• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Like on smash boards his thread has the most posts and they are very upset that he's once again relegated to a Mii costume and I'm like why?

of all the iconic video game characters. People want a one-game wonder? (Which I know is due to legal issues between Nintendo and Square but still and yes I know he cameoed in the first Mario and Luigi but I don't count that)

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
He is iconic of a strong third party relationship with Nintendo.

Also character is pretty fucking cool, and as you said yourself, sadly has been underused.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I mean there are plenty of "irrelevant" characters in Smash. People want what they want. I like Geno, I get it. Imagine how some of us felt with K. Rool or Ridley. It eventually happened. After Ultimate Geno's chances of getting in can only go up.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I wanted to Smash Bros to stick to limited third parties, and to keep more in Nintendo's universe of characters. Geno falls under that. I wish we got the Chorus Kids like how it was rumored in the past.

zFSTz

Sep 28, 2020
fandom, nostalgia, history in smash --> Square probably told Sakurai to f* off with his wishes to add more music and Geno because they only care about FF7R marketing

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because he has been on the desired list since the Melee era. It's just a super deep cut that would make some people pretty happy. Not that he's relevant or popular. But BECAUSE it's such a deep reach that people have wanted for forever.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because they want to waste a space. waluigi is infinitely more interesting than this character. waluigi would still be a massive waste of a space too.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nostalgia. and a Square + Nintendo collab. Super Mario RPG was my first RPG game I played and enjoyed every bit of it and I liked Geno and Mallow.

Cuboid 64

Oct 28, 2017
He's cool! Why does anyone want someone in Smash? I can fully envision a timeline where he got in in Ridley's place.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Memeing, there is a list of characters that deserve it more and have a waaaay better chance.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Because people wanted it back around the time of Melee-Brawl when it was a lot more realistic and seemingly aren't able to let go.

I agree the pick makes no sense in 2020, and hopefully the mii costume returning (not even a deluxe one) is the final nail in the coffin on this.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
You are going to get a lot of answers from Smash fans but there is only one reason: wanting Geno has simply become a fixture of Smash culture. Because someone three cycles ago pitched the idea, it was received well, and it has spread ever since as a Smash Bros tradition. He is an honorary Smash character at this point. People want Geno in Smash because wanting Geno in Smash is part of liking the brand.

It came to a point with Smash Ultimate because it was the game of dreams that was going to give Smash fans everything they ever wanted and Geno has been MIA this entire time. A lot of people really hoped this would be it. But it is not to be.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I appreciate is that it's a deep cut Nintendo character. Also the Mario RPG art style is a more natural fit then some of the characters we've gotten.

Mmmmkay

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I've never played Mario RPG. What is his story relevance, personality, moveset? Seriously none of his fans ever actually explain this.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It was initially because people didn't expect many third parties in Brawl, so asking for Geno seemed for feasible due to him being partially Nintendo. However, afterwards it was all basically a feedback loop of Smash's own fanbase. A lot of the demand for him had died by the time of the Wii U game, but then it was reborn when Sakurai talked about how he thought he could be a neat fighter in an interview.

sourcegaming.info

Nintendo Dream Interview with Sakurai: Part 3

Sakurai discusses stages and costumes in Smash for 3DS/ Wii U.
What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?
Sakurai: To tell the truth, it's because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn't become a reality.

Because of that, you added him as a Mii Costume this time?
Sakurai: That's right. He's very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn't appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume.

This interview made Geno seem actually feasible, which then made him get more requested.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
I can't speak for anyone but I do think the character is really cool and oddly something about him has really stuck in my mind as something that should be playable in Smash Bros.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's just Sakurai saying he would like to put Geno in Smash and since that day, fans have been clamoring for this to happen.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Cool puppet with gun hands in one of the best games of all time. Game should get a rep so why not add the coolest character from the game?

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved Super Mario RPG and barely remember this character. I think actual icons of gaming like Lara Croft and Q*bert are more worthy to include but maybe I'm in the minority.

Oct 27, 2017
You are going to get a lot of answers from Smash fans but there is only one reason: wanting Geno has simply become a fixture of Smash culture. Because someone three cycles ago pitched the idea, it was received well, and it has spread ever since as a Smash Bros tradition. He is an honorary Smash character at this point. People want Geno in Smash because wanting Geno in Smash is part of liking the brand.

It came to a point with Smash Ultimate because it was the game of dreams that was going to give Smash fans everything they ever wanted and Geno has been MIA this entire time. A lot of people really hoped this would be it. But it is not to be.
Absolutely not. I like Smash but hate geno. Liking Smash doesn't mandate liking/wanting certain character, the Smash fandom isn't so singe-minded.

Querilous

Oct 27, 2017
if you want a Mario RPG rep then Paper Mario is both infinitely more relevant and has infinitely more moveset potential. Geno is a meme.