• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
You're actually conflating something that the author/creator intends as a surprise with something directly exposed by them in the story?

Good point. So if I wanted to discuss the denouement of Hamlet, that wouldn't be okay? I mean we're talking about material that is routinely discussed by schoolchildren as part of their English education.

If somebody were to suggest we should put spoiler tags on "Goodnight, sweet prince/And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!" or even "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" I'd say that was barking mad. You're not saying this, I presume?

Last edited:

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
I kinda feel like the whole "spoiler alert" thing has been growing massively for the last ten years. I don't remember this was such a huge problem in the past. I am not sure why though and I see two options here:
  • The internet and social media in particular are bigger than ever and it is very hard to avoid spoilers.
  • It's just a popular topic to whine about and if people really wanted to avoid spoilers they would.
I've never come across a spoiler that I didn't want to see (just skip whenever you feel like it's going to spoil anything). But maybe that's just me.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Hey guys, please be considerate and not spoil obscure plot points in topic titles or in random topics"

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ZEITGEIST!! ARE YOU SERIOUSLY TRYING TO TELL ME WE CAN'T TALK ABOUT ANYTHING EVER????? CLICK SPOILER BUTTONS IS A """"""""""""""""""MESS""""""""""""""""

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you are truly worried about all spoilers across all time then I want to highlight a specific paragraph from the OP about personal responsibility:

Of course, the person not wanting to be spoiled has to have some common sense as well. Don't click into an OT thread for an old game, for example.

When something super popular comes out and I suspect I could inadvertently stumble on a spoiler that I care about (actual plot) then I make a point of seeing or reading the thing sooner rather than later. I just assume that's on me. I avoid all social media after a GoT episode comes out for example, until I see it.

Why? Because I know I can't change the world to suit my media consumption and timing.

Avengers Civil War spoiler:
Made you look

Limit

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The OP expresses the sentiments of a true egomaniac. Utter nonsense. The world doesn't revolve around your personal life experiences. If you are this sensitive then don't go to anything game related on the internet. Also make sure to wear ear plugs when you are walking around outside, lest you accidentally overhear a conversation and get spoiled about something.

Your diatribe holds no merit.

elcoldtown

Jan 7, 2019
Vilnius, Lithuania
Spoilers don't spoil anything. To be honest I'm ok with posting them for new movies too
Agreed. Also, there are very few things that are spoiled by the finale reveal, with an exception of detectives, probably, and content of similar nature, where the whole point of the story is to wait for an unexpected finale. There is more to films, movies and books than just one final or climatic scene. Experiencing these scenes for yourself is what makes them so precious.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
How do you define spoiler? Wasn't there a whole hullabaloo when someone mentioned that
Thanos
was in Infinity war? I've seen people get bent out of shape about discussing official trailers in the official trailer thread.

Oct 28, 2017
It's really not difficult to the cross tags, folks.
Nor the
spoiler tags
Not everybody is a 40+ year old omnilingual encyclopedia.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Hey guys, please be considerate and not spoil obscure plot points in topic titles or in random topics"

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ZEITGEIST!! ARE YOU SERIOUSLY TRYING TO TELL ME WE CAN'T TALK ABOUT ANYTHING EVER????? CLICK SPOILER BUTTONS IS A """"""""""""""""""MESS""""""""""""""""
No, I don't really care if you're spoiled or not spoiled.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to create a super villain called The Spoiler whose only power is to ruin things for people by spoiling the best parts of their favorite pieces of media for them. Oh Superman is about to kick his ass in the sun? Well he spoils the end of Game of Thrones for him!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The OP expresses the sentiments of a true egomaniac. Utter nonsense. The world doesn't revolve around your personal life experiences. If you are this sensitive then don't go to anything game related on the internet. Also make sure to wear ear plugs when you are walking around outside, lest you accidentally overhear a conversation and get spoiled about something.

Your diatribe holds no merit.

Lmao, diatribe. Was it big word day in school today?

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ I never knew the vitriol spoilers created was on this scale...

Like sure don't go round spoiling things for the sake of spoiling things, it's a classic dick move.

But also spoilers arn't that bad, nothing worth being too upset over.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

The topic that spawned this thread is far from obscure or some kind of big reveal.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason "spoiler alert" has become a pervasive running joke over the last decade.

SPOILER alert: it isn't because people think spoiler alerts are awesome.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
I don't/try to spoil and understand the point of spoilers for others.

But asking someone not to spoil something which has been in public circulation for multiple years, evolving and changing is not being considerate of them who has taken the time to experience it on release no? Just so you can experience it as they did 10 years ago.

There are ways to avoid current and active spoilers on the site but if you want to avoid them, you have to stop believing the world stops because you want it to.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait you realize it's people who are so obsessed with spoilers who are expecting the rest of society to alter their behaviour for them and only them right?

Protip: The spoiler that started this title, doesn't affect me at all. I played Majora's Mask at release, in 2000. I'm asking you to alter your behavior for other people who haven't enjoyed the game yet. Because "please don't be a dick and show a little courtesy" isn't a huge request like you make it out to be. That's why it's called "courtesy" -- it's asking someone else to put a little more effort to avoid actively ruining something for someone else.

You look like an enormous hypocrite ITT with your attitude about fuck extending any effort. Your shit about spoiler texts being "a mess" is laughable. You can go ahead and click all the spoiler tabs before you read, and the post will read just like normal. People who want to avoid spoilers in topic titles or out in random topics literally have no options, otherwise those people would use them.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
At some point the burden shifts for being responsibility of the people who have experienced the media to not spoil it. To it being the responsibility of the person who doesn't want to be spoiled to get off their asses and go experience the media.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Krejlooc starting with his triple postings. Start the spoilers and fire!

Sorry Krejlooc, of course I will be considerate of others for new media, but I won't always think about creating threads about old stuff and what I can mention in the thread title and what is a spoiler for other people. It won't always work, but I will try to put effort into that.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The ending was spoiled in this thread some times lol
Tiny Toons spoiled Citizen Kane. After a certain point a person has to accept that media becomes absorbed into the greater culture, and points regarding it are all fair game for open discussion.

I'd say anyone who hasn't seen Game of Thrones but plans to should get in on that now before the Red Wedding just becomes a reference everyone casually drops, if it hasn't already reached that level.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
"This game/movie is 20 years old! Stop being a spoilerphobe!"

- The person may have only just discovered the movie/game in question
- The person may not have had the means to play / watch the item in question
- The person may literally be younger than the product - how old the product is is irrelevant to them
- The person may have chosen not to consume a product as it was not to their taste (genre), but then their tastes changed over time and they became interested

I, for example, have never played Halo outside of a few levels. If I started tomorrow and then there was a thread with spoilers all over the title, of course I would be annoyed and I would have every right to be. It being old means nothing.

Being considerate is not hard. Like it's really not.

Of course, the person not wanting to be spoiled has to have some common sense as well. Don't click into an OT thread for an old game, for example.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Wait you realize it's people who are so obsessed with spoilers who are expecting the rest of society to alter their behaviour for them and only them right?

You do realise that everyone can have something spoilt for them right? It's not "for them and only them", it's for everyone. It's common decency, it's "let's be respectful of one another" and all that. Not using spoiler warnings and tags is basically "I got mine so you can get fucked".

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
People have been asking others not to spoil shit for them since, bare-ass minimum, the Crying Game in 1993 which ran an entire ad campaign based around not spoiling stuff. That's neat that you don't remember the past. That doesn't refute anything, though.
The same is true for Psycho. Who doesn't know about Norman Bates and his "mother" in that movie now? Hell, pre-baked knowledge of the twist in the film was the entire basis of getting for people to watch Bates Motel.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
No, I'm not going to add spoilers for old media. Ridiculous. How the fuck do I know someone entering a specific thread never saw said movie or played a specific game? I'm not going to spoiler every single time in case someone out there may not have gotten into the media. I will discuss freely wherever the game/movie is brought up.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel like the whole "spoiler alert" thing has been growing massively for the last ten years. I don't remember this was such a huge problem in the past. I am not sure why though and I see two options here:
  • The internet and social media in particular are bigger than ever and it is very hard to avoid spoilers.
  • It's just a popular topic to whine about and if people really wanted to avoid spoilers they would.
I've never come across a spoiler that I didn't want to see (just skip whenever you feel like it's going to spoil anything). But maybe that's just me.

I also think it's part of the internet's obsession with plot and inablity to read media as anything else than a list of checkpoints.

You should probably spoiler tag that for people who haven't seen Apocalypse Now.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
There are two endings with different states according to what you've completed in the game. You will see some stuff or won't see it like the love story etc.

I don't consider any of that a "different" ending. Its just a variation of one ending because they all have the same core beats.

Link saves Termina, gives the mask to the Happy Mask guy and goes back to Hyrule in every version.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
but wasn't its whole thread created because someone put a spoiler for Majora's mask , the rules didn't stop that did?

Said topic got locked down while the title was changed and most of the posts wiped from it. Mods can't stop people from posting things ahead of time but the stance is put a modicum of care regarding spoilers and topic titles.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The tone of this topic seems very unproductive and is more about people venting their frustrations than actual conversation. This thread is closed to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.