• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Take FF8 Remastered for example, which uses the PC version instead of the PS1 original. Or Valkyrie Profile Lenneth for the PSP, which uses the original JP game and not the the NA version which had a number of minor quality of life improvements. Just...why? What's the reasoning behind decisions like that? Why not use the best version of the game that exists?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what is available, ease of use, and what the development team originally worked on.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The prevailing theory (i think all but confirmed) is that the original PS1 FF8 source code is long gone, which is why everything is reverse-engineered from the EIdos PC version.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Most of the time it's because it's the easiest, and therefore cheapest, version to port.

Mar 8, 2018
Easiest version to port, disagreements about what the best version is, or the destruction/unavailability of original source code

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
In the case of FF8... haven't they lost the source code of the original PSX version or something like that?

It's usually a matter of which version is easier/cheaper to port, but there can be other variables like copyright issues, distribution rights issues, etc

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Could be tons of reasons - loss of source, expired rights for certain content, lack of knowledge of the ports existence, extra content added by another company the rights were sold too and not owned by the original company, lack of stability, company politics, etc.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Code availability, licensing, technical documentation, and in some cases, the devs themselves prefer a version of a game that a given player doesn't.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Take FF8 Remastered for example, which uses the PC version instead of the PS1 original. Or Valkyrie Profile Lenneth for the PSP, which uses the original JP game and not the the NA version which had a number of minor quality of life improvements. Just...why? What's the reasoning behind decisions like that? Why not use the best version of the game that exists?
They worked with the japanese version of VP:Lenneth because they're a Japanese studio. They probably forgot they added QoL changes to the NA version in the first place.

They're obviously not going to start from a source code of a game translated in a foreign language

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I heard with FF8 they lost the source code. Maybe it was easier to reverse engineer the PC port?

I'm sure with most games it's typically technical reasons like that.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Damn that's a lot of red tape. I guess also sometimes the original release has cleaner code and is easier to work with?

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
They worked with the japanese version of VP:Lenneth because they're a Japanese studio. They probably forgot they added QoL changes to the NA version in the first place.

They're obviously not going to start from a source code of a game translated in a foreign language

What? Source code is not magically translated to english when they make an english version of the game, lol.

The version they released also has english to begin with haha.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The English version of VP had some QoL tweaks over the Japanese version, but also some minor graphic content tweaks (removing a character's cigarette, etc). So that's another reason they might go with the original release for a remaster.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
PUBG on Stadia is based on the console versions (or at least it feels like it is) and I'd really like to know why. If it's because it was easier to port over the controller mappings, that's a really bad reason, heh.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
All those are Square games, and they probably don't have the original files. It's why the backgrounds on all the PS1 games are blurry.

It's a miracle we have stuff like Trials of Mana on the Mana Collection, but that's thanks to Nintendo not tossing out games submitted to them.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It depends on how easy the so called "Best" version is to convert from one platform to another without having to mess too much with the source code to have it work. There are times like we have seen with some older games where the source code of the original was flat out lost or thrown away. Thus they have to resort to using an inferior version as the port instead.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
When XSEED ported Ys 7 to Steam, fans found they were using the blurry PSP textures and not the nicer clean textures from the old chinese PC port. XSEED responded that they did not have access to those assets and were not allowed to use them, and promptly shut down any conversation on modding with said textures (they still have a sticky in the Steam forums about it).

So yeah, licensing is one of those things.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Ugh, this reminds of Halo 1 on MCC, which is a port of Halo CE Anniversary, which is basically a port of Halo PC, which in itself is a port of the original Xbox game

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
It's the same with FF7. All the versions you can buy now, even on playstation, are ultimately derived from the old 1998 PC port. It's why I still always use an emulator when replaying. Translation typos aside, the original PS1 version is superior to any port I've seen.

smug chocobo

Aug 30, 2018
Timely article from Ars on one major reason: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...gs-source-code-treasures-before-its-too-late/

Ars Commenter said:
The main advice I have is, don't go looking to build a AAA remake with 20 year old source code. Be VERY clear on what your expectations and investment in a commercial re-release.

Even if you get the source code, it's a double edged sword on commercial efforts - there are SO many quirks and massive design philosophical changes between then and today, it'd be like using a model T engine to build a racecar now.... nostalgia needs to be your goal otherwise you're better off going from the ground up. It's *really* hard to get it to function properly, let alone feel right with how many technological changes have occurred, esp for a complex game.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still bugs the shit out of me that Capcom didn't use the home versions for the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection because of some bizarre need to promote it as being 'arcade perfect'. So there was no playable Gill in any of the SF3 games and about six characters missing from Alpha 3 (10 if you include the PSP version). And they probably did it because people bitched and moaned about SF5 not having an arcade mode when it came out, despite no one using it when they eventually added it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
PC ports seem to be easier in general to move over, at least up until the PS2 generation. They're built for a more flexible base, whereas the original versions are built around a specific piece of hardware.

It'd be fine in practice if a lot of the PC ports from the late '90s/00's weren't so janky. Sonic Adventure, the Final Fantasy's... It's remarkable Bluepoint didn't use the PC port of MGS2 for that HD collection.

It's the same with FF7. All the versions you can buy now, even on playstation, are ultimately derived from the old 1998 PC port. It's why I still always use an emulator when replaying. Translation typos aside, the original PS1 version is superior to any port I've seen.

Helps that there's a romhack to inject the updated PC translation, too.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
When XSEED ported Ys 7 to Steam, fans found they were using the blurry PSP textures and not the nicer clean textures from the old chinese PC port. XSEED responded that they did not have access to those assets and were not allowed to use them, and promptly shut down any conversation on modding with said textures (they still have a sticky in the Steam forums about it).

Wasnt the Chinese version lacking some gfx too because it was hardcoded, compared to the psp version?

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hill HD Collection was made with incomplete source code.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Weirdly I can't find much about the differences online, I only knew that they had (much) better textures.

I remember reading about it because I had played the Chinene port long before the Xseed release. On the other hand Xseed does not support ultrawide screen, while Chinese version resolution can be modified at will

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
PC ports seem to be easier in general to move over, at least up until the PS2 generation. They're built for a more flexible base, whereas the original versions are built around a specific piece of hardware.

It'd be fine in practice if a lot of the PC ports from the late '90s/00's weren't so janky. Sonic Adventure, the Final Fantasy's... It's remarkable Bluepoint didn't use the PC port of MGS2 for that HD collection.

Helps that there's a romhack to inject the updated PC translation, too.

Nostalgia means I kind of prefer the unfixed translation, even where it doesn't make any sense lol. "Hmm... so that's how you'll fool them"

What isn't nostalgia though is the janky frame rate on the PC port. Slots (like in the battle arena) on the PS1 version are fluid and easy to control. On PC it's all a blur, making it impossible to game. These things drive me crazy!

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
With FFVIII do they even have the PC code? I mean from the original PC release in 2000 or whenever

Nov 1, 2017
Still bugs the shit out of me that Capcom didn't use the home versions for the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection because of some bizarre need to promote it as being 'arcade perfect'. So there was no playable Gill in any of the SF3 games and about six characters missing from Alpha 3 (10 if you include the PSP version). And they probably did it because people bitched and moaned about SF5 not having an arcade mode when it came out, despite no one using it when they eventually added it.
I'm certain that had nothing to do with with wanting "arcade perfect" ports and everything to do with the fact that they had a working CPS1/2/3 emulator and it was far easier to just do a basic rom dump than it would be to for instance port the PSP version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 or the PS2/XB version of Hyper Street Fighter 2 or whatever. Capcom are notorious doing this, look no further than the trainwreck that is the Devil May Cry "HD" Collection on PS4/XB1 which is a quick and dirty port of the PS3/X360 version which in itself is a seriously low effort "fuck it, this will do" port of the PS2 games. I bet they're gutted the PS5 and XSX|S are backwards compatible so they can't throw out yet another port of that game done in 20 minutes by some kid doing work experience for free.

You would think they would treat the legacy of Street Fighter, arguably their most iconic franchise with a little more care and respect but apparently not. Still, at least Final Fight got a really great modern port, so that's something at least.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

Chinese ports of Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki also featured cleaner textures, and hi-resolution sprites over Falcom's PSP originals. For some reason, when the Kai versions were announced and subsequently released Falcom opted not to use the new textures from the PC port (probably because they were produced by the Chinese publisher and not by them... and also some of them were actually completely redone). Which is odd, because they had absolutely no problem with them when they released Zero no Kiseki on PC themselves back in the day.

Zero Kai (720p stream screenshot)
qC0snPN.png

Zero PC (Geofront release)
4Z3GIgE.png