• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oct 29, 2017
First movie is a fun adventure. Don't care at all for the universe at large and I think the series got too far up its own ass already with Empire, despite that being a good movie.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space fantasy is better than regular Sci fi and regular fantasy.

Also the Senate scenes gripped me as a kid.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's a classic and timeless story told with unforgettable characters and quite possibly the greatest musical score ever composed for film set in a completely unique universe that is still unique to this day.

I will never not be in awe at the imagination on display, nor can I properly convey the effect it has had on me as a person.

It sparked my passion and desire to become a storyteller, and even though it sounds silly and stupid, my dream is to one day create something as good as Star Wars.

I've had this dream ever since I was 6 years old, when I watched the original trilogy for the first time. It's a dream I still have now. All thanks to that galaxy far far away...

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Space fantasy is better than regular Sci fi and regular fantasy.

Also the Senate scenes gripped me as a kid.
Curious. What makes Star Wars fantasy instead of the sci-fi? It is the Force nonsense?

It's the only semi futuristic (yeah I know about the long time ago stuff lol) series I heard where the fantasy genre is used to defined it

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
also like, in the 80s - we had no other options - you didn't have a ton of channels and movies. VHS was still expensive many times.

My first ever glimpse of SW was like when I was 3-4, and the movie was airing on broadcast TV and my mom's extended family was all in the basement watching it.

the first time I got to watch the whole movie, it was a VHS rental from the library.

now within years we had marathons on TBS and VHS was ubiquitous, but we didn't have Marvel CInematic universe or anything. Having Star Trek: The Next Generation and a few other shows and movies was all sci-fi nerds really had outside of books and comics.

There was a time where the A-List talent would turn their nose up at sci-fi stuff (Star Wars was an exception), instead of the present-day universe where the A-Listers appear in comic series and Star Wars and fantasy.

Anyways, Star Wars is USDA Prime fantasy/sci-fi special effects entertainment, and it was better than anything else out there. Maybe now there are many other options of similar quality...

And I'm a youngin. people 15-20 years older than me experienced ANH in theatres and if you talk to them about it, it was the most mind-blowing thing they had ever seen at the time.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jedi vs Sith balancing the force but I guess thats out of the question now that Luke acted like a bitch.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cuz it's fun to watch people passionately yell at each other about it on the internet

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Good to see the blasts from the past in the recent Starwars but it's an old ass series that should be put to rest. Developers and directors are really digging into the series lore and are smart enough to figure out what should make the screen or not and more power to them.

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I like how soapy and larger than life the story feels. Everything is huge and dramatic, and I really vibe with it.
Also, I really enjoy fantasy and seeing all the weird creatures and droids.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
To me personally, it feels like one of the only blockbuster franchised (at least currently) that actually means something. When you boil each Star Wars movie down to its core, each one is about hope and faith and perserverence. In Star Wars, events don't happen simply to further the plot (like in most other franchises), but also to achieve that sense of hope and wonder.

Maybe other people don't take that much away from these movies, but I certainly do.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious. What makes Star Wars fantasy instead of the sci-fi? It is the Force nonsense?

It's the only semi futuristic (yeah I know about the long time ago stuff lol) series I heard where the fantasy genre is used to defined it

Star Wars doesn't actually care about the tech aspect, that's all window dressing. The core of the story is light vs dark, good wizards vs bad wizards, etc.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Solo really harmed the franchise in my eyes. What a trainwreck, it is embarassing. It came across as a high budget fanfic.

For one, Star Wars is not set in the future.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
It's all about the imagination and the room to dream it gave me. I was born after the OT came out so I grew up with that trilogy. Pretty sure RotJ is one of my earliest memories (the Luke/Rancor scene in particular). I still love it to this day (the whole saga), and anticipate new movies coming out, but my tastes have shifted as I've gotten older. I appreciate more now for how it inspires people and especially children. I'm very happy that for multiple generations this series has had a profoundly positive effect on people.

I've definitely noticed a certain amount of fracturing among the fanbase, but if you look at kids, they just love the whole thing and that's incredible.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
It's lighthearted and fun and makes me feel like a kid. Also, I like funny muppety things.

The Flop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One word: Ewoks. The best and only thing worthwhile to come out of the franchise since it gave us this spin off movie: !

MV5BZjMwOGVlYzgtOGRiMi00NTM1LTgwZDgtZjIwOGIwNWQ2NTk1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQzNDI3NzY@._V1_.jpg

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But there ain no sith no more, Kylo Ren dont consider himself a Sith.

The balance of the Force is about keeping the dark side from growing and spreading inordinately like a cancer. There are natural light and dark elements to the Force, but dark side Force users abuse it and upset the natural balance (a better word might be harmony) by trying to control the Force for their own personal gain.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you can't watch this and have a big child like smile on your face I honestly feel bad for you. Star Wars makes me feel just simple joy like little else in the world is able to do.

Watching this just puts a big damn grin on my face. Every single time.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original movie is my favorite of all time. Fantastic technical elements came together with elemental storytelling that strikes a chord in a deep part of my mind. They really just hit lightning in a bottle with the mix of artists, designers, sound people, musicians, and performers that were established for that first movie and carried it forward. There haven't been any great movies after the first two, but Star Wars still maintains a palpable sense of fun that's not found in a lot of other movies/franchises.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The balance of the Force is about keeping the dark side from growing and spreading inordinately like a cancer. There are natural light and dark elements to the Force, but dark side Force users abuse it and upset the natural balance (a better word might be harmony) by trying to control the Force for their own personal gain.
I am very interested in the next movie particularly for this reason, I want to see where Kylo ends up or Rey, maybe it will be awesome, exciting times.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
To sort of paraphrase and elaborate on what said in an AotC thread...

It's comfort food for me. Growing up with the OT, it was everything for me and the people immediately around me... friends, cousins, whatever... anyone around the same age. Not one of us ever failed to pick up a stick and pretend to be Luke Skywalker at some point.

Good or bad, it never fails to transport me back to what is what like to be that kid. The imagination, the sense of wonder, the innocence. Just a feeling of joy.

Escapism if you will. It's as simple as that.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
If you can't watch this and have a big child like smile on your face I honestly feel bad for you. Star Wars makes me feel just simple joy like little else in the world is able to do.

Watching this just puts a big damn grin on my face. Every single time.

I've said this before but while watching that in the theater, I actually leaned over to my sister and said, "this is fucking badass". It's the first time I've seen something so badass that in that moment I had to express just how badass it was.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pew pew woosh wow these guys look cool kaboom wow this cockpit scene is intense

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this before but while watching that in the theater, I actually leaned over to my sister and said, "this is fucking badass". It's the first time I've seen something so badass that in that moment I had to express just how badass it was.
Yep. When I saw it I was thinking the same thing. I can't wrap my head around watching that scene and nitpicking it. That mindset is just impossible for me to comprehend. It is just pure pulpy space opera fun.

Oct 31, 2017
George Lucas's Star Wars films are visually arresting. They are modern parables executed in a manner that is accessible and able to be communicated across cultural/language barriers.

They are simple at first blush, but have deeper meaning/insight, especially the Prequels.

They are cautionary tales of 'trauma in the home produces trauma in the court'. The Prequel films are meta-commentary on the impact of big budget, easily consumed, superficially understood pop culture and the impact that has on a culture. They are critiques of American Culture in a post-Star Wars landscape, in the sense that the original Star Wars films were a direct warning of American Fascism/Totalitarianism, while the Prequels are about how Star Wars itself plays a key part in the facilitation of a cultures slide into fascism; the very thing that George Lucas attempted to challenge with the original Star Wars films.

Last edited:

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Palpatine.

Spoilers obviously. But this man is the greatest Star Wars character imo. He is the cause of everything and it's incredible.

Dec 22, 2017
No other series has been able to match the pulpy adventure and "used future" universe that Star Wars does. It's like the wartime, remote outpost bar from Casablanca mixed with sci-fi.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
soundtrack.

Also i hate Luke, but love Obi-Wan.
But really, dat soundtrack. Everything else is secondary.

Dec 12, 2017
When I was a kid, after seeing ROTJ, Star Wars was special to me because of all the things it could have become.

Now it is unremarkable to me for what it has become.

Massive universe kept teeny tiny. What a waste.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Personally:

• Lightsabers
  • The never ending cycle where force powers essentially codify and accelerate said process. A tale of change where more things change the more they stay the same.

On a grander scale:

• It speaks to the human capacity for merchandising despots/dictators/mass murderers and loving them because they dress better, speak to our baser desires and have the capacity for momentary acts of redemption.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I was introduced to the Toys by my Grandparents Neighbours Kid, it was my earliest Childhood Memory, I was 2 & 1/2yrs old and I stayed at my Grandparents house for a few days or so, whilst my Mum was in hospital having my Sister.

This would be feb 1985, we played on his front lawn he had AT-ST toys, The Rancor, tons of the figures, more ships I was fascinated with them all and was upset when my nan called me back in for the night

He the rebel transport ship which he lent to me for a few days stuffed with figures to take into my nans house toborrow for a few days.

I never forgot that daynd so everytime after that fateful few days, everytime I'd go to my nans I'd ask to play with the neighbours toys, of course sometimes he wouldn't be there he was about 4 or 5 yrs older than me so hekd be in school or away and I got upset everytime, soon enough my Nan bought me, well just a overwhelming amount of the Toys over the next few years practically every week I got a new Star Wars toy.

I eventually saw the movies a few years later my dad rented them as he loved them and he knew I loved the toys, whilst I watched them, taking in images all the flashy laser swords, ships, monsters etc I was a child with a very short Attention span, so whilst I knew I liked them, it was still the toys that got me hooked and I'd make up my own stories with them

Of course with Star Wars being so popular there was Hardly Kid I met that didn't also have Star Wars toys as it really was the "In thing" even as it was going out of fashion post 86/87 it meant all the toys dropped in price and so we had more bought for us, every kid I knew had at least 2-3 ships and at least 10 or more figures, a lot of the time different to my own, so we would combine them and have massive Star Wars adventures.

Evertime Star Wars came on TV also I'd watch it since my dad always put it on and I liked the universe, so I'd part watch my toys come to life.

Fast forward to 1995 I was 13yrs old, no one then at that age I knew bar one or two kids would admit to liking Star Wars, it was uncool at that point, but I didn't care I kind of still liked it so I bought the tapes that came out, at this point I had seen the films so many times it was nice to finally own them on VHS instead of the ones taped off TV.

Then when I turned 15 I gave away my figures to my Cousin (damn) feeling I was too old for them but liked the films that was ok, and in 1997 the same year lo & behold the films got re-released into the cinema but I never went cos I thought whats the point, I own them on Video Tape and they ar always on TV.

In 1999 I saw the Phantom Menace around my 17th Birthday & I liked it, sure it had a lot of boring stuff but overall enjoyed it, not as much as the OT, but I never hated the Prequels.

When Lucas announced the sale to disney & episode 7, holy shit my interest pesked again, I believe it was on Halloween and I practically forgot it was Halloween that year, I spent all day hyped by Star Wars again.

I saw every single movie since TPM in the cinema except Solo (now Regret that)

TLDR - it mostly came down to the Toys first and the great Sci-Fi Fantasy adveture with the coolest Laser Swords and Ships ever.

Oct 27, 2017
Han Solo was by far my favorite in the OT when I was a kid. I loved his attitude and charm. Also the fantasy, heroism, and light sabers.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Luke is probably my favorite character. I love the entire story of the Skywalker saga. The Phantom Menace was the first movie I ever saw in the movie theaters.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Nostalgia maybe. How I feel when I watch Star Wars is completely taken away on an epic journey. The force, lightsabers, epic space battles, the music, it's all just very cool and unique to me. Every movie besides Solo has really touched me in some way at points.

I saw Star Wars when I was six years old 33 years ago.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It has lost a lot and will continue to as Disney continues to milk it.
Its all a matter of opinion. I, like a lot here, think The Last Jedi is the best film in the franchise since ESB. Everyone's looking for different things. Some people grow out of things. I am just happy to be one with more optimistic feelings towards the films.

Damonnight

Aug 19, 2018
Never watched Star Wars before i saw the Last Jedi. What an absolute masterpiece. I should really get to watching the rest soon.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Its all a matter of opinion. I, like a lot here, think The Last Jedi is the best film in the franchise since ESB. Everyone's looking for different things. Some people grow out of things. I am just happy to be one with more optimistic feelings towards the films.

I enjoyed the newer movies, but they're missing a spark that made the Original Trilogy so special and reek of mass marketing/greed.

Too many of them have also been released in a short period.