• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So it's Sunday night here and I'm suffering from another case of Sunday night blues and all because of going back to work tomorrow. What's even weird is that I don't even hate the job, I'm fact I actually enjoy it. What I hate is the getting there. Waking up in the middle of a beautiful dream to that awful iPhone alarm, dragging myself to the bathroom, the cold rainy miserable morning, getting prepared, another crowded bus journey etc.

By the time I'm actually in the office, get my coffee and start work, I'm suddenly in a good mood again but that whole event before that time is extremely depressing and I still haven't got over it yet.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only time I hate going to work is early in the AM or during inclement weather. Swing schedules (noon time) are the greatest because I can sleep in. Seriously. I never set an alarm and I can even fit a workout in before the commute. I'd be home well before midnight to game and have a beer or two.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
So it's Sunday night here and I'm suffering from another case of Sunday night blues and all because of going back to work tomorrow. What's even weird is that I don't even hate the job, I'm fact I actually enjoy it. What I hate is the getting there. Waking up in the middle of a beautiful dream to that awful iPhone alarm, dragging myself to the bathroom, the cold rainy miserable morning, getting prepared, another crowded bus journey etc.

By the time I'm actually in the office, get my coffee and start work, I'm suddenly in a good mood again but that whole event before that time is extremely depressing and I still haven't got over it yet.

Do you live in UK?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Because working sucks. Even if people like their jobs, how many would continue if they suddenly got rich?

I just accepted that I'll feel miserable every day.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
idk. For me it's because I actually hate my job and would rather use the time I spend in client support being at home writing. But you know, can't afford to do that. The journey to get to work is just another factor rather than the main reason why I hate it.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I wake up counting the hours until my work day ends and counting the days until it's the weekend again. I work from home thankfully now which makes it easier but it's still shit. Fuck work.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've been in IT hell for so long I can't even remember what a proper weekend is like.

Make over $100k? Awesome right? Until you're on call all the time and Sunday starts to feel like Wednesday. Have fun spending that money when you're supposed to be on vacation but are getting calls and texts 24/7.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017

Can totally relate. Luckily it's mostly a thing of the past for me unless I have to visit a client (WFH now mostly). And even then, I never schedule an appointment before 10 and I have my own motorcycle to get there.

Have you considered listening to podcasts? Just look for stuff to listen to until you have enough subscriptions to last you an entire week of commuting. Makes the journey at least slightly less depressing.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
In the summer it isn't as bad, getting up with the sun shining upon you when you wake up, you get energy from the light, arrive at work before the heat etc

But then comes winter, your alarm goes what feels like just after your REM sleep, you wake up in total darkness, rain slams down on your window.

Half dead you make your breakfast and lunch and traverse the wet hellscape that awaits you.

Going to work in darkness and going home in it sucks, at least this year I can work from home.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
It takes ten hours away from you at the very least. When you only have 24 in a day, that only leaves 14 hours. If 8 of those are meant for sleep, that leaves 6 to do everything else.

It means most of your day is spent around the job. Even if you don't hate it, it's a big amount of time still.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Commute sucks for sure, even when the work itself is enjoyable. The past six months have been much easier since I've been working from home. I've also started waking up at the same time on weekends, which has made Monday mornings a piece of cake too. Unless you're really into clubbing or something, I would genuinely recommend keeping the same sleep scheduled on weekends. Saturday and Sunday also feel super long when you wake up at 7-8am.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
It takes ten hours away from you at the very least. When you only have 24 in a day, that only leaves 14 hours. If 8 of those are meant for sleep, that leaves 6 to do everything else.

It means most of your day is spent around the job. Even if you don't hate it, it's a big amount of time still.
This is the reason why I hate work so much. If it didn't invade my personal time as much I wouldn't mind, nope, it has to take up 80% of your attention span and time. Fuck.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
Sunday nights
A slow surrender
It never lasts and we'll never learn
We can still make this one to remember
Tomorrow morning can wait it's turn.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
This is the reason why I hate work so much. If it didn't invade my personal time as much I wouldn't mind, nope, it has to take up 80% of your attention span and time. Fuck.

Then usually by the time you get to the time you could enjoy your life you're so fucking burnt out and tired because of the shitty job you can't even enjoy it.

The first part of my weekend is just me trying to completely forget about work so I can actually relax.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Then usually by the time you get to the time you could enjoy your life you're so fucking burnt out and tired because of the shitty job you can't even enjoy it.

The first part of my weekend is just me trying to completely forget about work so I can actually relax.
Yep. It's really mentally taxing. The things I'd do to get rid of that feeling.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I don't get weekends since I'm a grocery supervisor. I only get either Saturday or Sunday off, not both together. The only good part of that is that I don't get the dread that I used to get before Mondays. I always get every Tuesday off, so Monday just means one day until I'm off.

I also like my job so that helps. Commute is only a 20 min drive. Way better than when I used to live in NYC and work was sometimes an hour subway ride away.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017

Yep. Depending on how far you are from your job the pre-work prep( waking up early enough, getting ready, commute) is a few hours *before* you start. Then the 8-10 hours or whatever days, then the commute home,dinner, family commitments if applicable. By the time you get any 'you' time your thoughts are probably along the lines of 'fuck, in 10 hours I gotta do this shit all over again' and 8 of those 10 you'll be sleeping. Way too much of the average persons life is consumed by work and the surroundings hours. No wonder people just despise the entire process and feel like you're on a hamster wheel.

Oct 27, 2017
Same. There's a bus strike over here, so I have to walk 15-20 minutes down to Oslo central station tomorrow, get on a train to the train station closest to work, and walk 30 minutes to get to work. Then taking more or less the same trip back home when done at work. Been doing that Monday to Friday this week, so I reeeeeaaaaaallly don't wanna do it again next week 😑😑

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I just accepted that I'll feel miserable every day.

This is where I'm at. Life can only be good for a select few, the rest of us just have to slum it out and find happiness where we can. I'm not one of the lucky few, so here I am. Living for media releases and days off.

Depressing but true.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yep, every other week I switch between days and nights, and the night shift is 12 hours from 4:30pm to 4:30am. When I get out of work I have a 30 minute drive home, eat "breakfast", take a shower and then I'm sleeping by 6am. I sleep until 1 or so (it's never enough) and then I'm back to work at 4:30pm so I have such limited time to get other things done. It's horrible.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
Same. There's a bus strike over here, so I have to walk 15-20 minutes down to Oslo central station tomorrow

Yeah bus strike and the weather is pretty miserable these days! I'm happy I still get to work from home pretty much daily, and I like my job just fine. But still, it's a job. I'd rather not work. I'd rather be rich. And never work again.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's an obligation, and you have to do it regardless whether you want to (and often on someone else's terms).

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah bus strike and the weather is pretty miserable these days! I'm happy I still get to work from home pretty much daily, and I like my job just fine. But still, it's a job. I'd rather not work. I'd rather be rich. And never work again.

Yeah, glad I got a lift from work on Friday. Walking 30 minutes in the rain from Fornebu to Lysaker, even with an umbrella, really didn't feel particularly tempting.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Eh commute sucks but since i get paid from the second i leave the house i don't really care.

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I hate going to work is when I'm sore or just tired. Going to work knowing all the heavy lifting and physical work I'm going to have to do sucks sometimes.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Working from home for the last 6 months has totally changed this attitude for me. Now I'm in a different kind of despair.

200.gif

Jul 1, 2020
I found that waking up earlier and having work be a part of my day instead of the reason I got out of bed improved my life dramatically.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
In the summer it isn't as bad, getting up with the sun shining upon you when you wake up, you get energy from the light, arrive at work before the heat etc

But then comes winter, your alarm goes what feels like just after your REM sleep, you wake up in total darkness, rain slams down on your window.

Half dead you make your breakfast and lunch and traverse the wet hellscape that awaits you.

Going to work in darkness and going home in it sucks, at least this year I can work from home.
Oh god I don't even want to think about wfh in the winter. It's not bad right now as my place gets plenty of sun in the mornings to at least make things tolerable at 7am, but with it light later, this is gonna absolutely kill me. At least I won't have to deal with the weather, but the lack of sun is gonna be absolute miserable in the morning.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

This is it for me. A large chunk of that 6 hours is divided between errands, choirs, and cooking. Really, there are only a few hours to unwind. It's kind of a miserable existence if you think long enough.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
WFH in the deep winter will suck. I separate work from fun with a ~1-2 hour park walk everyday. Might not be possible when it's 20-30F.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
The only time I hate going to work is early in the AM or during inclement weather. Swing schedules (noon time) are the greatest because I can sleep in. Seriously. I never set an alarm and I can even fit a workout in before the commute. I'd be home well before midnight to game and have a beer or two.
Indeed, waking up during the wee hours makes the experience a lot more miserable.