• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I love how naturally kind natured he is while having a low key ferocity inside that he'd eventually have to contend with.

Talented as he was, his greatest acts were in nonviolence.

Love him in both the OT as well as The Last Jedi. Favorite Star Wars character since I was like 7.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
He's literally so perfect as an example of the hero's journey that he is the first example used in screenwriting 101

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
He's the heart of my favorite movie franchise, Mark Hamill is a treasure
Hamill was so good in the OT trilogy.

There are way too many anti-heroes, Han Solos, in most modern movies. To the point where now I am a little bored of it.

But Hamill played it straight and his depiction of the hero's journey is one of the best you will find in any film. It is such an earnest character and everyone buys in because of how great Hamill was in that performance.

Sean Astin and co. tried it in Lord of the Ring, and while overall the trilogy was an astounding success, I don't think any character with maybe the exception of Aragon pulls it off as well as Luke did in the OG trilogy.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Hamill is just such a treasure. He's a huge nerd and if he wasn't in the movie he'd totally be a Star Wars fan boy. :)

I still remember the day my mom took me out of school for the day so I could go see Mark give a local QnA. And it solidified him in my mind as the ultimate hero...just a goddamn treasure.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

There are way too many anti-heroes, Han Solos, in most modern movies. To the point where now I am a little bored of it.

But Hamill played it straight and his depiction of the hero's journey is one of the best you will find in any film. It is such an earnest character and everyone buys in because of how great Hamill was in that performance.

Sean Astin and co. tried it in Lord of the Ring, and while overall the trilogy was an astounding success, I don't think any character with maybe the exception of Aragon pulls it off as well as Luke did in the OG trilogy.

Frodo, my guy. That's my favorite character in the LOTR. Aragorn is the cool, tough, heroic guy. Frodo and Sam are just Hobbits whose great strength comes from within, with qualities like mercy and compassion, not physical prowess.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Frodo, my guy. That's my favorite character in the LOTR. Aragorn is the cool, tough, heroic guy. Frodo and Sam are just Hobbits whose great strength comes from within, with qualities like mercy and compassion, not physical prowess.
Frodo and Aragorn were pretty great in those movies. I didn't find Sam's character to be as believable. Though to be fair to Astin the way that character is written is a tough one to pull off.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Because I was born in 1974 and if I had to guess as I do not remember exactly, I saw Star Wars for the first time around 78-79, so yeah, I fucking loved Luke because I was a kid.
Really is very simple.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
He's the most relatable as a viewpoint character. As he starts to care more about the Force and about the big picture, the viewer does too. Our investment in the struggle in light and dark is channeled through him. It's what makes his moment of triumph over temptation in ROTJ so compelling.

And likewise why people were so torn up about Punished Luke in TLJ. To know that this viewpoint character that we internalized as being like to us went on to have a life marred by failure and regret is painful.

I'm not sure it was the best decision artistically for that reason, even if Luke finds himself in the end. The audience disappointment is impossible to shake.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I'm not sure it was the best decision artistically for that reason, even if Luke finds himself in the end. The audience disappointment is impossible to shake.
I'd say artistically it was a great decision because being that kind of character in the audience's eye makes him the perfect conduit for an exploration of the weight we place on people and their supposed legacies. I don't know why a reaction from part of the audience should factor into that.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to be him as a kid, hell I guess I still do.

I think his canon story from the OT to the ST and the stuff going on in between is just a fun story to be invested in. His perception to the Jedi, the force, and how he handles situations changing over the years shows a great character arc and the people behind it are not afraid to show that he isn't perfect but can still give people hope.

I know people say you should never meet your heroes but I really want to meet Mark Hamill one day.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
30 years later he stood over his sleeping teenage nephew and turned on the lightsaber thinking he might murder a kid in his sleep because bad stuff might happen.

Honestly, my only real gripe with TLJ.
I have zero problem with that. Dark thoughts happen to everyone, and it was just that, a thought, not an action.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I have zero problem with that. Dark thoughts happen to everyone, and it was just that, a thought, not an action.
Standing over someone with a weapon and loading/raising/aiming it isn't a thought, its an action. From the same guy who's singularly most heroic act was casting down his weapon over a defenseless antagonist and allowing himself to be tortured rather than commit that act of violence.

Luke the failure who has disconnected himself was a bold but defendable artistic choice. Having Luke point loaded guns at sleeping kids is not.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Standing over someone with a weapon and loading/raising/aiming it isn't a thought, its an action. From the same guy who's singularly most heroic act was casting down his weapon over a defenseless antagonist and allowing himself to be tortured rather than commit that act of violence.

Luke the failure who has disconnected himself was a bold but defendable artistic choice. Having Luke point loaded guns at sleeping kids is not.

As he specifically stated, it was pure instinct. He had a terrible Force Vision and instinctually ignited his saber, the emotion passed and he was preparing to shut if off when Kylo saw him.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

tenor.gif

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
As he specifically stated, it was pure instinct. He had a terrible Force Vision and instinctually ignited his saber, the emotion passed and he was preparing to shut if off when Kylo saw him.
I think that the fact that they felt the need to write in that pretty ham-fisted explanation and have the character deliver it is an indication that it really doesn't work as depicted- which is problematic, don't you think?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luke saw the good in his father even when everyone else said he was lost. Obi-Wan, Yoda all said it was too late. Vader had to be killed. Luke was a simple farmboy who had no idea of the Galaxy at large. Hell he was ready to join the Empire just to get away from Tatooine but then destiny called him to a higher purpose.

Its very easy to see yourself in Luke. He is a basic kid who just wanted more from life.

OP
OP
BossAttack

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I think that the fact that they felt the need to write in that pretty ham-fisted explanation and have the character deliver it is an indication that it really doesn't work as depicted- which is problematic, don't you think?

No, because it's not ham-fisted. It's what happened. The whole point is that its a tragedy over a matter of perspective. From Kylo's point of view he sees Luke standing over him, ready to kill, premeditated. From Luke's unfiltered POV, we see it was simply a big misunderstanding but he's never allowed to explain this to Kylo. When he awakens his temple is burnt to the ground, his student's slaughtered, and Kylo off to join Snoke.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
This question is based on a flawed premise that the explanation is for a fact ham fisted, and that it being in the film is an indication of Luke's characterization being poor, like people should never use dialogue to discuss their characters' behaviour or something? I personally don't find it ham fisted at all. As someone who grew up with Star Wars and who idolized Luke for a time, this depiction of a legend who was seen so highly still being just as human as ever, and having to cope with that dissonance between man and legend, is what got me invested in the character and the franchise again. I find it the opposite of problematic. For me it was a clever interpetation of Luke's already-existing character traits. It was keeping him human; it was choosing not to reduce him to the saccharine Disney prince charming ass Saturday morning cartoon hero that he had become by the end of the OT for the rest of his life.

People might call it a regression but that also comes from a presumption that Luke has for a fact permanently overcome certain character traits in RotJ. I personally find the arguments in favor of that to not be very compelling or even well-corroborated in the actual story, if at all. The opposite is undeniably canon, though... well, until someone releases some novel or comic book or something that shows how Palpatine was actually corrupting Luke's mind to make him murderous in order to complete Ben's turn to the Dark Side, because of course Star Wars would do that. But for me? It makes total sense, now that this Galaxy has expanded so far past that original story, that Luke didn't become a Jedi god and that he actually still struggled with his flaws and temptations on occasion. And I could see that one time he could fall especially hard in that regard, and it could be something he might not be able to undo or take back. That's real and I relate to him now even harder than I used to, and it's still for the same reason: that he is a character struggling through those flaws to reach the next level. It just requires taking the dude off the pedestal.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
He's the good guy who fights the bad guys with a laser sword and magic.
Yeah, like, what more do you really need? He was a fun character from my childhood that I've gotten to see get developed and iterated upon over the course of my life. It was really interesting to see him go from being the whiny, pathetic kid thrown into things to being crotchety, done-with-this-shit old man thrown into things.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I think the movie would be much stronger if Luke simply gave up on Ben and told him he couldn't train him any more, that there was too much darkness and the risk too great- and that this push away precipitated the fall of Kylo. That's a classic Jedi foible and Luke repeating it would reinforce the error of his conviction in the Jedi without completely destroying every bit of character work that the OT did on Luke.
Good God, I would laugh my ass off if Kylo killed his family, and blew up 5 whole planets, because his uncle expelled him from Jedi High.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Luke is Star Wars. PT and ST both have proven this true. I feel TLJ was a nice sendoff to his character, he essentially plays the role Yoda filled in episodes 5 and 6. My only criticism is his arc should have happened in TFA to allow him more time to unite with Leia/Han in TLJ.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I think Luke was a perfect sidekick to the greatest hero of Star Wars. Luke did a lot of the heavy lifting to clear the road blocks put in his way and they made a really dynamic team together. I think that's why I like Luke, he was a good person who had a decent head on his shoulders. He was willing to help out an enslaved warrior and aid him on his mission to save the galaxy, even though it cost him so much along the way. I also think that it's pretty cool they were able to develop and flesh out a side character as robustly as they did with Luke.

In the Luke ended up getting all the credit, but we all know he's a good kid and we can all agree he had been through enough. I could see why our humble hero of this story would allow Luke to take the credit. He never really had been in it for glory, or princesses, or medals anyways, he saves the galaxy because it's the good and right thing to do. Hes very Goku/Mr. Satan that way.

No one else in Star Wars, except maybe Clone Wars Anakin, aided him on his mission as much as Luke had. That is until he turned coats.

So yeah, I would say I like Luke Skywalker.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I think Luke was a perfect sidekick to the greatest hero of Star Wars. Luke did a lot of the heavy lifting to clear the road blocks put in his way and they made a really dynamic team together. I think that's why I like Luke, he was a good person who had a decent head on his shoulders. He was willing to help out an enslaved warrior and aid him on his mission to save the galaxy, even though it cost him so much along the way. I also think that it's pretty cool they were able to develop and flesh out a side character as robustly as they did with Luke.

In the Luke ended up getting all the credit, but we all know he's a good kid and we can all agree he had been through enough. I could see why our humble hero of this story would allow Luke to take the credit. He never really had been in it for glory, or princesses, or medals anyways, he saves the galaxy because it's the good and right thing to do. Hes very Goku/Mr. Satan that way.

No one else in Star Wars, except maybe Clone Wars Anakin, aided him on his mission as much as Luke had. That is until he turned coats.

So yeah, I would say I like Luke Skywalker.
This entire post just made me realize just how much I hate R2 outside of the original trilogy...

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
This entire post just made me realize just how much I hate R2 outside of the original trilogy...
He's crucial, and at his most powerful, in the prequels. I don't mind him slaying battle droids or flying. I'm pretty upset with how JJ used, or rather, failed to use him. People want to talk about character betrayals.

I absolutely love the scene of Luke meeting him in TLJ, but I can never remember if it's actually in the movie. It's brief, but it's fantastic.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's crucial, and at his most powerful, in the prequels. I don't mind him slaying battle droids or flying. I'm pretty upset with how JJ used, or rather, failed to use him. People want to talk about character betrayals.

I absolutely love the scene of Luke meeting him in TLJ, but I can never remember if it's actually in the movie. It's brief, but it's fantastic.
The Droid stuff and how they were used was an abomination.. Poe Damerons droid somehow becomes Reys droid by the end of the 3 movies. Meanwhile the Skywalker family Droids who Rey now identifies as is just nowhere to be seen.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because I came to the franchise much later, but I found him very (understandably) bog-standard and didn't take note of him at all, honestly. It wasn't until TLJ that I found him to be a much more interesting character.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Luke is Star Wars it's not hard to grasp.

This

I love the OT and many characters across the years, but I wanted to be Luke as a kid.

Scenes with Luke and anything from the OT hit me hard in the newer stuff. I watched the OT with my dad when I was little, and he died before any of the prequels came out. He loved Star Wars.

Seeing Luke show up in the Mandalorian was exhilarating and painful at the same time...
, but I think Luke is definitely my favorite character. The moment I saw the dual sunset in a New Hope, along with the music, is forever seared into my mind. That moment with Luke is literally Star Wars for me.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Mark Hamill is hot. First crush I ever had on an actor, helped me discover my sexuality (which has evolved from bi to pan to omni over the years) and I still think he's pretty good looking.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I like Luke because he's a complex hero. He takes the elements of a cookie cutter protagonist and mixes them up in interesting ways, while still hitting the major notes of a heroic character.

Luke is destined to be a hero from humble beginnings, yet that destiny includes the pull of the Dark Side. He has inherited not only his father's strength in the Force, but also his headstrong and rebellious nature, and his fateful ties to the heart of the battle for galactic liberty.

In his youth, Luke is a typical hero in many ways: daring, charismatic, capable -- and prone to rushing headlong into trouble, regardless of the risks. He does the right thing even if he has to charge into the lion's den, and quite often, that's exactly how he tries to solve his problems or fight a foe.

What gives Luke dimension as a hero is that his conflicts are personal and enduring. His relationship with power is a struggle against temptation; the seduction of the easy path to victory. All Luke has to do is let go of self-control and embrace his rage, and he can be unstoppable... at the cost of his principles and loyalties. It's his ties to his family and friends that hold him back from the brink.

Another reason I like Luke is that in his maturity he's not a "solved" character: he's a person. An impressive person, a respectable person, but a troubled person. He's burdened by the greatness of his name and the weight of grave failures that cut to the core of his worst impulses. And for a while he's all but crushed by shame and fear. It's hard to measure up to your own legend when you've always struggled with inner darkness.

But sure enough, like the hero he is, Luke finds strength and wisdom in the lessons of his past failures. He rallies, and makes his own legend come true, seizing victory and personal dignity with a sacrifice that spreads his story throughout the galaxy as the unquenchable spark of hope that fuels mass rebellion against tyranny.

Luke is a great character because he's not just a badass with a wit. He's also relatable, he's flawed, he embodies qualities that everyone can embrace to improve themselves. And finally, he's great because he achieves that greatness in a principled and selfless way that reflects the highest ideals of Jedi tradition. With his passing, his family's story comes full circle. He succeeds where his father failed, and then ascends to a higher station where he continues to witness and inspire younger generations in their own struggles to conquer their demons and build a better future.

Last edited:

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
As a kid? Luke was the stock standard hero's journey, well-acted, in a movie that was accessible to all ages. I didn't understand it that way at the time, but I liked him pretty much because he was the earnest lead of these movies I loved, without much thought beyond that. He wasn't my favorite, but he wasn't far behind, either. I mean, he was Luke Fucking Skywalker.

He didn't become my favorite SW character until I was much older. I know TLJ is divisive, but it will forever be my favorite Star Wars movie because it took this hero I loved as a kid and made him actually mean something more to me at 30.

This legendary hero of my childhood, the farmboy who saved the galaxy, was still just a person. He tried to carry on with the weight of the world on his shoulders, but in a moment of weakness, he wound up playing a role in the same cycle starting all over again, the evil he and his friends vanquished suddenly rushing back into power. It scared him, and he ran. By time the universe needed him again, he had convinced himself he could only make things worse. At the end of it all, even this iconic hero still had one lesson left to learn, that failure is part of the deal even for someone in his shoes. You don't let the past die, you carry it with you, learning lessons from past failures and using that knowledge to build toward the person you're meant to be. In his final act, he finally steps back into the light and walks out with a laser sword and faces down the whole First Order, becoming the legend he needs to be, a spark of hope for a weary galaxy. He's Luke Fucking Skywalker.

I dunno. I think it's cool.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
0-EBFE6-A7-542-B-424-E-B4-D5-F5-B6-F89-C206-A.gif

This is the moment Luke became a Jedi. He could have killed his enemies out of hate and he didn't.

Was looking for a gif of this RotJ scene. This was the scene that made him my favourite Star Wars character. Not that i don't like him before - i mean that trench run scene in ANH hits similar high notes - but this just ties up everything in a pretty, neat, bow. A perfect, feel-good, fairy tale ending for a modern fairy tale story .

"Rather than do some angry, socially relevant film…I realized there was another relevance that is even more important — dreams and fantasies, getting children to believe there is more to life than garbage and killing…Once I got into STAR WARS, it struck me that we had lost all that — a whole generation was growing up without fairy tales. You just don't get them anymore, and that's the best stuff in the world — adventures in far-off lands. It's fun."

- George Lucas

Jul 20, 2018
I liked him in the original trilogy. The journey from naive farm hand to Jedi was a good, if unoriginal, tale.

The Disney films ruined him though. I was very disappointed.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I loved Luke's character and all the growth he went through on his journey from humble youth always looking out on the horizon to true Jedi Master who had overcome his darkest moment to give his life in the most Jedi way possible.

Mark Hamill's performance was a big part of what sold it. I've always enjoyed his work as Luke, but he gave his best performance as Luke in The Last Jedi. Man sold every aspect of Luke during the story.

Star Wars has been a part of my life for well over 20 years, and I'll always appreciate what it gave me.