• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Watching G1 and Starscream would ready to betray Megs at the drop of a hat. He left Megatron to die numrous times and literally built an army to kill at least once. And not like he was good as a henchman, he would flee at the drop of a hat. It was really insulting to Soundwave and Shockwave who were beyond loyal. Shockwave literally sat by the phone for 3 million years waiting for Meg's call.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
In the comic he was exceptionally good at his job, the best flyer there was.
Also in the comic, Shockwave is stronger then Megatron and humiliates him when he judges that Megs is no longer effective as decepticon commander.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
There have been a couple versions of Starscream where he got kicked to the curb. Transformers Animated and Transformers Prime, spring to mind.

Also kind of Transformers Armada where he joined the Autobots, but that was perhaps the most un-Starscream portrayal of Starscream ever, and the show was hot garbage, so we'll not count that.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
If you getting your ass beat every week by the auto bots. You'd want a loser on the squad to at least make you feel better about yourself.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Robots in Disguise (IDW) Starscream is a rather intelligent and potent force, albeit still as Machiavellian as ever.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
"One day, you will lead the Decepticon armies. You will rule over them as you've always wanted and will have done so by crushing me beneath your heel. The right to lead is one that cannot be given, it must be taken. This is something I see before you. But not today. Today, the Decepticons are mine. You are mine. Understand that your time will come."

Star Parodier

Oct 28, 2017
Madison, WI
main-qimg-5b86ad55d4a08843554dc21a5f298620

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
In G1 cartoon? Megs is dumb and needs somebody to scapegoat, haha.

In other media, it gets more complicated.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did they name themselves Decepticons?

That is like screaming "we are the evil badguys"

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Because the cartoon wasn't exactly smartly written.

Other versions atleast play with that dynamic a bit. Prime is still GOAT, especially with those fucking heels.

3460a820181279aedb8ea0cf96f03bda.jpg

Bless Jose Lopez

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck comics

Shockwave always struck me a Juggeraut type, not grand plans. he just happy doing what he loves

The G1 comics are pretty much the basis for the franchise lol

Shockwave was happy while he thought Megatron was effective. He only took him out when he judged Megs failed bigtime.

MVzBUwb.png

Starscream avoiding point blank missiles:

yIp6wpC.png

Megatron regretful:

eSt8SPP.png

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020

I like the idea Megatron's just that powerful, he treats Starscream's attempts at pulling a move on him as impossible to the point of being laughable. Gotta have something to entertain you while you're in as stressful a role as leading the Decepticons!

Last edited:

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
I guess Starscream makes Megatron not become too complacent. If he lets screamer win, then he deserves to lose the leadership.

Also, Megatron probably also values ambition. Something that Soundwave, despite being far more competent, doesn't seem to care.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Watching G1 and Starscream would ready to betray Megs at the drop of a hat. He left Megatron to die numrous times and literally built an army to kill at least once. And not like he was good as a henchman, he would flee at the drop of a hat. It was really insulting to Soundwave and Shockwave who were beyond loyal. Shockwave literally sat by the phone for 3 million years waiting for Meg's call.

Doesn't Shockwave also want to betray Megatron but not out of ego but because he thinks he's the most logical choice.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Shockwave also want to betray Megatron but not out of ego but because he thinks he's the most logical choice.

In the G1 comic, yes, in the cartoon he is 1000% loyal. Although it's never so much a betrayal as it is cleaning up after Megatron's mess and then assuming command. See the first panel in post #19.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I always felt like starscream was someone that megs could get a W over.

he's always losing and failing to Optimus so why not keep an easy win around to constantly make yourself feel better.

Feb 24, 2018
In the G1 Cartoon, it's mostly "Keep your friends close (Soundwave) and keep your enemies closer (Starscream)", that Starscream is competent when not under pressure, he's the only Decepticon who knows any medicine and was a scientist (aka a geologists it seems) and I think Starscream amuses him, their is amusing thing cut from Starscream's Brigade was that after Megatron had kicked Starscream out on an island after the latest betryal, it was revealed Megatron had forgotten about it, he just needed time to steam off.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Transformers Animated Megatron kills starscream the first time starscream pulled anything

another reason why Animated is amazing

Jun 17, 2019
G1 Starscream is actually fairly smart and competent. I'm not sure how far you are in, but there's episodes that show that the guy does know his stuff. He's a scientist, shown to be a bit on the compassionate side (see Skyfire) and not to bad when it comes to working on actual good ideas. If his Ego wouldn't get in the way.

Meg's keeps him around, as with Soundwave, because he's actually good at dealing with the Seekers, and is smart and clever when he's not being an idiot. And had proven time and again to be actually fairly good at deceiving people. That's not even to mention what he does to Archeville.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Megatron appreciated that wildcard energy. At one point in their culture, Starscream was considered a legit genius. But Meggy's mistake was thinking that he could control the independence, wildness, and madness, and utilize it, instead of always being a toad and scorpion pain in his ass.

He wanted a Lancelot, but forgets that Lancelot betrays him and sleeps with his wife.

Nov 2, 2017
Real life history is filled with kings, emperors, and such, putting up with transparently self serving if not outright treasonous vassals

It's better to have the guy who you know is trying to screw you close by where you can watch him I guess

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Armada Starscream was one of the most powerful Decepticons and managed to earn Megatron's respect at the very end.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
My theory was always that there just weren't very many Decepticons around, so he needed everyone he could get on his side, even if they weren't trustworthy.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
G1 cartoon Starscream made little sense to keep around. He was pretty useless most the time. It was just a poorly written 80's cartoon to sell toys. Still a fun character to watch, and that voice..

After that his character gets fleshed out more. It seems Megs keeps him around to keep him on his toes. Starscream is pretty much the definition of a Decepticon.

And Armada Starscream is a totally different story. Check that stuff out if you haven't.

latest

BTW anyone know where I can watch Armada? Is it available anywhere or streaming?