• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't come across that last paragraph personally but I'm not sure why (most) cis people would be talking about differences between cis and trans healthcare on the regular. For a lot of trans people it's a necessity and an issue that's directly relevant to our ability to live though.

I think the only time I've ever heard such a paragraph is when it would be contextually relevant. I used to belong to an LGBTQ+ club, and that's about the only place you'd hear it. But that's cuz a significant amount of members were trans. And nobody used it as an insult, nor did anyone obligate themselves to identify as cisgender or transgender.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I am a teacher of multiple trans students so these conversations come up regularly.

Teenage boys are weird.

I would say 80% of students are pretty accommodating though, and the other 20% is usually polite enough to be quiet about it at least.
Fair enough - would be kinda weird to have someone straight up address themselves but within that context of trying I guess it'd be endearing.

I think the only time I've ever heard such a paragraph is when it would be contextually relevant. I used to belong to an LGBTQ+ club, and that's about the only place you'd hear it. But that's cuz a significant amount of members were trans. And nobody used it as an insult, nor did anyone obligate themselves to identify as cisgender or transgender.
That's fair. I was thinking more in general day to day but I can totally see that.

Why? What percentage of people are transgender? Cis should be the default. I don't think that's being disrespectful to transgender people to say that.
🥴

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Dismissive and toxic pedantry
People are perfectly free to use that term if they want.

I'd just rather use an alternative or synonym instead.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
Why? What percentage of people are transgender? Cis should be the default. I don't think that's being disrespectful to transgender people to say that.

You don't get a say in what is disrespectful to trans people.

Also, it's like saying being straight is the default. For a long time people think that's the default, but recent studies in trans people show that sexuality is much more varied (straight:gay:bi/pan about 1:1:1) than people originally thought, and no one of them can be considered "default".

It is the cishet normative society that makes being cis the "default".

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Asking people to be considerate of others is extremely difficult when you live ignorant of anything that isn't immediately about yourself. I'd say that's the vast majority of people.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You understand that you're essentially advocating for people to treat trans people different, right? When one group is the "default" just because they're the majority, the other (minority) group automatically becomes" "abnormal" or "not the default."

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
I used to think it was slur for white people or something. I always heard it used like "cis white male", which should have made it more obvious it wasn't a slur. I guess for a lot of people it's just putting yourself in a box you weren't in before. I hear tons of people say "I'm as white/black/asian as they come" but no one wants to claim cis like that. There is no pride in it for most people.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a cisgender white male but I don't find that to be a particularly important identifier. It captures nothing about who I am as a person.

I don't find it uncomfortable or offensive. I'm just not big into labels. I'm a "people are people" kind of guy.

You realize that that applies to trans people too right?

Trans doesn't capture who someone is as person either

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
"Default" in this case refers to what gets to be blessed as "normal." The cancellation of "defaults" is nothing more than an acknowledgement that they pin arbitrary abnormality on anybody who isn't part of it. See "default white" or "default male" when it comes to media representation.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Sounds close to sissy or sis. I dunno, I guess it sounds feminine? I imagine insecurities play a role regardless the reason people are apprehensive about using it or having it used to describe them.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The assumption that everyone is cisgender outside of those outspoken and out people who're trans also completely erases those unable to be so for a variety of factors.

Honestly one large hurdle I've come across is getting people to appreciate that cis and straight are decoupled. Gender identity and sexuality are still heavily linked in a lot of people's minds.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that a group of people is a majority absolutely should not give them status as a "default" in society. To do so would be needlessly alienating to large amounts of people who suddenly are burdened with an outsider status that helps no one and often encourages some in that majority group to feel justified in looking down or discriminating against them. It's incredibly easy to just... not treat one group as the default. In the end to do so doesn't hurt anybody, and it helps to remove the stigma of being outside "normalcy" in society, which can often be the justification for a lot of hateful views.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I can understand (in a positive way, obviously excluding people who hate it just because it means they can't be called "normal"), is that it's a term applied to them, rather than by them. An example would be how, in Canada, we've changed the general term for "native" people from aboriginal to Indigenous, as they wanted to be called that (not a term applied by a colonizer). So in that sense, I can understand why someone might want to label themselves as straight, for example, rather than cisgender, being that they are more comfortable with the term. Even if the term is considered outdated by some, it is similar to how many "native" people in the US still self-identify as Indian even though that term is considered offensive by many younger Indigenous people.

tl;dr: Some cisgender people likely want to use a term that they want, rather than a term "applied" to them (which is ironic, of course, since the cisgender majority has applied terms to other people through the past). But, I get the impulse.

Yeah maybe don't compare cis to an act of imperialist colonialism

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If I were to misgender someone, I'd apoliogize and call them the gender they prefer to be called. Whats so bad about that:?
No one type of person should ever been seen as the default. Doing so automatically puts them in a position of power over others as they are the "normal" people and everyone else is an "other".

This kind of thinking is at the root cause of bigotry.

Honestly, you should be able to read the replies in this thread now and understand this. It is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
"Default" in this case refers to what gets to be blessed as "normal." The cancellation of "defaults" is nothing more than an acknowledgement that they pin arbitrary abnormality on anybody who isn't part of it. See "default white" or "default male" when it comes to media representation.

I'm a gay guy who is perfectly at peace that ny sexual orientation is not the default and it doesn't bother me at all.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
If I were to misgender someone, I'd apoliogize and call them the gender they prefer to be called. Whats so bad about that:?
That's fine, but maybe, just maybe, you should listen to what trans people are telling you instead of talking over them, and telling them how they should feel when they are not part of the "default" group.

No one is trying to attack or belittle you, but you sure are to us by playing that card. At this point you've been clearly informed, so if you're still not listening, I can only assume it's intentional and you're playing dumb so you can continue to do it.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Cisgender is fine as a term. Cis and Trans are opposites in Latin, so it makes linguistic sense. Seeing it as derogatory or gross is ridiculous, you might as well say you don't like Latin.

I think there are just cis people who are salty about being told their opinion doesn't matter on a subject because they are cis. But there are some subjects where a cis person maybe doesn't really need to weigh in.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Dude has been prodding and trolling trans topics since like 2018 lol. I would resist the bait.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
User Banned (Permanent): Transphobic trolling across a series of posts; prior severe ban for transphobia
That's fine, but maybe, just maybe, you should listen to what trans people are telling you instead of talking over them, and telling them how they should feel when they are not part of the "default" group.

No one is trying to attack or belittle you, but you sure are to us by playing that card. At this point you've been clearly informed, so if you're still not listening, I can only assume it's intentional and you're playing dumb so you can continue to do it.

Sorry to tell you, but gay people are bothered all the time.. but it just doesn't;t bother me.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine it's the same reason why I dislike being called Queer , as I identify as Gay. I'm not queer, I remember "Queer" being an extremely offensive thing thrown around when I was younger so the connotation is just negative. Nobody likes to be labeled as something they do not identify as, however, it is often those same people that find it very easy to label others that often get offended, so hypocrisy as well I suppose?

But they do identify as it inherently by not being trans in any way.

And really weird to compare cis to a semi reclaimed slur instead of straight, heterosexual, etc...

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, the complaining about how the word "cis" sounds uncool/lame as reason for the pushback really blows my mind like, "yeah okay, it's a less cool word, I think most of us would trade in order to get some equal rights". Like even to be able to complain about it is really an indication of how much smoother everything is when your gender identity has so long been the default.

And like trans isn't some super cool word either lol

astro

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

AJ+ - Muslim artist challenges a sexualized design of niqabi-wearing superhero Dust

That's how most women are shaped. Maybe not in the US..

It's as blatant now as it was back then. Just report and move on. He just wants his attention and derail time.
So you're just admitting to trolling now, intentionally using transphobic tactics because you simply don't care what trans people actually think or say about it. Got it, won't waste my time on you anymore.
Dude's a clown designing his comments just perfectly to antagonise and skirt staff action.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Devils Advocate: I think some people take umbrage with the term because of the way it was used by certain groups in the trans community a few years back. (i.e. calling cis people cissies, and the whole "die cis scum" meme that happened almost a decade back).

The Devil has the best lawyers in history on retainer, he doesn't need your pro bono work.

The Hiveking

Oct 27, 2017
It kind of assumes that people think about gender in a specific way, ie. they have a strong feeling of innate gender. I don't really identify with that.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
It's a descriptive term that precisely demonstrates that all people can have a modifier ascribed to them: cis or trans. Whether or not it "sounds" weird doesn't matter.

Say "trans" a hundred times and it'll sound weird.

Do the same for "cis," or "potato," or "Nintendo." Also weird.

That's why the sound argument fails.

Cis people don't like the term because it makes them consider things -- like, think really hard about certain things when they wouldn't ordinarily need to do that. Our discomfort, such that it's even valid, is less important than validating and normalizing the existence of trans folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.