• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Don't worry, they made it so that achievements need to be implemented from their overlay, which needs to be implemented on a per game basis... which is somehow a lvl of decision that even Nintendo would scratch their head at.

Oh god, didn't even know about this one, forcing people to modify a code base of a game to implement achievements in a specific and very tiny store.
Every time I learn something new about the technical aspects of EGS it beggars belief that this is the same company that has devs behind the Unreal Engine.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate it, I just dislike the exclusive deals and I dont support it. I'm glad the devs get paid that's their choice but also it's my choice to wait a year or a sale to get the game on the store/launcher of my preference.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
i don't hate the store, in fact i am grateful they are paying for so many free games that i've taken advantage of. but, i think the platform sucks and massively lacks in features compared to steam. even between the same game, there is not feature parity -- e.g. slime rancher on steam has cloud saves, but on epic it doesn't.

i also don't like them buying exclusivity for games that would have otherwise released day and date on other PC stores (e.g. borderlands 3), but i recognize that certain games probably wouldn't exist on PC without those moneyhats, so it's a tough balance to strike.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Steam isnt a monopoly, its a market leader
The monopoly thing is crazy too because if you apply Epic's own logic from their Apple lawsuit to Valve, none of it applies to them for blatantly obvious reasons. Not the least of which being that the actual platform owner (Microsoft) is running their own competing game store too lol. Like, Valve and Microsoft were pretty antagonistic until like 2 years ago and people wanna act like GabeN stole the entire OS like Carmen Sandiego or something

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I don't like their policy of moneyhatting games games on PC especially when they cancelled their own projects such as Unreal Tournament and Paragon.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I don't hate it. It's the biggest pain to link games through Steam's Big Picture Mode but the occasional free and cheap games trumps that.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ironically, it feels like they're just using this to push their own products and they aren't invested in the store part of it.

You can't launch a Steam competitor in today's market without at least TRYING for feature parity with Steam.

And now, given the ludicrous amount of time it's been on the market, it's clear they're not in any hurry to replace it. And if I'm going to be buying games on it, it's going to need to be compelling, and not a "take the ball and go home" mentality they seem to be a fan of.

Like, one of Steam's best resources is their discussion forums on EVERY game. Where else can you find people discussing the stability of running a classic game on Windows 10?

Like, can I just buy and play games on it and forget about all that? Sure. But why bother? My Steam backlog is gigantic. I feel no need to invest in the platform if all they can do is just give away free games I won't ever get to.

Also, it doesn't appeal to my collector mentality. I hate knowing that I don't own a game on one platform, but it's on another.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I've never used it but I'm sure I wont hate it (might have to get it for Crysis remastered soon). I'm not that into store wars. I'm sure it's not as fleshed out as steam but I'll use whatever launcher is needed for the game I want to play. Already have done that with EA, Ubi, and Gamepass games.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Because epic isn't paying for exclusivity. They're paying for games to not be on steam.

It's this. Epic isn't paying to keep these games off consoles or Game Pass for PC; they're targeting Steam and only Steam in an attempt to erode Valve's market share.

I'd rather wait a year for the actual PC release, or use Game Pass to get around the problem, than give Sweeney a single cent.

OP
OP
Vexii

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I've read it and I don't accept you are posting in good faith.
If you think seeking knowledge on a subject and providing reasoning on why that knowledge is being sought, as well as threadmarking a comprehensive FAQ contrarian to my own personal belief is behaviour in bad faith, I'm sorry but I don't know what to tell you

Nov 14, 2017
The monopoly thing is crazy too because if you apply Epic's own logic from their Apple lawsuit to Valve, none of it applies to them for blatantly obvious reasons. Not the least of which being that the actual platform owner (Microsoft) is running their own competing game store too lol. Like, Valve and Microsoft were pretty antagonistic until like 2 years ago and people wanna act like GabeN stole the entire OS like Carmen Sandiego or something
I'm just tickled by how, in Epic's own words from their suit, they accuse Apple of "seeking to control markets, block competition, and stifle innovation."

Spider-Man Pointing at Spider-Man.jpg

meschio94

Jan 26, 2018
Ironically, it feels like they're just using this to push their own products and they aren't invested in the store part of it.

You can't launch a Steam competitor in today's market without at least TRYING for feature parity with Steam.

And now, given the ludicrous amount of time it's been on the market, it's clear they're not in any hurry to replace it. And if I'm going to be buying games on it, it's going to need to be compelling, and not a "take the ball and go home" mentality they seem to be a fan of.

Like, one of Steam's best resources is their discussion forums on EVERY game. Where else can you find people discussing the stability of running a classic game on Windows 10?

Like, can I just buy and play games on it and forget about all that? Sure. But why bother? My Steam backlog is gigantic. I feel no need to invest in the platform if all they can do is just give away free games I won't ever get to.

I don't understand why they should try feature parity with the leader of the market, when they can get userbase moneyhatting exclusives, so if the user want to buy the game the only option left is to come to their store, all the other aspect are secondary

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I'm still chewing on these topics because I don't want to be contrarian for the sake of it, but I do still find a lot of the heated discussion to still be disproportionate for some reason

It is very disproportionate, because there is a little bit of "console warring mentality" in the whole thing. You may have noticed there are some posts whose basis is "they are not letting Valve sell the game" as if Valve, the largest, leading and most succesful PC game store in the world, required some sort of defense against loosing a few games per year.

Nov 14, 2017
It's this. Epic isn't paying to keep these games off consoles or Game Pass for PC; they're targeting Steam and only Steam in an attempt to erode Valve's market share.

I'd rather wait a year for the actual PC release, or use Game Pass to get around the problem, than give Sweeney a single cent.
Wasn't there one game recently that came out on the Windows Store and EGS but not Steam?

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
I, for one, "only" distrust Epic/Tim. Their store is mostly serving them and their business interests since the very beginning. The customers are merely a necessity, guaranteeing uninterrupted service a secondary concern. Just take a look at their recent stunt with Apple and Google. They thrown their userbase under the bus for business leverage. That's some sick shit.

I trust Steam with my digital library, because they have proven to be actually pro-costumer for many years. They do stuff with their 30% cut, which is nice for me as consumer, e.g. VR, hosting Steamworks, global controller layer, Linux support, client streaming, etc. Valve hasn't pulled any dick moves AFAIR. The company being privately owned helps too, because they don't have to answer to stock holders.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If Epic spent a fraction of their absurd amounts of cash on improving the Epic Store/Client, they wouldn't have to spend a bunch of money buying up exclusives to force people to use their client.

They sure aren't going to convince people to use it based on its feature set and capabilities.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I think that doc originated here.
Yes it originated from PC Era because of threads like this where people want to know about stuff thats explained a thousand times in mostly all relevant threads and the people explaining even simple things are tired of talking to a wall cause even if one person understands others don't read the thread and it goes and on.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really have any strong feelings toward them. I'll take the free games and never buy anything from the store.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I don't - I'm pretty neutral on it, and I don't mind playing my games on multiple app stores. I already have the Xbox app on my PC to play my Game Pass games, so why not EGS to play at least the free stuff they give me?

Nov 14, 2017
If Epic spent a fraction of their absurd amounts of cash on improving the Epic Store/Client, they wouldn't have to spend a bunch of money buying up exclusives to force people to use their client.

They sure aren't going to convince people to use it based on its feature set and capabilities.
I guarantee with their money they could put together a legally-distinct do-not-steal Steam clone that would work just fine.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It once auto updated to a new version that's incompatible with my version of macOS after several months of use with minimal issue, so I've never used it since
It also doesn't have Mac versions of some games that support Mac through other storefronts

I don't hate it or really feel that strongly about it but it's been been literally useless to me for about a year

Chris_Rivera

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't hate any store these days. If anything, I prefer not to use Steam. I chose HzD on EGS because it wasn't plagued with the steam input issues and allowed native DS4 support.

I was denied a refund on Steam for NMS, still pissed about that.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
Steam works perfectly fine, Epic Store is just redundant, I do like the free games though.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I see no reason to use it in general as it doesn't have anything better than any other DD service which I already use - yes, including Uplay and Origin.

I'm also not going to purchase any games which someone has "bought" themselves a timed exclusivity for as I think that this is destroying the PC gaming market ecosystem.

Jul 1, 2020
I don't hate it at all. It's light on features compared to Steam but Steam has been around for a whole lot longer. The revenue split at least from what has been stated seems like it's a no brainer to put your game on EGS if you are using Unreal Engine.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
On paper there are many reasons to like Epic Games Store: Steam gets competition, I already have other launchers and the store doesnt "look" bad. But its difficult to love it:
  • Though there are other launchers on PC, these usually belong to companies selling their own games. EGS is a Fornite launcher with a store attached to it, but there are no other Epic games on the way that add value to the store. It's true that Valve as a games company is nothing compared to their early days, but their work on VR and occasional games like Half Life Alyx are industry leading. Fornite, on the other hand? Industry leading in just negatives for me.
  • The store is barebones, it doesn't even have a shopping cart. Players have to use Steam features like forums or VR for EGS exclusives because there isn't almost anything that you've come to expect from the Steam ecosystem. They have a Trello board promising features, a roadmap for a store! That's how rushed and barebones it is.
  • I don't see the better prices. It like Steam, only that you get way less features from the client where you buy the game.
  • It's a rushed launcher that does nothing new, with a company that holds hostage upcoming PC launches so that if you are thirsty enough you have to go through their mediocre launcher to play.
I own free games they've gifted on EGS and Control, which came with my GPU. To me, having games on EGS, the mediocre Bethesda Launcher or Origin is like not having them (Uplay on the other hand goes well with Steam and adds fun stuff). I'd rather wait to have the game than to "have" it in a mediocre environment.

That's why I stopped buying EA games in the first place, and why I refuse to buy anything Epic Games Store exclusive until its cheap on Steam. And still feels bad to me. Why do we have to wait one year if we want to have our games in just one, superior client? Choice would mean no exclusives other than those actively funded by Epic, not this "now you will launch your already announced game only on our store" strategy.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except this wasn't how business was on PC.

Steam (technically Valve), was never out there signing checks to get people to release only on Steam and deny it for sale elsewhere.

The reasons games typically ended up only releasing on Steam was because there wasn't a single other open storefront/platform that could provide the vast feature set Steam does to both developers and users. Steam itself was a cost-saving measure compared to running your own storefront, setting up your own servers, or developing features some people would consider essential nowadays that could be hooked in from the Steam APIs.

Putting a game on Steam never stopped any developer from releasing it elsewhere, but the incentive of some relatively unintrusive DRM, a large userbase, safe payment processing, and the variety of value-adds Steam provides made it the default place to want to release something.

I do understand developers who argue that the 30% default cut across storefronts feels excessive nowadays, because in general the economy is shit and you can't help but feel salty when you're busting your ass off to make something that you don't even know if it'll be a success only to see the "rich" storefronts taking such a large cut for doing what they feel like is so little, but when you see the sacrifices a storefront has to make to get it lower than that, you wonder if both users and developers have just gotten so accustomed to these features and benefits being givens, that they've forgotten what it actually took to make them.
Yep, you said it. It wasn't how business WAS. Now it's different and your choice if you support or do not support them.

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate EGS per se, in fact I like the free games from it, but as both a store and a launcher it's just not as good as Steam. The reasons why have been explained over and over in tons of threads ever since EGS came out in the first place, and although Epic have been slooooooowly catching up, they're still far behind.

Steam still has a better user experience by far, really. If Epic want me to buy from their store they still have a long way to go in terms of UX and no amount of exclusives can change that.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That's because it's bullshit. Check out how active the Nvidia/AMD rumor threads have been recently. Not sure where this "All the real PC gamers left Era" narrative is coming from.
You can't deny that a huge chunk of the former PC Era "core" community have left this board a while ago. Just compary the thread today with 2018.
Maybe the fact that even former Mods constantly trolled this community and forced them to leave has something to do with their departure. Who knows.

Oct 29, 2017
Everything Epic does or doesn't do is for the sole reason to try and destabilize Steam as a platform. They don't actually stand for anything other than profits and taking Steam's place while offering less to the consumer. Also a reminder that they are a bigger company than Valve, if they really wanted to compete for customers with Steam they could just beat Valve at their own game by putting all their money behind developing their platform and offering tools and features to developers and users alike but they continue to refuse to do that. Walled garden bullshit has no place on an open platform like the PC and the user experience will continue to suffer until they leave or completely change their strategy.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I don't hate it, I'm just not spending any money there until they stop moneyhatting store exclusives. I'm appreciating all the free games in the meantime, but I won't buy anything there until it stops.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
I prefer Steam just because it has a lot more features, but I still grab every free game in the Epic store on the off chance there's something I want to play later. Despite this, I haven't yet purchased or installed a single game from the Epic store, so I wonder how many others are like me and how long this business model is sustainable.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I honestly don't mind it. It's another quick and easy to use launcher for me, and I only have three of them on my PC. Steam, EGS, and Twitch prime. EGS is a comfy second in terms of usability and features, and my only major gripes I had when I spent around 15 hours in Samurai Shodown Neogeo Collection is that there doesn't seem to be a friend list option, so finding friends for that game was not at all viable, and there's still no achievement system despite that being on the roadmap for eons. (Or a cart for that matter) The moment they add that, I'll get so much more use out of the games I own on EGS because it won't feel like they're missing a key feature most consoles and Steam have had since 2005, which in turn just leaves me to playing stuff on Steam for extra bang for my buck.

Still, the EGS games play perfectly fine and I was a very happy person with that Samurai Shodown Collection, especially since it hooked up with my arcade stick no problem, despite some worries I had about controller support with EGS. It works better with my controllers than the Windows Store does and that's kinda sad since I had Game Pass for a bit and wanted to like that more, but it would ONLY support Xbox controllers, which I just do not own. EGS at least plays nice with everything I have but my PS4 and Steam Controllers.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
So, more than a year and a half after all this started, after the loss of two moderators, much of a vibrant PC community and some of the best posters on this site and the formation of an entire splinter forum in response, there's still no policy for dealing with this? We're just going to be dealing with people "just asking questions" until the end of time?

Wonderful.

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
I had an epic account that got compromised. It was an account I had for a reason I can't even recall. I'm assuming it was related to Unreal because I've never played Fortnite. I only figured it out because I started getting spam emails from epic in Russian. Thankfully there was no CC on the account and it had a unique password. I will probably break down and sign up for it when they get a top of the line RPG I can't play anywhere else, but for now, I'm fine with not giving epic any of my personal information. Even if it means I've held off on Control until the Steam launch next week.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I don't. All the freebies have been great, and I've gotten excellent deals on the games I've bought on there. They install and run fine. Steam has so many more features, but like GOG was for years, I kinda like just the basics too. I mean, I guess the best thing I can say is that it's innocuous. It works, and that's really all I need it to do.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
if it was a paid launcher I can understand the hate, but as someone that doesn't really care which software I use to launch a game; I don't mind it at all.

I however don't have a social network or care to have one on PC and i'm not into mods.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
Are we comparing a new store with Racism?

The thread title is why do you hate it, and people are answering.

I don't care about chievos

This is not about lack of emphaty or racism. This is about convenience and it's convenient for me to get free games and competitive prices

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate the client per say, because I only use it to play Magic Arena, and that's only because I want to track how much time I spend playing it. I hate how Epic just throws their cash around to remove customer choice because they know their offering sucks in comparison to the competition, and when given the option most people would buy the games elsewhere.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Do share a few examples.
-The transphobia lawsuit*
-The translation team abuse scandal*
-Them crowdsourcing their translations like that in the first place
-The Steam Workshop -> in game cosmetic model is essentially spec work. Even before I thought that, I always thought their cut for cosmetics (where they do actually control the marketplace) was absurdly high at 75% for doing very little work
-Regardless of one's thoughts on actual games, I think most would agree that they've been remarkably inconsistent with the whole 18+ thing

*While I believe both of these were attributed to one individual who has since been fired, it speaks to problems with their (in)famous flat structure. I remember GabeN admitting as much in an interview

I'm sure there's more, but those are the biggest ones off the top of my head.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I just don't like that they buy exclusives just to keep them off steam. They can have their own store and release their exclusive games like origin and uplay but paying to keep games that were going to release on steam to be exclusive to their store rubs me the wrong way. Their launcher is so barebones at the moment too.

Status
Not open for further replies.