• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
How? People still go to concerts and pay money for those. Vinyl sales experience record highs every year.
There is no devaluation. The people who still value music enough to pay for it pay for it. Those who find streaming services are enough would never have consumed music at the scale they do in the absence of those streaming services. The subscription services expanded the market.

The "record highs every year" for vinyl:
vinylrevival_vsalesus.png

The "expanded market" for music:
recordedmusicalbums_vsalesus.png

Source:

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Part of it is brand loyalty. Sony is saying they have to be discerning about it, and so people toe the company line. You saw it when Jack Ryan was defending lack of cross play; Sony players didn't need to play with a lower standard of player or whatever nonsense.

When Sony inevitably decides that this is a good idea they'll change their tune and act like it's a great, bold step forward.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
The reality is that while game streaming services are currently doing well do to good curation of games that are already somewhat popular the services will show their true colors once the flood gates are open and anyone can get in. its not going to look pretty when you have so much competition. its going to be the same problem people have with steam now.
also used games were never a bad thing. thats just the industry being its greedy little self like its always been

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Subscriptions are positioned as revaluing games on phones where free to play has brought their value to zero. The same thing that happened to the music industry is happening to games and movies at different speeds, and subscriptions are a way to combat that to an extent.

This makes sense to the smartphone gaming industry but not for console gaming where big games sell millions of copies for $60 and even some successful indies reach the million threshold.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
This makes sense to the smartphone gaming industry but not for console gaming where big games sell millions of copies for $60 and even some successful indies reach the million threshold.
Free to play games have started to affect the console/PC space as well with major publishers citing Fortnite as a factor in weak sales of their $60 products. We've got a version of League of Legends on the way to console, and Destiny has gone free to play. It's only going to become a bigger part of the market.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Used games aren't that much cheaper close to launch and are way more inconvenient than GamePass.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of it is brand loyalty. Sony is saying they have to be discerning about it, and so people toe the company line. You saw it when Jack Ryan was defending lack of cross play; Sony players didn't need to play with a lower standard of player or whatever nonsense.

When Sony inevitably decides that this is a good idea they'll change their tune and act like it's a great, bold step forward.
No they won't, This is a nonsense post about something that isn't even related to the subject at hand and also projecting.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I don't really see the whole 'race to zero' on console like we saw on smartphones, even with subscriptions in the picture, but devaluing is kind of a two-headed coin. I mean would I really rather the entire industry be like Nintendo, who refuse to drop older games prices?

This year's Black Friday 'deals' from Nintendo here in Canada are a pair of games that are over two years old getting $20 chopped off the price (dropping them to $59.99 for a limited time) and a Switch selling at regular price and including a two year old game with it.

If you got $20 off a two year old PS4 game like Horizon: Zero Dawn, the retailer would owe you a penny.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Subscription services could be beneficial to everyone. In theory, you could have a console with no game purchases & a $10-$15/month subscription fee for access to every game on that console. Since the typical game attach rate for consoles is under 10 games, this would make as much or more money for the industry than the current setup if most people stuck with the subscription. Players would get access to tons of games and the industry would make more money. Win-win... except for how that money then gets distributed (aka the subscription holder would probably take the lion's share, leaving developers scrambling for the leftovers).

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I think it's some concern trolling on the part of zealots in regards to Gamepass, with some chicken little syndrome tailing along.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Concern trolling mainly. One just needs to look how much extra visibility TV shows got since the arrival of Netflix and other services, how much more music people consume since Spotify and such are a thing. Services like Game Pass will drastically increase the visibility and playerbase for games, and while day 1 sales may be hurt from it (not a given, we know of games that are actually selling more thanks to the Pass), in-game spending, merchandising, sequel interest, social relevance, etc. will drastically increase, making the game more future-proof. My gaming habits are already mutating since Game Pass arrived, and I'm playing more due to it.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
We know the effects of subscription services, Netflix and Spotify have been around for 10+ years.

How? People still go to concerts and pay money for those. Vinyl sales experience record highs every year.
There is no devaluation. The people who still value music enough to pay for it pay for it. Those who find streaming services are enough would never have consumed music at the scale they do in the absence of those streaming services. The subscription services expanded the market.
Artists get paid pennies now.

The only way most artists can continue to make a living is merch sales and killing themselves touring near constantly and sacrificing their family life & health in the process.

Where before streaming services they could tour less with cheaper tickets and live mostly from album sales.

Last edited:

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Because Publishers don't set the price of used games, meaning they aren't placing a lower value on them out of the gate.

Because it's your right to sell your own property.

And because selling games used doesn't necessarily devalue them. See Nintendo's used games.

The people stanning for corps pushing subs dont see or dont care that the angle is being pushed primarily from a corporate control aspect rather than a consumer oriented one.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, aren't payouts right now still dictated by the publisher?

Yes and no. The splits are probably different for each project or dev/platform contract, but I doubt they change too much. The value of a game is also sort of set in stone. Base editions of AAA games generally sell for $59.99. If developers don't have a say in how payouts are determined in the streaming era it is likely that the sale certification criteria will be biased to certain types of games. If the powers that be decide to use time played to determine unit equivalent sales that immediately puts games like GONE HOME at a disadvantage compared to service games. Hell, it even puts grander SP games like GOD OF WAR at a disadvantage compared to titles like MODERN WARFARE.

In music, the RIAA came together and said "hey, 1 physical album sale is the equivalent to 10 individual song downloads, which is the equivalent to 1500 individual song streams," and artists didn't really blink until streaming took over. Now they're panicking and complaining about awful payouts. This devaluing definitely alters how much time and effort they put into their craft. Why put your heart and soul into music when all the ancillary things are what actually pays your bills?

I'm mainly worried about how indie developers will manage in the streaming era. Developers owned by publishers are not exactly exempt but their situation is obviously very different.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Of course they do, in which world are you living.

Maybe if you define value as "sticker price". Why you would do that, I don't know. The value to me of listening to a song is certainly as high as it ever was. The value to an artist of producing and releasing a song is more complicated -- probably gone up for many, down for others who benefited from the previous higher barriers to entry. But I don't think there's been a decrease in music production since the advent of streaming, so I don't know why I should assume that on average the value has gone down.

The "record highs every year" for vinyl:
vinylrevival_vsalesus.png

The "expanded market" for music:
recordedmusicalbums_vsalesus.png

Source:

I'm not sure what the argument is? Yes, fewer people no longer consume music through outdated, inconvenient, and expensive methods. Vinyl went from the mainstream way to listen music to a (growing) enthusiast niche. As a result, it's far easier for someone to make their music available to people than ever before. Unless you can make some argument that the quantity and/or quality of music has decreased with streaming services, I don't know why anyone should care. Except, that is, for people whose business model relies on those now-outdated methods, and I don't see why their well-being should take priority over everyone else's. Those people are just best-positioned to complain about changes on the internet.

Subscription services could be beneficial to everyone. In theory, you could have a console with no game purchases & a $10-$15/month subscription fee for access to every game on that console. Since the typical game attach rate for consoles is under 10 games, this would make as much or more money for the industry than the current setup if most people stuck with the subscription. Players would get access to tons of games and the industry would make more money. Win-win... except for how that money then gets distributed (aka the subscription holder would probably take the lion's share, leaving developers scrambling for the leftovers).

But that's basically how it already works, no? The gatekeepers -- publishers and platform holders -- have the most leverage in negotiating their revenue share. So the real question is, will platform holders have more or less leverage over developers with streaming services? I don't think anyone knows the answer to that yet.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
There's a limited number of 2nd hand copies out there, there's no limit to digital copies.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
the cost of living is high and sucks

i'm not willing to pay for individual albums, games or movies anymore bc im poor as hell. and considering you get ripped off anywhere still willing to buy used games, subscription based is the only way for me

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The better question is why should the current market be protected? Every other form of entertainment has had to deal with streaming and subscription and they have adjusted. Yet gaming is some special flower that is above the rest. They are businesses. Nothing more and nothing less. The people who want to own a physical or digital license to a game are still free to do so.

Last edited:

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
There has been a whole economy made off used games and rented games people don't realize even with the 10 a month point they make more than what they normally would long term by getting rid of the second hand market.
Instead of parents going in GameStop eBay or redbox they just play a flat monthly fee the kids win because they always have something to play the parents win because it's easier on the pockets and the publishers platform holders and developers win because that's more money they'll get their hands on without retail or second hand market being in their pockets.
people hate on it because Microsoft does it better or they won't be able to brag about they went and bought this or that game because we all have access to it now. It doesn't devalue anything if not it will let people be more creative.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
Because this is the definition...

It's really, really not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_(economics)

Economic value is not the same as market price, nor is economic value the same thing as market value. If a consumer is willing to buy a good, it implies that the customer places a higher value on the good than the market price. The difference between the value to the consumer and the market price is called "consumer surplus".[1] It is easy to see situations where the actual value is considerably larger than the market price: purchase of drinking water is one example.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People here largely don't give a damn about used game sales or piracy or streaming services in the abstract — they're just worried that the kind of games they like will no longer be made.

We know that our favorite series are not in danger from used games. We don't know how subscription services will affect them.

Oct 27, 2017
Because we understand that it's the retailer who takes a hit on used sales, in fact we know they paid $25-$30 for a copy of a recent release in order to sell it at $50+

beyond the obvious "I get X games for $9.99" or I get one game for $40-$50

bundling tons of games into a low sub price makes consumers more likely to not buy the games at full price imo. Over time that could led them to devalue all games and wait for it to "hit Netflix, hulu" etc.

We've already seen movies and to a greater extent, music, be devalued. Makes sense that those fears are the same for games

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is a dissonance that needs to be addressed. It's a dissonance not just among fanboys, but actual well meaning members of the gaming community. Players, industry analysts, pundits, et al, have at various points expressed wariness towards the onset of services such as Game Pass, and the incredible value that they provide. As recently as last week, we had NPD's Mat Piscatella warn against the potential devaluation of games, and it is also a concern that has been raised against Game Pass multiple times by posters on this very forum.

I can absolutely get the argument, for what it's worth, of the psychological impacts of devaluation of video games as an entertainment medium, because we have seen it happen before with mobile games (which was something that the late Nintendo President Satoru Iwata warned against, but ended up being ignored on). But here's the thing: why is this argument only selectively being applied towards video game subscription services?

As an example, let us return to Microsoft's plan to kill used game sales back in 2013. This plan was rightly mauled by critics, industry pundits, and players, and is probably single handedly responsible for Microsoft's trials and tribulations this generation. To be extremely clear, I am not defending that intended plan to kill used game sales, because it was taking away choice and value from me as a customer, and I do not support that - and thankfully, at that time, neither did the rest of the industry, and we all raised our voices against it.

But... doesn't the devaluation argument apply to used games too? Because, surely, if I can get a used game three weeks after launch for half the price, the value of the game has been effectively eroded for me. Why, after all, would I want to spend $60 on a game new when I can just get it in a few days/weeks at a far lower price?

But the devaluation argument isn't applied there (or isn't viewed as an important enough extenuation). Which, I agree, used game sales give us value and choice as a customer, so fuck the devaluation argument. But that is also the case for subscription services. Services like Game Pass give me choice and value. Why is the devaluation argument mysteriously being applied to services like it, but not towards used games?

Subscription services have not devalued content in any other industry. People don't value movies or TV less because of Netflix, or music less because of Spotify. To me, the devaluation argument in this instance as applied by people on ResetEra appears to be a false strawman erected specifically to argue on lines drawn along brand loyalties, rather than having any actual merit in and of itself - because if subscription services like Game Pass are bad because of devaluation of content, then we should all be on board with banning used game sales too. Those also devalue content.

Saying Game Pass gives you choice and value is obviously subjective. You get to choose from games that are on the service. You don't get to choose any game on the Xbox library. As far as value, it's just like renting a game. When you don't want to pay the subscription anymore, you give the games back. Different people will have different opinions on whether that's a good value or not.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Just look at Nintendo titles. They famously don't get discounted for a long, long time. In consequence, used game prices for them are also higher than even many non-used games that get deep discounts just two months after release. So the impact of used game sales on game values isn't really that high.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
"Devalue" ugh. I play games for the enjoyment I receive from them, not from some arbitrary monetary value they may or may not have. Thanks, capitalism.

You visibly don't know what devaluation mean. Your personal sense of enjoyment isn't an universal parameter for what the market (a.k.a us - consumers - developers, publishers, retailers etc.) thinks about value.

And yes, thanks capitalism, indeed. The capitalist bourgeois democracy is the reason why this market (or any other you may find enjoyment in) actually exists.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017

I disagree

musicians more and more have to use patreon and constant touring to make ends meet

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Probably important to note for a lot of people that being able to sell a game gives rights to the consumer whereas moving games to subscription services takes rights away from the consumer

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Subscription services have not devalued content in any other industry. People don't value movies or TV less because of Netflix, or music less because of Spotify. To me, the devaluation argument in this instance as applied by people on ResetEra appears to be a false strawman erected specifically to argue on lines drawn along brand loyalties, rather than having any actual merit in and of itself - because if subscription services like Game Pass are bad because of devaluation of content, then we should all be on board with banning used game sales too. Those also devalue content.

Absolute nonsense. The devaluation of music and TV from streaming has been severe. Music artists are largely reliant on gigs and other income streams because streams of their songs are generally paying jack shit. That used to be vastly different.

So no, your premise is completely flawed.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But... doesn't the devaluation argument apply to used games too? Because, surely, if I can get a used game three weeks after launch for half the price, the value of the game has been effectively eroded for me. Why, after all, would I want to spend $60 on a game new when I can just get it in a few days/weeks at a far lower price?

Your forgetting that used games are commonly used for people of lower income to afford those brand new games they really want. More often then not used games go right back into the industry.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
There were plenty of arguments back in the day at the old place about used games. People would argue against used games because it was "piracy" or would "devalue" games for the average consumer. Some of the same arguments are being recycled against subscription services now. It's a futile argument because like me the average consumer does not give two shits about a publisher/developers bottom line and care mostly about ours.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
There is something always devaluing games or media. I remember way back when Steam sales were considered harmful. Then it was mobile, f2p, humble bundle, and now subscriptions. Meanwhile the industry at large seems to keep making more money.

People think publishers talking about single player games and the value will "protect" the games. Truth is even if you pay $60 for a new title, almost every company just wants more regardless. Bethesda made a big show about single player games and now they're offering subs within a game.

Even first party studios like Nintendo and Sony are dipping their toes . UC4 had multiplayer boosters, Nintendo is slowly doing dlc and mobile. Not saying they shouldn't or that they've done these moves poorly. I just mean they're always going to look for more money.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is no devaluation
god as someone who was worked a bit in the fringes of the music industry and has close friends who are professional musicians this is just one of the most infuriatingly, bafflingly ignorant things i have ever read on this website (and there is a lot of competition)

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
god as someone who was worked a bit in the fringes of the music industry and has close friends who are professional musicians this is just one of the most infuriatingly, bafflingly ignorant things i have ever read on this website (and there is a lot of competition)
OP made a thread based on a single Tweet about 23 people that signed a petition wanting to ban Pokemon S&S from coming to the US. I honestly think OP gets bored and creates threads about anything simply to converse with people and not be bored.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a min....I thought the original issue was new games day n date.

Now it's just the sub service? I don't think anyone were really against it. EAAccess doesn't get as much hate now.

PSPlus didn't get any hate as far as devaluing, same for Games with Gold.

New games on the service day one? I can see that being an issue.

C'mon OP, you know good n well what the topic of conversation really is with these services.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Vinyl sales experience record highs every year.
The people who still value music enough to pay for it pay for it
This is a tacit admission of the devaluation

How? People still go to concerts and pay money for those.
A concert is not recorded music, it's a completely separate revenue stream. Producers, songwriters, session musicians, mastering engineers, etc, are not part of this process. That also doesn't even go into the scenarios for artists that are incapable of constant touring and the horrible effects of it on mental physical health. Finally, in this analogy, game developers have no concert equivalent to fall back on if their game sale revenue plummets.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Gamepass is digital and widespread, sometimes for $1/month.

Used games are physical and involves the effort to actually do business with unknown people without being sure of the product condition.

The $1 a month for Gamepass is a temporary deal targeted at new users. It's a standard user acquisition move that most companies use.
These deals won't be there forever, no more than anyone expects Apple TV + to be free forever to subscribers.

If TLOU2 launched on PSNow day 1 and you could get a trial sub for $2, you dont think that would affect the consumer's perception of value for future titles?

Nope, because ideally that customer would never be offered a $1 deal again.

Amazon gives away cheap Prime and Audible deals for new subs. I am never eligible for any of these since I've been on Prime since 2011.

You can be sure I won't get any more free months of Apple TV + when my free year ends in November 2020.