• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Say what you will about American sports, including MLS. But there isn't the same behavior of violence that is associated with soccer/football hooligans. Even at the worst rivalry games (Yankees red socks) you don't see the kind of conflict that can erupt from a soccer/football match. What's the source of this behavior?

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
I went to a Mets/Phillies home opener in Philly one time and saw more fights than I've ever seen in my life.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The first origins of the hooliganism in football / soccer dates back to the 14th century. So the phenomenon is way older than the US or the american sport habits.

While I don't mind Ultras (hardcore supporters, pyro) I do definately dislike Hools but it seems that many Clubs have a mix of those two groups in their fanbases.

Oct 28, 2017
giphy4ejo1.gif

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
A lot of the violence is street gangs and skin head related.

I know Ajax fans used to have knife fights on the highway outside Amsterdam so the team banned the whole section and then they just moved one section over.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Say what you will about American sports, including MLS. But there isn't the same behavior of violence that is associated with soccer/football hooligans. Even at the worst rivalry games (Yankees red socks) you don't see the kind of conflict that can erupt from a soccer/football match. What's the source of this behavior?

There's acres of sociology about this question. Maybe start on Wikipedia and go from there? This should start you off:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Is it a big problem these days? There have been big incidents like English and Russian fans at Euro 2016, true, but I don't recall hearing much in the news since then. Not saying it doesn't happen, it just seems to be a shadow of what it was in the 80's.

Bear in mind there are vastly more soccer matches going on around the world each week than NFL or MLB games.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Yes hooliganism exists, but naturally you've got a massive sample size to draw from when the sport is played everywhere from Tajikistan, the USA, to the Faroe Islands.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Ticket prices are cheap, football hasn't been as gentrified in some places yet as most other sports have. When it does get there, the higher you go in leagues and the more money is involved, fan culture dies and hooliganism which is a tiny part of that culture dies first.