• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you buy a Quake collection?

• Yes

Votes: 305 59.1%
  • No

Votes: 110 21.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 79 15.3%
  • Idk

Votes: 21 4.1%

• Total voters

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
give me a new Quake that's based on 1 instead of 2 or 4.

Either a reboot or a sequel, but I want more dark fantasy/gothic/eldritch horror shit.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quake 3 is one of my most played games (it was the only thing available on linux for the longest time), but I couldn't get into Quake Champions. I remember sitting in matchmaking for like 10+ minutes at a time.

They need to get rid of matchmaking.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Convincing yourself pads are good enough does not change the actual reality
I play just about everything on PC and use keyboard & mouse in nearly every game where possible - to the point that it feels like I'm the only person complaining about poor mouse implementations in some games.

You don't need a mouse to play Quake.
Gamepads are not preventing them porting the games to current-gen systems.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I wouldn't mind playing some of the older quake games on consoles. I've recently been playing Quake RTX, and it was my 1st experience with Quake 2 and I really enjoyed the game.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Really enjoyed Quake 4 despite it's problems. Was a fun ride. In terms of MP Quake Wars was a damn good game. I'd love to see a sequel to that.

Agreed, would love for Quake Wars to come back in some way, even if it's by the fans like Renegade X is to Command and Conquer: Renegade.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I literally bought the quake collection during the Quakecon sale. Joke's on you!

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I play just about everything on PC and use keyboard & mouse in nearly every game where possible - to the point that it feels like I'm the only person complaining about poor mouse implementations in some games.

You don't need a mouse to play Quake.
Gamepads are not preventing them porting the games to current-gen systems.

The developer of the game literally said it word for word that gamepads being inadequate is the ONLY reason they're not porting it

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Quake is a lovely shooter with a rare approach to dark fantasy that few other shooters did to this day. Its verticality is also very cool, and while it isn't the best Quake mechanically, it's a special game that I'd gladly replay in a collection.

Quake 2 is the "less Quake-y" game of the bunch, because it's a more generic (if pretty brutal in terms of lore) sci-fi FPS. But the complex level design is very nice, although it can be a bit backtracky, and it has tons of great enemies and weapons. Those light effects at the start of the game when it came out, wow.

Quake 3: Arena and Team Arena are some of the best arena shooters out there, no questions about that. I've always been on the Unreal Tournament side personally, but Quake's brutality and satisfying shooting to this day aged a lot better than nearly all other 3D shooters of the era. Give me a current-gen version of it, even with the same graphics.

Quake 4 was a fun ride, albeit I recall I didn't finish the last level or so for some reason. It starts off as a more action-packed take on the (boring, to me) Doom 3 formula that plays well enough but isn't really on par with the other game that did it better (Prey). Then there's a major twist in the storyline and the game turns around its head, becoming pretty damn great. I'd play it again surely.

I did not play Quake Champions but if they decided to throw it in a collection that spans platforms like the Doom re-releases, I'd surely try it.

A collection, even with a high price, is something I'd likely buy as I have fond memories of just about all games in the franchise.
Quake Champions is free btw.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
If you ask me the tonal shift from Quake 1 is what ended killing the series (though I think Q2 is great). By Quake 4 the game was as generic as it gets, completely overshadowed by other shooters from the period like Fear.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The developer of the game literally said it word for word that gamepads being inadequate is the ONLY reason they're not porting it
It probably doesn't make financial sense for them to port Quake Champions, as it's a multiplayer-only game that is unlikely to get a large following on console, but there's nothing preventing the other games from being ported over and played on a controller.
I think the original Quake is the only game which has not received an untouched console release before anyway. Quake II, III, 4, and ET:QW were all on the Xbox 360.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Love all 4 games. Part 4, especially, is a misunderstood, overlooked, unfairly derided gem.
I'm sure it'll get the love Doom is getting right now when it hits 25 in a couple years.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The trick here is that every single person that would buy a copy saw this thread and clicked yes, this is as good as an NPD numbers.

/s
Id Software: PS4 Neo & Xbox Scorpio Hardware Not The Reason Quake Champions Is A PC Game

Apparently hardware isn't the main reason why the upcoming Quake Champions is a PC-only game. Id software's creative director, Tim Willits, said this in a recent interview with Finder.au.com when asked whether the PS4 Neo and Xbox Scorpio would increase id Software's options to release the title on consoles as well.

According to Willits, the reason for Quake Champions being a PC-only game is due to being having to play with a controller on consoles.

"Well we can run Quake Champions on consoles now because, you know, it's just code. But we want to run it really fast, we want to have the full twitch aiming, and we want rocket jumping, which is really hard on consoles – really hard. So we feel that for a competitive game to play at events like QuakeCon, the PC platform is the best. "

They should've just released it as-is. Who gives a shit about your shit being really hard to play?

Release it, add kb/m support and then walk away, let them be shit having fun with your game. I can't even begin to tell you how many hours I put into Unreal Championship on OG Xbox with 125% speed being the norm in both AA/no-AA gametypes, people had a blast, you saw people playing that game well after the sequel that nobody wanted that was tuned for console players and up until servers went down.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I already have the Id collection on Steam but I would like to see a Doom 2016 kind of remake of Quake 1. Imagine the Shamblers realised in modern graphics. D:

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I used to play a hell of a lot of Quake Live when it was a free browser game. It was incredible for what it was. Then it became a paid game. Then Quake Champions came out. Played a bit of Champions, but really, Live was a hell of a lot more fun to me. I sorely miss those times spent playing.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I play quake 3 insta gib once or twice a year in office lans. It holds up just great. We play insta since one of us is disgustingly good. He used to compete. He would just steam roll us.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Give me a good Quake 1 reboot.

Just grungy, unsettling environments, elder gods, slimy grottos, and weird medieval shit.

If they could reboot it on the same level as they did with Doom, it'd be amazing. Then give me a id Avengers and have a game where the Doom Slayer, Ranger, and Blazkowicz team up to fight a Demon/Nazi/Elder God invasion.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I just recently bought the Quake collection on Steam (which does NOT include Q4, asshats) and, while I do enjoy the ambiance and mood it sets you on, I can honestly say it has been faaaar surpassed in every conceivable way. But a Quake (2021) remboot? fuck yes, I'd love lovecraftian beasts in ID gfx.

Dec 15, 2017
You can have your quake collection on PC for a really cheap price. But yeah we need a new SP quake game. Quake 4 was underrated.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, there are some people who are really really angry at the idea of Quake ever being on consoles.

You all know they've all been on consoles before, right? If Quake 1 and 2 can work on the N64, then there's no reason why they wouldn't work on modern controllers too (and Quake 2 already worked pretty well on 360).

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Man, there are some people who are really really angry at the idea of Quake ever being on consoles.

You all know they've all been on consoles before, right? If Quake 1 and 2 can work on the N64, then there's no reason why they wouldn't work on modern controllers too (and Quake 2 already worked pretty well on 360).
Like i seriously don't get it. We even had a great port of Quake 2 on PS1 for crying out loud.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Replayed Quake on the Vita recently and it holds up damn good. I had forgotten how many FPS I played back in the day, but lost interest when it became all about military shooters. Gimme Quake. Gimme Hexen. Gimme more spiritual successors like Amid Evil. I'll buy all that shit.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I would take a Quake collection. I would love a Quake reboot with a level editor and uber awesome old school lan party settings as there is an entire generation of PC gamers that have never done a LAN party.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
Quake's problem is that it become defined by its multi-player, in particular death matches, to the point were 9 times out 10 when people say "Quake" what they mean is "Quake III Arena" because the context Quake gets brought is a multi-player context like: "What happened to arena shooters?" "multi-player games used to be more skillful" and so on. And well we can argue the reasons multi-player arena shooters are just not popular anymore, but since when people think "Quake" they think "arena shooters" and not "Single player" its stuck going down with the arena shooter ship.

Meanwhile Doom is far more remembered for its single player, which they did figure out a way to rework into something that both carries the fast frantic feeling of Classic Doom and is appealing to modern audiences, so its popularity is able to stabilize and even grow well Quake is stuck in a death spiral.

And that's not even getting into the fact that there's what three different kinds of Quake fans? Like you make a single player focused Quake and there will be a lot of Quake fans not happy, and then you have the "Gothic horror" Quake fans and the sci-fi Quake fans, I do not envy anyone trying to figure out what to do with this franchise.

Last edited:

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I agree with NathanS

When people hear Quake they think Quake 2 mp matches, Q3 Arena, or the new Quake hero shooter. I personally think id made a mistake by making Q3 a mp-focused game instead of another SP game, because they essentially designed themselves into a corner. Don't get me wrong- I understand that yeah, Q3 was insanely successful and popular, but it ended up letting their potential for SP rot on the vine, so to speak, and then Q4 ended up a flop.

Had they instead made Quake Arena a side project and continued working on a really solid SP Quake 3, things may be a lot different and more akin to where Doom is at currently with a proper revival and going back to it's roots.

I'd absolutely LOVE another SP Quake game but it needs to be done right and it needs to respect it's roots like the new Doom titles. At the same time I definitely respect the MP Quake crowd and I hope they keep making good titles with the IP for them too. Maybe developers that are good with MP stuff can handle those while another solid SP team (hey maybe Machine Games can do it and take a break from Wolf?) works on a revival.

What I'd like to see:
Quake Remastered - PC and Consoles, 4K, new graphics + an old graphics mode, MP based on the most popular modes/mods, a NEW extra episode
Quake 2 Remastered - see above
Quake 4 HD - can be basic enough, but a lot of folks didn't get to play it, and (IMHO) Doom 3 wasn't very good but got several ports, so why not?
Quake (2021) - a true return to form to it's SP roots with a new studio, and "soft rebooted" like Doom was without messing with the lore too much (I'd also prefer it to go back to it's alien/gothic inspired designs and creatures instead of just space marines and alien soldiers...)

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy a Quake 1 remake for sure. 2 and 4 are... OK I guess, but that scifi robot alien stuff is kinda ehhhh compared to the dark Lovecraftian fantasy of Quake 1.

I don't play MP, so Quake 3 has never been relevant to me.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with NathanS

When people hear Quake they think Quake 2 mp matches, Q3 Arena, or the new Quake hero shooter. I personally think id made a mistake by making Q3 a mp-focused game instead of another SP game, because they essentially designed themselves into a corner. Don't get me wrong- I understand that yeah, Q3 was insanely successful and popular, but it ended up letting their potential for SP rot on the vine, so to speak, and then Q4 ended up a flop.

Had they instead made Quake Arena a side project and continued working on a really solid SP Quake 3, things may be a lot different and more akin to where Doom is at currently with a proper revival and going back to it's roots.

I'd absolutely LOVE another SP Quake game but it needs to be done right and it needs to respect it's roots like the new Doom titles. At the same time I definitely respect the MP Quake crowd and I hope they keep making good titles with the IP for them too. Maybe developers that are good with MP stuff can handle those while another solid SP team (hey maybe Machine Games can do it and take a break from Wolf?) works on a revival.

What I'd like to see:
Quake Remastered - PC and Consoles, 4K, new graphics + an old graphics mode, MP based on the most popular modes/mods, a NEW extra episode
Quake 2 Remastered - see above
Quake 4 HD - can be basic enough, but a lot of folks didn't get to play it, and (IMHO) Doom 3 wasn't very good but got several ports, so why not?
Quake (2021) - a true return to form to it's SP roots with a new studio, and "soft rebooted" like Doom was without messing with the lore too much (I'd also prefer it to go back to it's alien/gothic inspired designs and creatures instead of just space marines and alien soldiers...)
Quake4 runs into issues as it wasn't developed in house by id, but by Raven. Bethesda never seems all that in a hurry to go to Activision for such things.

Nov 14, 2017
Having played warframe on switch, its prefectly doable. Don't underestimate gyro aiming. Go see high level splatoon 2 play. It takes about the same time to aim up and down than a mouse so doing a rocket jump shouldn't be an issue at all on switch. I agree that joystick are just plain worse than a keyboard and mouse in shooters, but gyro plus sticks is the next best thing in my opinion.
The timing for rocket jumping in Quake is incredibly precise. You need a very quick downward flick, a jump, and then a rocket fire very shortly after. It would be incredibly difficult to do with gyro aiming. I agree that gyro aiming is good, but I don't think most players would reliably be able to do it with gyros.
Just because you're incapable of using a controller to play shooters doesn't mean everyone else is the same.
It's more that Quake 1multiplayer as originally designed is pretty much impossible to play at a high level with a controller, because it was never considered that players might use one when it was being designed. Sure, you could have a version where everyone runs round the levels and shoot each other with a controller, but it would be a completely different game to how its played on KB&M.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes because this is how everybody plays quake lol. be real here, quake would work perfectly well with a controller.
First several times I beat it were on Saturn, I can attest, it is possible.

I'd buy a Quake 1 remake for sure. 2 and 4 are... OK I guess, but that scifi robot alien stuff is kinda ehhhh compared to the dark Lovecraftian fantasy of Quake 1.
Agreed, always and forever!

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Rolling my eyes at those who don't seem to realize that the way most people played Quake 1 at launch was the same way they played all FPSes back then. Arrow keys to move, ctrl to shoot, shift to run, alt to strafe was literally the default control method, with A and Z to look up and down being the big new additions. I finished the single player that way. It was only months later at a gaming con I heard about this crazy dude who was somehow using a mouse and doing exceptionally well in Deathmatch with it.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Quake 1 is amazing. I liked it more than old school Doom until the recent reboot. Best gaming soundtrack of all times and the game had lots of lore and personality.

I remember thinking my dream FPS was Quake 1's world with Half Life's storytelling approach.

Quake 2 and on just was "another sci fi shooter"

I'd be day one for a Quake 1 remake or a return to that direction. ID software took that series in a generic direction.

Also I voted maybe cause I only want Quake 1 and its expansions. The rest I can do without.

Last edited:

M.A.V.

Oct 27, 2017
The timing for rocket jumping in Quake is incredibly precise. You need a very quick downward flick, a jump, and then a rocket fire very shortly after. It would be incredibly difficult to do with gyro aiming. I agree that gyro aiming is good, but I don't think most players would reliably be able to do it with gyros.

It's more that Quake 1multiplayer as originally designed is pretty much impossible to play at a high level with a controller, because it was never considered that players might use one when it was being designed. Sure, you could have a version where everyone runs round the levels and shoot each other with a controller, but it would be a completely different game to how its played on KB&M.

I really should try rocket jumping with gyro in Quake and see if I can pull it off. I didn't factor in that it needs to be that precise.

samwyse

Oct 28, 2017
We already had Doom, which was perfect, thus Quake wasn't that interesting. Rainbow Six was the next step.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
You guys may get your wish. Rumors are that quake is the next game to get the doom 2016 treatment.