• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Sometimes I see a general divide between EtcetEra and Gaming, but something must have led you here in the first place, right?

I post here because I grew up with forums and still like them better than reddit or what have you, and there aren't many left. And of course, gaming is my favorite hobby.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
When the internet came of age, so to speak, I grew fond of discussion boards. There are scant few these days. This one is the most active I am aware of with cool people on it. It just so happens to involve gaming. So here I is.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Because video games, went from the gaming side of hip hop message boards to GAF to here.

My forum posting life can be traced back to the Nas BBS message board on Columbia records website.

Funny enough, I was going to gamefaqs since those times as well but it took me years to realize they had a message board.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Playing videogames is my main pastime, and I've liked this type of fourm since becoming a regular on the IGN boards back in the mid 00's. I don't hang out a lot on the gaming side over here though, 'cause it seems less...progressive over there sometimes.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Because I cannot mention Dragon Quest anywhere else without people looking at me strangely.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I see a general divide between EtcetEra and Gaming, but something must have led you here in the first place, right?

I post here because I grew up with forums and still like them better than reddit or what have you, and there aren't many left. And of course, gaming is my favorite hobby.

Ditto. Started with the IGN forums when I was like 13 or 14 and migrated to Gaf and now here. I just enjoy the format much more than reddit or discord or twitch etc. it allows for much better conversations and you start to know who people are on here and what their views/perspective are. It's a very community like feeling and I will hopefully be on forums well into my old age.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know since I lost most of my interest in video games after GamerGate happened.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Because as a news aggregator and discussion board, it can't be beat. Plus I like seeing familiar faces, so even though Twitter is likely faster, I feel more comfortable with this place. :)

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I came here (or to the old place) to talk games since I played them so much.

I don't play nearly as much as I used to, but this place fills a whole when it comes to talking about so many different topics in a format that's better than social media or Reddit. I'm still on social media, but that's for other stuff.

I just like forums and of all the ones I've been on, this community is the only one that has lasted.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To keep up with current games, upcoming games, and talk about past ones. It's just something I have done since I first got the internet, especially since my real life friends are pretty casual about video games and don't follow the industry closely. I'm feeling an increasing generation gap on message boards like this, though.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Reddit is cesspit for politics discussion. Reddit is cesspit for any discussion frankly. Full of karma whores and cheap jokes, you really have to search for insightful comments. I also don't see any other place that has lightning quick responses to discussion and threads. Getting quoted is fun, almost a high of it's own.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was always drawn to forums on the internet growing up (mostly as a spectator instead of a poster) video games were my thing, Neogaf was the obvious place to go. And we all know what happened next.

These days I'm 90% in off topic though. And mostly stick around because of all the cool people in the sports OTs.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's a lightning fast news aggregator.
When the internet came of age, so to speak, I grew fond of discussion boards. There are scant few these days. This one is the most active I am aware of with cool people on it. It just so happens to involve gaming. So here I is.

Those two for me. It's a great source of news without the insane clutter that twitter entails and generally I am accustomed to message board format, while most of similar discussion groups moved to facebook groups and the likes

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
In 2014 I was interested in game development, and GAF seemed like a good community to get involved.
Also, I knew members of the Super Best Friends posted on GAF at the time (and do here as well) and as a rabid fan, I thought I could more easily talk to them there.
Now I only post in EtcetEra.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I like video games and this is pretty much the only video game-related forum I know of where I don't have to worry about reactionary idiots complaining about "forced diversity" and shit like that.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Forums are my fave of the internet communication tools. Faster moving and thought out with back and forth unlike comments or twitters or what have you, but with the ability to pause and reflect unlike more immediate chat or discord options.

As for Era came from GAF, went there for video games, stayed because I mostly like the community and it's fun watching half of you unable to cope with real life.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always used message boards and gaf one day showed up on some random google search. I have like 10 posts on the gaming section between here and gaf.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly here for the OT. This is one of the few communities which is (mostly) respectful and covers a (relatively) wide variety of topics. One of the best things about the forum though (as one poster pointed out in a thread) is its speed. It's a very fast moving busy forum. Don't see too many of those these days.