• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I adore my frenchie, and she has zero breathing issues (no snoring, no grunting, none of that).

The local breeder we got her from is very particular with their lineage and breeding pairs, and all of their dogs have been extremely healthy.

There's a lot of misonception around the breeding of frenchies, because the breed is unfortunately tainted by a lot of puppy mills that sell overseas etc.

We went local and it was a huge difference in terms of comfort level / trust.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have one and he was rescued. A lot of the frenchie panic you see on the internet is way overblown. Their existence is not suffering lol. Some cases are of course much worse than others but I think you're being pretty reactionary if you look down on someone who owns a Frenchie. People get insane about it online even when having zero direct experience to base an opinion on.

Breeding them is another story all together.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I like other types of dogs, ones that are more athletic and can go hiking with me, more. frenchies are like purse dogs for instagram

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
We have a Frenchie and we love him:) He's 7 and very active and healthy. People can judge if they want. Everyone can be judged negatively on something they buy or participate in. Unfortunately there is very little these days that you can buy that doesn't derive from cruelty of some sort.

Pugs have it even worse tbh and have been popular for much much longer and way before this "they can't breathe through there noses" stuff became so prevalent. Post your pics op and don't worry about it.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
Yeah, this is the key piece. Don't interact with breeders at all, but if you see one of these dogs in a shelter, there's nothing wrong with giving them a home. Given their dispensity for health issues, they could use it <3

Except when you post about your french bulldog on instagram and what not you are promoting the breed.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I adore my frenchie, and she has zero breathing issues (no snoring, no grunting, none of that).

The local breeder we got her from is very particular with their lineage and breeding pairs, and all of their dogs have been extremely healthy.

There's a lot of misonception around the breeding of frenchies, because the breed is unfortunately tainted by a lot of puppy mills that sell overseas etc.

We went local and it was a huge difference in terms of comfort level / trust.

The fact that he's apparently healthy (and I do hope your dog never has any complication) doesn't mean that he doesn't have increased susceptibility to, for example, pulmonary disease. Brachiocephalic breeds have morphologic abnormalities.

You can get an easy procedure via laser to open their nostrils more.
That's only one of the many health issues with french bulldogs.

Oct 27, 2017
Small dogs in general suck. The forced breeding of bad traits is just more justification.

If your dog is less than 40-50 lbs, get a cat.

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
There's also a BBC documentary called Pedigree Dogs Exposed or something similar that's worth watching if you can find it. I watched it years ago and it's so sad how cruel this really is.
I don't hate any breed of dogs (or cats or other animals), but I hate that we breed them for aesthic reasons and not health, and of course the reason is money.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
BAeovKD.jpg
cafiPte.jpg

don't hate.

I think everybody agrees that that a companion dog absolutely deserves to be loved and cherished, and nobody would 'hate' a lovely individual dog --- but the process of seeking a brachycephalic breed out and supporting their breeding is simply unethical. You've purposely supported the breeding of a dog that will suffer from health issues to look cute. I'm glad that you care for your dog---they definitely require your unwavering love, support, and attention to survive.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I don't hate them, but I do feel bad for them. I also feel bad for the owners who will also suffer as they see the health problems manifest.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Eating meat is unethical and destroying this planet, but I'm sure many people here won't give up their steaks just because they're delicious. Or they don't care that their precious video game machines are made via slave labor. There's no winning.

Luixfern

Oct 27, 2017
We had two Boston Terriers growing up, excuse my ignorance, but does the same apply to them? They look similar, and they always sounded like they were snorting instead of breathing. What about English bulldogs?

I have a Boston as well but I never gotten any pushback. I think a huge factor is that (IIRC) Frenchies cannot naturally breed so only way to get one is with human intervention. This is one of the reasons why they are soo expensive.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Resetera in a nutshell lol

My SO's family has adopted and fostered rescue pugs for years. These dogs need homes too and owning one isn't bad. Not everyone is buying from breeders and puppy mills

Owning them, especially through means of rescue isn't bad. Once born, they deserve our support. But the demand and popularity that caused them to be bred in the first place with such problematic features is a serious issue.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Except when you post about your french bulldog on instagram and what not you are promoting the breed.

Eh, it's weird to tell people to pretend like they don't have a dog.

I have a pit mix and regardless of people's thoughts on them, I'm posting his goofy face if I want
dav.jpg