• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think there are double standards for certain Sony games design choices opposed to other devs?

• Of course not, you freaking loser.

Votes: 755 57.1%
  • Yep, I've noticed it too

Votes: 567 42.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a not an ubisoft defense thread, and I dont enjoy any of their franchises other than Assassin's Creed.
I am playing Assassins Creed Odyssee after playing Ghost of Tsushima. It's like going from a smartphone to a flip phone in how outdated it is in open world systems. Odyssee is inferior in every single category.

Pedestrian AI is completely nonsensical. Why are they diving out of the way when you're on your horse just slowly making your way around? It looks hilarious and dumb at the same time as they're diving for cover when horse is not even going fast. Even when you have the horse on autopilot and the AI is taking it through towns. Horse also runs over geese and birds. Complete immersion break for me.

Pedestrians feel weightless and shallow. No depth to them. It feels they are made out of paper.

Mercenary AI is so bad as well. Just waiting for you to finish a main story cutscene. Once cutscene is over, they attack you even if you're in a main character's home.

Collecting crap is completely useless for upgrading your gear because you get a better drop two levels later. And the over abundance of loot is hard to manage.

Combat in AC Odyssee sucks so much compared to Ghost. You fight Spearman, shieldman, heavy and light soldiers exactly the same way whereas in Ghost you have to change stance against who you're fighting.

The story is completely nonsensical and full of plot holes. The Olympic event is such a letdown where you fight 3 dudes and that's it. The crowd isn't even cheering and there's like only 20 people in the stands. How hard is it to create a cool Olympic crowd and sounds of real cheers and hooting and hollering? There's so many instances like these where story segments are half baked.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Aren't the review scores pretty comparable for these games and the AC games? Like typically low to mid 80s on MC? TLOU2 and GoW reviewed better than that, but they aren't Ubisoft style open world games. I guess I don't see the double standard. Ubisoft more or less established this formula, so they take the brunt of the criticism for its more obnoxious traits, but Sony's offerings within that framework have received their fair share of complaints and eye rolls, as well.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Depends on the game.
GOW and Spider-Man are some of the greatest games ever created imo.
On the other hand, stuff like TLoU, Horizon, Ghost, etc. always just seemed like they were following an established formula and weren't really that exciting or new

May 14, 2021
I think we played different Horizon games, cause the Melee in Horizon wasn't fun or even good. It was basically Ratchet and Clank Tier in that it's there and it's a thing you can do, but that's it. The melee Combat, particularly against humans, was like the worst part.
I'd say the awful animation system and inability to scale small distances without the need for preplaced handholds were bigger problems.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Because ubisoft's games are filled with bloat. It's that simple. Content for the sake of content.

Sony's games are not filled with bloat. There is side content sure but its not excessive. I couldn't finish Valhalla due to the amount of bloat the game had. I easilly finished horizon/spiderman/miles morales ect.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Damn. Some of y'all really in your feelings lately. These games were def criticized for "Ubisoft" open world design on this forum, and honestly, the only time I see that criticism is on era or in other irrelevant enthusiast bubbles.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay.

It's fun being a Samurai in Ghost. The swordplay is really kinetic and responsive. Spider-Man has the best traversal system I've ever played and the combat is fun and improvisational. Horizon is just damn beautiful and has the best bow and arrow gameplay I've ever played.

Nobody gives a flying fuck how many side quests there are when the gameplay is rock solid. If anything, people want more.

Ubisoft's gameplay is just gimmicky. The last time I felt like their gameplay was fun was back in AC Unity. The parkour was dope. Plus, their open worlds are like 50x bigger than most. Have you seen Odyssey's map? Shit is ridiculous. Can't help but feel repetitive after clearing all that.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
We constantly have threads calling these games out for having derivative open world designs. While i love them i agree its generally the worst lot part of some of them.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
from my experience people are liking the games despite some certain/weak open world elements.

i personally didn't see People praising Horizon for its Open World Design, but more for the Combat and the Machines, the Story and Art Style. I think everyone would agree that the Sequel needs to improve the Open World itself.

Same goes to Tsushima that is a beautiful audiovisual Experience with great Combat and not beeing bloated like Assassins Creed.

Spider-Man has fantastic Swinging Mechanics making the traversal itself a fun Gameplay Experience, alongside the great Spider-Man Story and Combat.

Days Gone was praised by those who like for the Horde Mechanics and Fight

May 31, 2021
Gameplay.

It's fun being a Samurai in Ghost. The swordplay is really kinetic and responsive. Spider-Man has the best traversal system I've ever played and the combat is fun and improvisational. Horizon is just damn beautiful and has the best bow and arrow gameplay I've ever played.

Nobody gives a flying fuck how many side quests there are when the gameplay is rock solid. If anything, people want more.

Ubisoft's gameplay is just gimmicky. The last time I felt like their gameplay was fun was back in AC Unity. The parkour was dope. Plus, their open worlds are like 50x bigger than most. Have you seen Odyssey's map? Shit is ridiculous. Can't help but feel repetitive after clearing all that.

Facts.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But they never get continuously slammed like ubisoft. A few months back there were 3 separate posts about AC: Odyssey's excessive bloat made within like 6 months of each other. How often does someone complain about Horizon bloat? It doesn't happen. GoT is another example.

As a matter of fact, there was a recent thread about GoT vs AC with most praising GoT while trashing AC:Odyssey and valhalla.
The bloat in Odyssey is insane, I don't think I've ever played a game with that much filler in my life. It has one of the biggest open world maps and it's filled with busy work. Horizon have some uninteresting filler like a lot of other open world have, but it's nothing compared to Odyssey. I haven't played Valhalla so I don't know how that stack up.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Also yall have to quit lumping all the Ubisoft games toguether in these discussions.

Watchdog legions got slammed for having a god awful story, and it's main gimmick not really having much of an impact.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint got shreaded for trying to force Division like loot, on top of a bad narrative, and plenty of bugs.

The Division 2 actually reviewed fairly well (certainly better than Days fucking Gone)

Far Cry lives or dies by it's story, and how memorable it's setting and Villain are.

Too much bloat is specifically atributed to Assassin's Creed's recent games.

Riders Republic is getting a ton of positive feedback

Wildly different receptions, wildly different issues.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I think a lot of the criticism is misplaced, when people complain about "bloat" and "open world tropes", in reality they just don't like the gameplay/story/aesthetic. Truth is that most open world games are repetative as fuck, but if you enjoy it the "loop" then you will be happy to play through it.

I played Valhalla for 101 hours and I could easily go back for more. I love the combat, the lore, the setting, the side activities.
I was bored out of my mind after 20 hours of Ghost of Tsushima. Mind numbingly boring stealth with a good combat system, but I didn't care for the stance switching. I also hated not having a compass and having to constantly swipe the controller to see directions.

myth

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 15, 2021
Never bought these 4 and probably wont in the near future. The gameplay looks so stale in Horizon, to me it feels like a prettier AC game.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Ubisoft style open world games are often designed as live service games with free/paid updates intended to make you play for a long period of time (months to even years) while from what I've seen Sony first party games are more straight forward and streamlined.

I'm personally not the biggest of open world games and I try to pick and choose the games using such a framework because I do feel like I'd get bored easily at some point (for example I never bothered finishing GTA V single player).

LordZap

Oct 27, 2017
Assassins creed games outstay their welcome. I loved Valhalla at first, but I had enough about half way through. It isn't a 'Sony can do no wrong' it's that Ubisoft doesn't get it right.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I saw someone praising Spider-man while dismissing the Arkham games - which is weird as hell to me as I remember playing Spider-man and being rather surprised at just how similar it was to them (which isn't a bad thing at all).
They aren't that similar IMHO. Batman games are stealth focused and Metroidvania while Spiderman is a lot more action oriented. The Mordor games are a more fitting comparison to Spiderman.

Oct 27, 2017
literally every game you listed are criticized for being kinda padded ubisoft-like open games

it's just that the stories and graphics make up for them

and days gone gets so much shit here lmao. all of it deserved imo
This is what I think, Sony open world games are no different from the likes of Ubi. Maps filled to the brim with icons leading to meaningless filler missions.
I still enjoyed Spiderman and Miles Morales to a degree, but they fee kind of hollow at their core.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Because they have tighter gameplay, more interesting stories, and more cohesive presentation.

I've played many of the AC games, and while there is a lot of quality in terms of the world design and visual side, there is a lack of...vibrancy? Soul? They seem designed by commitee. I think Valhalla did some things right, but the bloat was just too strong.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I'd say the awful animation system and inability to scale small distances without the need for preplaced handholds were bigger problems.

Oh, I didn't like those either, but my core takeaway from that particular comment (and for me personally) was the melee combat. I play jrpgs so the inability to scale small ledges isn't as big an immediate concern and the animation system sort of ties into the annoying melee too anyway.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Most of Sony's open world games do the same things, just not to excess like Ubi's games. I'm replaying Horizon right now and there's 6 bandit camps. In Far Cry it's 50+

Sony's games also tend to have much better combat/core gameplay than comparable open world games making them not get old as fast. Combine all that with strong writing, art, and characterization which is lacking from games that focus purely on scale and near endless content and they stand a cut above the games that they clearly take influence from.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
dALf6xC.png

People give Sony shit about open world schtick all the time.

We had multiple threads dumping on Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima being "too Ubisoft" in the last 2 weeks.

The thesis of this thread is bogus.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Most of Sony's games don't do the same things to excess like Ubi's games. I'm replaying Horizon right now and there's 6 bandit camps. In Far Cry it's 50+

Sony's games also tend to have much better combat/core gameplay than comparable open world games making them not get old as fast.

Which ironically makes me wish they'd have far more "bandit camp"(s) in their games.

Best part of Ghosts of Tsushima were clearing camps/bases..

Status
Not open for further replies.