• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
TheDanger

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because it's not the rule to do it that way, so it's easy to forget I guess

um yeah it is? There is literally no way "it's" can mean anything other than "it is" or "it has" no matter the context. So it is always incorrect to use "it's" for "its" (possessive). E.g: "The jury has reached its decision." You can't say "The jury has reached it is decision."

Last edited:

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
This and unnecessary possessives are one of the most common grade school level mistakes I see people make.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Its usage goes against one of the more monolithic rules in the English language. I can't really think of any other situation where the possessive apostrophe wouldn't be used.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I know the difference, but my autocorr always changes it to " it's " . Most of the times I fail to notice, other times I do notice, but just don't care.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I can explain it by my phone sucking. No matter how many times I fix an intended "its" back to be "its" from the phone having changed it to "it's", the phone doesn't remember it the next time I write its but tries to change it to "it's" even though it should be learning these things/"new words" I enter.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
um yeah it is? There is literally no way "it's" can mean anything other than "it is" or "it has" no matter the context. So it is always incorrect to use "it's" for "its" (possessive). E.g: "The jury has reached its decision." You can't say "The jury has reached it is decision."
I'm just talking about it being different than the typical "rule" not that it can somehow be anything. It's its own rule, a different rule that doesn't follow common convention

Oct 27, 2017
At least an its/it's mix-up can be put down to an autocorrect error or simply a typo (as opposed to a fundamental misunderstanding of English grammar). "Would of" instead of would've, on the other hand, has no such excuse, it just sounds grammatical trolling.

Disclaimer: Not a native speaker :p

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Most phones autocorrect to it's regardless of context. So people on Mobile often have an extra step to take if they want to fix it.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty much of the opposite opinion of the OP. The its/it's thing is probably the most forgivable grammar error I can think of and is a wonderful example of how the rules of the English language can appear completely arbitrary.

Nov 14, 2017
It's absolutely crazy to me, do so many people not know that "it's" is short for it is/it has?

This forum is usually really great with grammar and spelling, but possessive "its" spelled "it's" is by far the most common mistake I see here and everywhere else.

I don't get it, I mean it's less work to not type the apostrophe. It's even like this in movie/game/tv show subtitles a lot, how does that happen?

I really like that someone made a website for this http://its-not-its.info/
Because it's an easy mistake to make when typing and autocorrect won't pick it up. Even the auto-grammar on a Mac won't usually highlight its/it's.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
The same reason people put apostrophes in plurals like 1980s or CDs.

Thank you!

I'm a writing tutor, which might make you think I'm pedantic about grammar and language, but in reality most things don't bother me simply because I see them all the time. But apostrophes in plurals drive me up a wall. The only thing worse is "of" in place of "have" and the constant use of the noun form of "hype" in place of the verb of adjectival form.

I'd like a site like that but for "whom".

God, I see so many students who constantly use "whom" incorrectly, and it's so easy to tell that they are just trying to pepper it in to their writing without understanding why. I always tell them when in doubt to just use "who". More often than not that will suffice.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes the autocorrect doesn't catch the apostrophe and I don't care enough to add it in myself.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For all intensive purpose, its something I could care less about

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, when you make a wildly incorrect post about a rule you should refuse to acknowledge that you were wrong and instead hide the evidence.
You're taking it very literally. I was trying to say the rule that people commonly know isn't that way, it's its own rule, but I didn't realize people would run with the assumption that I literally don't know how words work

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone tell me the proper use of effect vs affect? Yes, English isn't my first language :(

If you're using it as a noun, the correct choice is almost always "effect"; "affect" is a psychological technical term.

As a verb, "affect" is used to
*convey pretense, e.g. "he affected an air of sophistication" or "he affected a good mood despite his frustration"
*indicate that something impacts something/has an effect on something, e.g. "the shitbag president of the US is adversely affecting the global economy"

"Effect", on the other hand, is used to indicate that something is brought about, e.g. "in a non-shitty timeline, congress effected sweeping firearm reforms".

Take it with a grain of salt though, I'm not a native speaker.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The only time I would expect good grammar standards or really even judge someone's grammar is in an academic or business setting. Don't get me wrong, it's great to have good grammar otherwise, but if people get a few things wrong or are bellow average, I just assume it's someone being a bit quick with their writing, English isn't their first language, or even that they may be from a less privileged background. All of which are perfectly fine. For myself, it's been decades since I've been in an environment where I've had to regularly practice good grammar standards and they've weakened over the years.

Eclipse

Jan 31, 2018
Germany
I'm pretty sure most are just too lazy to type it out. "Its" is just easier to type. It's not really the same when someone writes doesnt instead of doesn't or Im instead of I'm but you get me.

Oct 27, 2017
As is always the case with grammar issues like this, the fact is a lot of people, myself included, completely ignore them in casual typing. The only reason this it's and this they're have apostrophes is because my autocorrect put them there.

Basically, who gives a shit?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's absolutely crazy to me, do so many people not know that "it's" is short for it is/it has?

This forum is usually really great with grammar and spelling, but possessive "its" spelled "it's" is by far the most common mistake I see here and everywhere else.

I don't get it, I mean it's less work to not type the apostrophe. It's even like this in movie/game/tv show subtitles a lot, how does that happen?

I really like that someone made a website for this http://its-not-its.info/

Hold on right there ...

No, but really, it's a common mistake in English, along with mixing up "loose" and "lose", "affect" and "effect", and others. I see their misuse here, very frequently.

It doesn't help that spellcheck doesn't catch them.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I have a blind spot for homonyms. I think it's because the speech areas of my brain compose my thoughts before I write them. If I stop and recognize I'm about to type one, I know the right one to use, but they often slip through.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Its not that we're getting it wrong, its just easier and trivial to correct. Can't really compare it to a misspelled word either since it's more on punctuation.

*The first 2 it's were intentional since my phone automatically enters the word as it's based on my text.

Now a lot and alot is another story.

Paltheos

Oct 25, 2017
Because English is a dumb language. 'Apostrophe (s)' is regularly used both to indicate possession and as a contraction, so why is it suddenly different for this pronoun?

I understand it and usually get it right and it's definitely a little peeve of mine because of how hard it was drilled into me, but I don't get upset at people for the mistake.

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
i just sing the Strongbad song "If you want a possessive, it's just I-T-S. But if you want a contraction, it's I-T-apostrophe-S" in my head constantly.

Fallen92

Oct 26, 2017
California
I find it less annoying than all the people who use "an" wrong. "an" goes before a vowel sound not a consonant.
Ex) an English tourist
But everyone just uses it wrong sometimes putting it before a consonant.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those things that I sometimes just don't bothering mentally checking to see if I used the correct one.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY