns, rather than places with WIDE OPEN NOTHING for the sake of saying it's an open world, memorable shopkeeps and towns folk unique to each region, so many special animations for all the monsters... it's a high class effort. That's the kind of attention to detail I'd want to see in having the ability to personalize your MC. If they can't deliver it up to that standard, doing it as best they can with 1 appearance is fine.

But the thing is... nothing would have to change about the game if the Luminary was a black woman, beyond maybe the skin color of one of their parents.

This kind of concern about "tokenism" (even if you didn't use that word) is a generally misguided approach, but it's frankly outright ridiculous when applied to a game where the protagonist isn't even a character. The Luminary has no personality. They do not speak. You gain no sense of their half of any relationships- the game just decides Erik is their best friend with 0 depiction of any friendliness on their side.

You would have to change nothing to reflect that gender/race change because nothing about them as a character is really tied to their gender/race to begin with. Obviously it's a good idea in general to get some consultation/collaboration, to avoid making anything outright racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/etc., but in this case you could literally just swap things around and it would be exactly the same, without issue.

And, of course, sexism isn't a "Western issue" (though I understand you were probably discussing race there).

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Surely if they can manage it in the spin off, they can manage it in the main title with far more funding?

Sure, that should be mainstream by now. People are so obsessed with their Identity and eguallity, it has to come to video games to reflect this I suppose. Personnaly I never cared. In my head everyone is already egual, there's no need for justification. Inspiration can come from both and both gender has something unic to bring to the other, as important.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question but why do developers still use pre rendered cutscenes.
I know in the past they would always look better than in engine stuff but now that isn't the case.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, that should be mainstream by now. People are so obsessed with their Identity and eguallity, it has to come to video games to reflect this I suppose. Personnaly I never cared. In my head everyone is already egual, there's no need for justification. Inspiration can come from both and both gender has something unic to bring to the other, as important.

??

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It costs too much to make two protagonists, and if the developer has to choose one gender, boy is the safer choice.

eh

5es3XU4.gif
Yeah right, let' pretend DQ has the same budget of fucking Mass Effect.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
There are a few games in the series where you can select gender and there's really no reason why that option shouldn't be in all of them.

Monolith

Oct 25, 2017
I'll stick to my guns and say that if it's too difficult, just drop the male protagonist option for the next Dragon Quest game.

I'll have to dig up the quote later but based of what Horii said about how he writes Dragon Quest that won't happen. We'll either get both or just male. Luckily the spinoffs lately have given us the option of choice.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
There are a few games in the series where you can select gender and there's really no reason why that option shouldn't be in all of them.
They were on a roll recently. The previous two mainline games gave gender choices, as did some recent spin-offs (the two Heroes games and I assume both Builders games, rather than only the first which I played).

Monolith

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I'd love having both purely for the story differences I'm pretty sure that's the reason why. After IV the narrative of the games have started to become much much tighter and the Hero fits a very specific mold. The games V, VIII, and XI won't work unless the tweak the story and models quite a bit.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Jasper as a party member literally can't work.

Again, haven't played most of postgame still, don't want explicit spoilers for it, but- are all those scenes with Jasper in the Direct trailer, with him glowing white, taken from the original game? I played most of the game back in September so maybe I'm just forgetting them, or else they're yet to come for me- but it felt to me like they were teasing extra (postgame) stuff with him through those scenes.

I would expect that new story stuff would deal with him, even if he's not actually added to the party.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, haven't played most of postgame still, don't want explicit spoilers for it, but- are all those scenes with Jasper in the Direct trailer, with him glowing white, taken from the original game? I played most of the game back in September so maybe I'm just forgetting them, or else they're yet to come for me- but it felt to me like they were teasing extra (postgame) stuff with him through those scenes.

I would expect that new story stuff would deal with him, even if he's not actually added to the party.
I wouldn't be able to answer where specifically those scenes are from but iirc there was no new scene with Jasper in the trailer in the Direct

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Why can't the female hero wear pants?
Because they are designed for boys, as it isn't surprising for the female option to be the more popular option. Take the SRW games were in one game they gave the older male protagonist a little girl tag along because they knew otherwise people will ignore him, and go towards the girl protagonist. Only time this doesn't hold is if the game has romanceable partners, as they would rather date other girls.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No reason? III, IX and X all have character creator. In other games the character is pre-defined with background and relations. In DQXI the protagonist literally gets married to his childhood friend. Making a female protagonist will, at least, require a new childhood friend character. That's a lot of work. Also, please explain how "Dragon Quest V: Hand of Heavenly Bride" would work with female protagonist.

I do think a DQ with only female protagonist is totally doable though.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
But the thing is... nothing would have to change about the game if the Luminary was a black woman, beyond maybe the skin color of one of their parents.

This kind of concern about "tokenism" (even if you didn't use that word) is a generally misguided approach, but it's frankly outright ridiculous when applied to a game where the protagonist isn't even a character. The Luminary has no personality. They do not speak. You gain no sense of their half of any relationships- the game just decides Erik is their best friend with 0 depiction of any friendliness on their side.

You would have to change nothing to reflect that gender/race change because nothing about them as a character is really tied to their gender/race to begin with. Obviously it's a good idea in general to get some consultation/collaboration, to avoid making anything outright racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/etc., but in this case you could literally just swap things around and it would be exactly the same, without issue.

And, of course, sexism isn't a "Western issue" (though I understand you were probably discussing race there).

Depends on how you look at it. You have games like the Mass Effect series or earlier Morrowind where "self insert" player characters work pretty easily, because interaction is fairly loose, by design. Characters animate about the same, the CAC's use the same skeletons with the same animations and proportions, the words to reference them are about the same, NPC's avoid refereeing to you as much else other than title, etc.

In Dragon Quest XI, the Luminary may not speak, but would Erick and co. respond to the character the same, if they didn't fit a certain look and gender? The bathouse sequences would change, The expectations and reactions in your opening home town would change. The coliseum is full of character that call attention to each competitors gender and appearance, and what that makes them think of them.

Would a heavier character solve athletic issues in the same way? Would dressing up to sneak into an area, or pretend to be a certain someone in a competition, have the same effect? There are some prejudices in the game world that would probably arise if you could shift your character. The main cast could even have a case to develop different jealous streaks and the like. There's quite a few NPCs that refer to your presentation, and make comments based on it. The Luminary might not talk, but characters in the game are surely seeing a handsome brown haired man of a certain look and build when they speak with him.

I haven't beaten the game yet, but the game leaves the impression that they tried to go the extra mile with everything they DID include. So If they did add a character sex option here, to stand up to the standards the rest of the game sets, it'd have to do a bit more. It'd probably even have a few shifts in the skill trees.

Not to say it's impossible. I'm quite surprised they're making a 16 bit style version in the Switch release. I'd love to see the game refined to fit more options in. I just don't think it's as easy and plain as other do.

And as far as "Western Issues", I'm referring to the particular climate the US is at with certain things. We're at a boiling point with many issues right now, that just aren't hot buttons in the same way for others currently. They are issues sure, but not to the same news and social relevancy. It's hard to do something justice when one doesn't even understand why the asking party is so passionate in the first place.

One thing I love in animation, gaming, TV shows, etc, is when you can tell a passionate person or group, is expressing something they truly believe in and understand. That's when content is made with consideration for the audience and consumers. Forcing a creator or group to add or comment on something because it's socially hot, often leads to poor execution, and more trouble than triumph.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
No reason? III, IX and X all have character creator. In other games the character is pre-defined with background and relations. In DQXI the protagonist literally gets married to his childhood friend. Making a female protagonist will, at least, require a new childhood friend character. That's a lot of work. Also, please explain how "Dragon Quest V: Hand of Heavenly Bride" would work with female protagonist.

I do think a DQ with only female protagonist is totally doable though.
XIS allows multiple marriage options, including same sex even.

Monolith

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they said the male choice was going to be marriege. I recall them saying it would be something different. As for Dragon Quest V: Hand of Heavenly Bride not having a female protagonist that still make sense regardless of same sex marriage. The legendary hero has to be your kid, sure you can argue that the Heroine can adopt one but the blood of the Hero is through the Heavenly Bride.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that's really the thing- I'm not sure if we know if there are actual weddings/marriages involved, but regardless that's already a thing they decided isn't vital, so...

Plus it's not like... 1. Gemma's around so much that swapping her for a guy childhood friend instead would take a huge amount of work, or 2. they couldn't just, y'know, make the Luminary a lesbian.

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It really was a downgrade from dragon quest 9 where you can create your own character. And armor changed what the character wore.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, with all Japanese developed games, they only focus on one demographic, and that's the Japanese audience. Which currently is still quite male dominated. This is just the reality for any Japanese developed title currently, they don't care what the west thinks.

I don't really think that the audience would react as negatively as people think they would. I mean, publishers in the west thought the same thing, and that didn't turn out true either. Lara Croft, Aloy, Samus, Splatoon, etc. put female characters at the forefront and are wildly successful.

Well, okay, three of them are.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
This goes into the heart of the third acts story (what people mistakenly coin as postgame), so I advise you to not click if you haven't finished playing through the game in its entirety.

If you played through the entirety of the game, you'll see that the Serenica becomes a luminary as well in order to save Erdrick from getting killed. So they aren't privy on keeping the luminary a man.

As for the why does the mc have to be a boy, there's no good reason. It's just something they decided and rolled with.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I don't really think that the audience would react as negatively as people think they would. I mean, publishers in the west thought the same thing, and that didn't turn out true either. Lara Croft, Aloy, Samus, Splatoon, etc. put female characters at the forefront and are wildly successful.

Well, okay, three of them are.
And I get that but the very bottom line here is they do not listen to us. Ever.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
The Luminary does not have to be a Boy in DQ11, but he is, and its pretty clear they are not gonna expend the effort to give people the option to be a girl.

The Protag in DQ12 could be a boy, a girl or maybe once again a half dragon.
Only Horii knows, and probably only Horii decides.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

Are you referring to this scene? If so, that is not teasing anything, that is the armor he wears.

Spoiler for people who have yet to beat act 2
When you kill him, he was already too far gone to be saved, that whole scene was rather emotional for Hendrik to fell his best friend and for Jasper to be at peace finally. Even after going back in time, he was already changed and would not be able to be saved

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017