• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
And why isn't there any pushback against this sort of barbarism for 'entertainment'? Just saw a clip of Jericho after putting himself through a barbed wire match, and it looked pretty gruesome.

UmbranUndying

Feb 20, 2022
It sells, and there's a legacy of it being something of a badge of honor to go through hardcore matches, for better or for worse.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
"Allow"? Is this just happening independently of the wrestling promotion and they're just going ah well, what can you do?

UmbranUndying

Feb 20, 2022
"Allow"? Is this just happening independently of the wrestling promotion and they're just going ah well, what can you do?
You know, that makes me think of how ridiculous the concept of AEW's light's out matches are. They're kayfabe non-sanctioned, don't go on the wrestlers' WL records, and AEW management washes their hands of what happens, like, "ah well, what can you do?"

lol

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wrestlers know their own limits and are willing to do these things

Jericho being a prime example. He's not doing this shit because he has to. He wants to.

And honestly for most guys a hardcore match is much easier (and in many ways safer) than a match where you take a bunch of bumps.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Thumbtacks are an easy bump.

Even in my short wrestling career I took a thumbtack bump and those wounds were closed in a day.

It looks gnarly but it doesn't really hurt more than a normal bump.

Most of barbed wire is fake. The stuff that's real is always agreed upon for specific spots . And it doesn't tend to cause scares.

Blading is honestly the bigger problem.

Oct 25, 2017
Because when it's done well and used well, it's exciting and fun. Who doesn't like seeing someone get hit with a big pile of light tubes, or a gusset plate slammed into a forehead

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol this is like when Vince told CM Punk that UFC was "barbaric". Vince, this is Resetera, you'd fit in better at the old place 😂

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes a rivalry can only be decided with the ripping of flesh thanks to barbed wire

Oct 25, 2017
People landing on thumbtacks, barbaric

Guy doing 540 flip and missing his spot, landing flat on the ground…perfectly fine

There's far more unsafe dumb shit happening in a typical wrestling match than some thumbtacks and barbed wire being used in a major wrestling brand like AEW or WWE

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
It looks gnarly, but it's actually some of the safest stuff you can do in a wrestling ring.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
People landing on thumbtacks, barbaric

Guy doing 540 flip and missing his spot, landing flat on the ground…perfectly fine

There's far more unsafe dumb shit happening in a typical wrestling match than some thumbtacks and barbed wire being used in a major wrestling brand like AEW or WWE

This also.

I'm pretty sure Big E would rather land on 1000 thumbtacks or a table of barbed wire in a match against a professional than have his neck broken during a regular match again someone who had a history of botching moves and injuring their opponents.

And from the mouth of Jon Moxley, ladder matches are the most unsafe ones.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Wrestlers will tell you that barbwire, light tubes, thumbtacks… they hurt less than many other high spots and the injuries you get from them heal up fast where as other bumps look like they hurt less but leave you with back problems for life.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And why isn't there any pushback against this sort of barbarism for 'entertainment'? Just saw a clip of Jericho after putting himself through a barbed wire match, and it looked pretty gruesome.

For the most part it's some of the safer stuff you can do in a ring. It just carries a shock factor cause of the blood.

Oct 25, 2017
This also.

I'm pretty sure Big E would rather land on 1000 thumbtacks or a table of barbed wire in a match against a professional than have his neck broken during a regular match again someone who had a history of botching moves and injuring their opponents.

And from the mouth of Jon Moxley, ladder matches are the most unsafe ones.

Ladder matches started to become uncomfortable for me to watch because of the volume of bad, dangerous spots going on. For some reason I can watch a guy fly full speed into a board of knives and just flinch, but ladder stuff made me nervous. I remember when Kaliston did his finisher off a 20/30 foot ladder and the Uso almost missed the ladder on the way down.

Or do we need to pull up Aerostar's botch of all time from the scaffold?

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
It's because of the reaction you're having, while as already discussed being largely safe. Blood freaks people out and doesn't cause long term harm aside from some visible scarring at worst (assuming nobody involved has any bloodborne disease).

Didn't watch the clip, but based on the thumbnail it's Shibata headbutting himself into retirement. He went to the hospital with his brain bleeding and partial paralysis. He's largely recovered and doing low impact wrestling stuff and being a trainer five years later.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wrestler called Katsuyorhi Shibata (probably botched the spelling) who wrestles a very "legit" looking wrestling style giving a headbutt so hard he gave himself brain damage and nearly died
Yeah, but I didn't see any blood so it's clearly 100% safe and not the barbarism of some dude getting a few half-centimeter deep holes put in his back from a thumbtack spot.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Also because there's an audience for it, and there's a kind of wrestler who loves it, and so death match never goes away and it occasionally bubbles up to mainstream promotions.

Specifically, Jericho did the voice over on the Nick Gage episode of Dark Side, said to himself "wow, this kid is something special" and went out of his way to have the first match with light tubes on American television, with Nick Gage, last year. He wants to prove "look, I can do all kinds of wrestling well" and did.

Same with Kenny Omega, he never did lights out hardcore matches before AEW and they are still rare but his matches with Janela and Mox are among the best hardcore matches in recent years.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
BLOOOOD AND GUUUUUTS

because when used correctly it adds to the stakes/realism/drama of the story they're telling.

It's performance art, OP.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Wrestlers will tell you that barbwire, light tubes, thumbtacks… they hurt less than many other high spots and the injuries you get from them heal up fast where as other bumps look like they hurt less but leave you with back problems for life.

Not sure wrestlers know enough about the long term effect to your lungs of breathing in light tube particles to comment on that one yet.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Wrestler called Katsuyorhi Shibata (probably botched the spelling) who wrestles a very "legit" looking wrestling style giving a headbutt so hard he gave himself brain damage and nearly died

I absolutely fucking love Shibata but I fucking hate headbutts in pro wrestling and I hate that he had to become the poster boy for "no really, stop doing shoot headbutts, wasn't Benoit & Dynamite Kid reason enough??!?"

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Because everyone in their deepest hearts wants to be the Necro Butcher.

But seriously, as a recently returned wrestling fan, stuff like barbed-wire matches or Moxley drowning in color every other match doesnt disturb me nearly as much as watching guys like Darby Allin flinging themselves around and taking some absolutely grotesque bumps.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And why isn't there any pushback against this sort of barbarism for 'entertainment'?

latest

There was!

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
It looks much more intense but

1. The wrestlers themselves choose to do it. For whatever reason. Unless it's a very small indie gig or something it's highly unlikely they'll be forced or even pressured to do anything

2. A lot of the time, these kinds of spots are comparatively safer than regular, "mundane" spots that don't involve foreign objects.

In the first ever elimination chamber, the most serious injury in the match didn't involve glass breaking or the chains. It was RVD having to adjust the Frog Splash and hitting basically kneeing Triple H in the throat.

And the worst bleeding ever seen in the WWE didn't come from a cheese grater or barbed wire. Eddie Guerrero botched a blading spot from a chair shot and almost died in the ring against JBL.

Not saying that these extreme matches are necessary or that they don't hurt. But wrestlers can and do get hurt all the time just working regular matches. If they would rather land on thumbtacks instead of having to dive over the top rope and hoping nothing goes wrong, that's their choice.

Oh and there's a spectrum to these things ofc. AEW and Jericho have a much better grasp on safe hardcore matches than like CZW and some new guy named Jack the Ripper.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
It's performance and people are interested in those who can push their bodies safely. Undoubtedly there are places that have wrestlers do things they can't perform safely but in that case the problem isn't the props. Someone who can't keep themselves and their partners safe is just as bad whether or not thumbtacks are involved.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gave himself a hemotoma

Didn't watch the clip, but based on the thumbnail it's Shibata headbutting himself into retirement. He went to the hospital with his brain bleeding and partial paralysis. He's largely recovered and doing low impact wrestling stuff and being a trainer five years later.

Damn, thanks for the info. Glad he's doing well.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Random cuts is whatever.

My larger concerns lie with the WWE (and the law!) looking the other way on CTE. We know it's killing wrestlers. We don't know (and too many people don't want us to know) how many are currently suffering from it. Getting hit hard in the head every single match is so so much worse than tacks and wire.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
You know, that makes me think of how ridiculous the concept of AEW's light's out matches are. They're kayfabe non-sanctioned, don't go on the wrestlers' WL records, and AEW management washes their hands of what happens, like, "ah well, what can you do?"

lol
I personally love it

"By all that is good and holy I can't sanction such barbarism!

I'll use it to sell some tickets though"

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Random cuts is whatever.

My larger concerns lie with the WWE (and the law!) looking the other way on CTE. We know it's killing wrestlers. We don't know (and too many people don't want us to know) how many are currently suffering from it. Getting hit hard in the head every single match is so so much worse than tacks and wire.
Obviously WWE could do a lot more to deal with this issue, but they've outright banned or greatly restricted most of the moves and spots that cause the most head and neck trauma over the years. Modern WWE wrestling is a far cry from the late 90s era of every other match having unprotected chairshots to the head or the stuff you see in the indies and Japan where folks deliberately drop their opponents directly onto the top of their heads on a disturbingly regular basis. (Now, whether this makes for a better in-ring product is subject to debate.)