• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Keyboard and mouse gives me unbearable cramps in my wrists when playing games. Controllers do not.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Because it's DOOM and people are just playing it for a short burst of fun/nostalgia.

People sometimes choose to eat food that isn't the best quality they could possibly eat, because it's just an easy thing to do, and it would be weird to be picky about a ham sandwich.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Keyboard and mouse gives me unbearable cramps in my wrists when playing games. Controllers do not.
Allow me to blow your mind

03916b13-a18a-43c9-b359-aa33b3ccbfb0.png

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty simple really, I don't own a PC and really have no need nor desire to own one.

Oct 29, 2017
There are millions of people born on this decade that will watch any classic film older than them in their tablets and phones and probably wouldn't otherwise. Convenience is that big of a barrier breaker when it comes to discovering classics in media.

There are different degrees of how casually or enthusiastically you go out of your way to consume entertainment. Not everyone gets to watch classics films on the big screen, not everyone gets to play classic PC games on PC. Nothing wrong with that, especially since they wouldn't experience it otherwise.

Last edited:

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I don't. I tried playing the Doom and Doom 2 re-releases on 360/XBL, but I could only stomach a few levels. Same with Marathon 2. I have no problem playing modern FPSes on console, but I just wasn't feeling those. Still too much muscle-memory from playing them on PC/Mac 25 years ago.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
poor music arrangements, input latency issues, sprite quality etc

I can't even tell there's anything wrong with any of these.

I played Doom 1 very briefly on PC as a kid around the time it came out at my best friends' place (twins) so I'm no expert on the original release.

I then played it quite a bit on the SNES.

Then I loved the absolute shit out of Doom 64 when I rented it. Couple years later I bought it used for cheap at Hollywood video when I was visiting Portland. Also enjoyed PS Doom but didn't play it as much.

Then I day one'd Doom 3 and it's been a favorite of mine ever since.

Got Doom 1 and 2 on XBLA and Steam when they came out and enjoyed them there too.

So I'm not intimately familiar with OG Doom but I'm telling you I see nothing wrong with the version I'm playing on the Switch, music included. Sounds about how I remember it.

Either way it's a non issue for me. Love playing it docked or on the go. It's perfect to me.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Convenience, mainly for me. I've been wanting to play OG Doom for a bit now. At $5 a pop for each, that I can easily remote play on my Vita, it's a no brainer.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I can understand wanting them on Switch due to portability. Wanting them on PS4/Xbox One doesn't make much sense unless you really don't like gaming on PC.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played GBA DOOM in the bus a lot back in the day and let me tell you, even with all the many, many flaws it was a whole lot of fun and made my commute much more bearable.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Lots of reasons. Mostly I don't enjoy sitting at a desk to play games -- I do work on my computer and have no desire to spend more quality time with it.

Outside of that, in terms of the recent Switch version of Doom, the hybrid functionality is great (I've been playing a lot in bed with headphones on). Plus, I like to keep and curate a nice collection of games all in one place.

I understand the Doom ports have issues, but as a casual Doom fan, I'd not have noticed any of them outside of the buggy Bethesda account shit. So all of the above reasons hold way more weight for me than these flaws.

Last edited:

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't play PC games.

One and done - this is not hard to understand OP

Do you like playing on your phone? I dont. Why dont you buy Doom there?

I dont like playing on pc either

I have 3 laptops that can play Doom (and new games too). Computers are not for playing games imo - they are work machines for me.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The reasons for playing it on Switch are obvious, but to be fair, playing PC Doom on anything other than vanilla DOSBOX these days involves more steps than the people buying it on consoles would want to go through.

It would be dope if iD made something for consoles that functioned more like ZDoom where you could get WADs into it.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on my mood really.

If I'm in the mood to "effing play Doom" I'll play it on my PC with either Chocolate Doom or Zandronum, and with the "new" Romero levels added to episode 1.
Sometimes I'm just playing to "veg out" and for that playing through the first episode of Doom 1 or the first 8 or 9 levels of Doom 2 is just fine with me on my Xbox (usually shortly before I go to sleep).

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Curiosity because i never played them and i loved doom 2016, however i did not enjoy these older games

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I guess I need to qualify that the problems with the ports mean that I haven't bought the games for my Switch, but if the music was patched up I would buy Doom and Doom 2, so:

I like the idea of having it in mobile form, and being able to play it with a controller on my TV when I want.

Having it on the Switch would just be... neat, you know? I'm not too married to the "core" experience of Doom, I got enough of shareware play with the arrow keys back in the early 90s, but finally sitting down and really playing it on the same little system where I've installed Smash Bros. or whatever is just a pleasing prospect.

If the ports were up to snuff, that is.

Jan 21, 2019
There are millions of people born on this decade that will watch any classic film older than them in their tablets and phones and probably wouldn't otherwise. Convenience is that big of a barrier breaker when it comes to discovering classics in media.

There are different degrees of how casually or enthusiastically you go out of your way to consume entertainment. Not everyone gets to watch classics films on the big screen, not everyone gets to play classic PC games on PC. Nothing wrong with that, especially since they wouldn't experience it otherwise.

Excuse me but this is the internet where we look down on people who don't consume media exactly the way we do. Keep your reasonable responses to yourself or to real life conversations.

To add my too cents, I don't like pc gaming, the same way as I don't like portable gaming or phone gaming. So I will play games on a console or don't.

Deleted member 5457

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing any kind of pc classics from dos era on modern consoles is both strange and fascinating to me. I'd like them all to come.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I play it on PC using GZDOOM, but I would have bought it on Switch if the port was good. Portability is nice and valued by many.

Could also see people buying it on console if they don't want to spend the time needed to make it run on a source port. In reality it takes barely any time but a lot of folk are unfamiliar with it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i can't comprehend playing those games with a controller today, and i say that as somebody who grew up on the snes version

it's whatever though i'm just glad people are playing them still, and they're apparently enjoying the console ports so great. but having them on PC with a source port is straight up mandatory if you want the real deal

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
i can't comprehend playing those games with a controller today, and i say that as somebody who grew up on the snes version

it's whatever though i'm just glad people are playing them still, and they're apparently enjoying the console ports so great. but having them on PC with a source port is straight up mandatory if you want the real deal

I tried a couple hours of DOOM on ps3 and it was okish with the dual-analog stick controls, but definitely not optimal. The limited nature of the controller is annoying on anything higher than 'hurt me plenty' mode... especially for DOOM II.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019

Doesn't playing them in terms of the "real deal" necessitate not using a mouse?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
my computer is a MacBook Air, and I have no interest in playing games on it, especially not a game like Doom.

b00_thegh0st

Nov 6, 2017
I play Doom in the Crispy Doom source port engine because it (and chocolate) upscales almost perfectly and unlocked frame rate fits our new displays better than the original 35fps. I bought Doom on Switch because I wanted to bring it with me out of the house basically. And yes I feel cheated.

The best analogy I can come with is Bethesda has the rights to Mona Lisa and only sells unevenly pixelated postcards out of it. I don't know what happened but I really want to blame someone for not taking care of this marvellous game.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Convenience for me. I'm not even close to a hardcore or informed enough DOOM player to care about the Switch port's shortcomings, and I really only picked it up for its nostalgia value relative to its price. I'm not even into FPSes in general; for me DOOM is mostly a nostalgia trip that I appreciate more for its relevance in gaming history than for the game itself. I think the problems you mention would be a much bigger deal to longtime, dedicated DOOM fans, which I'm just not. I likely won't even bother with DOOM II and especially DOOM 3, given the terrible things I've always heard about the latter.

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
I was thinking about getting the first for my Xbox. Mainly because my PC is super old and stored away in the closet. Not that it couldn't run it, it's just not my main source of gaming.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I play Doom in the Crispy Doom source port engine because it (and chocolate) upscales almost perfectly and unlocked frame rate fits our new displays better than the original 35fps. I bought Doom on Switch because I wanted to bring it with me out of the house basically. And yes I feel cheated.

The best analogy I can come with is Bethesda has the rights to Mona Lisa and only sells unevenly pixelated postcards out of it. I don't know what happened but I really want to blame someone for not taking care of this marvellous game.
I feel the same way, but at least the PC Doom WADs are still easy to copy from the official install so folks can run it through whatever client they want. A shame about these recent releases, especially the Xbox version losing content on top of the performance issues. It's rediculous to even be talking about performance issues with fucking Doom of all games. I'd love to hear about the development behind these releases someday.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm often curious as to what compels buyers to purchase these versions of this game on platforms that will, eventually, burn out and not be supported anymore over PC?

You could probably ask that question of just about all games that are available across both PC and console. I imagine the answers will be varying but for me personally I have a preference for console gaming these days over PC due to the convenience of it all. As a father of a young family who works full time my spare time is extremely limited, so the odd chance I do get so sit down and play something, I want it to be as easy and hassle free as possible. For me, console gaming provides that the best.

Deleted member 8696

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chile
Since I got a developer's job two years ago, I don't like gaming on PC anymore, so of course I'm gonna play it on consoles.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Is the Switch port worth it for someone who's kind of a Doom noob? I only played some of the PC release back in the day. Are the technical issues going to bug me? I play everything portably if possible.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Its super convient to me, i love playing games on ps4/console and watch youtube/movies on my pc.

Plus im developing a thing of owning Doom on every console i can get my hands on...

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This may come as a shock to you but not everyone owns a PC. I only have a work provided computer, for example.

Also if I didn't buy games on platforms that will eventually be discontinued one day I wouldn't play on console period.
This is indeed a shock as the PC is a general purpose machine that can do countless stuffs well beyond gaming and watching videos.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Is the Switch port worth it for someone who's kind of a Doom noob? I only played some of the PC release back in the day. Are the technical issues going to bug me? I play everything portably if possible.
Nah man it's fine. I hadn't touched Doom 1 since I was like 6 when it was a new game, and if I weren't active on this board I'd never know there was anything wrong with the port.