• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Because of the ridiculous devotion that they need to validate their consumption and choice of products by blindly devoting to their brand of choice as a replacement for having an actual personality.

It's not just videogames, Apple exists you know.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Then don't. Akka Arrh's a different discussion entirely.

You must have missed the rest of my post so I'll quote it for you:

I mean the people that would rather games are lost forever than someone dump a ROM for preservations sake, they just love these corporations and their rights so much, games being lost forever is preferable to attempts at preservation

You can see examples of that in the thread I linked in the OP

It's probably not the best example of that, but it is something that pops up in preservation threads

You are right though, I should have used a better example

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you haven't been paying attention
And time rolls on and on and on. Stores still get exclusive deals, items, products, etc., to this day.

I'm aware plenty of stores have broken anti-trust laws at some point in time or even very recent. Courts usually fine'em when they find'em, things go back to normal for awhile. Exclusivity of a product alone does not mean an anti-trust law was broken.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
No idea.

I was arguing with someone earlier who thought the Switch had GREAT online and the Join Game option (from the 3DS), messaging (from Swapnote and Wii), voice chat, invites, and parties were unnessecary because we had the smart phone app.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
There has always been an addictionto videogames but if you are referring to lootboxes then yes I agree but parenting comes into this. The child should not be able to spend hundreds of dollars in the first place online. I actually liked the way they did it in Forza because it just added a different twist. There was no real money involved but I could see it being a problem. Self control is key and so is locking up your credit card or locking down your childs account from being able to make purchases.

Parenting, true. But parents are not perfect and states sometimes kick in---for example, mandating vaccines or schooling.

Yes.

Those advocates are called parents.

?

Are you saying we don't need antitrust and competition policy because parents exist...?

The average age of the game buying and playing population is over 30

https://www.wepc.com/news/video-game-statistics/

33 for men, 37 for women. In terms of amount of time spent playing, 25-39 year old bracket is pretty comparable to the 18-24 year old bracket. These stats have been pretty consistent with demographic studies for a good 10 years now.

So are you confirming that people below 25 is a large parte of the gaming audience, right?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Parenting, true. But parents are not perfect and states sometimes kick in---for example, mandating vaccines or schooling.

?

Are you saying we don't need antitrust and competition policy because parents exist...?

So are you confirming that people below 25 is a large parte of the gaming audience, right?

They should mandate vaccines since parents can also be idiots.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The existence of an additional store front had never been an issue. In fact under normal circumstances it would be a sign of the growth of the pc market. In fact it is. The problems start coming out when you start considering the practices associated with the store. Arguing that the games will eventually get onto other stores is how companies inside and outside the games industry normalise anti-competitive and anti-consumer behaviour which is why people are pushing back against the store.

Outside that specific argument I am confused though. You argued that you would rather not have to launch a store launcher (specifically steam) to update your game. But aren't you gonna do this even if you purchased your game on the epic store anyway?

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Valve gets a free pass for their greedy 30% cut.
If were gonna drag the 30% cu t into the argument ( which I'm totally for)then we need to encourage this from not only valve but Sony, Nintendo, MS and all other publisher owned store fronts which sell third party titles.

Now that would be shaking up the market.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If were gonna drag the 30% cu t into the argument ( which I'm totally for)then we need to encourage this from not only valve but Sony, Nintendo, MS and all other publisher owned store fronts which sell third party titles.

Now that would be shaking up the market.

Do we grant them leeway for their R&D of hardware and other costs that Valve does not carry or is Live and Plus fees make all things equal?

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do we grant them leeway for their R&D of hardware and other costs that Valve does not carry or is Live and Plus fees make all things equal?
You would have to also include steams own R&D including steam boxes , controllers and game release frameworks which have made game publication and support very easy on steam.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017

?

People above 25 are an equally large if not larger part, so you're theory doesn't hold as much water as you think it does.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
can you provide an example of where the label is inaccurate? or are you more annoyed that you just keep seeing the same word over and over like the 50 year olds who get mad when they see words like "selfie"
I don't have the time or energy to search through 100+ gaming side threads just to appease you. I've seen the term used for when a game doesn't have a feature someone wanted, or it being used because a game was too hard, and so on.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
The tribalism and corporate worship has always ran deep on this site. That's just how videogames are. Especially among people who lack a strong sense of identity, so they tend to latch on to the things they enjoy as a stand-in for culture and act as if criticism against thing they like is a criticism on their character.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have the time or energy to search through 100+ gaming side threads just to appease you. I've seen the term used for when a game doesn't have a feature someone wanted, or it being used because a game was too hard, and so on.
This tells me that either the answer to my question is "no", or it's so infrequent that it's not a real problem.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England

Yeah, it's basically becoming interchangeable with "I don't like thing". The last straw for me was Nintendo being pegged as anti consumer because you couldn't use a game designed around joy con use with the Pro Controller.

Edit; was reading thread backwards and we are saying the same thing!

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We live in a world where you give capitalism the benefit of the doubt or you don't.

That and always looking out for the next great war.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
So it was just a hottake without any base behind it

And you dont need to search anything, if its so clear you could provide some examples.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's something specific labeled anti consumer that isn't?

The only one I can think of is companies not dropping prices or releasing expensive ports. That's not anti consumer as there's no deception or coercion.
one person on a gaming forum once said something was anti-consumer when it wasn't (don't ask me for proof tho I don't have the time) so I can't take anyone seriously when they say "anti-consumer" even though it's as straightforward of a term as there can be.

I am an intellectual

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
What's something specific labeled anti consumer that isn't?

The only one I can think of is companies not dropping prices or releasing expensive ports. That's not anti consumer as there's no deception or coercion.

Mario Party not allowing Pro controller use despite the game being specifically designed around joy con use, and every single person owning joy cons anyway.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
Often people take being neutral or stating facts as "defending" especially on boards like Era - you are either as disgusted or you are defending it.

See the cross plattform Sony issue - many PS4 owners had no issue saying that the feature isnt AS important to them on a personal level compared to other things Sony offers - but they were called out as defending Sony, being fanboys etc.

Too many users being insecure about their own opinions so they feel slighted whenever, not everyone is on the same train they are on.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The existence of an additional store front had never been an issue. In fact under normal circumstances it would be a sign of the growth of the pc market. In fact it is. The problems start coming out when you start considering the practices associated with the store. Arguing that the games will eventually get onto other stores is how companies inside and outside the games industry normalise anti-competitive and anti-consumer behaviour which is why people are pushing back against the store.
I wasn't arguing this, it's just a fact that EGS games will come to steam. The same can't be said about the games locked on steam coming to other launchers or non steam key storefronts (it all goes back to steam with the steam keys). I would have waited to get FFXII TZA on some other store like Origin (EA has awesome live CS), or Twitch Store (Amazon are the best with CS in my experience). I hear that Steam's CS have gotten better, but I'd rather cross that road when I have to and still look for alternative ways to buy the games I want. If I can't find the game on another launcher I still get it on steam anyway. Hopefully I'll never need to find out if their CS got better from experience.

Outside that specific argument I am confused though. You argued that you would rather not have to launch a store launcher (specifically steam) to update your game. But aren't you gonna do this even if you purchased your game on the epic store anyway?

I would rather not have to update the game to play it, especially single player or local multiplayer. I bet I can get around it by launching Steam in offline mode, but that's a lot of hoops for impulsively deciding to play a game from my organized Windows Start menu Games category. (steam updates and launches, then relaunch steam in offline mode). Games that don't require it's launcher to run are just awesome.

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's basically becoming interchangeable with "I don't like thing". The last straw for me was Nintendo being pegged as anti consumer because you couldn't use a game designed around joy con use with the Pro Controller.
Reminds me of aZaK, wherever they are now. Dunno if they made the jump over here. I remember they used to go on rants about Nintendo, said that the Switch releasing so barebones with lack of features was anti-consumer.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Well, not giving broad controller options could be anti consumer if it's ableist. It's not anti you, but it may be anti people with disabilities. You're just exposing your privilege here.

Companies should include accessibility options as much as possible, even if not as fun or perfect or for all specific sections.

Sometimes it's just plain BS. Like the docked controls of pokemon let's go. Probably anti consumer by being unnecessary ableist (portable controls already made and would work docked) but also just terrible design

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The tribalism and corporate worship has always ran deep on this site. That's just how videogames are. Especially among people who lack a strong sense of identity, so they tend to latch on to the things they enjoy as a stand-in for culture and act as if criticism against thing they like is a criticism on their character.
Yup.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
> you dont need to search
> search for examples

Maybe I should just start my work shift early from now on.
Did you really think nobody would ask for a simple clarification when you dropped such a vague statement in response to this thread?

You've had the time to drop into this thread, post your hot take, and then respond to five different posts about how you dont have the time to elaborate on your original post at all 🤔🤨🧐

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not difficult (on desktop, anyways. Search straight up doesn't work right for me on mobile). You're just not that important to me.
If you're going to waste your time responding to someone as important to me, could you at least answer my question?

Like choosing to reply to someone as unimportant as me five times without saying anything seems like an even bigger waste of time than just responding once after a very quick search. It's in the top right of your screen, it looks like this 🔍

Deleted member 54469

Mar 4, 2019
because people like you have destroyed the meaning of anti consumer

like really? a new product not being as good as something thats existed for much longer is anti consumer,? fuck off with that fucking bullshit

this x100

i'm so tired of "anti-consumer" being thrown around

a store having exclusive games/poaching titles =/= anti-consumer

a store lacking features that another store has =/= anti-consumer

a store you just don't like because it's not "the other one" and you're too rooted in their ecosystem that nobody liked when it came out either

=/= anti-consumer

i really hate playing games sometimes because now "gamers" really think they're the supreme court or something

Cladyclad

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Misrepresenting the concerns of other users, trolling. Prior warning for disruptive behaviour.
I'm sorry but PC dudes are weird to me with this Epic shit. It's not like u got to buy another fucking computer. Just download the app and buy the fucking game u want. I would never understand that shit. but I only want to play it on steam. I shouldn't have to wait. It's not fair lol

I try to understand and see points on anything. But that is so dumb to me.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
If you're going to waste your time responding to someone as important to me, could you at least answer my question?

Like choosing to reply to someone as unimportant as me five times without saying anything seems like an even bigger waste of time than just responding once after a very quick search. It's in the top right of your screen, it looks like this 🔍
I know where it is smartass. I just got done saying it does not work for me on mobile.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
If it's that difficult to find an example then it's not a common or significant problem.

You can find a bunch in here. A lot of the stuff highlighted is mainly users complaining:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/an...at-have-caused-you-to-spend-less-money.54872/

That was just a quick thread search to highlight. Without actually documenting each and every one as they arise, and they do frequently, not having a ready to deploy dossier isn't really a counter argument.