• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you buy a Quake collection?

• Yes

Votes: 305 59.1%
  • No

Votes: 110 21.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 79 15.3%
  • Idk

Votes: 21 4.1%

• Total voters

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
The first Quake is my favourite game from the older ID classics, Quake 2/3/4 were good but I always felt like they should have been their own series instead of thematically taking over and making the original title feel like the odd one.

Nowadays it seems like "Quake" is mostly considered a multiplayer ip, a shame since the settings and monsters of the original still feel unique in the genre to this day.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
I voted maybe because as much as I adore Quake, especially the 1st one which is almost as important as Doom to my eyes, Bethesda just proved us once again last week that they are totally able to botch something as simple as a classic Doom rerelease. So maybe, depending on the quality of said collection.

Oh and source ports are great.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
yeah, but i doubt bethesda would want to put some ridiculous ports like those in this day and age. Quake 2 on consoles has lower movement speed, recoil removed entirely from any weapon. Less enemies that react much worse, miss more, do less damage. Its a lessened experience in every possible way that the pc original. Why would anyone want to play it like that?

If the only authentic and original experience can be had on a computer, why not play it there?

I don't understand why a PS4 version of Quake would be such a problem.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a huge Quake fan. I've been playing nearly every day for over a decade. It's difficult to imagine an IP that has been managed quite as poorly as Quake has.

The beginning of the end was Quake Live. QL was a fantastic product: In the beginning, it was essentially a free version of Q3A with a large number of QoL tweaks that ran in your browser. However, from the start it had trouble making money. As mentioned, QL was free, but you could pay extra for the ability to host your own games using id's servers. This monetization model continued for a surprisingly long time despite id admitting that QL was losing them money. The player base was never huge, but it was big enough that you could generally find a game at all hours of the day if you were in a popular enough region. QL's population slowly dwindled, however, and a highly bungled Steam launch - complete with changes nobody asked for intended to make the game easier - merely accelerated the process.

QL's development history is typified by inaction and ignorance of the player base. Id failed to capitalize in any meaningful way on the value of rebooting and offering for free what is arguably the strongest game in id's stellar lineup. Instead of looking at what other games were doing with matchmaking to address the very real concern that QL's largest negative to new players was that you were virtually guaranteed to get slaughtered by experienced players for months if not longer before getting a W, QL tried to encourage the player base to play the game with different rules that they supposed would be more welcoming to new players. Of course, this didn't work; QL's fanbase inexplicably liked the game as it was and they weren't interested in features like loadouts and item pickup timers.

QL is actually still alive, but the player base never truly recovered from the transition to Steam and id continues to be content to let it languish instead of taking advantage of the recent trend of old games being revived.

The story of Quake Champions is similar. QC started out with a lot of ill will because of its dubious premise - let's make Quake a hero shooter! - but when the game went into EA and it was not nearly as bad as many had feared, many were convinced that it was worth giving them the opportunity to make the game good. Unfortunately, the developers of QC consistently squandered that opportunity. QC has been plagued with technical issues that have been solved in previous iterations of the series and, considering the nature of Quake gameplay, are entirely unacceptable, especially so long after Bethesda started charging money for the game. QC's technical issues are so bad that this year's QuakeCon tournament featured two complete game crashes.

The developers have also made numerous design missteps that also could have been avoided had they simply done things as they'd been done in previous iterations. Among the most notorious of these is QC's attempt to push a new duel format that emphasizes the "champions" part of Quake Champions. Duel has been the keystone of competitive Quake for a very long time now; one would expect that any alteration to the formula would not be done with a heavy hand. Nonetheless, what we got was a format that was almost universally reviled for its capacity to suck the air out of the room and for its ability to shine the spotlight on QC's greatest shortcomings. Consequently, one of the most consistent requests by the community is the return of the "timed duel" format that Quake duels had used for the preceding two decades. The developers eventually acquiesced, but the implementation of timed duel has been excruciatingly slow; indeed, ranked time duel is still unavailable and the uncertainty in changeover has rendered ranked play almost pointless.

There is definitely more to be said on the topic of how bungled Quake has been managed. Certainly there is a lot to be said about how inappropriate of a product Quake 4 is, for example, but I really wanted to focus on the way that Quake's handlers have even managed to prevent the good recent entries in the series from succeeding.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I'd go for a remastered collection, maybe even all 3 games in RTX (or the next-gen RT equivalent on console) with full multiplayer.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Quake 1, 2 & 3 are all classics in my mind. Quake 1 has the best single player obviously, Quake 3 the best multi, but Quake 2 had multi that was better in some ways than 3 and a solid single player campaign (not to mention amazing mods). I'll never forget.

I want a new Quake in the style of Quake 1. Let's face it, Quake 2/4 is basically covered by Doom these days.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Given the popularity of retro looking FPS games, Bethesda could be capitalizing on this with their franchises.

I'd love a new Quake designed after the original. Of course we'd likely get some homogenized Wolfenstein Youngblood bullshit.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any reason given why all the current digital versions of Quake 1 and 2 don't have their soundtracks?
I'd only be interested in a fancy re-release of the first game if it had the music.
Apparently it's a licensing issue? The GOG releases do have the music - they circumvent the problem by including original CD images and a DOSBOX config to use them as the default option to play. There's also a small, unofficial utility on their forums that rips them to OGG and puts them in proper folder for use in sourceport of choice.

But this is because GOG goes the extra mile. Steam release was done by Bethesda themselves and they don't care, I guess?

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I don't understand why a PS4 version of Quake would be such a problem.

i mean, i just wrote it in the post you quoted. The old quake ports are altered in a negative way in every aspect of their gameplay in order to function with a controller. Quake 1 specifically screams after a mouse and a keyboard. I dont understand why you dont play it there. Its available since 1996 and has amazing mods like Quake Arcane Dimensions. Why expect a port for a platform thats not suited for the game and would play infinitely worse? A console port of Quake 1 would be just playing for the sake of saying i've played it. Theres nothing of Quakes spirit captured in what would be such a compromised way of playing

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
It wouldn't necessarily control abysmally at all. Would you be able to achieve the same level of play as with KBM? Most likely not! But I don't see why it couldn't still be entirely playable. There are hundreds of shooters on console.

Edit: Like, I'm not trying to be an asshole here. I'm just at a loss. The PS4 is not the Saturn/N64. I think Quake on PS4 is entirely doable and would be entirely acceptable. I mean, surely.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Make Quake goth again. Seriously have no interest in more sci-fi Quake. But bring back classic nailguns, monsters and NIN soundtracks. I'd love a Quake reboot like that.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

they share the same core pillars in gameplay

It wouldn't necessarily control abysmally at all. Would you be able to achieve the same level of play as with KBM? Most likely not! But I don't see why it couldn't still be entirely playable. There are hundreds of shooters on console.

yes, there are hundreds of shooters on consoles. None of which play like quake. And all of them designed from the drawing board for a controller. Lack of need for precision aiming, large cones for bullet dispersion in order to hit your targets, large safe windows for enemies, enemies that shoot bad, cover magnetism, bullet magnetism, contextual actions, aim assist and so on. Games function on gamepads because theres an obscene amount of automation and help behind the scenes. Contrary to popular belief, the dual stick controller is an utterly abysmal tool for gaming, thats why it requiers so many layers of help.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Id Software: PS4 Neo & Xbox Scorpio Hardware Not The Reason Quake Champions Is A PC Game

Apparently hardware isn't the main reason why the upcoming Quake Champions is a PC-only game. Id software's creative director, Tim Willits, said this in a recent interview with Finder.au.com when asked whether the PS4 Neo and Xbox Scorpio would increase id Software's options to release the title on consoles as well.

According to Willits, the reason for Quake Champions being a PC-only game is due to being having to play with a controller on consoles.

"Well we can run Quake Champions on consoles now because, you know, it's just code. But we want to run it really fast, we want to have the full twitch aiming, and we want rocket jumping, which is really hard on consoles – really hard. So we feel that for a competitive game to play at events like QuakeCon, the PC platform is the best. "

I grew up on kb+m so I know Quake is meant to be played like that, but while it was clearly slower and all I had a great time with the XBLA version of Quake 3 for one, so I'd be okay with a port. Overwatch, Apex Legends, Siege, Call Of Duty... many shooters feel like a different game on PC, no reason to skip console though.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't need a new release of the old Quakes when I have Quakespasm for 1 and Quake 2 RTX recently came out for 2. I would like an RTX version of Quake 1 though.

Anyways, it probably gets less love because as a whole it's an incoherent series with all the titles being pretty divergent from one another, so there is no single Quake identity. To some, it's Lovecraft monsters in castles, to others it's sci-fi military, and to the rest it's some picmip monstrosity with lime Keels jumping around for Adderall junkies.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Anyways, it probably gets less love because as a whole it's an incoherent series with all the titles being pretty divergent from one another, so there is no single Quake identity. To some, it's Lovecraft monsters in castles, to others it's sci-fi military, and to the rest it's some picmip monstrosity with lime Keels jumping around for Adderall junkies.

Yep, this is a big issue with Quake as a franchise. It's so varied across games and different folk love different parts of it for different reasons.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Quake II on PSone was one of my first FPS when I was 12. I have a fond memory of the local multiplayer too, even with our OG PS pads without joysticks. And then I loved Quake III Arena on Dreamcast with a single stick on the pad.

Both were catastophic to play on pad but you adapt when you're a kid ! I would love to try Q1 at last, after all the good thing I heard all these years !

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Would love a modern console port of Quake 1 and 2. Or hell, make the 360 version of Quake 2 BC.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quake is much better than doom imo.

Also Quake 2 (and 3) is still the best fps online. (gameplay wise)

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I would love a Q3A "remake" or whatever you'd wanna call it. Q3A, UT, CS -- those were the times!

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
i grew up playing quake 2 online as a kid and it had a huge impact on me. never really vibed with q3a. the amount of time i spent on q2dm1 with rail only 1v1 duels *misty eyes*

i'd vibe some more quake games for sure.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I just don't understand the notion of there only being one way to play these games, and that being on PC with mouse precision, circle strafing and rocket jumping. I think that's ridiculous personally. Not everyone wants to play the game like that, just like not everyone who enjoys fighting games wishes to learn inputs like a second language. Play the thing however you want.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Quake is in this weird place where it's either not "retro" enough or not aged well to be ported to modern platforms as is and because of this requires some heavy updating of visuals and gameplay mechanics to be relevant today.

Would be cool if Bethesda would bother to make a better version of Q2RTX, port Q1 to this engine and release them together at some point. They won't though.

Nov 14, 2017
Id Software: PS4 Neo & Xbox Scorpio Hardware Not The Reason Quake Champions Is A PC Game

Apparently hardware isn't the main reason why the upcoming Quake Champions is a PC-only game. Id software's creative director, Tim Willits, said this in a recent interview with Finder.au.com when asked whether the PS4 Neo and Xbox Scorpio would increase id Software's options to release the title on consoles as well.

According to Willits, the reason for Quake Champions being a PC-only game is due to being having to play with a controller on consoles.

"Well we can run Quake Champions on consoles now because, you know, it's just code. But we want to run it really fast, we want to have the full twitch aiming, and we want rocket jumping, which is really hard on consoles – really hard. So we feel that for a competitive game to play at events like QuakeCon, the PC platform is the best. "
This. You literally cannot play Quake with a controller, and that massively limits the audience. There's no technical reason why you couldn't have Quake on current consoles - even last gen console were powerful enough. It's just that you can't do twitch aiming with rocket jumping on controller. They'd have to add a rocket jump button at the very least to make it work on console (which actually isn't a terrible idea).

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Quake 3 always felt lame compared to unreal tournament, but quake 1 had this vibe I really enjoyed, I'd kill for a new (AAA doom style) quake 1 type game. Stating aaa because most indie games trying to give me what I wanted usually fall short for me.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Because Quack is a game for old people. Same like WooD.
e65.jpg

(also unfortunately the quake gameplay doesn't fit the current / popular game design)

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love a Quake collection. Though it had better include the N64 version of Quake 2 as well, since that was pretty much a different game. I wouldn't mind the PS1's lighting as an option too, since that's my favorite version of Quake 2.

Oct 27, 2017
I was obsessed with the original Quake. I used to play the demo constantly back then. I remember it didnt have any music either. Dat shareware. Eventually I got the full game for my bday and it was awesome. Quake 2 was also mindblowing at the time. It may seem kinda generic today, but back then there wasnt much like it really, and Unreal was still a year off.

I'd kill for a Q1/2 remaster or a quake collection as I never played Q4.

Nov 23, 2017
The gatekeeping of it by pc players like in this thread probably doesn't help, op, despite the fact many people played ports of it growing up and would buy ports of it now.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see why they can't make a new single player Quake ala Doom 2016.

I'm convinced that once MachineGames is done with Wolfenstein 3, they'll move onto a Quake reboot for the next generation. It was the single most influential game for Jerk Gustafsson and he's already on record saying he'd love to do it.

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I see Quake as a multiplayer franchise. Quake Champions is out there and it seems to be a good game. I think it's just a case of not being "in" anymore. There's still people that play quake live and quake champions.

M.A.V.

Oct 27, 2017
This. You literally cannot play Quake with a controller, and that massively limits the audience. There's no technical reason why you couldn't have Quake on current consoles - even last gen console were powerful enough. It's just that you can't do twitch aiming with rocket jumping on controller. They'd have to add a rocket jump button at the very least to make it work on console (which actually isn't a terrible idea).

Having played warframe on switch, its prefectly doable. Don't underestimate gyro aiming. Go see high level splatoon 2 play. It takes about the same time to aim up and down than a mouse so doing a rocket jump shouldn't be an issue at all on switch. I agree that joystick are just plain worse than a keyboard and mouse in shooters, but gyro plus sticks is the next best thing in my opinion.

Deleted member 5457

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In 1996 when Q1 was released, keyboard was absolute standard. The game wasn't made to be played on mouse only, that's for sure. We came to mouse only phase later. Many people were still aiming on page up/page down :/. Mouse look wasn't on by default even in Q2. Half-life was the first big game to have it enabled by default.

If they're gonna bring any of the quake games to consoles, they will have to push controller stick acceleration to the limit. We need very fast turning and precision at the same time. They cannot reach mouse level of play, of course, but good gameplay is doable. Bumper jumper control scheme, no ADS, but slightly sticky aim, very fast turning, slower gameplay overall ... I'd do it :D

Last edited:

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
picked up the collection on steam during quakecon and currently playing through quake 1 for the first time with quakespasm and the og NIN soundtrack. Having an absolute blast with it