• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For those of you who like them, I'm genuinely curious what you find most appealing? Also, which games do you like best in that genre?

I'm surprised that people are so into Metroidvania-style games. It is an immediate turn off to me. For example, it was the thing I liked least about the Tomb Raider games. It just made me frustrated running into so many roadblocks of places I couldn't enter yet. I have no desire to back track later when I have new equipment. Seems like the opposite of fun to me. I also loved Ori DESPITE the Metroidvania structure.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
People like and dislike different things?

I like backtracking personally. I like being immersed in the world, getting new upgrades and being able to unlock new areas and progress. What those things are to you as not fun and bad are good to other people.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
They are great games but I can't help but feel like some developers never actually understood the positioning and design that Super Metroid had when they make their own.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
For me part of the appeal is the backtracking, but mostly combined with finding new abilities in the world. Realizing "Oh i could use this in this one spot!" and going back to try it out is fun. Its still backtracking but in the best metroidvanias it feels like part of solving a puzzle or something i actively want to do instead of forced.

Last edited:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The sense of progression, world exploration, and upgrading in a Metroivania style game is just really satisfying to me. I like finding new items, and thinking about where in the game world they'll be useful. I like seeing my character progress from a weakling with limited weapons, to a badass who can take on previous enemies with ease.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
If done well, the backtracking is nice because it feels like you're mastering the game world. You're figuring out the fastest ways through it, you're remembering what roadblocks you encountered and thinking about what powers would get past them, etc.

For me it's a similar feeling that someone would get out of learning a hard combo in a fighting game.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It's a fantastic way to create a real sense of "place."

Look at the origins of the genre and term. Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night. You remember that planet, every nook and cranny. That castle. Controlled space that you get to explore, master, and "own" by the end of the game through your expanded set of abilities and growth as a player. You''re conquering a space, instead of just defeating an enemy. Exploration and atmosphere is usually key for those games. It's something that's hard to achieve in that way in a linear game or and open world-games.

Monolith

Oct 25, 2017
I like them because of the backtracking. The anticipation of finding out what's behind that roadblock is wonderful.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In short, sense of discovery mixed with very immersive and simply structured storytelling.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
I love the exploration and sense of progression of Metroidvania games. To me backtracking to explore the world and find upgrades is more fun than a linear type structure.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I personally like them for the exploration, and the excitement I get from finding a new tool that lets me explore more of the map. Hollow Knight did this the best imo.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
People enjoy exploring a rich interconnected world that loops unto itself, and the feeling of growth that you get as you obtain new abilities that allow you to reach places you haven't before and gives you more combat options. It gives you the kind of "immersion" that a level-based game wouldn't really be able to achieve by having everything segmented from everything else.

So basically people like it for the reasons you dislike it.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
lol not sure what kind of question this is, as someone else answered above, it's just random humans like different things

personally I also despise side scrolling Metroidvanias too, but that doesn't mean I think every other human does

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The sense of progression, world exploration, and upgrading in a Metroivania style game is just really satisfying to me. I like finding new items, and thinking about where in the game world they'll be useful. I like seeing my character progress from a weakling with limited weapons, to a badass who can take on previous enemies with ease.

Took the words out of my mouth. This is exactly why I and probably a lot of people love it. I don't mind backtracking when I have new ways to do it and I know I'm gonna find something new too.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea of exploring a world that will slowly become more and more open as I explore and get more and more abilities that open more and more pathways. I like finding a door or weird thing I don't know what to do with and then when I get a new toy that works on that obstacle, I like going back and finding what is behind there. I like how the more you get into the game the more options you have on where to go next, either to find out the next point of progression (if it isn't marked on your map, or how to get there if it is) or to get upgrades that improve your character.

It's just so satisfying getting given a map and slowly just uncovering it all. Also, as they are typically side-scrollers, I enjoy 2D games and I like seeing what they do with the combat and movement options.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I enjoy backtracking and exploration, getting a new item and then figuring out what new stuff it opens up for you. Its the main reason why I missed classic style resident evil games.

I also dont like that so many games try to call themselves metroidvanias today when they actually have little to no required backtracking and exploration. Randomly generated metroidvanias also kind of defeat the purpose of it imo.

Last edited:

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I didn't grow up with 2d side scrolling games so I didn't develop any love for them. Tried some and hated them. But I won't complain about them or anything. People like different stuff.

Edit: So not all of them are exactly 2d sidescrollers but a lot of them are. However based on the other description of backtracking to unlock stuff, I've played 3D games like that and don't mind them. I still hate 2d sidescrollers though.

Last edited:

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
For those of you who like them, I'm genuinely curious what you find most appealing? Also, which games do you like best in that genre?

I'm surprised that people are so into Metroidvania-style games. It is an immediate turn off to me. For example, it was the thing I liked least about the Tomb Raider games. It just made me frustrated running into so many roadblocks of places I couldn't enter yet. I have no desire to back track later when I have new equipment. Seems like the opposite of fun to me. I also loved Ori DESPITE the Metroidvania structure.
Tomb Raider's Metroidvania model is a bad one, you being fine with Ori means you should probably give the model another chance.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
for me, it's the excitement of getting an item/move/technique and knowing i can open up the world with it.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
The sense of progression you get from all of the upgrades you acquire throughout the game is a large part of the appeal as well. Watching a character grow from weakling to badass over the course of the game is always fun.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Like most games (or anything really), it's satisfying to get better and more proficient. A lot of games now do this through RPG elements where you're stats get better. Then there's fighting games where you as a player get better instead of unlocking new abilities in the game.

Metroidvanias are kinda the half step between the in-game character being stronger as the player progresses and the player becoming more familiar with the world. They work together where getting an new ability along with your knowledge of the world, opens up new possibilities to explore or the the inverse where knowledge of an alternate route opens up a path to a new ability.

Though personally I'm not a fan of the -vania additions to the Metroid formula, it just adds to much bloat.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
So I like Metroidvania games, they have a great sense of discovery, and ask you to remember where certain things are for backtracking, and it leads to a lot of "ah-hah!" moments, but I hate the Castlevania games in that style. I've always found the layouts to be boring as hell and the games incredibly easy and unbalanced.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The sense of exploration is definitely the biggest draw for me. The best Metroid-like games I've played are like multi-faceted puzzle labyrinths, but with less abstract distinct puzzles and that are generally more contextualized within the game's setting than something like a typical Zelda dungeon.

That contextualizarion can make it feel like I'm exploring a space station or lost kingdom rather than just moving through series of puzzle and challenges rooms. The sense that I'm find secrets or places that didn't exist just to be found goes a long way in making the experience special to me.

When an entire game map is immediately open and every part is immediately and easily accessible, the sense of it being meaningful to traverse the game's world can be lost.

Osiris397

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I think it speaks to the same types of sentiments Bungie developers discussed years back now when answering a similar question about Destiny. When Metroidvania devs build a satisfying game loop people that look to scratch that itch go to those kinds of games hoping to find a satisfying game loop.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
A well designed one will give you a really nice sense of accomplishment and completion as you progress through the world.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I like exploring. I like abilities that allow me to explore more. A good metroidvania will have shortcuts to bring you back to important places and you get used to noting areas or patterns of interest so that when you find the right power up there is a moment where you "Aha! That dumb jump back at f17 needed this power!".

Also, mapping is another important aspect. Slowly filling out the map and seeing the areas you have discovered. Seeing the carefully crafted dungeon spread out before you will all the secrets uncovered, loot claimed, bosses vanquished etc. is a satisfying feeling few other games offer anything similar to.

I am also a fan of side scrollers and brawlers so if you have a half decent combat system I'm sold already.

I guess with some of the newer entries I love the different ideas for powers or mechanics the games bring. There are similarities yet differences to enjoy. Each has their own difference to how you play them.

Some of my favourites are Metroid/Castlevania, Ori, Hollow Knight, Momodora 4, Outland and Fortune Summoners (even if I probably won't have the patience to adjust to this one's combat again).

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Metroidvania used to be a big selling point to me, I think the idea of upgrading and finding secrets is exciting. Lately, I'd say it's a turn-off, second only to "rogue-like". There's just so many of them right now that don't do a lot differently.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
People like and dislike different things?
Why so many people love sports games?
Why so many people love jrpg games?
Why so many people love fighting games?

Because people like different things.
lol not sure what kind of question this is, as someone else answered above, it's just random humans like different things
OP's asking: "I'm genuinely curious what you find most appealing?". OP's asking WHAT do you like about the genre. There's no need to get defensive with rhetorical questions and non-answers.

I like that you don't simply progress in a linear way, like level after level, but you get to see areas again you have already visited. And ideally these areas have slightly changed in layout, items, obstacles, or enemies. I like that you have to find items to proceed, because it adds meaning to the items on a world-level; they aren't simply an additional tool you can use if you like or don't. It is also intriguing to find a path that is closed at first glance and you wonder how and when do you get there; if there's simply another way or do need something you don't have yet. It doesn't have to be necessarily an item, it could also be an NPC that helps you or another event that triggers the progress.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Exploring deep into a map, finding uncharted territory and discovering shortcuts back to where you started is an exciting feeling. Doing so with new tools to explore previously unreachable areas adds to that excitement.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
It's the joy of exploration.

That feeling you got as a kid when you discovered a shortcut from A - B and it changed your experience of your environment.

If your game progression is linear and 1 direction, you can't have that.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I like the idea of wanting to move into a new area but can't immediately get into it. It creates a sense of mystery and like a puzzle, I have to find out what I'm missing. It can give me a little glimpse of a new area without letting me see it all at once. It creates a desire to want to get back but then not worry if I stray off and remember to visit later.

Definitely not a fan of linear progress in my games. It needs to be changed up, create some discontinuity, throw me off, etc. Make me think about how I need to move forward, don't just lay it all out easy for me to just blindly walk through.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Both Ori and Tomb Raider are bad examples of metroidvania (though Ori is a great platformer). Metroidvania is not about placing roadblocks only to tell you at some later point what and when you need to get through them. It's about combining platforming and exploration and leaving the player to puzzle an intricate connected world out. That's what I love about games like Hollow Knight or Super Metroid.

When you add copious handholding to the formula like the games OP mention I can see how all the metroidvania elements ('roadblocks') lose all interest and can become simply annoyances.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They're a nice balance between open world and linear. Like a kind of manageable open world where more thought was put into every corner than something like just cause which has a lot of empty ground or copy pasted bases

I like that bit of character plus freedom because I'm a story driven guy who also likes the immersion of being in character in the world where I want. GoW and Batman are two of my favorites for this

Oh also they're more manageable for us completists

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Usually Metroidvania games have your character undergoing several power-ups which lead to a strong feeling of accomplishment which is emphasized by backtracking and visiting areas that become accessible only thanks to said upgrades. Especially if you are a a completionist you should be interested in this genre.