• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I believe in the New Hope novelization released way, way back, Obi Wan actually acknowledges he does know R2. But idk, could be wrong.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Because he knew that the last place Anakin would ever go to is his home. Darth Vader straight up admits this.

thumb_the-closer-we-are-to-danger-the-farther-we-are-55155344.png

Personally I think it's just a retcon by GL who didn't think that through when writing IV

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Obi didn't really spend that much time with them, did he? Like, they were Anakin/Padme's. I'm sure he worked with dozens of other droids too, there's some added significance to them due to Anakin, but he's only with them again briefly and it's kind of an info dump to just start explaining it.

Plus, for all we know, he and R2 chatted in private aboard the Falcon.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not everything has to be spelled out in dialog or even a scene.

And also: because when they filmed this he probably literally didn't know, since you know, it was the first film filmed.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
R2 units and protocol droids are a dime a dozen. All different colors. There's no reason for him to recognize them. Other protocol droids might even have 3PO's voice.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because Star Wars is only slightly more coherent than the Zelda timeline.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Obi is a huge fucking liar. He's literally known for this during the Clone Wars. "Point of view" my ass.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Alec Guinness performed those lines with enough of a twinkle in his eye that we can plausibly read the scene in retrospect as Obi-Wan just being coy/hiding the truth from Luke.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, why didn't Anakin recognize them?

Why did Obi Won go into hiding on the planet where Anakin was born, not changing his name, protecting a boy named Luke who similarly never changed his name from Skywalker?

Why did they surmise that Anakin wasn't ready to be a jedi because he was too old at the time of indoctrination, and he was too attached to his feelings, yet they let one of their only hopes, Luke, grow even older before being introduced to the Jedi ways, and in many ways more strongwilled and ruled by his emotions? They are very, very lucky Luke wasn't as attached to his uncle and aunt as Anakin was to his mother.

Because Anakin hates Tatooine. He would never go there.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Luke, Anakin, Ahsoka, Poe and Rey are some of the few Star Wars characters that see droids differently than how we see everyday machinery

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Why would he assume they were the droids he knew? They didn't remember him and droids of the same model all look the same/similar.

Even if he recognised them, what would be the point in mentioning it? Luke bought them at random from jawas. He'd just sound crazy and it's a boring story anyway.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
It's broken lore. There's a lot of jank like this in the original trilogy, once you start to factor in the prequels. Another one is Obi-Wan calling Vader "Darth" like it's his first name, rather than a title.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's broken lore. There's a lot of jank like this in the original trilogy, once you start to factor in the prequels. Another one is Obi-Wan calling Vader "Darth" like it's his first name, rather than a title.
Well yeah, the answer is Darth Vader wasn't Luke's father at the time.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Because George Lucas didn't plan out the prequel trilogy in details before making the OG trilogy and didn't intend for Obi-Wan to have previously adventured with them so much.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
why does yoda have to remind obi wan that "there is another" in empire and then in return of the jedi, obi wan again says to luke "you were our only hope".

the dude is losing his memory. its evident across the entire trilogy.

Last edited:

Drensch

Oct 27, 2017
Droids are appliances. To obi wan, they're a fridge or a washing machine or a PC. Astromechs and pricier protocol droids were a dime a dozen.
World you recognize your childhood PC, or your college roommate's fridge, your neighbors washing machine?

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
It was fine at the time. The prequels messed up the continuity because George Lucas. Although I think you can also decide that old Ben was lying.

Oct 27, 2017
i don't really know but i'd assume it will just because the han solo movie decided it needed to explain or depict literally every offhand reference to han solo's backstory so

His name is Obi-Wan because when he boarded the shuttle to the Jedi Temple as a youngling they asked for his name and how many bags he had to declare. "Obi, one."

Book it!

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Because in the film that was written and released in 1977, he'd never seen them before.

I will at least say in the prequels and The Clone Wars, Obi-Wan was written as someone who didn't get attached to droids or regard them as anything other than temporary tools.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
From a certain point of view, Obi wan is correct. He did not "own" the droids. He just interacted with them.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
If the neighbor boy you've been absent mindedly watching over, and hoping to recruit to your revenge scheme, comes over with a washing machine or some gateway pc tower, first word out of your mouth is going to be "those are mine"?

He's been cooped up in an igloo on a desert planet -desert planet with two suns- ran by slug. His neighbors are raiders and swindlers.

Further, he's in hiding. He doesn't know what's with the line of questioning. Deny. Deny. Deny.

What really need though, is a special edition where they deep fake a conversation between Guinness and a digital R2 aboard the falcon. Maybe in 5 years 🤞

Zareth

Oct 25, 2017
It's because of bad writing and George Lucas or whoever made the decisions for the prequels wanting to shoehorn in recognizable characters from the original trilogy for some fan service.

Oct 28, 2017

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Lies flow easy when the truth is at stake.