• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
scalding take: all Mario games control great

Like, that's the whole point of the series. That's its thing. They're purely fun to play.

Sure some control differently but they're all great in their own way.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
giphy.gif

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Y'know, I actually came into this thread expecting to agree. I know there's nothing objectively wrong with them, but I've never really clicked with SMW's physics the same way I have for the other Mario games.

Then I read the OP and realized you're actually talking about Mario Maker 2, so now I'm just baffled.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario World's controls were probably the best thing about that game. It certainly wasn't its difficulty or graphics.
I'd like to think it's more than nostalgia, but I think SMW's graphics are charming in a "new to this resolution" sort of way. It's not by any means gorgeous pixel art by today's standards but it has a nice bubbly, toony style that's instantly recognizable.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
hillarious that op was literally fooled into thinking they had better control due to having more advanced graphics

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
You got me in here with your absolutely spicy title, OP. But, yes, if you're referring to it in Super Mario Maker, the physics are literally the same as New Super Mario Bros. U. Which is disappointing because actual Mario world feels so good to control, and I don't particularly like the lack of air control in other Mario platformers.

Also, Mario World has the best art in a 2D Mario platformer except Yoshi's Island.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to think it's more than nostalgia, but I think SMW's graphics are charming in a "new to this resolution" sort of way. It's not by any means gorgeous pixel art by today's standards but it has a nice bubbly, toony style that's instantly recognizable.
Mario World doesn't even really have a resolution the NES couldn't do, it's entirely about things like color palette and sprite limitations.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I remember being put off by the physics of Mario Maker 1 as I could tell that it wasn't the same as SMW. The new music is horrible for the MM series. I can't believe what I'm hearing at times.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The skins in Super Mario Maker 1 and 2 are cosmetic, and the physics are actually taken from NSMB. OP is experiencing a placebo effect.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah in SMM2 they all have the same controls

The only issue I have with SMW in terms of controls is kicking shells up, and even that's only frustrating when it expects pin-point accuracy which is only a thing with certain SMM levels.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The fact that so many people are unable to tell that physics are the same across all the main styles leads me to think that the aesthetic colors the perception of actual substance.

Really, all Nintendo needs to do for 2D mario is to apply a new coat of paint with a couple of new moves and you will have people talking about how much better the physics are.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've actually been in discussions with friends of late about how terrible physics, not having weight is, in so many other lovely platformers from 8 bit computers, consoles, 16 bit computers like Amiga and Atari ST, Atari Jaguar, and yes newer systems where somebody could make a game that looked pretty but felt terrible.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Really, all Nintendo needs to do for 2D mario is to apply a new coat of paint with a couple of new moves and you will have people talking about how much better the physics are.
Animation plays hugely into physics.

I sound like a broken record making this point, but Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap on Master System had bad slippy physics, which was fixed by the remake despite it keeping the exact same physics. How? By adding appropriate animation 'tells' that make more sense of the physics for the player. The interaction between animation and control is to key for it to feel right.

Generally Mario games have been at the top of the game for their eras for matching animation and control, but applying one set of physics across multiple eras of art/animation could create some dissonance for players.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The irony with this is that SMW's actual physics are probably the least floaty physics in any 2D Mario game.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
The physics in Super Mario World are the least slippery out of all of them, I believe. Mario has a lot of traction in that game. I remember a comparison shown where it was actually Super Mario Bros. 3 having the least amount of traction, followed by New.

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
OP, do not feel bad about the comments. I made a thread about this last week and the response was similar:

Most people seem to love the physics, but there are others feeling just like you. However, it seems that all game styles in SMM2 have the same physics! Have a nice day, OP! :)
You're both passing judgement primarily based on Mario Maker 2 which I do not feel delivers the same quality of control and accuracy as the original games.

Super Mario World itself offers some of the most precise and engaging controls and physics in any platform game ever made, I'd say.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
You're both passing judgement primarily based on Mario Maker 2 which I do not feel delivers the same quality of control and accuracy as the original games.

Super Mario World itself offers some of the most precise and engaging controls and physics in any platform game ever made, I'd say.

Yeah, I have to admit my thread was biased by playing SMM2. It has been a long time since I played the older Mario 2D games. Nintendo really should get those SNES classics on the Switch pronto!

Y'know, I actually came into this thread expecting to agree. I know there's nothing objectively wrong with them, but I've never really clicked with SMW's physics the same way I have for the other Mario games.

Then I read the OP and realized you're actually talking about Mario Maker 2, so now I'm just baffled.
I'm in the same boat. I loved Super Mario Land 2 to death and Yoshi's Island will forever be one of my most favourites. But when I tried Super Mario World a few years back, I just couldn't handle it. I even switched to Yoshi's Island, to compare them directly, and it feels so much better.

Can't say how it works in Mario Maker though.

Oct 27, 2017
It feels different from original SMW, which controlled much better than what we have in SMM2. They use the NSMB physics -the ones I like the least- for all styles, except 3d world i guess