• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
The are some really weird takes already in this thread...

I would expect until the PS5 announcement before you bring this concern, I mean you could have said this a long time ago but right now there's not much of a point until the PS5, I don't think they would commit to it on PS4 this late in the gen.

Oct 31, 2017
And Sony isn't with Gran Turismo, Uncharted, God of War etc?

Correct, as the sheer amount of new IPs and successful new IPs are on another level with Sony. Mario, Donkey Kong, etc. are going to be four decades old in the 2020s. God of War is 13 years old, Uncharted just began last gen. Infamous began last gen. LittleBigPlanet, Resistance, just began last gen. Guerrilla put a hold on Killzone to do Horizon. Media Molecule stopped making LBP for now to do Tearaway and Dreams. Sucker Punch did Sly Cooper, then Infamous, and now is doing Ghosts of Tsushima. The Last of Us was a successful new IP that they created the last year of last gen.

They're constantly churning out numerous new IPs every gen. Most of Nintendo's big games are Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Kirby/Yoshi/Pokemon and different kinds of games under those names. And there's nothing wrong with it as they're mostly high quality and they like to experiment within their IPs (Breath of the Wild feels a lot different than Ocarina of Time, Super Mario World was far different than Mario 64). I think people forget how old many of Nintendo's IPs are; stuff like Donkey Kong are older than many of the posters here.

I feel this might be different than what the OP is talking about, but whatev.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Pick and chose is what they do. I think they're aware of their legacy and use things over longer periods of time. Eyes are on the here and now plus what's to come though. Which is perfect for me.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing they only make a fraction of their revenue off those ports and now this PS1 thing than they do from new PS4 consoles, accessories and exclusive game sales. Financially it all makes sense.

I also thought PSABR was an ok game that would have have been better if 3rd parties would have been willing to license out their characters. Lara Croft, Cloud and other popular 3rd party characters not being on there wasn't really their fault. I imagine they wanted a shit ton of money or they just didn't want to do it at all. PS1 and PS2 being so reliant on 3rd parties bit them on their ass.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Do people even read the OP?

Every company does it for the money obviously, but Sony just does it on that field when other companies succeed at it first, and don't put much care in it (again, most of the time) because they don't think it'll be worth it.
If they did think that, they'd at least try to lead the way on that side.

Saying "yeah but they released a remake last time" isn't a counter-argument at all either.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
PS4 should have BC, but I don't think they don't respect their legacy. Since that statement we had classic games announcements and releases on PS4.

They are also putting classics on PS Now, just this month we had Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland, LocoRoco and Destroy All Humans 1 and 2.

About Nintendo, I would love if we had a (legal) way to play their games on Switch (not only the 20 NES games).

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Every company does it for the money obviously, but Sony just does it on that field when other companies succeed at it first, and don't put much care in it (again, most of the time) because they don't think it'll be worth it.

Saying "yeah but they released a remake last time" isn't a counter-argument at all either.
Yup. Plus when Sony does it, I don't think they actually put in the effort a lot of times. Look at PS Classic, or PSASBR.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Probably
170711021143574301.png

I really think this is going to change next generation. RDR2 is a case study in why console makers are going to need to start broadening their scope off of new games - that game took 8 years to make, 3000 people and (I'm spitballing without a real figure) probably around 600-700 million. It will probably also be rockstar's only new major game this generation (I'd love to be wrong). Given that will only progress next generation, console makers need other revenue streams. It's about marketing - if you make older generations playability a focus and highlight of your digital store experience and TV/print/online marketing strategy, people will pay for it and play it and this graph will look differently. The mini console surge we're seeing is proof positive of the increasing viability of the retro market, it's just completely the wrong way to do it.

Despite all of MS' effort, I don't think a lot of people actually know how amazing XBO BC is (I say this as someone without an XBO who is hugely jealous of the offerings there).

It's also all hugely crucial from a game preservation perspective, but I've basically fucking given up asking companies to care about that.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe because their relevant nostalgia content is not owned by themselves (Crash, Spyro), it wasn't exclusive to the brand in the first place (Tomb Raider, Symphony of the Night) and/or is amidst license/IP issues (Tony Hawk, Gran Turismo)

Basically, they can't cash-grab it as easily :v

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

How isn't it? The thread title is "Why does Sony seemingly not respect its own legacy and history?" Shadow of the Colossus, an excellent remake of a niche game that many people missed, is a textbook example of respecting your own legacy and history.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind Sony's focus on the now, as such approach has yielded many modern classic games. I don't think there's any sort of "disrespect" at work here, either.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony respects their legacy.

They just don't respect their customers and want you to buy the same iso dump or low effort remake or enhanced port every 6 years

Anarki

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't see anything wrong with them using pcsx since they don't have any other ARM gaming devices they support (and Vita uses PSP hardware for emulator I think), so no point in making their own emulator they can't use anywhere else unlike Nintendo where their main platform is using same architecture as their classic consoles so they can (and do) reuse it

Oct 31, 2017
However, I'm not surprised to see the OP's take as the quality I'm reading about the PS Classic is kind of surprising. I think it's less about legacy and more about Sony being a successful tech company that sometimes gets tech strangely wrong (see: PS2, which had a great library, but good Lord, was the original console a POS).

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

Well, they did BC before and I suppose metrics told them that nobody cared. People seem to want this now irregardless if they use it or not. I want it.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad I'm buying the Remakes and not having to play those games at 240p like Crash or Spyro and next Medieval.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
The slapdash handling of the PlayStation Classic. Everything about the device, from the lineup of games, to the emulation (using open source PCSX, really?), to the emulation quality (50Hz in Europe...), to even the controllers on offer (non-DualShock ones) screams like it was hastily put together at the last minute to try and capitalize on the "Classic" console trend

Again what is wrong with relying on open source projects second time you refer to it , I asked you what was wrong with that and again here you do it . So if you do have a problem with it please do explain here ...

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Considering Sony's attitude towards their own classic titles, I have no idea what to expect if PS5 has full BC, with respect to the quality of emulation.

I'd almost prefer it if they revisited them one at a time and go for the remake/remaster approach.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite all of MS' effort, I don't think a lot of people actually know how amazing XBO BC is (I say this as someone without an XBO who is hugely jealous of the offerings there).
I don't think people care as much as some think, I think what Microsoft is doing with backwards compatibility is exactly what Sony should do but I think the reason Sony hasn't cared about it since the ps3 is that they didn't see the value in continuing because the interest wasn't there but now with digital being a big motivator in bringing old libraries, I am hoping for the PS5, they step it up again.

I'm not discussing their remakes, ffs. Why is this hard to understand?
I am discussing their broader approach to how they treat the legacy and history of their brand.
The fact that you are ignoring the remakes hurts your topic than because it is part of how they treat their legacy and brand.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
PSASBR could've been so much more, especially today. God I want one now so bad.

I fail to see what's wrong with this statement. He's completely right. Nobody gives a shit about PS 1 and PS2 games anymore.
This is disheartening, and maybe even inaccurate. I just played the first three MGS games on their original systems for the first time this year and all 3 are some of my favorite games of all time now. Anecdotal I know, but I'm sure there are others like me eager to try out what they missed

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again what is wrong with relying on open source projects second time you refer to it , I asked you what was wrong with that and again here you do it . So if you do have a problem with it please do explain here ...
Where did you ask me this before? This is the first time I have referenced this.
There is nothing "wrong" with it (though selling something that is open source to me is scummy), it just shows they can't be bothered to put in the effort to create an accurate emulator for their own consoles themselves.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing worth noting is that a majority of the games that made the PS1/2 such notable consoles aren't necessarily first party games. They're by third parties like Capcom, Square, Konami etc. The licensing for such titles is likely complicated, which is an advantage Nintendo have over others. As for BC, it's notorious how convoluted the cell architecture is, so PS3 BC is likely borderline impossible for PS4. For older systems, I presume the licensing is challenging.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
They're the same as any company – not more, not less.

I mean, nobody's perfect.

For example, remember VC on Wii U?
J36GgxG.png

or Halo MCC on Xbox?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It was the primary reason for me to go back to Xbox early this year. I feel very confident that I will be able to play the majority of my Xbox content on the next console. It's a good feeling to have and I love to have the library in one place. That being said, it's not crucial for the mass market at all. It's good to have different approaches, but I think Sony should do it right or shouldn't do it. PS2 Classics and Retro PS1 consoles just seem like half-baked efforts. I do think Nintendo has more to gain from treating its classics better than Sony though, as most iconic titles would be first party there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You and 3 other people on resetera are not a relevant number sorry. It's pretty obvious when you look at thinks like PS2 and XBox classic that the demand for those games is extremely limited.
Xbox's backward compatibility is proven to be extremely popular, even registering results on the NPD Charts.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Yup. Plus when Sony does it, I don't think they actually put in the effort a lot of times. Look at PS Classic, or PSASBR.
PSASBR is always brought up, but I think they did the best they could with their IPs. It was honestly an enjoyable game that simply suffered from the lack of first party characters Sony could get for it. The IPs that people associated with the PS1 simply weren't theirs to use and they would have had to spend a good amount of money to license them out. I mean, when I think PS1, I think:

Lara Croft - Eidos
Crash Bandicoot - Activision
Spyro - Activision
Cloud - Square Enix
Alucard - Konami
Solid Snake - Konami
Chris / Jill / Claire / Leon - Capcom
Raziel / Kain - Eidos

Their first party game just wasn't strong back then. It's gotten so much better for their own internal IPs now that they might be able to fill out a roster now.

I do agree that the menus were shit, but I thought the overall game was great fun that just suffered from the roster.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
They're the same as any company – not more, not less.

I mean, nobody perfect.

For example, remember VC on Wii U?
J36GgxG.png

or Halo MCC on Xbox?

This is noteworthy.

Microsoft has made the largest strides lately, which is nice, but I also appreciate things like the MediEvil and Shadow of the Colossus remakes.

I miss PlayStation Classics on PSN and Virtual Console.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I'm super salty that they're not including King's Field, but we've all got opinions and desires, right?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"no one wants it"
or
"they just want to sell remasters"

It has to be like this every time?