• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I personally don't care if they are connected linguistically. Gay and straight aren't, and people who don't identify as cis often identify as gender fluid, non binary, etc which also don't fit a single linguistically mold.

If cisgendered people who prefer another adjective want one... do one. The problem is the only alternatives I ever see are "nothing" (implied default) or "normal" or a synonym to that effect.
Agree that "nothing" or "normal" is not appropriate. There should be some descriptor -- the state of being cisgender needs a word just as much as the state of being transgender.

But, I'm fine with cis, so I'll leave the wordsmithing to others.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think a lot of people don't know what it means, and when they see it being thrown at them, they just assume it's an insult and go on the defensive.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
In thinking about this some, I think the best argument against "cisgender" is it captures both people who actually affirmatively identify with their gender assigned at birth in the same way that a trans person does the opposite AND people that don't really have any strong ties to gender and gender identity as a concept but use their assigned gender just to function the most easily in society. It's not really in the spirit of our increasingly broad conceptualization of gender identity to conflate these two different people into one label.

I consider myself more in the latter group. I increasingly don't see myself as affirmatively identifying as a "man" these days. Frankly I don't think I'm ever going to be non-binary or any other gender but still call myself a man to get along because that's the path of least resistance. Does that make me "cis" in the same way someone assigned female at birth has never thought of themselves as anything but a woman, loves being a woman, feels belonging as a woman, etc.? In other words, trans people don't seem to really really be incidentally the gender they transition to -- it's almost always a big part of them -- while cisgender all the time just kind of are their gender because society, even if they never really bought into it. And yet the terms are meant to mirror each other.

Trans is a broad spectrum so you are welcome to say trans

You do not make a compelling argument against cis here.

And I take great offense btw that you think my gender can't be incidental to me just because I'm trans.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
"Cis" implies that there is no hierarchy of "Normal People vs Not Normal People", and that makes people uncomfortable. Sometimes it's on purpose by people who hate anyone not Cis, and sometimes it's a result of ignorance and a lack of knowledge leading to a sheltered worldview.

The problem is that people are all too quick to let non-cis people get hurt, instead of withstanding some discomfort or doing the smallest amount of work. So many excuses as to why people don't like "cis" really translate to being ok with other people getting hurt if they don't have to allow their worldview to change.

The Hiveking

Oct 27, 2017
In thinking about this some, I think the best argument against "cisgender" is it captures both people who actually affirmatively identify with their gender assigned at birth in the same way that a trans person does the opposite AND people that don't really have any strong ties to gender and gender identity as a concept but use their assigned gender just to function the most easily in society. It's not really in the spirit of our increasingly broad conceptualization of gender identity to conflate these two different people into one label.

I consider myself more in the latter group. I increasingly don't see myself as affirmatively identifying as a "man" these days. Frankly I don't think I'm ever going to be non-binary or any other gender but still call myself a man to get along because that's the path of least resistance. Does that make me "cis" in the same way someone assigned female at birth has never thought of themselves as anything but a woman, loves being a woman, feels belonging as a woman, etc.? In other words, trans people don't seem to really really be incidentally the gender they transition to -- it's almost always a big part of them -- while cisgender all the time just kind of are their gender because society, even if they never really bought into it. And yet the terms are meant to mirror each other.
Good post. This pretty much sums up how I feel.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you not care about gender, or do you not care about *your* gender? If the former, stop that and care please. If the latter, you're not cis because you don't identify as or with any gender (in fact, you could probably call yourself "agender" if you want a label). To be cis is to specifically care about being the same gender you were assigned at birth.
I'm not looking for a label or my gender identity or anything. I just want to know if someone who goes on a zoom call to discuss trans issues or something, who was assigned male at birth, goes by he/him, calls himself a man, but that's pretty much the extent to how they think about gender, if he gets called "cis" do you think that's an appropriate use of the word or it's not?

If most say it's not then yeah I guess I really have no problem with cisgender as a term.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I read it. You can push back against people not liking the term, but in a thread about people not liking the term, it's counterproductive. It's important to recognize that some people support the idea but dislike the term. And it's valid for people to feel that way.

There were plenty of assumptions throughout the thread that disdain for the term all originates with transphobia. Conflating two very different viewpoints doesn't help anyone.

No

100% pushing back against why people have an irrational reaction to a benign descriptor is 100% productive

This thread isn't the I don't like cis support group where everyone holds your hand and validates your position

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
A lot of people showing their privilege in this thread.

"Non-trans people should be the default."

"I don't care for labels."

"I wish an alternative or synonym was used!"

"I don't like the way it sounds!"

"Why do we need a term for it?"

"The trans community uses it to imply transphobia about people who aren't trans!"

Seriously?

It's honestly infuriating and insulting to keep reading these kinds of posts. It's also veering (or plunging head first) into transphobia too.

Understand the following statement: When a group. near universally regarded as more privileged, is considered the default or the normal, the other group automatically becomes marginalized by association. Yes, said group is the majority. But that doesn't necessarily mean they should be the "default" in people's minds. By doing this, you demean our struggle to be seen with respect and to be seen as equals. You downplay the scientific and philosophical importance of having terms like this. Perhaps most noticeably, however, you give significant power and ammunition to the worst of the bigots and transphobes. Which lets them hurt us even more, and take away our rights and our dignity.

The term "cisgender" has an important context within relevant discussions. It's not a slur, and it's been used for years. You don't care about labels? Good, you're very unlike to hear it used in regular conversation anyhow. I can count the amount of times that I, a trans person, have heard it in a context that wasn't relevant and wasn't also an attempt at bigotry. You ask why do we need a term for it? Because the distinction is important. Like "heterosexual" vs "homosexual" or "straight" vs "gay." And guess what? Those terms have importance within their relevant context too.

You've never heard the word used before? We live in cultures and societies that are inherently transphobic. This is especially true if you're from the UK, where transphobes have gained a significant foothold regarding the messaging about transgender people. How many discussions on JK Rowling and the influence she's had over TERFs have we had at Era?

You don't like the way it sounds? What exactly is so offending to you about a commonly used Latin prefix? We use them all the time in our culture. What is so special about this ONE SPECIFIC WORD that it bothers you so much?

You wish there was an alternative or synonym to use, but you've never once in your life suggested what that alternative might be? Well why not engage that conversation if you really feel it should be alternative? I personally have never once heard this argument made in good faith and/or had the person also stick around to actually discuss what might be an appropriate alternative.

Trans people use it as a "pejorative"? You don't like it when we use it in regards to cisgender people? Probably because so many people love to downplay our struggles. Often over the pettiest of things. We experience discrimination almost EVERY DAY of our lives. In places that you would never expect to be discriminated against.

I got discriminated against three times today at work alone, just because people heard my name and my voice didn't quite match the picture in their head. I also got "Sir'd" by several people despite introducing myself with an obviously feminine first name, often seconds after the fact. It's demoralizing and disillusioning. And now you're saying we use it as a pejorative?

Might want to check yourself there if that is the kind of argument you're making.

Cisgender isn't going anywhere as a word. It's here to stay. barring a significant cultural shift in the English language. You can either get over your silly issues with it and help us normalize it, so trans people can be seen as valid and legitimate. Or you can continue to engage in actions that hurt us and give our worst enemies more firepower to hurt us.

giphy.gif

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not looking for a label or my gender identity or anything. I just want to know if someone who goes on a zoom call to discuss trans issues or something, who was assigned male at birth, goes by he/him, calls himself a man, but that's pretty much the extent to how they think about gender, if he gets called "cis" do you think that's a good use of the word or it's not?

If most say it's not then yeah I guess I really have no problem with cisgender as a term.
Cisgender just means your personal identity, your gender, matches your birth sex.

If you do not find that to be true, then that is not you.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Am I really questioning though? I have near full confidence I will never present anything other than man. I really just don't care about gender. It was my impression that was definitely what we would call a cisgender person.

being cis and trans have ZERO to do with presentation.
A trans woman was a woman since day 1. Don't care how many years society saw her as a man.
Drag queens and "super gay" men that have a super feminine gender expression can still be cis as fuck.

it is 100% about how you identify. Whatever you can or you want to do anything about it is irrelevant.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
It has been explained in this thread more than adequately to understand.
In this thread, yes.
But someone new to the term might not grasp it's importance at the first explanation. I know I didn't... I had to be exposed to the term more frequently to understand it's significance.

Should the term "Cis" be accepted : Yes
We need to keep the conversation alive and we will get there.

I just don't think portraying people who have yet to grasp the importance of the term as "Bad" is a good way to get there.

Again... I'm not denying that there are assholes who are simply transphobic but, not everyone fits that mold.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I really only started hearing the term over the last few years and it felt very sudden on various shows I listen to. I didn't even know what it meant, but the way it was said and the context it was being used in sounded like an insult. But then it didn't. Then it did. I was confused. It's not even an easy word to look up. Why the fuck would I assume it's c-i-s?!
All that being said, now that I know what it is, I have no issue with the word. It seems academic. But any word can be insulting given the context. Like if you brush aside somebody's opinion and say it's cause they're cisgender, that could be accurate or it could be dismissive and insulting. The word itself is fine but the usage may not be, like if somebody said to me, "it's cause you're a Jew." Yeah, it might be factually accurate, and the words in a vacuum are fine, but that could definitely be said offensively.
But there are no examples in the OP. So it's important to note that if I share an anecdote or give an example where I think it might be okay to be offended by the word cisgender, that doesn't mean I'm speaking for all instances where a cisgender person is simply being an insensitive piece of shit.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
In this thread, yes.
But someone new to the term might not grasp it's importance at the first explanation. I know I didn't... I had to be exposed to the term more frequently to understand it's significance.

Should the term "Cis" be accepted : Yes
We need to keep the conversation alive and we will get there.

I just don't think portraying people who have yet to grasp the importance of the term as "Bad" is a good way to get there.

Again... I'm not denying that there are assholes who are simply transphobic but, not everyone fits that mold.
I don't think anyone is portraying people who have not grasped it but would be willing to listen as bad, though.

OhMoveOver

Oct 5, 2018
But the apprehension is rooted in transphobia. It's literally just our version of hetero/straight

Cis isn't a slur.
I'm not gonna disagree, it was probably a poor example on my part.

To me, I just really dislike anyone being given a label. It ties into memories of being assumed as straight as a younger self, having a whole future assumed. Just from that experience, I've always preferred people to be able to say who they are when they feel comfortable. But that's off-topic, yes being called Cis isn't a slur, and being upset over it is likely either rooted in transphobia or ignorance to the subject.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I really only started hearing the term over the last few years and it felt very sudden on various shows I listen to. I didn't even know what it meant, but the way it was said and the context it was being used in sounded like an insult. But then it didn't. Then it did. I was confused. It's not even an easy word to look up. Why the fuck would I assume it's c-i-s?!
All that being said, now that I know what it is, I have no issue with the word. It seems academic. But any word can be insulting given the context. Like if you brush aside somebody's opinion and say it's cause they're cisgender, that could be accurate or it could be dismissive and insulting. The word itself is fine but the usage may not be, like if somebody said to me, "it's cause you're a Jew." Yeah, it might be factually accurate, and the words in a vacuum are fine, but that could definitely be said offensively.
But there are no examples in the OP. So it's important to note that if I share an anecdote or give an example where I think it might be okay to be offended by the word cisgender, that doesn't mean I'm speaking for all instances where a cisgender person is simply being an insensitive piece of shit.
In the context of someone brushing someone's opinion aside "because they are cis"...

What is the opinion?
How was it expressed?
Etc...

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not looking for a label or my gender identity or anything. I just want to know if someone who goes on a zoom call to discuss trans issues or something, who was assigned male at birth, goes by he/him, calls himself a man, but that's pretty much the extent to how they think about gender, if he gets called "cis" do you think that's an appropriate use of the word or it's not?

I'd argue cis people in general don't think of their gender too often, but ultimately the decision is up to the individual.

I'm NB, use primarily male pronouns, present mostly male, but I still consider myself trans because I don't "feel" male. Up until 2 years ago, I would have felt I still fit more as a "cis" male, feelings can change on this and neither way is wrong (which is kind of the whole point of not making cis an unsaid 'default').

There is no rule that states you have to identify as trans or cis ever, but for those that do it's an important distinction especially when talking about rights, laws, etc.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Generally yes but you're free to say I'm more gender fluid than cisgender

How is your example not an appropriate usage of the term, clearly if said man considers gender not one iota beyond what you laid out... that's textbook cisgender

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
i am furious i am being labeled cisgender. now it sits along side heterosexual, homo sapien, and other things that accurately describe my existence. furious i say.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I honestly think a lot of people don't know what it means, and when they see it being thrown at them, they just assume it's an insult and go on the defensive.
What I'm having a hard time understanding is, as evidently since trans/queer folk are likely they ones introducing most cis people to the term, why would a cis person automatically assume that it is an insult? Is it just assumed that trans/queer folk are naturally inclined to be insulting toward others not like them? (If so, I'd say there's a healthy dose of projection there.)

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

Honestly before I knew what it meant I thought I was being insulted when I was called cis. Probably down to the way some people say it.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Is it 2015 again? I thought this was a settled issue by now. No, cis people don't have a right to be protected from the term "cis."

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't help that it's often used as an insult when there's any sort of beef that may or may not have anything to do with the person being cis.
So you're saying if you're trans, you can never be wrong? Even if just for an instant on a bad day?

Just how often do you hear cisgender used as a means of insult? I honestly have a hard time believing that the most significant context you've heard the word used is in a demeaning context...

seriously4ojwz.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Good post. This pretty much sums up how I feel.

and you both are wrong because that definition of cisgender is wrong.

You either align with the sex your were born into or you don't
this is not politics, it is geometry you either align or you will cross it one day, don't matter how little is the angle difference

julian

Oct 27, 2017
No, that's my point... it's almost always because the cisgender person has said some bullshit and is being called on it. I was asking you to look into it.
That's why I ended with "that doesn't mean I'm speaking for all instances where a cisgender person is simply being an insensitive piece of shit".

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I ended with "that doesn't mean I'm speaking for all instances where a cisgender person is simply being an insensitive piece of shit".
Right, but the point is your entire point surrounding that really doesn't have much weight behind it. The vast majority of the time opinions are dismissed is because of cis bullshit being called out. You can find people dismissing others opinions everywhere for all reasons, this is not some concern that really needs addressing in this situation.

Unless you can show me a significant amount of cis people being dismissed without any kind of bullslhit on their part?

Smutpeddler

Jan 11, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Commentary Around Identity and Minority Issues
I don't like any label. I don't like being labelled an atheist, even though the concept of gods is purely ridiculous. I don't adhere to political parties or social norms. I have a name and I'm an individual.
Labels may signify a part of who we are, but they are not the makeup of our character or what makes us individuals. Belonging to groups separates us from the species that we are. Labels minimize our character into parts and tags. It separates us.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
If people want to blame someone for the word sounding bad should blame Latin as a language and science for using the word. It's not just made up out of whole cloth.
I took Latin for years and I place the blame squarely at their feet.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like any label. I don't like being labelled an atheist, even though the concept of gods is purely ridiculous. I don't adhere to political parties or social norms. I have a name and I'm an individual.
Labels may signify a part of who we are, but they are not the makeup of our character or what makes us individuals. Belonging to groups separates us from the species that we are. Labels minimize our character into parts and tags. It separates us.

Yet you label yourself as a smutpeddler

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"I don't see colour"

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't quite thought of it like that, but you're right. And never having to deal with that sort of identity struggle is a privilege in itself.
While the whole arc of this comic is really well done, this is a good take on the difference between trans and cis gendered people.

20200703-3394.jpg

In general cis people don't really give gender much thought besides what might be considered traditionally gendered clothing or activity... that's still a generalization of course, every single person is different, but I think that helps paint a bigger picture on why gender identity is so important to anyone who doesn't consider themselves cis.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Why do you consider cisgender to be a label, and not an academic term to describe someone who's gender and sex aligned?

What do you propose that trans people, a group frequently marginalized as "others" and "not the default", use in it's place?

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Can't help but wonder how many of the cis folks in this describing the first time they "heard" the term and automatically assuming it was an insult because of "how it was said"...if this first encounter took place irl or on social media/forums?

Because if it's the latter, a lot of what people "hear" in something that is typed online isn't actually there and has more todo with what baggage the "listener" has brought to the discussion. In real life, as we all know, various cues such as tone of voice can help to clarify ambiguities which otherwise prevail online. (For instance, I have little doubt some here reading my posts are "hearing" them expressed in a very angry, aggressive tone, when in fact I could hardly be more calm.)

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
What I'm having a hard time understanding is, as evidently since trans/queer folk are likely they ones introducing most cis people to the term, why would a cis person automatically assume that it is an insult? Is it just assumed that trans/queer folk are naturally inclined to be insulting toward others not like them? (If so, I'd say there's a healthy dose of projection there.)
Contextually because I first was exposed to it on Twitter from people that did not identify and trans, flinging it around as an insult in typical Twitter fashion.

As I said in my previous posts, I've reflected and learned since then, but that was the source of my originally reaction I had. I had no context for it and it was being used pejoratively. I went and googled it and read more about it to understand it wasn't later.

Frankly, I'm not as "online" as a lot of people and my family and friends I grew up with aren't very exposed either. Now that I live in a more progressive city and have friends that engage it, I get it more. But for many, they are in a bubble and don't even know it. Exposure is a really thing to help people change, but that can be hard for people on a number of levels.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
GalliaCisalpinaCartOrt.png

I realize it's been 2,000 years and change, but Cisalpine Gaul is still too contentious for us, the regular, normal if you will, Gauls to accept. Can the Transalpine Gauls just wait a few centuries?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We've still not seen any examples of these pejorative usages from anyone in this thread, have we? Not saying they don't exist, I'd just like to see some examples to understand precisely where some of you are coming from.

Oct 25, 2017

Because being insulting is what they would do.

Smutpeddler

Jan 11, 2018
Why do you consider cisgender to be a label, and not an academic term to describe someone who's gender and sex aligned?

What do you propose that trans people, a group frequently marginalized as "others" and "not the default", use in it's place?
How do we address everything in our lives with labels? That isn't the defining feature of who we are. Why are we minimizing anyone?

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
We've still not seen any examples of these pejorative usages from anyone in this thread, have we? Not saying they don't exist, I'd just like to see some examples to understand precisely where some of you are coming from.
No. Not at all. And honestly, I don't see "cis" being used much at all in non-progressive circles.

I would venture to guess a lot of people who are not progressive are mostly exposed to the phrase through retweets and insta stories from their friend/cousin/sibling/grandkid who is more progressive. I think that context is ripe for misunderstanding given the likely defensiveness of the receiver. That's not a you problem though. That's a them problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.