• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen this a lot when discussing transphobia. It seems like some cis people don't want to be "labelled" cisgender, often with statements like "I am a woman, not cisgender!". Is this just something transphobes and TERFs consider a slur?

It's very odd to me as it's essentially just a descriptor to say someone identifies as the sex they are assigned at birth. Being cis doesn't replace someone as identifying as a man or woman. It's just very odd to me and I only see people objecting to the term when transphobia is being discussed.

It almost feels like that when transphobia is brought up, some cisgender people want to deflect and present cisgender people as victims too, for having to put up with "labels" they don't agree with such as this one. Seems like a complete false equivalence to me.

Is it something that's rooted in transphobia to object to this term? Would love to understand why somebody would consider it offensive or insulting as it seems like a completely understandable descriptor to me.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Because people would rather be stubborn for a lifetime than take 30 seconds to learn something new, process it, and implement it for the betterment of others.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Many of them are accustomed to a tremendous amount of privilege and as such, treat learning a new term and applying it to themselves like it's a gigantic inconvenient chore.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're used to being part of the accepted, "normal" group (in terms of gender), so they charge at realizing they're not necessarily the status quo.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Too busy labeling other people, can't understand the idea of being labeled.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Because those people (yes, a lot of TERFs and transphobes) see themselves as the default. The normal. In their mind there is no label for them other than, "normal". They use labels to define someone as the other, so when they get labeled it's seen as an attempt to be othered and that means they're no longer seen as normal. It's a threat to their defaultness.

Darth Karja

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the way it sounds. I'd be happy with a better sounding word. But it's also not a word I come across very often, so I really don't care.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because they're transphobic, inadvertently or otherwise and don't understand what gender identity even is. It's also just kind of a weird, uncommon word with no clear etymology for most people which heightens its sense of foreignness or otherness. I think there would be somewhat less friction against it if it came from a common root.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Labels are meant for the "others". You know, those type of people that are different from the default human."

OP
OP
Ryo Hazuki

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
They're used to being part of the accepted, "normal" group (in terms of gender), so they charge at realizing they're not necessarily the status quo.

Because those people (yes, a lot of TERFs and transphobes) see themselves as the default. The normal. In their mind there is no label for them other than, "normal". They use labels to define someone as the other, so when they get labeled it's seen as an attempt to be othered and that means they're no longer seen as normal. It's a threat to their defaultness.

Yeah this is an issue I've seen where some cis people will say "I'm just normal not cisgender", which is incredibly problematic. This definitely makes a lot of sense.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
imo It's because gender identity doesnt occupy the thoughts of most CIS people at all. So it feels weird to have an identity identifier when most CIS people don't consider it a part of their identity.

May 25, 2019
London
To be honest I think it's because they can't context clue what it means from just the term itself. Heterosexual and homosexual make sense because people are used to heterogeneous/homogeneous, either through schooling or literature or whatever. But maybe people have never used the cis- prefix before.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I always thought the terms sounded silly, but that is because I first learned heard cis/trans in the framing of chemical structures and functional groups being cis or trans in relation to a double bond. Yeah, so I got over that pretty quickly when grew up and became a functional adult.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
What I mean is if you are a trans woman and want to be referred to as a woman I'm not going to say no you are trans. I'm gonna say ok your a woman etc. I'm not going to add an extra identifier if you are cis or trans
as a cisgendered dude, i'd feel like i'm ignoring someone's struggle/experience if say...a trans man pointed out that i was cis, and i was like "nah bruh you and me we're both MEN" or some shit.

SimpleNothing

Jun 3, 2020
User banned (1 month): Inflammatory false equivalence, account in junior phase
Call people what they want to be called. If they don't want to be called "cis", then don't call them that.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
They don't want to accept that they're on an end of a spectrum, they want to be the default. The "normal". Everyone else is "abnormal"

Contrasting their being cis to others being trans or enby or agender makes them uncomfortable because it makes them actually think about their own gender identity. They don't like doing that. Think of it like a straight dude being made to consider whether or not he's actually bi or something--a lot of them, especially in prior years, react very poorly to such a prospect. They want to be "normal"

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Acknowledging that you're cisgender is an acknowledgment that trans people not only exist but share reality with you, and worse still, that you share the reality of complex gender identity and conformity/nonconformity with them.

This imo performs the same function as "i don't see race" or "i don't care if they're gay, i just don't want them here", etc.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never really heard about the term until maybe last year. If people want to call people that, why not? Its not like its associated with any discrimination unless I missed something.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i didnt even know it was a word that existed til i started browsing era/gaf.

im indifferent to the word tho

Mar 27, 2018
It's because they're a bunch of cissies who don't want to acknowledge there's a certain level of privilege applied to those who were born the gender they're supposed to be

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Either because they're real sticklers for etymology, or because they're used to cis privilege and hate having it named (and thus highlighted). You'll have to use context clues to figure it out, but uh, generally the former is pretty easy to get over if the latter isn't a factor as well.

Dec 30, 2020
"Labels aren't for me! I'm NORMAL!!! It's all the abnormal ones who get labels! NOT ME! NOT MEEEE!"

At least that's how I imagine their screeching justifications. Same for wearing masks.

n00bp

Oct 28, 2017
A while ago my girlfriend actually expressed annoyance with the term, arguing that it was unnecessary because she was "normal". I told her she was being a BIT transphobic and weird because why does she object to being called a cis woman when she has no problem with being called straight? Since in her world, being straight is also "normal".

We had a bit of back and forth about it and she ended up on the right side, so to speak.

Anyway, if someone actively HATES the term, then they're transphobic. Simple as that

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Let people be whoever they want to be. We really don't need to label everything.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Because they believe they are "normal", and therefore don't need to be classified in such a way.

The same people were probably equally as angry when the term heterosexual emerged.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I would never take issue with anybody (myself included) identifying me as being a cisgender man, but I don't think I would ever personally refer to myself as such in every day conversation unless the topic precluded it. Like for the sake of this thread, I'm a cisgender man. However if there's a thread that says "men of Era, how often do you (blank)", I'd just answer the question knowing that I fit the thread title.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
There's a lot of people out that use cis as a pejorative, with the "cis white male" probably being the most commonly used.
Saying that the term is only used as a descriptor is just being willfully obtuse.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Because:

Using the term, by implication, legitimizes the existence of trans people. Which is something bigot are not wont to do.

It's that simple.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017

This is all it comes down to.

It also sounds like "sissy" and "cyst".

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
People tend to get it when you compare it to "straight". Otherwise they have this weird perception that people want everyone to be called a "cis-man" or "cis-woman" always from now on, rather than it just being a word to differentiate when it's relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.