• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Didn't Demon's Souls come out first? What makes Dark Souls the go to when Demon's Souls was what defined the genre?

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls.

There.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Because it's what got popular and got sequels.

Think about Persona, nobody gives a shit about the first or second games, and they don't talk about them or their mechanics when they mention something being "Persona like," that's 3 and up.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls is more popular, so more people know it. It's why every open world RPG game for the last 5+ years has been compared to Skyrim instead of Oblivion

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls is a significantly jankier game that was exclusive to the PS3 and released late with little marketing and no post launch support (world tendency events don't count). Dark Souls received considerably more marketing and had several game changing patches, a post launch DLC expansion, and two sequels.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, Dark Souls barely got the same recognition until it came out on PC. I once streamed the unpatched ps3 version and people were floored at just how different the game was than they remembered.

It's not just a demon's souls thing.
Probably an extremely high percentage of "souls" fans never touched Demon's or Console first Dark Souls.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Souls wasn't locked to one platform, and it's what blew the series up.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
It's because demons souls is the dark souls of forgotten souls games. Also because dark souls was a ton more popular, multiplatform, etc.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hot take: Demon's is not more popular because it was a PS3 exclusive when the console was at its worse and 360 was more popular

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Because 'Demon's Souls' is an awkward ass name to pronounce.

You know I'm right.

Demonsssssssouls

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Because Demon's Souls isn't iconic, it's good but it ain't popular. Being the first doesn't really mean much.

I'm a Souls vet and I've Platinum all Souls games, to me Dark Souls absolutely stands out compared to DeS. It's a star, a phenomenon, a standard, a birth of a community.

Don't get me wrong I love DeS, but it's nothing compared to the glory sun of Lordran. Dark Souls is just better in so many different ways, especially the world structure.

Even if Demon's Souls is multiplatform it still wouldn't be half as popular as Dark Souls. It just doesn't have the same charm and appeal.

Last edited:

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
Demon's Souls was a PS3 exclusive that didn't receive as much attention as Dark Souls did. Dark Souls launched on PS3 and 360 simultaneously and was later ported to PC. It's also been re-released/remastered while Demon's hasn't been.

Mar 29, 2018
Demon's Souls was the real innovator, but Dark Souls is the one which punched that innovation into the culture's face.

Comparatively, Demon's Souls was a drop in the overall culture's ocean.

Dark Souls had the impact and changed the culture.

Man, I love mixing metaphors.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Hot take: Demon's is not more popular because it was a PS3 exclusive when the console was at its worse and 360 was more popular
That's not really a hot take. It's pretty true. Not to mention Demon's Souls got zero marketing in the west because Sony didn't think it would do well after the Japanese reception.

It was simply word of mouth that drove the series to notoriety. They used that fame to hype up Dark Souls

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Its because not a lot of people got to play Demon's Souls because its locked to a single platform and Dark Souls got 2 more games and were available to plays of all 3 platforms with switch being added to dark souls 1's list of platforms to play on.

Thats how it should be and thats how it is. The more people get to play it, the more word of mouth gets spread. It only hurts the game if its exclusive since more people don't get to appreciate it. Demon's Souls is sadly one of them.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
in the 90s....we called every other fps as doom clones....not wolfenstein clones..

every side scrolling platformers are mario clones....not pitfall clones

so there's that.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Its because not a lot of people got to play Demon's Souls because its locked to a single platform and Dark Souls got 2 more games and were available to plays of all 3 platforms with switch being added to dark souls 1's list of platforms to play on.

Thats how it should be and thats how it is. The more people get to play it, the more word of mouth gets spread. It only hurts the game if its exclusive since more people don't get to appreciate it. Demon's Souls is sadly one of them.
But Dark Souls only happened because the original Demon's Souls fanbase made it a sleeper hit through word of mouth. If PS3 players sat on it and let it disappear, there would not have been a Dark Souls.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
But Dark Souls only happened because the original Demon's Souls fanbase made it a sleeper hit through word of mouth. If PS3 players sat on it and let it disappear, there would not have been a Dark Souls.
Ofcourse. Iam not saying it was a failure in terms of sales but it didn't not come close to the amount of popularity and sales of the Dark Souls series due to its exclusivity. Word of mouth only spreads more and more if more people get their hands on the game only.

Oct 25, 2017
Not only it's much more popular, it also created the standard structure that most other From games and games inspired by their games try to replicate.

When a new "souls like" game comes out, is your first expectation an interconnected world or a hub and levels separated by loading screens?

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls is a much better game, played by many more people, on several more platforms.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
in the 90s....we called every other fps as doom clones....not wolfenstein clones..

so there's that.

Ding Ding

Not only it's much more popular, it also created the standard structure that most other From games and games inspired by their games try to replicate.

When a new "souls like" game comes out, is your first expectation an interconnected world or a hub and levels separated by loading screens?

Ding Ding Ding Ding

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017

so there's that.
This. The game that popularizes the genre/mechanics becomes the standard-bearer, not necessarily the original innovator.

Additionally, plenty of cover shooters have been called Gears clones but I've never seen someone mention Winback clones or Kill Switch clones.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The difficulty was actively part of the marketing, right? That, and its breakout popularity compared to Demon's, probably was the main contributor.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
You're right. From now on I'll say 'The Demon's Souls of'...so the world might be mended.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
the same reason people used to mention street fighter 2 when comparing to other fighting games, not street fighter.