• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I loved my old computer. But I had to face up to the fact that, after 8 years, it was really struggling to run both Chrome and Discord at the same time, never mind the killer combo of Word + Chrome + Powerpoint + Mendeley + Clip Studio Paint + ApE (my thesis combo). It got me through all of grad school though and since it's the only computer I can play a 32 bit Mac games on, I'll be keeping it until it actually dies.

Nov 1, 2017
Having hobbies make for a fun and enjoyable life, and most of them involve buying things you don't necessarily need.

And there are so many more hobbies that are more expensive than playing new video games on a nice tv.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
I don't 'need' any new toys I buy. Helps me from getting bored though. Can't do much else right now with the pandemic either.

Buying a new console is relatively inexpensive considering how many years of use you get out of them as well. So the cost is really a non-factor, for me.

Oct 29, 2017
I wish people would stop buying things they don't really need, it's fucking up the planet. Maybe one day we can have a production and distribution based on clean energy and recycling, but we're not there.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't buy laptops and smartphones and consoles and electronic hardware stuff that often, maybe once every few years. Same thing with guitars, drum gear and other musical equipment like effects pedals and software. I really try to make do with what I have and not overspend on the "best of the best". There is an honest creativity and humbleness in enjoying life with limited resources IMO.

But I do enjoy buying videogames regularly to keep myself interested in the world of gaming and entertainment. Life sure is boring these days with not much to do outside of staying home and reading books and trying to stay fit/healthy on your own terms. Oh I miss watching movies in theaters (RIP to that hobby) and going to rock/metal concerts (RIP to that hobby as well).

I enjoy "shiny, new" experiences, really. Not necessarily "toys" or materialistic objects. I'll ride the same skateboard until the trucks falls off. Likewise, I don't mind driving an old car. If it ain't broken, I don't need a new one. I guess that's my philosophy lol.

Last edited:

kingsamj

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to participate in our society without some amount of shiny new toys. Computers and phones are necessary for most peoples' work, game consoles are (to a lesser degree) necessary to be part of the mainstream cultural moment.

That said, I try to avoid unnecessary upgrades and pointless hype for marginal improvements. I basically only buy new tech stuff when I feel like my current tech no longer works. So, phones only get replaced when they break/batteries die. No mid-cycle console refreshes. No 4K TV until my current 1080p TV (that I love!) breaks.

Nov 1, 2017
Wow, OP, did I seriously see you make a post about Hades and Disco Elysium? Why did you buy those games when there are a trillion games already out there? Did you really need either of them?

Deer

Oct 29, 2017
Sweden
I think about it all the time, because I think it's my duty as a citizen of the world to try to care more about how the way I live my life affects other people and our environment.

I try as best as I can to minimize my negative impact, but of course I also have the urge (particularly when I'm feeling down, or am stuck in a rut) to spend some money on something new.

I generally still try to think about how long the thing I'm buying will last and so I try to buy fewer things but of higher quality. Also, I really try to care for the things that I have so that they will last as long as they possibly can.

I've been trying to become better over the years when it comes to buying things second-hand, and lately there has been an increase in second-hand stores online which has made me really happy.

I still have an iPhone 5s and hopefully if will last me at least 5-10 more years. I've had it for 6 years now and soon I think I might need to change the battery, but I'm waiting because it still does what I need it to do.

We really do have to acknowledge that consumer habits are also a part of the degredation of our environment.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
And this is why we all would have higher quality of life if we lived minimal lifestyles like ancient Greeks, and used that money instead to better those in completely poor countries.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
We stand on the shoulders of giants.

New shinys stand on the shoulders of the old used-to-be-shiny and are therefore taller.

Hope that explains it.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I try to only buy new things when I need them. This year, I've bought a new computer and upgraded my phone. I've got no interest in either of the new consoles at this point in time.

The laptop was a refurbished ThinkPad P50 that I bought for $500. After some upgrades (1tb m.2 SSD/32GB RAM), it's a machine that is easily going to last me for years.

My phone is a Note 20. I wasn't planning on upgrading, but the Note 20 hit all of the things I want out of my phone and fixed a huge issue I was having with my Note 10.

I'm at a point in my life where I don't want the latest or greatest just to say I have it.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
for mental health

i own 7 bicycles of different types/purposes, 5 of which i built myself purchasing frame, components, etc. i love building bikes and maintaining them. it's got a zen factor for me.

i have spent thousands upon thousands of euros on them.

all because cycling has an immense impact on my mood. whether it's riding a fixie through my city streets and traffic, or taking a road bike out to the country side, or taking my mountain bike out into the forests/hills/mountains etc, i ride a bike at least once a day. i love it all.

so yeah mental health. and great for my fitness.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It feels good to get new stuff. It's a different kind of enjoyment than using stuff you've had plenty of time to become familiar with.

This isn't complicated. The effects of novelty on people's minds is well documented, and widely discussed and explored in society.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
My husband and I buy things because we work hard for our money and we enjoy the things we buy. We also sell everything once we no longer need/want it, like physical games, our older computer parts, older video game systems, etc.

We also don't buy new tech every year or participate in a "rat race" for anything. My husband and I both have "older" paid off cars (2010 and 2014), we use Galaxy S8 and buy reasonable clothing instead of that $500 limited edition paid of sneakers. We buy new things we want because it makes our experience doing things better.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes I have, iPhone 12 because my phone is broken. I would have stuck with my current phone otherwise. PS5 because I love gaming and the systems barely drop in price anymore, rather get it at launch and enjoy it as much as I can for the whole generation. Selling my current machine helps.

If I make some big purchases I tend to downsize on others by selling stuff I don't use much. I don't have a problem spending money on things that's are genuinely useful and that i really enjoy. iPhone and PS5 would fit the bill.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
One needs to treat themselves once in a while and uhh because like Shiny new toys.

*Looks at fridge that plays icecube songs*

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
for mental health

i own 7 bicycles of different types/purposes, 5 of which i built myself purchasing frame, components, etc. i love building bikes and maintaining them. it's got a zen factor for me.

i have spent thousands upon thousands of euros on them.

all because cycling has an immense impact on my mood. whether it's riding a fixie through my city streets and traffic, or taking a road bike out to the country side, or taking my mountain bike out into the forests/hills/mountains etc, i ride a bike at least once a day. i love it all.

so yeah mental health. and great for my fitness.

That's awesome. And a good skill to have!

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of topic frustrates me tbh. We are floating around on a celestial spec of dust, and live and die within the blink of a universal eye. No one needs anything that you mentioned, but why stop there, I could live in a tent and forage for berries, drink from the river. Who needs books, i'll just read the universal book of the stars above my head, or count the grains of sand on a beach for entertainment. Or maybe i'll just meditate to the point that I no longer have wants and desires, or the need for entertainment. Then when I die, my untethered life-force will transcend higher into the upper planes of existence, since I lived such a wholesome lifestyle unburdened by all those ordinary worldly belongings such as an iPhone 12 Pro Max in Pacific Blue™, or a Microsoft Xbox Series X ™. Because I never really needed those anyway.

Or not since it means fuck all when they cast my body to the dirt, there is no difference between the weight of our souls, because we have none. My life is finite and I'm gonna fill it with whatever makes it most enjoyable. Im buying a PS5 since I wanna spend dumb hours playing Sackboy's Big Adventure with my girlfriend, and playing Spider-man because who the fuck cares. If you wanna toil away in life and scrimp around then you do you, but it irritates me when people throw around their pseudo enlightened superiority like everyone else is some mental troglodyte.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of topic frustrates me tbh. We are floating around on a celestial spec of dust, and live and die within the blink of a universal eye. No one needs anything that you mentioned, but why stop there, I could live in a tent and forage for berries, drink from the river. Who needs books, il just read the universal book of the stars above my head, or count the grains of sand on a beach for entertainment. Or maybe il just meditate to the point that I no longer have wants and desires, or the need for entertainment. Then when I die, my untethered life-force will transcend higher into the upper planes of existence, since I lived such a wholesome lifestyle unburdened by all those ordinary worldly belongings such as an iPhone 12 Pro Max in pacific blue™, or a Microsoft Xbox Series X ™. Because I never really needed those anyway.

Or not since it means fuck all when they cast my body to the dirt, there is no difference between the weight of our souls, because we have none. My life is finite and I'm gonna fill it with whatever makes it most enjoyable. Im buying a PS5 since I wanna spend dumb hours playing Sackboy's Big Adventure with my girlfriend, and playing Spider-man because who the fuck cares. If you wanna toil away in life and scrimp around then you do you, but it irritates me when people throw around their pseudo enlightened superiority like everyone else is some mental troglodyte.

This post is so rad I love it lol.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This kind of topic frustrates me tbh. We are floating around on a celestial spec of dust, and live and die within the blink of a universal eye. No one needs anything that you mentioned, but why stop there, I could live in a tent and forage for berries, drink from the river. Who needs books, i'll just read the universal book of the stars above my head, or count the grains of sand on a beach for entertainment. Or maybe i'll just meditate to the point that I no longer have wants and desires, or the need for entertainment. Then when I die, my untethered life-force will transcend higher into the upper planes of existence, since I lived such a wholesome lifestyle unburdened by all those ordinary worldly belongings such as an iPhone 12 Pro Max in Pacific Blue™, or a Microsoft Xbox Series X ™. Because I never really needed those anyway.

Understandable. But we also have a lot of people on this site that keep saying we need to do more for the environment, or are always complaining about having to live paycheck to paycheck, which is at odds with always buying the new shiny toy. I'm assuming they're different people, as this site does have quite a lot of members. I'd hope they're different people anyway, otherwise I wouldn't take anything they say seriously ever again.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

giphy.gif

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I get this asked a bunch with expensive hobbies, and it's really quite simple.

Life is short and our free time to enjoy it even shorter. I don't have a tremendous amount of opportunity to really dig into a new hobby, a passion, an interest - to sit down and watch a movie, to learn to cook, to get creative. And so if I have the means, why wouldn't I rather enjoy those fleeting moments of doing fun thins with the "best?" If I'm going to take photos, I'd rather have the best camera. If I'm going to play computer games, I'd like to enjoy them with all the bells and whistles. If I'm going to cook, I'd rather have the oven that keeps temp or the pots and pans that make the task more enjoyable. I use my phone hours every day - of course I'd rather have the best battery life, the best screen, and the best performance.

Do I need it? Of course not. But why settle with the average or grow frustrated with the old and broken if you have the (very fortunate) means to enjoy things at their peak, or at least closer to it?

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I try to be discerning with the things I purchase and my partner, and family all seem to think I should just treat myself more frequently instead of saving so much when "you can't take it with you". I enjoy the peace of mind that comes with having a comfortable amount of savings and investments so I don't feel stressed when crazy shit happens (like a pandemic). I enjoy buying things that I feel add to my quality of life, and the ease of which I can make it through the day. Things that make work and chores more efficient, and then things that help me to relax. I'm generally quite frugal with my hobbies, etc., and would count fitness and cooking among my hobbies, but there are still "new shinies" to purchase even just related to lifting weights, doing yoga, or cooking. I treated myself to a new frying pan a few months ago and it has made cooking much more enjoyable because my old pan was contributing to frustration in an activity that I normally find enjoyable.

I apply the same logic to most of my purchases; it needs to replace or supplement something I already have, and make a tangible difference in my user experience / daily life. My Mac mini is ten years old. My ipad is four years old. My iPhone is five years old. My truck is ten years old. My truck likely has a few more years of reliability in it. My ipad pro is perfectly functional. My PS4 still has some games left to play before I sell it and eventually buy a PS5. My iPhone 6S is a flaming pile of garbage at this point, and I'm upgrading to a shiny new 12 Pro.

I try to maximize the value I get out of things by using them until they aren't functionally worth anything to me anymore. I generally run things into the ground unless I can recoup a reasonable amount of value selling it to upgrade. It isn't because I don't like the idea of a new shiny; I just don't tend to find them worth it if the upgrades come too quickly. If the depreciation is too much for me to swallow then I don't feel like I'm respecting the amount of work I put into making the money it took to buy the shiny I already have. I'd rather be frugal and be able to afford experiences with my partner, or treating her to something nice, and work towards retiring a little sooner because I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything otherwise by not having the latest and greatest. It's nice to want to be environmentally conscious, etc. but I can't blame anyone for wanting to treat themselves to things when the planet is basically already fucked, and we can't turn the tide at an individual level when governments allow corporations to run roughshod however they like.

If I just want something, I wait a few weeks. It usually turns out I didn't actually want it enough to pay for it.
Basically this.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I need that PS5 to play Demon's Souls. You're right though, I don't need that Xbox Series X, I already have a PC.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
I try to make my decisions as a trade, don't do this so buy this. Or don't buy this and do this.

I bough a Oculus Quest, but forced myself to sell of some older games. At the end of the day I feel that it's easy to spend money but hard to get rid of stuff, so if I do both it balances out.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017

This is the kind of thinking I need more in my life. I've saved enough to be comfortable even with a lower paying job and I always have to justify anything I purchase whether it's a meal out or entertainment. I've been diligent. I've been working hard. Fuck it, I should buy Hades, re-up my FFXIV subscription, and get myself a PS5 as a graduation gift.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Because I'm bored and can barely go anywhere thanks to America being too dumb to get COVID under any control