• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
That's odd. I haven't had an issue with my DS4, but my PS Moves are similarly finicky with what can and can't charge them. I just assumed it was because they're old.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Try taking that cable from the PS4 and using it on the charger.
The DualShock 4's USB ports are extremely fragile and controllers will become very "picky" about what cables they'll work with. I've had to switch over to using chargers that use the EXT connector on the controller instead of USB to charge them reliably.

I think the risk is overcharging. It won't necessarily cut off at a safe limit, compared to charging via the PS4.
This is handled by the device, not the charger.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
mine charges fine through everything, pc, phone wall adapter etc. maybe a bad cable op

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol.

That's funny because my Xbox cables will charge any accessory.

I guess it's just me, fuck me! I just have 3 detective DS4's that don't charge properly.
It honestly seems like something you had caused some short where it only seems to want to work with your PS4 now.

OP
OP
Lunchbox

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Try taking that cable from the PS4 and using it on the charger.
The DualShock 4's USB ports are extremely fragile and controllers will become very "picky" about what cables they'll work with. I've had to switch over to using chargers that use the EXT connector on the controller instead of USB to charge them reliably.

This is handled by the device, not the charger.
They only work with a certain USB on the PS4 lol it's ludicrous.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I've used the cable that came with the PS4 and it only worked in one port on the PS4 itself. Never charged it anywhere else. It's what lead me to getting and trying more cables & chargers. The one I used on a wall charger wouldn't work on the PS4.

With the short battery life to begin with, it seriously stopped me from using the console a few times. It's a PS4 slim I bought brand new in July 2017 to play Crash Bandicoot trilogy, and the controller has been a pain in the ass since day one.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say that they only charge with devices that can see it as some kind of host (PC, Smart TV, Console) but there are people saying they're charging it with a wall charger, so I have no idea.

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
Try resetting the controller. There is a pinhole reset button on the top. I've heard that solves this problem (I've never had it myself)

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I have this problem with some of my USB batteries and the DS4. One of them charges it fine but the other two turn on and then don't think it's pulling enough juice to stay on

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have that problem, but my controllers won't charge when laying flat. Due to the downward angle and the port being on the bottom, it prevents the connector from making good contact most of the time. I have to make sure the charging cable is hanging down over an edge so it "pushes" the connector up to make proper contact. This happens for every cable I've tried after a couple of weeks of use, and it's very annoying.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I have this where it won't charge via one of my usb chargers, but it's fine with another. Maybe a ampage thing?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I had issues like this before and found that only specific devices are able to charge my controllers. Luckily one of those devices is a nice 5-port USB charger from Anker or something, and I conveniently have it near my couch so I'm never without a means to charge any device I have on me. That, and a few old Samsung and LG branded (tiny cube shaped) USB phone chargers worked, but some others didn't, like a few different Nexus chargers.

Currently I'm using one of the (seemingly rare) official Sony DS4 charging cradles that use the EXT port on the bottom of the DS4 and swap back and forth between 2 different controllers, so I haven't had to use cables in a long time.

My only theory why DS4 is picky is because with USB 2.0, which is what micro USB cables are based on, are all 5V, but can vary in amps and wattage. I've had some chargers that when you look at the label they are 1.2 watts, 2.2, 2.4, etc. as well as some slight variation in the amps. The DS4 might require a very specific combination of amps and watts or else it will just reject the charge completely. It reminds me of the early days of smart phones where they were all using micro USB but they were all picky about what chargers you tried with them.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
OP, you're not crazy! This has been the case with me the entire time I've had my PS4 (and PS3!). I've tried it with several different cables, too.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
I had issues like this before and found that only specific devices are able to charge my controllers. Luckily one of those devices is a nice 5-port USB charger from Anker or something, and I conveniently have it near my couch so I'm never without a means to charge any device I have on me. That, and a few old Samsung and LG branded (tiny cube shaped) USB phone chargers worked, but some others didn't, like a few different Nexus chargers.

Currently I'm using one of the (seemingly rare) official Sony DS4 charging cradles that use the EXT port on the bottom of the DS4 and swap back and forth between 2 different controllers, so I haven't had to use cables in a long time.

My only theory why DS4 is picky is because with USB 2.0, which is what micro USB cables are based on, are all 5V, but can vary in amps and wattage. I've had some chargers that when you look at the label they are 1.2 watts, 2.2, 2.4, etc. as well as some slight variation in the amps. The DS4 might require a very specific combination of amps and watts or else it will just reject the charge completely. It reminds me of the early days of smart phones where they were all using micro USB but they were all picky about what chargers you tried with them.
In my experience, the DS4 isn't picky at all. I've charged my DS4s on several different devices with several different cables and haven't had any issue with any of them. PC, laptop, several different phone chargers with different amps/volts and even portable power banks. Maybe it is a regional thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, happens to me as well. It is infuriating to see how the controller doesn't like any usbs I have around, and only wants the ones in the console, which is too far away from me to charge while playing

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Just piping in to say I too have had this problem across every DS4 I have ever used. It's my least favorite controller for a reason -- things never hold a charge, charging them in general is an ordeal, and it's a gamble whenever I turn on my PS4 if the damn things will be charged or not

My solution was to go into the options menu and make sure it was set to not turn off the console if controllers were charging. At least that way I can leave them plugged into the PS4 and at least I know they might end up working for a little while.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I had this too until I saw people talking about it on a thread. I just thought for some reason they were designed not to charge off of normal phone chargers, maybe for safety, but seemed like it was the cable I had been using the whole time.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
Get some decent micro usb cables from a reputable brand.

I charge mine off a Anker battery pack with Anker branded cables

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This also happened with my original DS4. Was unable to charge it with anything other than my PS4. I thought it was bizarre at the time.

But I bought a second controller several years later and it was normal.

I hadn't thought of that until now though.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I never charge them on the PS4.

I have a DS4 charging station I bought at Best Buy and two cables I use when traveling with an Anker wall charger.

Not sure what issue you're having OP.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
OP, you're probably using a Data-Only USB cable

try a different cable, you probably have 10 of them lying around your house.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Its almost definitely a problem with the cable.

I have 3 dualshock 4s, one of which is from launch. They all charged on anything. Phone chargers, PCs, battery backups, you name it.

I actually killed a launch era DS4 by plugging it into a high amp quickcharge wall plug. Don't do that one, kids

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
My PS4 controllers charge connected to my Xbox One in sleep mode (PS4 is at the other end of the room under the TV, Xbox is right next to the seating area) so this definitely sounds like something wrong with the wires, controllers or electricity in your house.

I've also charged PS4 controllers when plugged into my PC or my old phone connector. The ONLY cable that has ever given me problems is the cable that came with the NVIDIA shield, where the PS4 controller charges just fine and will charge if I plug it in while in use, but if I try to turn on my PS4 and the controller while its plugged in to the shield usb wire nothing will happen until I unplug it and press the PS button without it connected.

So yep, no problems here charging a whole bunch of different controllers a whole bunch of different ways.

Edit: also they are launch controllers, so they are olddddd.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My DS4 can charge with all sorts of chargers but DS3 on the other hand would only charge from the ps3.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
OP, what charger are you using? what about the cables? cheap usb cables can stop charging after awhile.

HereticGrin

Feb 16, 2018
I have this issue occasionally and suspect that the Remote Play app on my PC may have something to do with it