• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like Toad?

• Yes, he is super cute!

Votes: 393 49.2%
  • I guess he is OK

Votes: 264 33.0%
  • I don't like Toad

Votes: 98 12.3%
  • I hate Toad!

Votes: 44 5.5%

• Total voters
Nov 1, 2017
I don't know how anyone could like Toads after playing Paper Jam. Obnoxious talking collectable filler and nothing more.
TOK rubs it in by
having a generic Toad-hater as the main villain. For a dumb reason, at that.
Really subtle and meta. /s

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
This is weird because it's almost asking two separate questions. Talking about "Toad" as a character but then using Origami King as your example where Toads are not a singular character, but rather the species as a whole. Yoshi runs into a similar problem sometimes where there's both a singular yoshi but it's also an entire race of characters.

Complaining about all the toads being everywhere in Origami King feels like asking why there are humans all over the place in all the towns when you boot up a Final Fantasy or whatever else. More often than not, toads are just the standard NPC of the world, it's not that complex.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Don't you say that about my boy, I love Toad. The way his footsteps squeaked like a clown/baby toy in Luigi's Mansion 3 cracked me up. He's no Kirby, but he's still adorable.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toad is boring.

Toadette >>> Captain Todd >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Toad

Oct 27, 2017
Which Toad tho?

2T6zCgy.jpg

OP
OP
Wikzo

Wikzo

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
This is weird because it's almost asking two separate questions. Talking about "Toad" as a character but then using Origami King as your example where Toads are not a singular character, but rather the species as a whole.

Complaining about all the toads being everywhere in Origami King feels like asking why there are humans all over the place in all the towns when you boot up a Final Fantasy or whatever else.
I guess that's right, but the Toads in recent Paper Mario games feel very similar both in appearance and purpose, in the sense that most of them need to be found/rescued by Mario, without really contributing to the overall story or vibe of the game. I'd much prefer fewer Toads with some more meaningful interactions.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Toad the character is fucking annoying as hell. Those shrill sounds in MK8. Ugh, just makes me recoil.

Toads as a species are boring. There's nothing about them that makes them special. They're just little grunts.

The Paper Mario games deserve a more varied set of demographics. There's no objective reason they can't have one.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
Toads are great in the Paper Mario games, especially in CS and TOK. They may look cute, but the vast majority of them are ungrateful little a**holes. I love it.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Toads, whatever happened to Toadsworth? When was the last game he appeared in?

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
How can you not love toad, was going to be my question. Then I remembered this forum is full of waluigi stans so I guess it's just a case of bad taste.

Don't @ me

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
They're adorable and funny, toads are some of the cutest mario characters. They're the only driver worth using in Mario Kart 😤(Shy guy is cool too tho)

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Toad can be cute, but I do find he's overused generally. I also don't like his super clean CGI design.

dsmash

May 19, 2020
I'm just going to say the name "Toad" is not great, though. Does it come from toadstool? I think they could have done something more creative. Not any better, in the Mario cartoon, his Spanish dub name was "Honguito" which just means "little mushroom".
In Japanese his name is Kinopio (key-no-pee-oh)

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The toads are hilarious w/o being obnoxious like minions or rabbids. I can never get enough of them.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Toad peaked around Mario Tennis/Mario Party 1. He/They get worse every game. Toadette was always trash.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I like Toad a lot, particularly when he's playable. Toad should be playable in Smash. Although he wouldn't come with an exciting new gimmick, it just seems like he's a glaring omission. Toadette would be a good choice too, being a character that debuted in the Mario Kart series.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
There are 2 types of people in this world:

1) Those who love toad.
2) Those who have yet to play Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Toad represents the pinnacle of character design in any medium in all of human history. Frankly we should have quit after Mario Kart 64 when he officially declared himself the best.

I like Toad, and Captain Toad is the best.

I do wish Nintendo would create a wider variety of "ally" characters for the Mario cast however.

Like, expand the Mushroom kingdom with more citizens who are shroom themed but not just Toads.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hell if I know.

Sticker Star, Color Splaah, and Paper Jam have made me hate the little fucker.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I think I liked them a bit more before they standarized their design and voice. I think that's why they seem that generic now, because it was easier to think of Toad as a single character that also seemed fresh with every game, and the clones from Princess Peach's castle seemed more like limitations of the development team/hardware than anything else.

Back then you rarely saw more than one Toad together outside of promotional material, also. I think that started with the RPGs and they made sure to differentiate them a bit in those.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind Toad as a singular character, but it's annoying that for playable characters in the platformers are now commonly the bros and a bunch of Toad variants. Gimme Daisy or something, jeez.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
My only problem with Toad is with the generic ones, they ones with little things unique to them are totally ok, even awesome and cool, like Captain Toad.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
All of you people saying "I like Toad, it's not so bad" are gonna be singing a different tune when the Illumination Mario movie turns them into the next Minions.