• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Yes it's a valid response, but it feels pretty damn tone deaf. But hey, I'm not cisgender so who am I to have an opinion on the word?
No worries. I'm used to cis people's discomfort being all us angry trans's fault. Carry on.
Honest question, because there's something I'm not getting - why does it go like this:

a. Why do cisgender people hate "cuz?"
b. "I don't like it because it sounds gross."
c. "That's tone deaf." or "Guess it's us angry trans' fault as usual." (My paraphrase of your last replies.)

Like... why does it go from B to C?

edit: reading Astro's reply. BRB

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Every trans person I know has been so kind and understand to me in my life. I don't feel like that community owes us any apologies given how shitty we (cis white dudes) often are.
You're good and appreciated. Ftr, sounds like we came from the exact same culture of upbringing. Thank you for being open-minded and accepting.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
In my experience they dislike it being termed because it deviates them away from the 'normal' they've always been perceived to be.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
It's because it's a bit tone deaf to the struggles of other people who are routinely attacked by many cisgendered people for simply existing.

Of course it is technically a valid reason, but come on read the room...
Hrmm... would a proper, non-tone deaf response, if you wanted to answer the question, be to first acknowledge that you know it's not a big deal in the larger picture, but that you don't like how it sounds?

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There does seem to be quite an overreaction to the word from some people, I'll admit I was a bit confused by it when I first heard it, but after understanding what it meant I don't really see the problem with it. Sure it can be used to put someone down, but so can any other word. I just think some people are really trigger happy and ready to jump at even the suggestion of someone criticising them. Would probably be better if they just took a step back and looked at it from a more neutral standpoint.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
People can deal with change fine. People don't like change that negatively affects them.

Center of attention don't like not being the center of attention.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really a word that comes up in general conversation - indeed I only see it here and occasionally on Twitter, where it's usually used as an insult or in a demeaning manner, and I don't think I've heard it in any conversation in real life - so I can understand why it makes people uncomfortable.

Once people are more used to it and it's no longer perceived as such a bizarre word, I doubt it'll be treated any different to heterosexual as a term.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
Korviday has a video relevant to this. They cover a lot of what has already been said here but it's still a good watch.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Honest question, because there's something I'm not getting - why does it go like this:

a. Why do cisgender people hate "cuz?"
b. "I don't like it because it sounds gross."
c. "That's tone deaf." or "Guess it's us angry trans' fault as usual." (My paraphrase of your last replies.)

Like... why does it go from B to C?

edit: reading Astro's reply. BRB
I tell take a crack after some self reflection.

I think it's really easy for me to default to being able to talk about a lot of issues in a analytical or disconnected way and even with some humor because there's not emotional cost to any of it in my life.

So when asked something like this, it's not wrong for me to answer like I did on a factual basis, but for people that do have a lot of daily abuse and judgement against them with these words my response was just reinforcing that chasm.

So it probably would have been better to answer with some more awareness of who all is in the room and how that kind of dismissive response could be felt. Which is something that we aren't ever required to do as people who don't have much issue with being understood or heard. So it feels foreign - but it shouldn't be.

That's my (probably shitty) read on the responses.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hrmm... would a proper, non-tone deaf response, if you wanted to answer the question, be to first acknowledge that you know it's not a big deal in the larger picture, but that you don't like how it sounds?
I personally don't find it that big a deal, I put the tongue emote in my post for a reason. Other people will have different reactions to this, which are also valid, but to me I just found it amusing that the biggest struggle we were seeing ITT from cis folk regarding their gender identity was "the term is icky".

Some other people deal with farm more violence than I do, though, and to them the fact some cis people are getting upset because the term is icky is going to remind them of the stark difference in privilege.

If I was a cis person, and I found the word a bit gross sounding as it reminded me of something else, I'd just suck it up and not say anything honestly. It's hardly a huge thing to deal with, and helping the term gain acceptance will help guide us to the point where cisgender people are just naother type of gender identity and not the "default" and "normal" and even "correct".

I think it's really easy for me to default to being able to talk about a lot of issues in a analytical or disconnected way and even with some humor because there's not emotional cost to any of it in my life.

So when asked something like this, it's not wrong for me to answer like I did on a factual basis, but for people that do have a lot of daily abuse and judgement against them with these words my response was just reinforcing that chasm.

So it probably would have been better to answer with some more awareness of who all is in the room and how that kind of dismissive response could be felt. Which is something that we aren't ever required to do as people who don't have much issue with being understood or heard. So it feels foreign - but it shouldn't be.

Well said.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really a word that comes up in general conversation - indeed I only see it here and occasionally on Twitter, where it's usually used as an insult or in a demeaning manner, and I don't think I've heard it in any conversation in real life - so I can understand why it makes people uncomfortable.

Once people are more used to it and it's no longer perceived as such a bizarre word, I doubt it'll be treated any different to heterosexual as a term.
This is honestly probably confirmation bias. It's used just as often in a neutral way.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I mean is if you are a trans woman and want to be referred to as a woman I'm not going to say no you are trans. I'm gonna say ok your a woman etc. I'm not going to add an extra identifier if you are cis or trans
You may not realise it but this argument is the same one used by "I don't see colour, we're all the same race" people.

We need these words to address the reality and issues of the world we live in. Including prejudice from the majority group against the minority group. We can't have that discussion effectively if we pretend everyone is the same and, even if you don't intend to imply it, treated equally.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States

Some other people deal with farm more violence than I do, though, and to them the fact some cis people are getting upset because the term is icky is going to remind them of the stark difference in privilege.
That's really helpful - thank you both.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You may not realise it but this argument is the same one used by "I don't see colour, we're all the same race" people.

We need these words to address the reality and issues of the world we live in. Including prejudice from the majority group against the minority group. We can't have that discussion effectively if we pretend everyone is the same and, even if you don't intend to imply it, treated equally.
The way I see it is that it's about the context of the conversation at hand. The labels have their place and are very useful in said conversations in the topics that require them or direct identifiers are useful. It's always been to my understanding as a cisgender person that just dropping the fact people are trans is a rude and disrespectful thing singling them out. I'm more than happy to be corrected on this though.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a cisgender white male but I don't find that to be a particularly important identifier. It captures nothing about who I am as a person.

I don't find it uncomfortable or offensive. I'm just not big into labels. I'm a "people are people" kind of guy.
You're a head in the sand kind of guy, it sounds like. Which makes sense since you have cis white male privilege.

You are a product of your society and were born with those privileges. They have undoubtedly contributed to who you are as a person today.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it is that it's about the context of the conversation at hand. The labels have their place and are very useful in said conversations in the topics that require them or direct identifiers are useful. It's always been to my understanding as a cisgender person that just dropping the fact people are trans is a rude and disrespectful thing singling them out. I'm more than happy to be corrected on this though.
The discussion is more around the terms used in general ways. Not randomly singling out someone. Race and gender identity are both things we need to discuss as systemic issues and we cannot do that without "labels". Typically the people who object to them the most are part of the majority group or grew up with / around people with privilege and thus have a distorted view of reality, at least reality for the less privileged.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's understandably often more comfortable to be in the 'norm' of society. To feel like somehow one doesn't need to singled out for their traits. So for those who say it's uncomfortable to be identified through a specific label like cisgender... I get it. But here's the thing. Just because it's uncomfortable does not mean the term is inherently damaging or insulting. The comfort of fitting with the historical norms of society seems to partially come from feeling like you are the default to which anyone different is an outsider, but those who don't fit those norms don't deserve to feel some far greater discomfort simply because of that.

There's absolutely no reason to consider individuals who are not trans as "just men and women", that's both immensely insulting because of the contrast it draws to trans people and it honestly just makes any discussion about trans issues so needlessly muddled when more concrete terminology can make things clearer. Having a term for people who aren't trans is incredibly useful for these discussions and it also allows a sort of "leveling the playing field" by not assuming through language that one of these two groups is "normal".

And for those saying "I just want to call everyone a person, I don't need to use the terms transgender or cisgender" I think your heart is very likely in the right place but the fact is in modern society the world and society still makes it so that the experience of trans people has many different elements to it than cis people. While I can't speak to the identity of a trans person, as a gay man I actually kind of dislike when people tell me "oh well I see you just the same as everyone! To me you're not a gay man, you're a man." But I am gay. I've gone through a lot of experiences and personal struggles because of that part of me and it's shaped my identity in a way I don't want simply stripped from me. In just the same way I think it's important to recognize the unique identities for those who are trans, those who are black, etc. These identities matter, both from a point of examining large issues still very present to this day, but also because these labels do reflect differences in experience that could very well matter to people.

And when we take the time to recognize these identities and the experiences and struggles unique to them, I think a small but very important part of that is to be sure that, when speaking about trans topics, other queer topics, racial topics, and more, we don't simply assume that the majority group goes unlabeled simply because some feel they're "normal".

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it came heavily into the vernacular with a pejorative connotation yeah. Not necessarily used as a slur but sort of a "butt out" way? "You wouldn't understand X because you're a straight white cis male". Deserved for the most part, I understand where it comes from but I've not heard it used a positive, or even neutral, way generally.

I do think the strong reaction comes from the hubris of being a straight white cis person ironically. Like, "*I* don't understand something? I've been explaining things to all the people who need corrected for years! *You* don't get it!!"

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
Also, like someone said earlier, if you're seeing it like "cis scum" or something like that, "cis" is not the derogatory term there.

Cis is a necessary word for discussing the issues and, given its root in chemistry, is probably the most neutral 'safe' word that could be chosen for the purpose.

However, I think say that 'cis' when it is used in 'cis scum' is not a derotatory word doesn't quite add up. A few years ago, a footballer got into serious trouble for referring to a member of the other team as a 'black b-'. Could he argued that this wasn't racial abuse on the basis that 'black' is just descriptive and the insult is only contained in the other word.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
"Cisgender" reminds me of "Latinx" in the sense that it's a well-meaning term popular in academic and activist circles that has trouble gaining traction in the population it describes because it both sounds awkward and did not arise organically from the population. Unlike Latinx, it also has a "TERF"-y quality in that it's nominally a neutral description but used critically often enough that it takes on a negative connotation for some people when first encountered. Like asking a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant to call themselves a WASP in everyday life. It's fine as a sociological term, but it's hard to blame people for not identifying with a new and unfamiliar label.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
I feel like it came heavily into the vernacular with a pejorative connotation yeah. Not necessarily used as a slur but sort of a "butt out" way? "You wouldn't understand X because you're a straight white cis male". Deserved for the most part, I understand where it comes from but I've not heard it used a positive, or even neutral, way generally.
Hang out in less toxic spaces. I'm around trans folks all the time and don't hear it used in any kind of negative way that often. Vast majority of the time it's used in an appropriately neutral manner.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
"Cisgender" reminds me of "Latinx" in the sense that it's a well-meaning term popular in academic and activist circles that has trouble gaining traction in the population it describes because it both sounds awkward and did not arise organically from the population. Unlike Latinx, it also has a "TERF"-y quality in that it's nominally a neutral description but used critically often enough that it takes on a negative connotation for some people when first encountered. Like asking a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant to call themselves a WASP in everyday life. It's fine as a sociological term, but it's hard to blame people for not identifying with a new and unfamiliar label.
Do you... actually understand what TERF means? Because the idea that TERF and cisgender on the same level is really ridiculous. No one pretends that TERF is neutral. It's supposed to be an insult and was never intended to be neutral, unlike cis which just exists to be on the other side of the spectrum from trans.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
If you're seeing it used in a derogatory fashion, it's often likely to be in recompense for whatever transphobic crap has been put forth by the cis people in question.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
Do you... actually understand what TERF means? Because the idea that TERF and cisgender on the same level is really ridiculous. No one pretends that TERF is neutral. It's supposed to be an insult and was never intended to be neutral, unlike cis which just exists to be on the other side of the spectrum from trans.
I might be wrong, but I thought TERF started out as a factual description (radical feminism that excludes trans people), and got deployed often enough as an insult that it started the TERF IS A SLUR! nonsense as a backlash?

edit: At least that's what the creator of the term intended at first:

It was meant to be a deliberately technically neutral description of an activist grouping. We wanted a way to distinguish TERFs from other RadFems with whom we engaged who were trans*-positive/neutral, because we had several years of history of engaging productively/substantively with non-TERF RadFems.[SUP][14][/SUP]
While Smythe initially used TERF to refer to a particular type of feminist whom she characterized as "unwilling to recognise trans women as sisters", she has noted that the term has taken on additional connotations and that it has been "weaponised at times" by both inclusionary and exclusionary groups.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

If people want to create a "straight" version to this "heterosexual" feel free, but most of the people who are against are in ways that are like "i don't need it i already have NORMAL" and shit like that =P

TERF should have a negative conotation because it has "TRANS EXCLUSIONARY" on it since it is a shit idea to have. But people who don't have a proble with being Trans Exclusionary are people who have a problem with being called TERF which sounds very "being called transphobic is the real slur"

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
TERFs made "TERF" into an insult. Seems some cis people are determined to make "cis" into an insult, as well. Defensiveness does weird things.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might be wrong, but I thought TERF started out as a factual description (radical feminism that excludes trans people), and got deployed often enough as an insult that it started the TERF IS A SLUR! nonsense as a backlash?

No... That's not why TERFs claim TERF is a slur. It's because they're TERFs. TERF is no more a slur than homophobe, racist etc. You see racists get similarly heated when accurately labelled racists.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020

I'm not denying the origin, but pushing back against the fact that it's generally a neutral description in intent or usage. Like... being trans exclusive is only neutral if you're a shitlord. That's why everyone else has primarily used it as a pejorative because it's fundamentally NOT neutral and it's absurd to act like it is. It's a shitty stance and people are treating it correctly as such.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
No... That's not why TERFs claim TERF is a slur. It's because they're TERFs. TERF is no more a slur than homophobe, racist etc. You see racists get similarly heated when accurately labelled racists.
I thought TERFs were explicitly anti-trans though? That's like a neo-Nazi being offended at being called anti-Semitic. Like yeah, anti-Semitism is obviously wrong, but why would you take offense at the term if that's literally what you believe? Bizarre.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought TERFs were explicitly anti-trans though? That's like a neo-Nazi being offended at being called anti-Semitic. Like yeah, anti-Semitism is obviously wrong, but why would you take offense at the term if that's literally what you believe? Bizarre.
Because they just want to be seen as "feminists". Even though their form of feminism is in fact exclusionary, and they often happily work with right wing misogynists because they share a common cause of transphobia.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

They are not anti semitic, they only don't want jews anywhere near their country ... and media. and ...

It is like how racist shitheads talk about white genocide and not how awesome is black encarceration.

It is why JK Rowling has "i totally support trans people to exist but ...." every other paragraph when she is being transphobic as fuck
TERFs don't consider themselves anti trans because they (and i quote the exact shit i read a thousands of times) "consider trans men as part of sisterhood". So since they only "physicaly exclude" trans women, they are NOT trans exclusionary

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I'll be honest, I've never heard of it spoken in RL. Only seen pro and con arguments on the internet.
Yeah same. If fact this is the only place I have read it or heard it outside of the odd youtube video (I am not active on twitter).

Also not sure where it is supposed to come up in conversation in general. My trans friends don't really ever say "Hi, I am XXX and I am a trans man" nor do I, as a CIS person, ever bring up my gender. That said, no one in my social group falls outside of the common gender and trans groups... so not much explanation is necessary. Might be different if they were non-binary or belonged to another group with more complicated pronouns.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
You're a head in the sand kind of guy, it sounds like. Which makes sense since you have cis white male privilege.

You are a product of your society and were born with those privileges. They have undoubtedly contributed to who you are as a person today.
I am a product of my upbringing, yes.

That said, I'm not going to infringe on anyone else's desires to establish personal identifiers, especially if it's helpful in the discourse. You're free to be who you want to be and to describe the world as you see fit.

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Because from my personal experience, cisgender is usually accompanied with some snark towards the gender I identify with. I wouldn't be bothered if that trait of mine had been overemphasized over and over again. So yeah, when it becomes your main identifier as a way to single you out, it gets annoying. And I'm fine calling myself cisgender, just when the subjet at hand requires it, but some people like to say "Oh you don't like that because you are a "cis"" "I forgot you don't go there because you are a cis" or often being thrown out as a way of generalizing.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah same. If fact this is the only place I have read it or heard it outside of the odd youtube video (I am not active on twitter).

Also not sure where it is supposed to come up in conversation in general. My trans friends don't really ever say "Hi, I am XXX and I am a trans man" nor do I, as a CIS person, ever bring up my gender. That said, no one in my social group falls outside of the common gender and trans groups... so not much explanation is necessary. Might be different if they were non-binary or belonged to another group with more complicated pronouns.
It comes up when you're discussing differences between the trans and cis experience. Like when referencing how cis people don't need to jump through x, y or z hoops to get access to certain types of healthcare but trans people do. So on and so forth.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It comes up when you're discussing differences between the trans and cis experience. Like when referencing how cis people don't need to jump through x, y or z hoops to get access to certain types of healthcare but trans people do. So on and so forth.
That is what I mean. That is something I discuss maybe once a month and I could see myself using it then.

I just can't see it coming up regularly. Which is probably why it is having a hard time catching on in some ways.

I also think some people have it in their heads that they are expected to start every conversation they have with "Hi, I am XXX and I am a CIS gender man". Hence their wariness.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That is what I mean. That is something I discuss maybe once a month and I could see myself using it then.

I just can't see it coming up regularly. Which is probably why it is having a hard time catching on in some ways.

I also think some people have it in their heads that they are expected to start every conversation they have with "Hi, I am XXX and I am a CIS gender man". Hence their wariness.
Haven't come across that last paragraph personally but I'm not sure why (most) cis people would be talking about differences between cis and trans healthcare on the regular. For a lot of trans people it's a necessity and an issue that's directly relevant to our ability to live though.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Meanwhile, on the other side, me and a bunch folks like me have spent the last few years stressing stomach cells away over--for example--possibly being denied medical care and left to die in the event of an emergency by first responders and doctors for "religious freedom".
I know those feels especially as I am a disabled person also. Worst part is I was recently informed any real attempt to transition will probably kill me due to my health condition, and no competent/medically sound surgeon will perform surgery on me, once again forcing me into a permanent closet and untenable status quo against my will.

So anyone who has that big issue being labeled as cis, or worried about it being unpleasant, or even being all that upset when it is used insultingly considering what cis people in general label us and the way they treat us can kindly fuck right off.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Haven't come across that last paragraph personally but I'm not sure why (most) cis people would be talking about differences between cis and trans healthcare on the regular. For a lot of trans people it's a necessity and an issue that's directly relevant to our ability to live though.
I am a teacher of multiple trans students so these conversations come up regularly.

Teenage boys are weird.

I would say 80% of students are pretty accommodating though, and the other 20% is usually polite enough to be quiet about it at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.