• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Xbox packaging doesn't even say it doesn't include a game on it. EDIT: Xbox version has a disc for Battle Royale mode which is a free download anyway.
8HEIoM6.png

So this doesn't even include Save the World mode. Literally just microtransactions in a physical game case. Many games sell microtransactions physically but they sell them as cards. Why doesn't Fortnite do the same as this?

FORTNITE deep freeze bundle

Last edited:

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty clever. Also, I don't think kids will think it's a new game, I think kids know exactly what that is.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
To make it appear more like a "real game", giving it shelf space alongside other "real games", thereby making it accessible to people who don't usually consider digital downloads their first method of playing games on their consoles. Even if that's what they're ultimately getting, they may not be making the same mental association at the time.

I remember being a really young kid (like 9 or so) and not understanding how to get this brand new Internet thing for my computer. I convinced my mom to buy an AOL box off the shelves at the computer store. Inside was a big guide book and a single floppy. This was even before the infamous free trials they would send out. At the time, software was something you bought in a box in a store. I just couldn't fathom anything else. But the AOL program was technically free at that time, and I was basically just paying for the book in the end, but yeah.

Weird and ancient anecdote, but I think it's a similar concept. Fortnite is reaching a massive audience, and this caters to familiarity and accessibility.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think consumers need to educate themselves before buying shit. There's literally nothing wrong with this as long as it is clearly marked.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
So this doesn't even include Save the World mode. Literally just microtransactions in a physical game case. Many games sell microtransactions physically but they sell them as cards. Why doesn't Fortnite do the same as this?
More visibility on shelves and tricking unsuspecting buyers.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly believe its just to trick uneducated parents/family members in to buying it for kids at Christmas not realising what it actually is. I think it'll work quite well too.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"DOWNLOAD CODE - NO GAME DISC INCLUDED"
"INTERNET REQUIRED"

How devious and deceptive of them.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it isn't clearly marked.
How much more clearly marked can it be lol?

I agree it's silly, but I don't think it's super wasteful. Those cases can come in super handy if you get a used game that's damaged or something. Plus, it makes gifting the game (which I imagine is a pretty big deal for Fortnite this holiday) a lot less lame.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Seems really wasteful / irresponsible since most people will just throw it in the garbage.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Wasn't the retail version of DuckTales Remastered just a code in a box? Truly Capcom is the root of all video game evil.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"how many parents will buy this thinking it's a game"

Gee, it's almost as if that's the point

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Because technically the Battle Royale game is included in all of these bundles.
That's pushing it, especially when there is an actual fortnite game(save the world) that costs money and this is not it. I actually almost bought this for my nephew because he's obsessed with fortnite and wanted save the world mode and I thought this was a bunch of skins and shit and save the world. I'm glad I read the fine print on back of the box that actually says does not include save the world.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, even if this was gifted to someone who already played Fortnite, they can still use it. It's not a game, it's DLC and some currency (and if I'm not mistaken, the DLC is actually exclusive to this bundle). I can't imagine anyone who receives this will be too annoyed.

lonnie413

Jul 9, 2018
The Xbox copy has a disc inside, just for BR I assume because the case says it doesn't include Save the World. Didn't check to see if this was contributed.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty clever. Also, I don't think kids will think it's a new game, I think kids know exactly what that is.

Following on this, it's certainly more for the parents than the kids. The kids know exactly what Fortnite is, parents and grandparents have no clue. It's easy to spot a game case along w/ everything else if you're a clueless adult, make it a gift card and i bet you'll have confused parents walking around the electronics area to no avail, leading to lost sales.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Saying it doesn't have a disc doesn't count as "clearly marked" to me. Someone seeing that would think it's a game, albeit a code for a download of one. And the Xbox One version doesn't even have that. It's wasteful as well.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I always kinda liked the idea of shipping this box copy.

It makes it easy for parents who aren't used to shopping for downloadable games and currencies.
Even if kids already play a lot of Fortnite, they still get the costumes and currency out of the present.
Also, it's an actual box that can be wrapped up and put underneath the Christmas tree. There's no joy in watching your kid open a gift card.

Deleted member 34611

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been said, but the Xbox version DOES come with a disc. I actually just traded it back into Amazon for half the purchase price.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Saying it doesn't have a disc doesn't count as "clearly marked" to me. Someone seeing that would think it's a game, albeit a code for a download of one. And the Xbox One version doesn't even have that. It's wasteful as well.
But...it's not as if you're being sold an incomplete product. Like, you're making the assumption that the person using this will at some point be hindered, when that's not the case. The game is free, and this is DLC for it. Even if it is confusing, it will generally just amount to the parent going "So you can still play the game, right? And this works for that game? Yes? Great."

I feel like it's making an issue where there isn't one.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I think consumers need to educate themselves before buying shit. There's literally nothing wrong with this as long as it is clearly marked.
Asking for consumers to be educated is basically asking them all to solve rocket science, perform open heart surgery, and find the cure for cancer all at the same time in under five minute with their eyes closed, a hand tied behind their back, and hopping on one toe.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Just place the card in something else and then have the child unwrap that? How hard is it to please your child that would apparently be devastated by a non-game box shaped gift.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This ain't nearly as bad as buying Everquest with the impression that you can play it offline.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Shelf space. A standard box is going to get more eyes than a small little card on a swivel rack with 100 other similar cards.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
More likely that kids will buy them - while they're in stores with parents etc. That's my guess. Or even parents may think "Oh, this is this Fortnite everybody plays, maybe I'll buy one for my kid".

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
When will this game die already smh
Why? Kids and millions other love the game, I don't like fortnite but I don't hate it like you clearly do.

It's not deceptive and gives some cool items for gifting purposes, it would have been good if they gave a disc but I guess epic cheaped out on the PS4 edition.

KoopaSwitch

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
"waste of plastic"

Complaining this is a "waste of plastic" because it comes with a download code vs. disc/cart is hilarious. Just force digital and no more "wasted" plastic at all. Problem solved.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Why? Kids and millions other love the game, I don't like fortnite but I don't hate it like you clearly do.

It's not deceptive and gives some cool items for gifting purposes, it would have been good if they gave a disc but I guess epic cheaped out on the PS4 edition.
Does the Xbox One version actually have a disc? Since that would be really weird considering the smaller audience and economies of scale.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They know what they're doing.

When I sold my Switch to a dad and he asked about games to download for his son, I mentioned "Warframe and Fortnite are two fun free games to download, Fortnite being more suited as a kid friendly game."

He replied back, "Fortnite is free? I saw the game case at Walmart and thought you had to buy it." I had to explain that those are merely cosmetics/skins and the game itself is free to download.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
And? Its clearly marked on the case what it is and kids don't care. It gets them skins + VBucks or just vbucks worth $30.
You're just not getting it.
Putting something that's not a game, into a game box, is specifically relying on the convention that there are games in game boxes.

You wouldn't write "go" on a red octagon sign and expect people to read it and not stop. You use conventions specifically to convey a message without the necessity to read it or activate deeper processes. When you misuse that convention, that's deceptive.