• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to save my place for about a month, but if an old thread gets bumped it never remembers where I left off. I click open a thread I know I've read and posted in and I get taken to the first post of the thread, even though it's indicated that there are new posts available.

I'm using Firefox 71 and it only happens to old bumped threads.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What's even more stupid is if you click "Jump to new" it'll jump you to where you left off. It just doesn't make any sense as to why it can't just always do that.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
What's even more stupid is if you click "Jump to new" it'll jump you to where you left off. It just doesn't make any sense as to why it can't just always do that.
I'm confused. What else would "jump to new" mean? It takes you to where you left off because that's where the new posts start. Edit: Oh, wait, do you mean that this happens even if the title no longer takes you there by default?

I also don't have this problem, for what it's worth. I was just taken to where I left off on a thread from 2018 earlier this month.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
I'm confused. What else would "jump to new" mean? It takes you to where you left off because that's where the new posts start. Edit: Oh, wait, do you mean that this happens even if the title no longer takes you there by default?

I always took it as "jump to new" posts. Like the most recent posts, not new relative to what I've seen last.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I always took it as "jump to new" posts. Like the most recent posts, not new relative to what I've seen last.
Oh, no, jump to new means the first unread post. Every post has a read/unread status. Jump to new takes you to the first new post since you last read because that's where the new posts start.

If you want to go to the most recent post, you use the right arrow.

Click the title, go to first unread.
Click the left arrow, go to the beginning of the thread.
Click the right arrow, go to the end of the thread.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
Oh, no, jump to new means the first unread post. Every post has a read/unread status. Jump to new takes you to the first new post since you last read because that's where the new posts start.

If you want to go to the most recent post, you use the right arrow.

Click the left arrow, go to the beginning of the thread.
Click the right arrow, go to the end of the thread.

No yeah I figured that after I used 'jump to new' after the first try. But I mean i guess it makes sense since they do have the arrow for that feature

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Hmm. That doesn't happen to me at all. What browser are you using, OP?
Not the OP but it happens to me on Firefox.

Yes that's what it does for every thread except for ones I haven't visited in over a month. For those old threads the thread title will take me to the OP and then "Jump to new" takes me to where the thread title should have. I cared when it was first brought up in one of the forum update/troubleshooting threads almost 2 years ago but I've learned to just work around it like many other annoyances on here.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Not the OP but it happens to me on Firefox.

Yes that's what it does for every thread except for ones I haven't visited in over a month. For those old threads the thread title will take me to the OP and then "Jump to new" takes me to where the thread title should have. I cared when it was first brought up in one of the forum update/troubleshooting threads almost 2 years ago but I've learned to just work around it like many other annoyances on here.

That's strange, that doesn't happen to me. I'm sorry for your trouble. I do wonder if it's browser related. (Edit: I use Chrome and Firefox across multiple devices, but mostly Chrome.)

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Xenforo automatically marks posts as read after a certain timeframe. The default is 30 days. I'm not sure if we've changed that though.

(I have no idea if/what this affects, performance-wise, but I imagine the DB gets a shit ton of rows based on having entries for every user and the read status of each thread)

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xenforo automatically marks posts as read after a certain timeframe. The default is 30 days. I'm not sure if we've changed that though.

(I have no idea if/what this affects, performance-wise, but I imagine the DB gets a shit ton of rows based on having entries for every user and the read status of each thread)
In the case described by the OP, the new posts are actually still marked as unread, but for some reason clicking the thread takes you to the first post instead of these new posts. Clicking "Jump to new" correctly takes you to the new posts.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
In the case described by the OP, the new posts are actually still marked as unread, but for some reason clicking the thread takes you to the first post instead of these new posts. Clicking "Jump to new" correctly takes you to the new posts.
Oh. Huh, I misread.

Yeah that seems like some browser issue, imo, but I'm not sure.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On my home browser it's pretty consistent and works well. Safari on my iPhone is where I have quite a few issues with it, it'll lose my place and just put me on the last page, or it'll not be up-to-date and place me at posts i've already seen. Mostly just an inconvenience though, isn't a constant problem.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Oh. Huh, I misread.

Yeah that seems like some browser issue, imo, but I'm not sure.
Seems like default behavior to me, as it's happened everywhere I browse Era.
I think it might have to do with assuming that if you haven't viewed a thread in a while (in this case 30 days) the software is coded to assume that you might want to read the OP again? Idk

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Seems like default behavior to me, as it's happened everywhere I browse Era.
I think it might have to do with assuming that if you haven't viewed a thread in a while (in this case 30 days) the software is coded to assume that you might want to read the OP again? Idk
IIRC for that specific thing I believe it can be set to either "go to OP" or "go to last post." While doing some investigating today I see many places use the former since they think people may want a refresher on the OP, which I can see making sense.

Fuzzy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
IIRC for that specific thing I believe it can be set to either "go to OP" or "go to last post." While doing some investigating today I see many places use the former since they think people may want a refresher on the OP, which I can see making sense.
Sure, if anyone read the OP of threads in the first place. lol