• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's more likely to just be taste. A lot of guys don't like pop music. And there's nothing wrong with that.
I think there's something to that. There's a kind of "sentimental" emotion in pop music that I personally love, despite being a straight dude... but I would wager that most straight dudes would say they don't like it, whether by nature, nurture, or just fronting to others as a part of a guys persona that they don't like it.

I had a revelation when I did mushrooms with a very typical macho guy friend. I was playing some electronic music with pop sensibilities. In his mushroomy honesty he put his emotions into words about why he didn't like it: "I don't..... like.... feeling those emotions...... "

That was kind of like an "aha" moment for me. Certain music triggers certain emotions, and certain people as part of their personality want to maximize certain emotions and minimize others. A sweet, earnest, uplifting feeling just does not mesh with the typical macho personality of trying to reduce sentimentality and vulnerability. For those types, the drugs "metal" or "rap" or "hard EDM" might produce the emotions they want to maximize. Not giving a fuck, getting stuff done in style without care, being hard.... etc.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
I think there's something to that. There's a kind of "sentimental" emotion in pop music that I personally love, despite being a straight dude... but I would wager that most straight dudes would say they don't like it, whether by nature, nurture, or just fronting to others as a part of a guys persona that they don't like it.

I had a revelation when I did mushrooms with a very typical macho guy friend. I was playing some electronic music with pop sensibilities. In his mushroomy honesty he put his emotions into words about why he didn't like it: "I don't..... like.... feeling those emotions...... "

That was kind of like an "aha" moment for me. Certain music triggers certain emotions, and certain people as part of their personality want to maximize certain emotions and minimize others. A sweet, earnest, uplifting feeling just does not mesh with the typical macho personality of trying to reduce sentimentality and vulnerability. For those types, the drugs "metal" or "rap" or "hard EDM" might produce the emotions they want to maximize. Not giving a fuck, getting stuff done in style without care, being hard.... etc.
I understand where you're coming from. I love many different types of music personally, and i'm not afraid to play it wherever and whenever. Most of the guys I know are the same, and aren't afraid to admit what they like.

That being said there are a few who just listen to certain types of music. Hard Hip Hop, metal, etc. but it's never game of to me as if they only listened to that stuff to play at being hard or pass off a persona. It just seemed like that's all they really listened to and they never expanded their horizons. I'm not saying there aren't guys out there like that, i'm sure there are plenty, and that I just haven't had the opportunity to meet many of them. I just personally don't think straight men as a whole are overly dismissive of pop solely because of masculinity.

If i've seen people be overly dismissive of certain types of music, then they're usually older or they've never heard a song in a certain genre that spoke to them.

Sorry if this seems a bit like a ramble, i'm Just on break at lunch reading through threads lol.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I understand where you're coming from. I love many different types of music personally, and i'm not afraid to play it wherever and whenever. Most of the guys I know are the same, and aren't afraid to admit what they like.

That being said there are a few who just listen to certain types of music. Hard Hip Hop, metal, etc. but it's never game of to me as if they only listened to that stuff to play at being hard or pass off a persona. It just seemed like that's all they really listened to and they never expanded their horizons. I'm not saying there aren't guys out there like that, i'm sure there are plenty, and that I just haven't had the opportunity to meet many of them. I just personally don't think straight men as a whole are overly dismissive of pop solely because of masculinity.

If i've seen people be overly dismissive of certain types of music, then they're usually older or they've never heard a song in a certain genre that spoke to them.

Sorry if this seems a bit like a ramble, i'm Just on break at lunch reading through threads lol.
I dunno. As you said some of this might be taste, and it isn't the case that we would all like every taste if we gave it a chance. I hate sweet food (ironically, since I love sweet music) and I don't need more ice cream and cake to know I don't like sweet food.

My experience with my friend on mushrooms gave me the impression that no amount of exposure would get him to like a sentimental pop sound. He was in the vulnerable state where I might have thought he would give new music a chance. But instead, he rejected it with an honest answer, and it revealed to me something about his inner persona: feeling sentimental emotions clashes with who he is at his core and the feelings he wants to feel. I think there's something about a typical macho male personality that doesn't want to experience vulnerability or sentimentality by definition, and whether it is nature/nurture I do think it is at the core of what their personal identity is.

As they say, there's no accounting for taste. While experiences may have guided people into particular tastes (particularly in their youth).... it doesn't mean that continued exposure to all tastes will eventually create a fondness for all of them. But as you said, taste isn't firmly set in stone either. It's pretty mysterious.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
I dunno. As you said some of this might be taste, and it isn't the case that we would all like every taste if we gave it a chance. I hate sweet food (ironically, since I love sweet music) and I don't need more ice cream and cake to know I don't like sweet food.

My experience with my friend on mushrooms gave me the impression that no amount of exposure would get him to like a sentimental pop sound. He was in the vulnerable state where I might have thought he would give new music a chance. But instead, he rejected it with an honest answer, and it revealed to me something about his inner persona: feeling sentimental emotions clashes with who he is at his core and the feelings he wants to feel. I think there's something about a typical macho male personality that doesn't want to experience vulnerability or sentimentality by definition, and whether it is nature/nurture I do think it is at the core of what their personal identity is.

As they say, there's no accounting for taste. While experiences may have guided people into particular tastes (particularly in their youth).... it doesn't mean that continued exposure to all tastes will eventually create a fondness for all of them. But as you said, taste isn't firmly set in stone either. It's pretty mysterious.
I think a good amount also has to do what what we grow up with as well. So if you're never really exposed to something that sounds sweet, then there could be a chance you'd react to it negatively. It's just that I personally find it strange when people just don't like a genre without really giving it a shot.

Being black. I know so many dudes who usually listen to hip hop, the hard stuff that most people would associate with the genre if they don't listen to it too often. That being said, those same dudes will know nearly every lyric to every classic R&B song that our parents and those around us grew up listening to, and there is nothing "hard" about the vast majority of those songs. They're very emotional and usually lovey dovey.
These songs are way less "manly" than some random pop song sang by Taylor Swift or whoever. Plus I haven't read through the whole thread, but why aren't people accounting for music like that?

I feel as if it's just a vocal minority that's against certain types of music, because in my experience, the majority has plenty of variety in taste.

Plus while I don't mind sad sounding sounds at all, I personally don't like listening to sad songs just for the sake of being sad. I only bring this up because I know a few people who do, and I just don't understand it lol.

Touchdown

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 days) Hostility, antagonizing other members, history of similar infractions.
It was pretty obvious you didn't have a point the moment you strawmanned my post.

I understand you're upset and hurt about the pop communities continuous attacks against your straight white manliness...but you need to get over yourself at this point and stop trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.